Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 9:35:51 AM   
SoMnFan

Great help stories guys, all of you.
Can learn a lot from good people who go thru similar stuff.
Many familiar storylines here.
Love seeing everyone pitch in and help one another with positive vibes.
Pretty sure we all think we're gonna stay 18 longer than anyone else, I know I did.
As I edged toward 55, it sunk in that it was gonna take some changes, gotta be done.
Ya Do what ya gotta do.
Post #: 1151
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 9:52:49 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

The first good thing is that Todd went to get himself checked...

The second good thing is that for bettor or worse, he knows that there is a problem and he wants, however reluctantly, to confront it.

The third good thing is that he has a "support group, in all of us to help him out.

The final thing is on Todd.

I have peaked in on your facebook page time and again.

Your video's are hilarious.

The practical joke stuff is killing me..

You seem to be a fun guy and as I said I truly regret treating you like a dick in the past.

If I had the means, i'd come to Fn cold ass canada and help you make some changes..

but i don't..

All you get is my helpful ranting on a backwater internet message board..

https://youtu.be/90C-Wx_uGdM?t=41

I'm gonna make a change
For once in my life
It's gonna feel real good
Gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right

As I, turn up the collar on
My favorite winter coat
This wind is blowing my mind
I see the kids in the streets
With not enough to eat
Who am I to be blind?
Pretending not to see their needs

A summer disregard, a broken bottle top
And a one man soul
They follow each other on the wind ya' know
'Cause they got nowhere to go
That's why I want you to know

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change1

I've been a victim of a selfish kind of love
It's time that I realize
That there are some with no home, not a nickel to loan
Could it be really me, pretending that they're not alone?

A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind ya' see
'Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me

Take a look at yourself, and then make a change

Take a look at yourself and then make that
Change!

(Oh yeah!)
(Better change!)
No message could have been any clearer
Take a look at yourself and then make the change)
You gotta get it right, while you got the time
You can't close your, your mind!

(Then you close your, mind!)
That man, that man, that man, that man
With the man in the mirror
(Man in the mirror, oh yeah!)
That man, that man, that man
(Better change!)
No message could have been any clearer
Take a look at yourself and then make the change

Oh no, no no

I'm gonna make a change
It's gonna feel real good!
Chime on!
(Change)
Just lift yourself
You know
You've got to stop it
Yourself!
(Yeah! Make that change!)
I've got to make that change, today!
Hoo!
(Man in the mirror)
You got to
You got to not let yourself
Brother
Hoo!
(Yeah! Make that change!)
You know, I've got to get
That man, that man
(Man in the mirror)
You've got to move! Chime on!
Chime on!
You got to
Stand up! Stand up! Stand up!
(Yeah! Make that change)
Stand up and lift yourself, now!
(Man in the mirror)
You know it!
You know it!
You know it!
You know it
(Change)
Make that change

Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror Lyrics | MetroLyrics

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/9/2016 9:54:20 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1152
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 10:34:19 AM   
bstinger

Todd, I don't know if your married or what your relationship status is, but one very nice perk to having gotten in better shape is that my love life with the Mrs. has improved a lot. She loves the trimmer more muscular me. I use that as motivation when I'm working out.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1153
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 10:52:09 AM   
David Levine

This thread is awesome.

It puts any arguments from the sports thread into perspective. We've all been here for so long that we really are like a family. So yeah, we fight and yell and act like jerks at times. But when the chips are down, we're there to help.

I'm damn proud of this place right now.
Post #: 1154
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 11:22:28 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

This thread is awesome.

It puts any arguments from the sports thread into perspective. We've all been here for so long that we really are like a family. So yeah, we fight and yell and act like jerks at times. But when the chips are down, we're there to help.

I'm damn proud of this place right now.

Yes. I got goosebumps and good vibes reading all the positive messages. So did my wife when I shared some of them.
Post #: 1155
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 11:25:26 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

Todd, I don't know if your married or what your relationship status is, but one very nice perk to having gotten in better shape is that my love life with the Mrs. has improved a lot. She loves the trimmer more muscular me. I use that as motivation when I'm working out.

Sadly my wife is probably definable as morbidly obese. She has different health issues, vertigo being the main one, and not sure how/if it relates...

But my making changes will force her to make changes. And she is more than on board with making the effort and it can't do anything but help. Only a matter of time before her numbers turn to shit like mine...somehow she's managed to be "ok".
Post #: 1156
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 11:30:32 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duane Sampson
I found the key was not cold turkey, but doing both. Worked for me. Well over 13 months and home-free after 38 years of smoking. Thanks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

The cigs thing to me is mind over matter. Will power alone is the best means of quitting. Trying to cut down and sucking on vapor shit is a copout to me. Does everyone have the necessary will power? Obviously not by the huge number who don't accomplish their goal. But I've said it for years, IMO if a person wants to quit badly enough, that should be all that's required. Some folks

And here's my struggle right now. I am prepared to 'lock myself in' and purge my system. Of nicotine, pop, and junk food.

But most say take it in manageable steps...you're setting yourself up to fail etc...

I'm for sure giving up regular pop. Feel ready to 'crumple the pack' and willing to give up chips, chocolate, and candy in favor of healthier options...

I'm not saying 180...but I think I am going to try 145.
Post #: 1157
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 11:31:24 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

Sadly my wife is probably definable as morbidly obese. She has different health issues, vertigo being the main one, and not sure how/if it relates...

But my making changes will force her to make changes. And she is more than on board with making the effort and it can't do anything but help. Only a matter of time before her numbers turn to shit like mine...somehow she's managed to be "ok".

Hopefully you'll enjoy watching each other shrink. My wife wasn't too heavy looking when I started my changes, about 140-145, now she's 125 and looking great too.

--twinsfan
Post #: 1158
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 11:32:50 AM   
Todd M

Failed on my first glucose test. Simple stuff...was shown how to do it...still failed. Why must I suck at everything new!

edit: 5 pricks later - results!

< Message edited by Todd M -- 2/9/2016 11:49:49 AM >
Post #: 1159
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 11:47:37 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

I found the key was not cold turkey, but doing both. Worked for me. Well over 13 months and home-free after 38 years of smoking. Thanks.

quote:

The cigs thing to me is mind over matter. Will power alone is the best means of quitting. Trying to cut down and sucking on vapor shit is a copout to me. Does everyone have the necessary will power? Obviously not by the huge number who don't accomplish their goal. But I've said it for years, IMO if a person wants to quit badly enough, that should be all that's required. Some folks

And here's my struggle right now. I am prepared to 'lock myself in' and purge my system. Of nicotine, pop, and junk food.

But most say take it in manageable steps...you're setting yourself up to fail etc...

I'm for sure giving up regular pop. Feel ready to 'crumple the pack' and willing to give up chips, chocolate, and candy in favor of healthier options...

chips are a demon for me...

have substituted un- shelled, unsalted roasted peanuts..(wife hates it cause its messy around the recliner... LOL)

also pretzel sticks and twists.. have to watch the salt intake though, you can find most snacks "unsalted" if you look hard enough..

Try "baked" chips.. flavored rice cakes..

Look at alternatives to real butter.. they make some pretty good tasting alternatives now.. like smart balance, with canola oil and omega three added..

As with any change.. you are "used" to the way certain things "fit" into your habits for snacking and how they tasted..

making a change is difficult because your first reaction to something different is "yuck.. this is not what i was expecting..."

That's the whole point.. you have to retrain your mind to expect a different type of satisfaction by powering thru the discomfort until you gain acceptance..

they say "old habits die hard",

but the truth is they are old.. and therefore, don't put up much of a struggle and can be offed quite easily...

time to practice some serious "habitricide"...

best part is its perfectly legal and people will applaud you for doing in the old habits as brutally as you want...

take them out back and tie them up and taunt them to death with healthy choices as they wither and waste away..

or just bludgeon them and burn the remains..

up to you

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1160
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 11:55:32 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Failed on my first glucose test. Simple stuff...was shown how to do it...still failed. Why must I suck at everything new!

c'mon man!!

did you succeed at everything the first time..??

quit beating yourself up and STICK THAT SHIT..

It's not unheard of to get your blood chemistry levels under control with better lifestyle changes and be declared "not diabetic"..

you should be determined to make liars out of those who think you are a lost cause..

Just from the way you post at times, we all know you are a fighter..
you have a long life road ahead of you if you fight thru the traffic jam of conflict and self doubt..

Put that bitch in four wheel and stomp on the gas..

drive over and thru the doubt and recriminations to the better place on that healthier road, man..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1161
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 11:58:59 AM   
bgdavis

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cutting out pop is a great place to start. I used to drink regular pop (pepsi/coke, mt. dew, etc) all the time, and my weight kept climbing a few pounds every year. I finally decided I had to do something about the continuous weight gain and started by giving up pop and switched to water. It was hard at first, but mostly due to the lack of caffeine. After about a week, my body had adjusted. It was weird too, since before I used to find it hard to drink more than a small glass of water here and there during a day, but after giving up pop, it was like I couldn't get enough water, and it just ran through me like...water. There's something about the combination of sugared pop and caffeine that makes your body get all out of whack, and it took a bit of time to readjust to drinking water.

Within a month, I had begun to notice a drastic change in my weight. Instead of slowly creeping up by maybe a pound over the month, I'd lost almost 10 pounds. I did try to cut out most sources of simple sugars (junk food, sweets as well as breads and pasta) and that helped too. It's really hard to cut out all the simple sugars since breads and pastas seem to be everywhere and very hard to avoid, especially if you grab fast food. However, that's one of the next logical steps if you're really serious about losing weight. I personally struggle to do that, but at least by cutting sugar pop out of my diet I have been able to maintain my weight now.

Here's another thing to try - cutting down on portion sizes and not doing second helpings. Over the last few years, my weight had begun to climb again, even without sugar pop and trying to cutback on sweets. The difference turned out to be our eating habits with a toddler in the house. I often ended up eating extra portions when he didn't finish stuff off. Once I realized that may be the source of the extra calories, I stopped doing it, and instead I started focusing on how much I was eating at each meal. Over the last 9 months, I have managed to lose the extra weight I'd put on, just by reducing my portion sizes, and skipping second helpings, etc.

It will take mental discipline to stick to it. However, I found that once I started it became steadily easier to do it day by day. If you do have an off day, don't give up. It's actually not that hard to get back on track for the diet by making the effort.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 1162
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:07:55 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cutting out pop is a great place to start. I used to drink regular pop (pepsi/coke, mt. dew, etc) all the time, and my weight kept climbing a few pounds every year. I finally decided I had to do something about the continuous weight gain and started by giving up pop and switched to water. It was hard at first, but mostly due to the lack of caffeine. After about a week, my body had adjusted. It was weird too, since before I used to find it hard to drink more than a small glass of water here and there during a day, but after giving up pop, it was like I couldn't get enough water, and it just ran through me like...water. There's something about the combination of sugared pop and caffeine that makes your body get all out of whack, and it took a bit of time to readjust to drinking water.

Within a month, I had begun to notice a drastic change in my weight. Instead of slowly creeping up by maybe a pound over the month, I'd lost almost 10 pounds. I did try to cut out most sources of simple sugars (junk food, sweets as well as breads and pasta) and that helped too. It's really hard to cut out all the simple sugars since breads and pastas seem to be everywhere and very hard to avoid, especially if you grab fast food. However, that's one of the next logical steps if you're really serious about losing weight. I personally struggle to do that, but at least by cutting sugar pop out of my diet I have been able to maintain my weight now.

Here's another thing to try - cutting down on portion sizes and not doing second helpings. Over the last few years, my weight had begun to climb again, even without sugar pop and trying to cutback on sweets. The difference turned out to be our eating habits with a toddler in the house. I often ended up eating extra portions when he didn't finish stuff off. Once I realized that may be the source of the extra calories, I stopped doing it, and instead I started focusing on how much I was eating at each meal. Over the last 9 months, I have managed to lose the extra weight I'd put on, just by reducing my portion sizes, and skipping second helpings, etc.

It will take mental discipline to stick to it. However, I found that once I started it became steadily easier to do it day by day. If you do have an off day, don't give up. It's actually not that hard to get back on track for the diet by making the effort.

This is all great advise.

One thing I will add. Do not think of it as a 'diet'. You must convince yourself it is a lifestyle change. or you will put all the weight back on and then some.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1163
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:09:30 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

c'mon man!!

did you succeed at everything the first time..??

quit beating yourself up and STICK THAT SHIT..

It's not unheard of to get your blood chemistry levels under control with better lifestyle changes and be declared "not diabetic"..

you should be determined to make liars out of those who think you are a lost cause..

Just from the way you post at times, we all know you are a fighter..
you have a long life road ahead of you if you fight thru the traffic jam of conflict and self doubt..

Put that bitch in four wheel and stomp on the gas..

drive over and thru the doubt and recriminations to the better place on that healthier road, man..

Good stuff.

The question isn't have I succeeded at everything new the 1st time - it's have I succeeded at anything new the first time.

You're talking to a guy who ran to 3rd his first baseball practice (age 8). A guy who scored on his own net the first basketball game action he seen (age 12). It's like a thing...not sure it's a definable thing...but it's a thing...
Post #: 1164
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:10:44 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is all great advise.

One thing I will add. Do not think of it as a 'diet'. You must convince yourself it is a lifestyle change. or you will put all the weight back on and then some.

Agreed.
Post #: 1165
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:19:22 PM   
Lynn G.

And one more piece of advice that applies to anything someone longs to do (get a college degree, lose weight, learn to draw, write a book, declutter the house ...):

You don't want to find yourself a year from now saying "Dang, I wish I had started a year ago. Look how far along I would be!"

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1166
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:23:15 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

You're inexperienced is all.

The more you do it the better you will get.

Did you expect to be a self pricking savant or something?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1167
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:27:10 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

And one more piece of advice that applies to anything someone longs to do (get a college degree, lose weight, learn to draw, write a book, declutter the house ...):

You don't want to find yourself a year from now saying "Dang, I wish I had started a year ago. Look how far along I would be!"

That's good advice, Lynn. I've got to apply that to saving money!
Post #: 1168
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:39:07 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

That's good advice, Lynn. I've got to apply that to saving money!

Best way to save money is make it automatic. Take the though process out of it.

--twinsfan
Post #: 1169
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:41:24 PM   
bohumm

quote:

The one I use with habit breaking/changing is, "This will only get harder with each passing day."
Post #: 1170
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:43:14 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

You're inexperienced is all.

The more you do it the better you will get.

Did you expect to be a self pricking savant or something?

One word of caution: I try not to sue "suck" and "pricks" in the same post, and I live in California; might be different in Canada with the metric system and all.
Post #: 1171
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 2:06:19 PM   
bgdavis

Here's another tip for switching from pop to water - this may sound a bit strange, but it worked for me:

- First, find some insulated water bottles you like REALLY LOVE! If you don't have ones that meet that criteria go to a store and find some. Larger sizes may be better than smaller ones, but make sure it's a bottle you absolutely love to carry, drink from, etc. Buy about 4 of these. One bottle will be for at home. One will be for at work. One will be for travelling/driving/etc. The 4th is for a back-up when one of the others may be getting washed.

- Next, identify your water source. Ideally, it will provide good clean filtered water. Most cities should have potable water that it is supposed to be ok to drink straight from the tap, but it might taste strange or have various stuff in it that you'd prefer to avoid. That's where filtration comes in. At home, you may have a refrigerator dispenser with a built-in filter. Another option is an add-on for your kitchen faucet. A third possibility might be a filtering pitcher that you refill and place in your refrigerator. At work, you may find special water fountains or water dispensers that provide filtration. When traveling, you may need to consider bottled water as an option - if so, buy in bulk as it is vastly cheaper.

- After that, it's just a matter of keeping your water bottles filled and with you at all times. That way, when you get thirsty, it's always right there, and you won't be tempted to drink something else. Since it's a bottle you really like, you'll actually find yourself wanting to have it with you too, and that helps prevent leaving it behind or forgetting where you left it.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 1172
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 2:11:42 PM   
SoMnFan

I see my life secret is out.
100% convinced it's all about the water, baby.
Has honestly changed my body and my outlook at times in my life.
Became a must when struggling with kidney stones, and loved the way it made me feel.
Had to FORCE myself to drink a gallon or more a day, but it worked(s) wonders.
Post #: 1173
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 2:40:33 PM   
Todd M

I'm trying to get a different mindset about water. My thoughts have always been - water sucks.

I also have to retrain my body. As I've gone along the last few decades pop has always been my go to...because I feel that it's the only thing that really quenches my thirst. As an example, been out of everything but pop a few times...get up in the middle of the night...drink a couple cups worth of water...and feel as thirsty as when I started...get up in the middle of the night thirsty...have a couple sips of pop...feel quenched.

Right now I have 1/2 dozen glasses in the freezer and a full jug of Brita filtered water in the fridge. Add a couple ice cubes and have it as cold as possible = tolerable.

3:30 here and I'm finishing my 8th cup/glass/8oz amount. That gets me to the 8x8 rule...but I was just reading that the total fluid intake for a male is about 12 cups - from all sources...so I'm not far from that and I'll sure as hell be thirsty for the rest of the day/night. Not sure what my target should really be and if I'll end up over doing it trying to combat thirst.
Post #: 1174
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 2:45:28 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I see my life secret is out.
100% convinced it's all about the water, baby.
Has honestly changed my body and my outlook at times in my life.
Became a must when struggling with kidney stones, and loved the way it made me feel.
Had to FORCE myself to drink a gallon or more a day, but it worked(s) wonders.

Kidney stones. Those are true monsters. I'm not a baby or anything, but I actually have occasional anxiety over the thought of getting another case of kidney stones. Water, water, water is the best prevention, just like you said.
Post #: 1175
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode