Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 4:31:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Don't post on here until you've done x minutes (later x hours) of exercise.
Post #: 1126
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 4:44:35 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

c'mon man..

im 58.. had a heart attack 13 months after the birth of the second greatest love of my life..

she is all the motivation I need..

had skin cancer twice..
have a left carotid artery that is blocked..completely.. could have a stroke at any second!

I gave up regular soda,, steak.. bacon.. omelets, a whole slew of stuff..

I'm not perfect. I "backslide" into an all meat pizza now and then..make a omelet once in a while.. have a bacon cheese burger once in a while..

but i switched jobs to one that makes me walk ten hours a night, close to five miles a night..

and load a truck with literally.. thousands of pounds of packages, 2-50 pounds at a pop, at least 400-500 times a night, over a ten hour shift..stacked into a truck trailer by hand..
I usually break a sweat, even in winter in an unheated truck trailer and come home exhausted..

It's the little things that add up..

Make the changes.. small ones.. but keep at it..

No "Camming" on us..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/9/2016 12:29:29 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1127
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 5:12:31 PM   
Ricky J

Good stuff, Dan! I also think Bill's model is a good one for accomplishing a lot of things in life - reward system.

I can't do stuff like Dan though - not saying his way isn't good for him or you. For me I give shit up right now! Just do it. Too much thinking about something doesn't work for me. HST, whatever works ... Just Do It!!!
Post #: 1128
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 6:42:32 PM   
hagar

Hang in there Todd. Depression can kill you, but, positive thinking and the sheer willpower of the human spirit can accomplish unexplainable things.
My wifes uncle had an inoperable brain tumor and was given less than 6 months to live. His family refused to let him lay in bed and plan his funeral.
He struggled but tried to live his life as normally as possible while following all of the doctors suggestions. He developed a new love for life in a way
he hadn't known before and the tumor shrunk on its own and he lived another almost 12 years before the pain came back. Think positive, believe in
yourself and you can make the changes you need to. Be strong and good luck.
Post #: 1129
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 6:54:34 PM   
Todd M

Thanks everyone.

I wish I had the strength to just work shit out on my own. Everyone goes through shit and most don't share. I over share. I don't mean anything by it but IAH I lack support systems...so I turn to my friends here. And honestly, you guys have always been great to me. The support you've offered at times has really helped me through.
Post #: 1130
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 11:18:48 PM   
Todd M

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/07/sugar-substitutes.aspx
quote:

Sweetener lesson 101: Avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague.

Stupid internet! Not telling me what I want to hear...

Thought I could live on a sugar free chocolate milk syrup...doesn't sound like it. Doesn't have the dreaded aspartame...but it doesn't seem any of them are good.

So thirsty! Water and unchocolated milk suck.
Post #: 1131
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 11:25:00 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

todd, at this point in your life the artificial sweeteners are not gonna hurt you.. the "studies" done on it have been discredited.. the equivalent amount of sweetener you would have to consume to risk cancer is like eating cups full of it at a time for days on end..

go with equal or stevia if you want..

the stevia stuff tastes bitter to me.. bad after taste.. i stick with aspetrtame

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/8/2016 11:36:26 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1132
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 11:35:18 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I give my daughter sugar free chocolate syrup, and i buy her sugar free decafinated soda when i let her have it..

as far as water goes.. get the flavor packets like hi-c or kool aid..they also come sugar free..

trust me.. it wont kill you or significantly raise a risk of cancer unless you're mainlining it like a heroin addict..

the best way to help with losing weight and lowering cholesterol and getting healthy is to drink A LOT of water..

drink a full glass of water, flavored or not BEFORE each meal.. it fills you up and makes the "i'm full now" feeling kick in a lot sooner, so you eat less.

Become a label reader on foods you buy.. pay attention to serving size and amount of cholesterol in the things you buy..

its a pain in the ass at first, but after you learn, it becomes a habit to go for the lower cholesterol stuff..

Those websites.. and i have been to them, that RAIL on artificial sweetener are agenda driven...

usually they are funded or sponsored by the sugar or high fructose corn syrup conglomerates to drum up fear propaganda.

It's not always obvious who backs or supports those types of sites but they are propaganda machines with an agenda.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/8/2016 11:37:29 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1133
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 11:40:59 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Those websites.. and i have been to them, that RAIL on artificial sweetener are agenda driven...

Interesting.

Thought I ran into a major roadblock there.
Post #: 1134
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 11:46:28 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

another thing.. fiber.. like oats or whole grain breads help reduce cholesterol.

I'm not into the metamucil thing at all but i buy and eat a lot more brown or wild rice, whole grain breads, high fiber cereals like raisin bran.. or cheerios.. rice krispies.. and trust me.. it took a long time and some real will power to start eating cereal without dumping spoonfuls of sugar on it..

but i can be done...

You gain an appreciation for the actual flavors of things once you get used to the "not overly sweetened with sugar" aspect..

Ditching sugar is tough, it's been ingrained into every food product we buy, to "enhance" flavor..

It's a sham.. good food and flavor do not depend on sugar..

It's an addiction like behaviour enhanced and condoned by food manufactures as a way to boost sales and appeal to the weakness everyone has for sweet stuff.

It is way easier to kick that habit than smoking..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/8/2016 11:55:29 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1135
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/8/2016 11:54:19 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Interesting.

Thought I ran into a major roadblock there.

screw "dr Mercola and his money grubbing websites pitching "natural foods"..

he is a shill.. look at this..:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/

What does the evidence say about aspartame? A recent published review of all available evidence, including hundreds of studies, concluded:

The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener.

Multiple reviews, going back to 1985, conclude the same thing. Since this latest review there have been more studies, in various countries (how big is this conspiracy?), showing no link between aspartame and brain cancer, and a lack of correlation between artificial sweeteners and gastric, pancreatic, and endometrial cancers.

quit sweating the lies of fear mongers..

do what you need to make the changes you need to be healthier.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1136
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:00:23 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/

Conclusion

Aspartame is a highly studied food additive with decades of research showing that it is safe for human consumption. As expected, the research is complex making it possible to cherry pick and misinterpret individual studies in order to FEAR MONGER. But the totality of research, reviewed by many independent agencies and expert panels, supports the safety of aspartame.

A conspiracy to hide the risks of aspartame, however, remains a popular internet urban legend that will likely not disappear anytime soon.

emphasis added..

Would you rather be miserable and live in fear of some BS agenda driven fearmongering?

or get back to enjoying life and foods with just a few changes..

i faced the same dilemma, after my heat attack and other things like all my male family has diabetes..

I made some changes.. slowly, at a pace i could adapt to, and I'm still kicking it ..

last spring and summer i was on a real health tear..i set a goal of getting under 200 lbs by january, missed that, still in the plateau stage of hovering between 205-210, but i took up bike riding..

i'm old, don't have the joints or determination to do a boring ass jog/run..

riding a bike is only as hard as you make it..

it can be leisurely and relaxing or you can bust a gut and sweat bullets pushing yourself..

either way it is exercise.. and by the time "too cold" came around in late october, i was doing around 50 miles a week in 12 - 18 mile increments three times a week.

the miles tick by quickly on a bike..

I started by riding to the nearby bike path, about half a mile ride all by itself, then just going one way or the other till i felt like it was time to use what energy i had left to get back..

oh and be sure to take water.. a big bottle.. they make water bottle carriers for bikes.. get one if you decide to take up biking.

my first ride was 4 miles each way and it went up every time after that as i gained endurance.. by october i was doing nine miles out and nine miles back three times a week.

I'm not gonna lie, a couple times i pushed myself by going as fast as i could in top gear on my mountain bike and i was seriously wiped and weak legged when i got home.. one time i could not even stand.. got off the bike and my legs were so weak, i collapsed in slow motion to my knees and just laid down in the grass for about ten minutes recovering..

but it felt great..

I went in for my physical before i started this job in october and my resting heart rate was 56 and my blood pressure was 110 / 72

the nurse looked at me and said "your 58?.. do you work out or exercise a lot?"
i said "no.. just ride my bike three times a week a few miles.."

secretly smiling..

I'm here for ya, Todd.

remember it's okay to reward yourself, now and then, (backsliding a bit) for doing well with honest effort, on things that are difficult, just don't make excuses to reward yourself to the point that it defeats the purpose.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/9/2016 12:24:41 AM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1137
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:31:55 AM   
Todd M

Thanks for that.

You should have this follow your posts:

Post #: 1138
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 12:47:49 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

don't fall for the food babe's.. nice looking though they may be...

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/making-ones-own-reality-food-babe-edition/#more-36528

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1139
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 1:00:11 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

To put the ADI for aspartame in perspective, this would be 3,750 milligrams per day for a typical adult weighing 75 kilograms (about 165 pounds), far more than most adults take in daily. A 12 ounce can of diet soda usually contains about 192 milligrams of aspartame and a packet of the tabletop sweetener contains about 35mg. An adult weighing 165 pounds would have to drink more than 19 cans of diet soda a day or consume more than 107 packets to go over the recommended level.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
like i said.. unless your mainlining equal like a junkie, you gonna have to make a serious attempt at overdose to even reach the FDA approved limit on intake..

don't worry..

go with aspartame..

it will make a huge difference.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1140
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 1:06:03 AM   
thebigo

Damn Danno, yer just as pure as he driven snow!
Post #: 1141
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 1:22:04 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

Damn Danno, yer just as pure as he driven snow!

Yea, if that snow is driven into the parking lot of the local coal fired power plant...

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1142
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 7:54:55 AM   
bstinger

You can do it Todd.

2 years ago at age 42 I was 230 lbs and had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My A1C was 6.6, just over the threshold. I was so depressed about the news and what my life would be like. I did not want to be a diabetic, so I made changes. The biggest one is that I dropped sweetened beverages, switched to diet soda and low carb juice and watched closely for carbs in everything. I also increased my exercise slightly, but I was already exercising fairly regularly. Within 12 months I dropped 30 pounds and got my A1C do 5.0, NOT Diabetic. A year later my weight has crept up slightly 210 now. I'm lifting a lot more than I was a year ago, so I think some of that is muscle, but I've not been quite as careful about what I'm eating. Still no sweetened drinks. I just had my A1C checked again, still 5.0.

Learn to love veggies. You can eat as much of those as you want. Pair that with a small portion of meat and a small portion of carbs. Eating out is the toughest thing. If going to fast food, most places have a side salad these days. I replace having fries with a side salad. You can still enjoy life and you will feel so much better when you replace unhealthy habits with good ones. You'll start to like looking at yourself in the mirror when your body starts shrinking.

I'll be pulling for you.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1143
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 8:01:23 AM   
Todd M

Thanks!

I don't know how the numbers translate exactly but my fasting numbers were supposed to be 3.6 - 6 and it was 10.7.

Sat down this morning to some lemon water and a bowl of plain oatmeal. It is what it is.

Fast food joints are completely off the table for me for the foreseeable future.
Post #: 1144
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 8:10:21 AM   
Todd M

One of the first things I have to get better at is actually eating. Most days I could skip breakfast and a lot of days lunch as well. Then as dinner time approached that's where I would get into trouble. Start snacking. Eat a high fat dinner. Keep snacking and want the equivalent of a 2nd dinner late.
Post #: 1145
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 8:17:43 AM   
Bill Jandro

My Dad is a type 2 diabetic and had to change his diet completely. I feel bad for him cuz he is old and he always liked to eat a lot esp the wrong kind of food. He still can't keep his blood sugar count down and we can't give him insulin cuz it will most likely will damage his brain.

Luckily he lives with my sister and she takes care of him. Problem is she lives above her means and also has control of his check book. Every time I go out there they've purchased things that look unnecessary and us brothers all know where she is getting the money to buy these items. My dad also has dimentia and doesn't really know what is going on.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1146
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 8:23:40 AM   
Todd M

That's rough, Bill. Your poor dad.
Post #: 1147
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 8:28:27 AM   
eagleflorida

Just this morning came upon your health announcement Todd. The cigs thing to me is mind over matter. Will power alone is the best means of quitting. Trying to cut down and sucking on vapor shit is a copout to me. Does everyone have the necessary will power? Obviously not by the huge number who don't accomplish their goal. But I've said it for years, IMO if a person wants to quit badly enough, that should be all that's required. Some folks tell me that's too simplistic and I only espouse it because I am a very strong-willed person. Maybe so but I tried and failed a couple times on my smoking but reached the point where I felt this silly, harmful, expensive habit wasn't gonna overwhelm me and took my last pack, like Lynn's father did, and crumpled it up and tossed it. That was a 47 years ago and I never looked back. And I didn't have any existing health issues at that time either.

I'll leave the diet/exercise stuff to those who've been-there-done that. I've been fortunate in those areas. Good genes, active exercise, good eating habits and some minor medication help have helped me in those areas.

You've been there for me at times & I hope I can offer another perspective on overcoming your nicotine habit and hope you know I'm pulling for you.
Post #: 1148
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 8:56:11 AM   
bohumm

Dan is giving a lot of great advice---Thanks for that, Dan. I would just add that between the lines his message is to find a way to do what you have to, not the myriad reasons we can all come up with to keep doing whatever we've been doing. In addition to drinking water before a meal, heat a couple different kinds of veggies or throw some greens in a bowl with low-fat dressing of some kind and eat that stuff first to start the filling process before moving on to the good stuff. Start walking even if you feel like a loser to have to start wherever you are---that's where you are (I say this from my own experience, without judgment, BTW).

Green smoothies are another great way to get a lot of nutrients and fill up way more than you'd ever imagine. We use stevia to sweeten them; just be careful about using too much fruit. We have green smoothies with raw fruits and veggies as snacks from morning until dinner, then we eat a "regular" dinner, though with fish and chicken, brown rice, cooked veggies, salad, etc. It seems extreme as I type this, but as Dan said you can get used to it very quickly while you're motivated so that it's easier when you're not.

For exercise, I started swimming daily in November and have worked my way up to what is probably still a rather lame level, but it's easy on the joints and pretty pleasant.

Find a way, and I say that as possibly the least disciplined person on this board. Let us know how you're doing as often as you want.
Post #: 1149
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 9:26:06 AM   
Duane Sampson

Todd

You're the reason I quit smoking. You posted about your one year anny of vaping.

So I tried it. But instead of quitting cigs, I did both.

I started in October 2014. I vaped and smoked. I found it more convenient to vape and I quickly cut back on cigarettes. By December 2014 I was tobacco free and by April 2015 I was vapor free.

I found the key was not cold turkey, but doing both. Worked for me. Well over 13 months and home-free after 38 years of smoking. Thanks.

Your turn.....
Post #: 1150
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode