Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 2:47:45 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I'm trying to get a different mindset about water. My thoughts have always been - water sucks.

I also have to retrain my body. As I've gone along the last few decades pop has always been my go to...because I feel that it's the only thing that really quenches my thirst. As an example, been out of everything but pop a few times...get up in the middle of the night...drink a couple cups worth of water...and feel as thirsty as when I started...get up in the middle of the night thirsty...have a couple sips of pop...feel quenched.

Right now I have 1/2 dozen glasses in the freezer and a full jug of Brita filtered water in the fridge. Add a couple ice cubes and have it as cold as possible = tolerable.

3:30 here and I'm finishing my 8th cup/glass/8oz amount. That gets me to the 8x8 rule...but I was just reading that the total fluid intake for a male is about 12 cups - from all sources...so I'm not far from that and I'll sure as hell be thirsty for the rest of the day/night. Not sure what my target should really be and if I'll end up over doing it trying to combat thirst.

Keep drinking it until about two hours before your bedtime. Start again when you first wake up. It's not too bad, and it becomes a habit after a while.
Post #: 1176
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 2:50:56 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

I'm trying to get a different mindset about water. My thoughts have always been - water sucks.

I also have to retrain my body. As I've gone along the last few decades pop has always been my go to...because I feel that it's the only thing that really quenches my thirst. As an example, been out of everything but pop a few times...get up in the middle of the night...drink a couple cups worth of water...and feel as thirsty as when I started...get up in the middle of the night thirsty...have a couple sips of pop...feel quenched.

Right now I have 1/2 dozen glasses in the freezer and a full jug of Brita filtered water in the fridge. Add a couple ice cubes and have it as cold as possible = tolerable.

3:30 here and I'm finishing my 8th cup/glass/8oz amount. That gets me to the 8x8 rule...but I was just reading that the total fluid intake for a male is about 12 cups - from all sources...so I'm not far from that and I'll sure as hell be thirsty for the rest of the day/night. Not sure what my target should really be and if I'll end up over doing it trying to combat thirst.

Water is much better IMHO when it is ICE COLD. Just short of frozen. I can drink water like that all day long and I don't worry about tracking it. Don't hold me to this but I think the body needs to burn a few calories just to warm it up...one of those sciency things.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1177
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 3:00:01 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

Keep drinking it until about two hours before your bedtime. Start again when you first wake up. It's not too bad, and it becomes a habit after a while.

And if I thirsty with dry mouth between those times?
Post #: 1178
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 3:07:02 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

the rule of thumb is .. if you are thirsty, drink.. water overdose is very difficult to achieve, but it can happen,on the same note,don't worry about it..

the biggest thing that can happen is depleting electrolytes by "flushing" them out with too much water intake.. that's why i take vitamins

one other tip i forgot..

get a multi-b vitamin complex and add it to your daily meds..

it boosts your metabolism.. and when making diet changes, also add a multi vitamin as well..

I take a generic "centrum silver" type, along with my b complex and the four proscribed meds for my other health issues..

I can always tell when I forget, and i always kick myself when I don't take them..

It's become a habit, part of my daily before work self check list like keys, wallet , badge, lunch, coffee, took my meds..

hey, i'm old.. i gotta do these things..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/9/2016 3:09:29 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1179
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 3:21:07 PM   
Todd M

Never been a vitamin guy. My wife has been pushing me to take vit C for the longest time...I just pass...habit doesn't stick. I'm not even good at taking the one pill a day I'm supposed to for my acid reflex. And I PAY for that. To the point of waking up with it so bad one night with so much splashing up into my mouth that it closed my esophagus and I couldn't breath for 30 seconds...then I was able to draw a very thin breath for another 30 seconds before it opened up. Scary as shit and it STILL didn't get me to a point where I remembered to take it regularly.

I should get better now...I have a bunch to take now, not just one. Might as well throw some vitamins in there...
Post #: 1180
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 3:24:38 PM   
Todd M

That's why my initial post was being worried about making the change. If that scary wake up call didn't get me to stop drinking pop and get me to take my one pill a day regularly...

I do feel a little more 'awake' today mind you...
Post #: 1181
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 3:57:42 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I see my life secret is out.
100% convinced it's all about the water, baby.
Has honestly changed my body and my outlook at times in my life.
Became a must when struggling with kidney stones, and loved the way it made me feel.
Had to FORCE myself to drink a gallon or more a day, but it worked(s) wonders.

Kidney stones. Those are true monsters. I'm not a baby or anything, but I actually have occasional anxiety over the thought of getting another case of kidney stones. Water, water, water is the best prevention, just like you said.

I've had six
Two required laser removal
Worst six events of my life
Thought I was tough, but those little specks of sand brought me crying on my knees like a little bitch.
scared me into my water routine
Post #: 1182
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 4:15:13 PM   
Todd M

That's a lot of 'oh shit, not again' moments.

Knowing what's coming has to be the worst.
Post #: 1183
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 4:33:35 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Iv'e had kidney stones twice... and women always say that men don't know the pain of child birth.. i beg to differ..

If you have EVER had to pass a kidney stone.. you KNOW...

oh, Todd.. get one of those little, (in my case medium sized), "day of the week pill boxes", load it up and put it where you have to see it and move it every day as a reminder..

in the fridge on top of some thing, next to the coffee pot, some place obvious and annoying so you HAVE to see it every day as a reminder to take your meds..

it also helps you keep track of skipped days.. do not "double up", if you skip a day, just get back on schedule

it seems silly, but it works..

sticking to the cholesterol meds and the other meds regime is critical in preventing future problems..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1184
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 4:50:40 PM   
Todd M

Got one of those.

Doubling up...did that all the time with my other med. But no more!
Post #: 1185
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 4:55:11 PM   
bgdavis

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? I got tested a few years ago and discovered that was part of why I have such bad snoring. It's also a factor in why I would often wake up with a very dry mouth.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 1186
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 4:58:21 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? I got tested a few years ago and discovered that was part of why I have such bad snoring. It's also a factor in why I would often wake up with a very dry mouth.

No. I don't think that's a concern. I wake up to pee (as many as 8 times recently! ) and note my thirst then. Pretty sure it's diabetes related.

Plus I'm a smoker. But hopefully for not much longer...
Post #: 1187
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 4:58:35 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

soo..... read any good books lately...

I'm about tapped out here... on heath tips, anyway.. but if you need any 2 cent, nonprofessional advice... just holler..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1188
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 5:02:34 PM   
Todd M

Thanks Dan! It's been great and your contributions greatly appreciated.

quote:

soo..... read any good books lately..

Trying to get through, and finish tonight Allen Carr's Easy way to stop smoking. Apparently you read the book and don't want to smoke any more.

With or without it's cold turkey for me this time. EVERY old timer I worked with as a PSW swore that it was the only way. Plus our old timer Eagle (Peter) said so as well.
Post #: 1189
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 5:27:22 PM   
bohumm

quote:

Got one of those.

Doubling up...did that all the time with my other med. But no more!

I used to do that with weed
Post #: 1190
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 5:30:58 PM   
Bill Jandro

Agree or second the vitamin suggestion by Danno

I started taking the Centrum silver about 7 years ago and I've haven't had any kind of illness since. not even a cold.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1191
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 5:33:13 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

Trying to get through, and finish tonight Allen Carr's Easy way to stop smoking. Apparently you read the book and don't want to smoke any more.

With or without it's cold turkey for me this time. EVERY old timer I worked with as a PSW swore that it was the only way. Plus our old timer Eagle (Peter) said so as well.

When my grandmother was 95,she found out what my parents were paying to keep her in ciggies and announced she was done smoking. 70+years of smoking, and all it took was crazy cigarette taxes.
Post #: 1192
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 5:34:17 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I started taking the Centrum silver about 7 years ago and I've haven't had any kind of illness since. not even a cold.

Vitamins come in gummies now, at least in California
Post #: 1193
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 5:51:44 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Vitamins come in gummies now, at least in California

That's the kind I take...
Post #: 1194
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 7:28:04 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Water is much better IMHO when it is ICE COLD. Just short of frozen. I can drink water like that all day long and I don't worry about tracking it. Don't hold me to this but I think the body needs to burn a few calories just to warm it up...one of those sciency things.

there are two type of calories.. small and large..

large relates to food and is the one most commonly referred to as "burned energy" for weight loss..

defined as follows:

Full Definition of calorie
plural cal·o·ries
a : the amount of heat required at a pressure of one atmosphere to raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree Celsius that is equal to about 4.19 joules —abbreviation cal —called also gram calorie, small calorie
b : the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water one degree Celsius : 1000 gram calories or 3.968 Btu —abbreviation Cal —called also large calorie

a : a unit equivalent to the large calorie expressing heat-producing or energy-producing value in food when oxidized in the body
b : an amount of food having an energy-producing value of one large calorie

body temp is about 37 degrees..

so raising near freezing water or even ice cubes eaten(o-2 degrees celsius) to 37 degrees body temp requires 37 "food calories" of energy per kilogram of water.. water weighs ~3.8 kilograms per gallon ..

so a Litre of water is about 1 kilogram..

an ice cold litre of water needs about 37 calories to be brought up to body temp..

eat ice!! lose weight!!

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/9/2016 7:36:36 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1195
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 7:40:03 PM   
Hang in there Todd.

We're rooting for ya big dude.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 1196
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 7:43:45 PM   
And the award for the 2015-16 Talk Vikes Most Improved poster is.......... Daniel Lee Young

As if you cared dude, but you've completely turned it around IMO FWIW....Well done..

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 1197
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 8:05:14 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Failed on my first glucose test. Simple stuff...was shown how to do it...still failed. Why must I suck at everything new!

c'mon man!!

did you succeed at everything the first time..??

quit beating yourself up and STICK THAT SHIT..

It's not unheard of to get your blood chemistry levels under control with better lifestyle changes and be declared "not diabetic"..

you should be determined to make liars out of those who think you are a lost cause..

Just from the way you post at times, we all know you are a fighter..
you have a long life road ahead of you if you fight thru the traffic jam of conflict and self doubt..

Put that bitch in four wheel and stomp on the gas..

drive over and thru the doubt and recriminations to the better place on that healthier road, man..

Good stuff.

The question isn't have I succeeded at everything new the 1st time - it's have I succeeded at anything new the first time.

You're talking to a guy who ran to 3rd his first baseball practice (age 8). A guy who scored on his own net the first basketball game action he seen (age 12). It's like a thing...not sure it's a definable thing...but it's a thing...

Jim Marshall wannabee.
Post #: 1198
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/9/2016 8:13:55 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

i did a little further research on water toxicity or "water poisoning" from drinking too much water..

here is a link if you want to check it out..

It's rare, but possible, especially with some medical conditions or extreme physical exertion and unslakable thirst feelings, to over do it.

just be sensible with water or anything for that matter..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1199
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 7:25:54 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

quote:

And I'll reinforce my recommendation by adding that I've discussed successful smoking cessation with many other oldtimers and by far the great majority did it cold turkey even after having tried other means. I totally agree with Sammy & others that you can succeed by other means (cutting back, vaping etc.) but it didn't work for me.

Keep us posted on how it's working and no cheating & dishonesty.
Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode