Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 7:41:01 AM   
Todd M

Hey, Peter...

After reading the book (ok, skimming the important points) I did not wake up without the desire to smoke. I woke up miserable thinking - uh, day 2...diabetes sucks.

I'm not ready to tackle quitting smoking along with the other stuff. I mean I want to...but if I'm not 100% on board...

I nailed eating yesterday - but it was one stinking day. With the new meds and sugar withdrawal I feel crappy enough.

Excuses? Pussy? Probably. I know I have to but it seems daunting at the moment...
Post #: 1201
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 7:57:58 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Todd, go take a walk and eat some fruit..
the natural sugars in an apple or an orange will help.. take an apple or orange as you walk out the door.. walk and eat it.. when you are done, turn around and walk back..

do this every day at least once.

the key to healthy eating is to keep yourself from getting hungry and being semi full..
therefore eat more often, just way smaller amounts..

eating 6 times a day was what my wife was supposed to do after her bariatric sergury, but she fell off that wagon pretty quickly once she got pregnant and did not continue to walk much..

the result was a disaster, as i told you.

keep at it bud.. it takes time to retrain and do not give UP!!

NO CAMMIING!!!

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/10/2016 7:59:10 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1202
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 9:33:52 AM   
Todd M

I didn't really go hungry yesterday. At 3 meals and 2 healthy snacks. The one snack, a small orange and a small lemon seemed to shoot my blood sugars up...though I really don't have a base to go by...

Went shopping this morning. Mostly on the outside isles. Felt weird/good dropping all the healthy choices on the belt. Bags were much lighter without boxes of processed food, pop ect...

Craving spaghetti...reading labels...decided **** it I can scratch out something healthier than the 'best' sauce out there. Plus grabbed whole grain pasta.

It's going to be a long process of continually making the right choices. I won't use this place as my diary but it sure has been a good jump start.

Got given an exorcise bike...just in time...we got dumped on and it is about to turn frigid (practically our 1st taste of winter) so I plan on getting on that a couple times a day.
Post #: 1203
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:04:07 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

just keep reading labels and picking the healthier of the choices.. the few pennies that one might cost over the other would not even matter..

a stationary bike is great.. you can watch tv while getting in some cardio and toning up a bit..

oh, and i'm looking at a bag of fritos knock off corn chips and another of doritos knockff chips we gt at the store because they are half the price of "name" brands..

serving size i 1 0z.. but with chips and such i know I eat 2-3 servings at a time..
the good news is that a serving is 160 cals and ZERO cholesterol.
Zero sugar and only 6% of daily sodium and only 5% of carbs and as a bonus 2 grams of protein.

Peanuts.. mixed nuts.. that kind of thing for snacking.. goes good with water..

Peanut butter and sugar free jams and jellies sandwiches, good with plain milk...

I know this sounds "yuck" but Elvis and I endorse peanut butter and Bananna on whole wheat..

Idk if diabetics have to be super watchful on carbs, but you need some carbs regardless of health issues because they provide a stabilizing effect on insulin levels in your blood.

As always, moderation..

stick with it..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/10/2016 10:09:00 AM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1204
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:17:09 AM   
Todd M

0 cholesterol is good as mine is "sky high"...nice to know the number - have to get it next time I see the dr.

Was told to watch carbs but I'm guessing mainly as a check and balance to eat better in general.

I don't know if I have the self control to keep munchies in the house. A serving size is such a minuscule amount as to be laughable. A serving size to the wife and I was devouring/fighting over a bag wishing there was more.

I just had my snack. An ounce (total) of sardines and oysters and a serving of peppers and cucumber. Tiny bit of dressing.
Post #: 1205
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:26:00 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

the serving size thing is also a learned process todd..

i don't expect you to change everything over night ( yes i do but let deal with reality , here... )

but with chips hell grab two handfuls out of a bag and put them on a plate and add something alongside..

like a low fat dip or dressing to dunk them in, maybe even celery sticks or carrot chips for that "change of pace" palate cleansing effect( your teeth and tongue will thank you)..

big ol glass of sugar free chocolate milk or flavored water..

don't wolf.. savor..

it takes time.. and i love to ramble on..

gotta go to bed...
see ya..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/10/2016 10:27:02 AM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1206
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 12:11:54 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

"Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"  Watch it Todd!

That was excellent. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm not against doing a juice fast. Be nice to consider one during the peak season when fruit and veggies are plentiful and not so dang expensive.

See how things go with the diet change, giving up pop and processed junk.
Post #: 1207
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 1:28:42 PM   
Toby Stumbo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

"Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"  Watch it Todd!

That was excellent. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm not against doing a juice fast. Be nice to consider one during the peak season when fruit and veggies are plentiful and not so dang expensive.

See how things go with the diet change, giving up pop and processed junk.

He has a facebook and other sites that have lots of great healthy recipes and the such as well.   The documentary was just a good eye opener I thought might help, juicing isn't for everyone but can be quite good when you find the right mixture.  I never did the full juice cleanse either but doing a nice healthy juice here and there is always better than doing none.

GO VIKES!
Post #: 1208
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 3:21:34 PM   
eagleflorida

quote:

Hey, Peter...

After reading the book (ok, skimming the important points) I did not wake up without the desire to smoke. I woke up miserable thinking - uh, day 2...diabetes sucks.

I'm not ready to tackle quitting smoking along with the other stuff. I mean I want to...but if I'm not 100% on board...

I nailed eating yesterday - but it was one stinking day. With the new meds and sugar withdrawal I feel crappy enough.

Excuses? Pussy? Probably. I know I have to but it seems daunting at the moment...

Excuses.....meh

Pussy.....I doubt you are

You've got an awful lot on your plate with the other stuff. All in good time on the smoking.
But keep in mind, the nicotine habit can be every bit as lethal as the other stuff. End of sermon.
Like they say,nothing worse than a reformed smoker or a born again Christian eh?

But do keep us posted on how things are going.
Post #: 1209
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 3:59:37 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

just keep reading labels and picking the healthier of the choices.. the few pennies that one might cost over the other would not even matter..

a stationary bike is great.. you can watch tv while getting in some cardio and toning up a bit..

oh, and i'm looking at a bag of fritos knock off corn chips and another of doritos knockff chips we gt at the store because they are half the price of "name" brands..

serving size i 1 0z.. but with chips and such i know I eat 2-3 servings at a time..
Zero sugar and only 6% of daily sodium and only 5% of carbs and as a bonus 2 grams of protein.

Peanut butter and sugar free jams and jellies sandwiches, good with plain milk...

I know this sounds "yuck" but Elvis and I endorse peanut butter and Bananna on whole wheat..

Are you kidding me? The only thing better than a peanut butter and Banana sammy is a peanut butter and honey and Banana sammy.
Post #: 1210
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 4:01:32 PM   
thebigo

quote:

I didn't really go hungry yesterday. At 3 meals and 2 healthy snacks. The one snack, a small orange and a small lemon seemed to shoot my blood sugars up...though I really don't have a base to go by...

Went shopping this morning. Mostly on the outside isles. Felt weird/good dropping all the healthy choices on the belt. Bags were much lighter without boxes of processed food, pop ect...

Craving spaghetti...reading labels...decided **** it I can scratch out something healthier than the 'best' sauce out there. Plus grabbed whole grain pasta.

It's going to be a long process of continually making the right choices. I won't use this place as my diary but it sure has been a good jump start.

Got given an exorcise bike...just in time...we got dumped on and it is about to turn frigid (practically our 1st taste of winter) so I plan on getting on that a couple times a day.

You've got plenty of demons I would imagine...
Post #: 1211
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 4:07:01 PM   
Todd M

That's funny. Struggle with exercise in every sense it seems...

quote:

PB &B (with or without honey) is great. Nothing yuck about that. I think Elvis probably used white bread and preferred them deep fried though...
Post #: 1212
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 5:18:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

Elvis would also sit down to play piano with a pound of fried bacon as a snack.

Don't do this Todd

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1213
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 5:20:05 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Are you kidding me? The only thing better than a peanut butter and Banana sammy is a peanut butter and honey and Banana sammy.

Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches are great!
Post #: 1214
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 6:49:27 PM   
Bill Johanesen

This is REAL whole grain bread:

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1215
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 7:08:46 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Not that this is me, but on the far end of the health scale there are just a few simple things:

Water

Fruits/Vegetables (look up which ones are lower on the glycemic scale)
Beans, Oats (steel rolled), raw nuts
Seafood
Cut out whites (in general terms that's sugar, flour, starches, most dairy)
Food that says zero grams trans fat can still have it as they are allowed to round down in the U.S.

Exercise (besides something for 'winter' aerobics, no equipment needed; tons of floor and outdoor exercises, and a lot use your body weight as resistance)

Vitamins (you should probably get all you need from a good diet but maybe not so take a multi, take D3)

Habits (you know the why and what parts, establish the how in terms of lifestyle and logistics)

Most importantly.... the will (mindset to achieve, what makes you want to really live, overcoming challenges/sacrifices, following a transformation)

Smoking is a non-starter in this type of realm. And studies suggest sitting is the new smoking.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/10/2016 7:10:26 PM >
Post #: 1216
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 8:00:51 PM   
Todd M

Good stuff. Except for that bread. Oh man does that bread look tough to get down.

Settling on whole wheat for now. Always been a white bread guy.
Post #: 1217
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 8:12:53 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I've had it a couple of times and it is. Not in my habit pattern.

Bread choice = one small improvement. Akin to saying platooning Hunter with Robison.

Multiply those out.....
Post #: 1218
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 9:00:50 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Bread choice = one small improvement. Akin to saying platooning Hunter with Robison.

Multiply those out.....

That bread looks like it would be awesome with some liverwurst on it with a thin slice of onion.
And perhaps a nice imperial stout.
Post #: 1219
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 9:42:19 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

Multiply those out.....

That bread looks like it would be awesome with some liverwurst on it with a thin slice of onion.

You're not helping Todd.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1220
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 9:49:59 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Multiply those out.....

You're not helping Todd.

No he did good, lost my appetite.

I used to take an elderly woman shopping. I shamelessly plugged the same joke when when she grabbed some liverwurst. 'I like liver but that stuff's the worst'...

TBH I probably only assume I don't like liverwurst. I love liver but it probably boils down to preferring warmed meat. Love shrimp for example but pass on the peel and eat ones...
Post #: 1221
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:01:09 PM   
hagar

quote:

quote:

quote:

Multiply those out.....

You're not helping Todd.

Is it the stout or liverwurst he can't have? Or both? I honestly don't know and didn't mean to be an idiot. Maybe I shouldn't post on this thread since I don't know about the dietary requirements. I'll check in and follow along because I absolutely hope for the best for Todd.
Post #: 1222
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:08:59 PM   
hagar

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Multiply those out.....

You're not helping Todd.

No he did good, lost my appetite.

I used to take an elderly woman shopping. I shamelessly plugged the same joke when when she grabbed some liverwurst. 'I like liver but that stuff's the worst'...

TBH I probably only assume I don't like liverwurst. I love liver but it probably boils down to preferring warmed meat. Love shrimp for example but pass on the peel and eat ones...

Liverwurst, Liverwurst, Braunschweiger, Liverwurst.
Hope that helps Todd Send me a list of foods you hate and when you're feeling the need for a sugar fix I'll post recipes for those disgusting foods.
Post #: 1223
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:17:22 PM   
Todd M

Not many things I hate. Some I probably think I hate, like headcheese, I assume I don't like that, but on the hated list:

Sushi
lamb
venison
caribou
Blue or any old cheese, cottage cheese
Sauerkraut
olives
coffee
Post #: 1224
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:19:12 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Multiply those out.....

You're not helping Todd.

Is it the stout or liverwurst he can't have? Or both? I honestly don't know and didn't mean to be an idiot. Maybe I shouldn't post on this thread since I don't know about the dietary requirements. I'll check in and follow along because I absolutely hope for the best for Todd.

Just kidding my friend. It just made me hungry!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1225
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode