Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:33:23 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Not many things I hate. Some I probably think I hate, like headcheese, I assume I don't like that, but on the hated list:

Sushi
lamb
venison
caribou
Blue or any old cheese, cottage cheese
Sauerkraut
olives
coffee

I think I could live off of that list...
Post #: 1226
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:37:55 PM   
Todd M

That's funny. I get a kick out of that.
Post #: 1227
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 10:43:51 PM   
bstinger

quote:

Not many things I hate. Some I probably think I hate, like headcheese, I assume I don't like that, but on the hated list:

Sushi
lamb
venison
caribou
Sauerkraut
olives
coffee

A lot of good stuff on that list. Venison, Sauerkraut, and Cottage Cheese are really good.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1228
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/10/2016 11:35:42 PM   
Thomas O. Eliason

Quit messing with Todd, ya buncha weirdos !

PPE II baby
Post #: 1229
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 9:45:35 AM   
bgdavis

quote:

Sushi
lamb
venison
caribou
Sauerkraut
olives
coffee

We seem to have rather similar (dis)tastes. I dislike most of those, with the possible exception of caribou (never tried it) and olives (green ones are ok. The black ones taste disgusting.)

Out of curiosity, do you also hate liver? Just the smell of it reminds me of spoiled, rotting meat. That's one of the few things I would also add to this list of hated foods.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 1230
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 10:59:55 AM   
Todd M

I like liver quite a bit but never have it at home. Or very often. There's always so many other things I want when at a restaurant.

Caribou, is like liver on steroids to me. Too rich, too chewy the one time I tried it.

----

Plugging everything I eat into the website 'fat secret'. I started and did virtually nothing but add my weight in 2012 (300) but have been diligent since I started this change this week. I don't know how to change it but it has my target recommended daily intake at 3482 freaking calories based on my age and weight! Isn't that a ridiculous number?

I hit 1800 on Tues and 1650 on Wed and will probably be between those today. With a bit of biking. My wife has a top notch scale...I weighed 310 the Tues morning after I got home and started all this, which was consistent with a couple of checks over the past few weeks. 303.6 this morning.

So now I will be disappointed if I don't continually lose ~3 pounds a day.
Post #: 1231
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 11:00:42 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

quote:

Sushi
lamb
venison
caribou
Sauerkraut
olives
coffee

We seem to have rather similar (dis)tastes. I dislike most of those, with the possible exception of caribou (never tried it) and olives (green ones are ok. The black ones taste disgusting.)

Out of curiosity, do you also hate liver? Just the smell of it reminds me of spoiled, rotting meat. That's one of the few things I would also add to this list of hated foods.

And what about lutefisk? Just smelling it cook was enough for me to refuse to take even a little taste.
Post #: 1232
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 11:02:19 AM   
Todd M

Lutefish is another one of those things I just assume I hate...
Post #: 1233
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 11:29:50 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

I like liver quite a bit but never have it at home. Or very often. There's always so many other things I want when at a restaurant.

Caribou, is like liver on steroids to me. Too rich, too chewy the one time I tried it.

----

Plugging everything I eat into the website 'fat secret'. I started and did virtually nothing but add my weight in 2012 (300) but have been diligent since I started this change this week. I don't know how to change it but it has my target recommended daily intake at 3482 freaking calories based on my age and weight! Isn't that a ridiculous number?

I hit 1800 on Tues and 1650 on Wed and will probably be between those today. With a bit of biking. My wife has a top notch scale...I weighed 310 the Tues morning after I got home and started all this, which was consistent with a couple of checks over the past few weeks. 303.6 this morning.

So now I will be disappointed if I don't continually lose ~3 pounds a day.

set reasonable goals, Todd..

don't get hung up on weight loss..

your body will hit various "plateaus" where it seems you can't move down or might even go up a few pounds on a daily basis.. don't sweat it..

all it takes is a little bit of metabolism uptick to start the down slope again.. it can be as simple as taking the stairs instead of an elevator in a building if you only going a couple floors..

Especially after the first month or so..

I think 3000 + calories is just wrong..

I try to keep right around 2000/day but i don't count calories..

By now my eating habits are changed, and i know when i have eaten too much "junk" ..

I compensate by drinking water and eating or constantly munching on peanuts.. mostly unsalted..

I love peanuts or mixed nuts in general.. good source of protein.. reasonable carbs, no sugar and zero cholesterol

They fill my need to munch and snack quite nicely

The weight loss will come...

its a process.. once you get to 300.. shoot for 290..

then 280.. then go big and shoot for 250..
once you reach a goal .. reward yourself a little.. nothing craZy..
a low fat yogurt sundae with sugar free chocolate..

if you make a huge goal like getting to a certain weight or getting that A1C level down or your cholesterol hits a "normal range or something important like that..

Reward your effort.. be proud..

The biggest thing i suggest is buy or break out some of your older, smaller pants, now.. say a couple sizes smaller..

Try them on once a week and see how much closer your getting to fit..

DO NOT get discouraged when they look impossible.. you used to fit in them or you wouldn't own them.. use it as motivation..

once they do.. break out the next smaller ones..

It's a goal thing..

When i was wearing size 40 pants, which was a real wake up call and a shocker for a guy who made it to almost 40 befor he had to go to 36's, I had some 38's that barely fit..

I made it a point to get into the 38's.. and I did..

Then I looked at the huge amount, close to ten pairs, in a spare dresser, of 36 waist and some 34's i used to wear 10 years ago..

I made it a point of keeping a pair of the 36's in my dresser so that i could try them on occasionally.. it was a bit depressing at first, but it motivated me..

I now wear 36's all the time and i have to wear a belt to keep them up..

My "Fat Pants" have all bee relegated to the "used to wear" dresser..

The 34's will barely close but that day is coming..

I have a lot of old 34x34 pants that i want to get regular about wearing..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/11/2016 11:30:51 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1234
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 11:45:11 AM   
BigSky

Smoked 1 to 2 or more packs a day for 17 years when I was on the road.

between sitting in a hotel room, throwing in an hour of rehersal, and then

playing that night you could sure down an awful lot of cigarettes. Quit

playing a little over fifteen years now. About 2 months after I quit the

music scene I was taking a 15 min break at my day job, lit up took a drag,

and said to myself: Self, why in the hell are you spending all this money to

kill yourself, and feel like shit? Put out the cigarette, and threw out the

pack and haven't touched one sense. At the same time I started working

out after work, lift on Tues, Weds and Fridays, and do ab ripper x, and

cardio X on Monday and Thursday. Started watching what I eat at the

same time, and treat myself to one pop on Friday night, and one Saturday

night. They say it takes approx 21 days to flow into a new habbit, the

best advice I can give you Todd is to maintain consistency, and be diligent

to yourself. If you fall off, get right back on. After you get into the flow

you don't want to stop, and actually feel guilt, or anxiety if you have to

miss a workout, which will happen every now and then. Love ya man!
Post #: 1235
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 11:53:02 AM   
Todd M

My only real goal is to be a lot healthier 6 months down the road from the start of this. I'm not really counting calories just plugging in the food I eat, without going hungry, and they are what they are. Portion control with healthy choices and the elimination of pop, processed food/snacks. Minus the occasional treat as they come. Tons of water.

Sitting down to a big, maybe too, spinach salad with peppers, cheese, nuts, tuna...setting down the plate and fork to type out something or read something.

I feel comfortable with where I'm at. The weight will come down as it comes down. No doubt about that if I stay the course. I don't plan to be obsessed about it. As long as I'm make mostly good choices...that's my goal right now.

I'll do the pants things.
Post #: 1236
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 11:55:43 AM   
Todd M

Thanks Randy! Back at ya.

So you did the throw away cold turkey deal too, eh?

I soooo want to do that. Soon...
Post #: 1237
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 1:23:17 PM   
thebigo

quote:

My only real goal is to be a lot healthier 6 months down the road from the start of this. I'm not really counting calories just plugging in the food I eat, without going hungry, and they are what they are. Portion control with healthy choices and the elimination of pop, processed food/snacks. Minus the occasional treat as they come. Tons of water.

Sitting down to a big, maybe too, spinach salad with peppers, cheese, nuts, tuna...setting down the plate and fork to type out something or read something.

I feel comfortable with where I'm at. The weight will come down as it comes down. No doubt about that if I stay the course. I don't plan to be obsessed about it. As long as I'm make mostly good choices...that's my goal right now.

I'll do the pants things.

I'll send you a pair.

One word on personal "anecdotal" experience with spinach. I've had 2 bouts with kidney/bladder stones in my life. Both in the space of about 2 years. Hasn't re-occurred in 10 years plus. In researching the possible causes for these, one of the items was "excessive" consumption of spinach. Apparently spinach has a "gluey" component to it, you can observe this if you boil spinach lightly (before the whole pile turns into a shapeless mass), pour the spinach out of the pot, notice how the leaves have a tendency to stick to the sides of the pan. The idea being that this gluey substance when in excess, has a tendency to bind calcium together, you know the result. Well, on retrospect, prior to both my stone incidents, I had been on heavy spinach diets, consuming at least one large spinach salad a day, for a while, a month, 2 months, I don't remember the specifics. Essentially buying the spinach in the bulk bags at Costco, then hurrying to finish them due to spinach limited shelf life. Once cognizant of this info, it goes without saying that I quit spinach, entirely for a while, now I do eat it whenevers, but certainly not frequently. And I haven't had any stone issues since.

Anecdotal? Perhaps. But it's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Also lemon in your diet is supposed to help break down stuff like the "glueys".
Post #: 1238
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 2:33:45 PM   
Todd M

Hope I don't get them. I'm not tough enough to handle them.

The spinach salad got me to my lowest # yet @ 6.3 and I woke up at 10.2 so I'm gonna have to risk it.
Post #: 1239
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 2:37:40 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

moderation todd..

i know you have little experience with that seeing how you bitch about moderators constantly.. but...

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1240
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 4:25:37 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

you dont have a choice, if you get them, you tough them out.. i screamed in agony, both times..

couldn't get to the hospital fast enough...

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1241
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 5:17:50 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

you dont have a choice, if you get them, you tough them out.. i screamed in agony, both times..

couldn't get to the hospital fast enough...

Kidney stones sounds awful

Don't leave a loaded hand gun laying around

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1242
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 5:54:16 PM   
Ricky J

http://www.decoraheaglecamalerts.com

The eagles are on the nest right now?
Post #: 1243
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 6:09:44 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

http://www.decoraheaglecamalerts.com

The eagles are on the nest right now?

Is it that time again?

Just seem two of them when I peaked.

I was happy to do it last year considering they all lived. Cool experience.
Post #: 1244
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 6:30:44 PM   
Ricky J

They're fixing up the nest now -
Post #: 1245
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 6:44:41 PM   
thebigo

quote:

The spinach salad got me to my lowest # yet @ 6.3 and I woke up at 10.2 so I'm gonna have to risk it.

The worst part was the trip from the kidney to the bladder, via the ureter. The trip out of the bladder was a bit disconcerting/scary, but once it started it was quick and didn't really notice any pain to speak of. Was even able to grab one of them out of the urinal for later analysis.
Post #: 1246
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 6:53:44 PM   
thebigo

Grilled asparagas
Post #: 1247
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 9:12:39 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

The worst part was the trip from the kidney to the bladder, via the ureter. The trip out of the bladder was a bit disconcerting/scary, but once it started it was quick and didn't really notice any pain to speak of. Was even able to grab one of them out of the urinal for later analysis.

Both times I was in the hospital, they made me piss into a fine meshed screen lined container to catch the little bastards..

As you said.. the pissing part was the relief.. knowing the little bastards were getting the hell out of dodge..

The "felt like a hot poker had been run thru my back from just under my rib cage on the right side, down to my groin" was THE WORST pain I can EVER remember having to do with no mitigating drugs...

That trip from kidney to bladder took a couple hours and it hurt like ... see above.. the whole time.

Even writing about it makes my kidneys cringe in terror... 20+ years later.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1248
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 9:18:11 PM   
Todd M

Got the goods on heart rate, Dan?

You get conflicting messages out there.

I wasn't happy with mine after biking. Did some meditation with the wife and I still didn't love the number.
Post #: 1249
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 9:35:00 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

healthy, resting heat rate, is 70-75 or lower..

average is about 72..

heart rate when exercising should try to be kept in the 110-120 range for a bit.. like 10- 30 mins unless your a pro-fit athlete then time doesn't matter..

it should return to normal in about an hour after stopping..

this is strictly going from memory on what a physical therapist told me..

i spent 18 months with one and we talked a lot during my torture sessions..

I'll scout around some for advice on resting rates, exercise and recovery times.. its out there..

http://get.smarter.com/qa/health/healthy-heart-rate-dc8ef97cfc2b170b?ad=semD&an=msn_s&am=broad&o=35353#

i found this.. best source i would use:
The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends aiming for 50% of your maximum heart rate (MHR) when you first start exercising. To estimate your MHR, subtract your age from 220. For the average 50-year-old, then, the MHR is 170 beats per minute, and 50% of that is 85 beats per minute.

As time goes on and you get fitter, gradually build up to a harder workout. The AHA says a good goal is 85% of your MHR. For a 50-year-old, that’s 145 beats per minute.

If you’re over 50 and haven’t been active for a while, discuss your workout plan with your physician

you can do the math yourself.. for me.. it is

220-58=162 x.85( i consider myself fairly fit and can ride a bike a good 20 mile at a pop.. for my age that's good..)==138 bpm while working out..

from another source the normal range of resting heart rates can be anywhere from 65 to 100 depending on age and level of general health..

one thing I will tell you is that blood pressure meds which they proscribe to lower blood pressure also lower your heart rate..

when i had my heart attack..

and i was not a obese or anything, at the time.. just bad health and eating habits had caught up with me.. smoking.. eating like i was a teenager.. etc..

i was probably 20 lbs over weight at the time .. my bmi scale and the hospital said i was at an index of 27 which is not morbid..

but anyway even though i did not have high blood pressure and never even had a history of high blood pressure, no one in my family has a history of high blood pressure..

the "default mode" for heart attack recovery in the hospital is to load you up with meds that reduce blood pressure and slow your heart rate "a little"..

they did not realise that i really didn't need that shit and during the three days i spent in the hospital .. the first two nights they kept having to wake me up and make me walk around because the heart monitor alarms taped all over me would go off because my heart rate, while sleeping like a baby, would drop to under 45 BPM ..

the nurses would come in and shake me. get me out of a sound sleep and make me pace back and fourth..until it was over 60 again.. pissed me off..

it became a game.. during the day i'd lay there and "rest", meditate and use some tricks i know to slow and calm my heart.. the alarms would hit the 45 and i'd hear them go off at the nurses station.. knowing I had like 30 seconds before they got there.. i'd do things like clench up all my muscles... arms.. legs.. abdomen.. and think angry thoughts to shoot all my vitals back up quickly.. they would come in the door and the alarms would be silenced and they would look at me and ask if i had disturbed or unplugged any of the monitors..

I'm like HUH?? no just watching tv.. wishing I was outa here... why?

yea i was being a dick..
might have been risking a clot in my new stent.. idk..

By the second night, I was sick of it and when they woke me up, i lit into one of the poor night nurses..not her fault, really, but i was getting little sleep and was cranky.. and told her to get the FN resident on duty up here ..

i told him to either cut down the BP meds or Id sue..

He had them turn down the rate monitor to a lower level like 39.. said he couldn't go any lower or remove it without a cardiologists ok

the cardiologist was in my room at 7 AM the next morning..

he asked me what the problem was and I told him that the BP meds were making me fall into low rate danger area while sleeping..

He reviewed my icu charts, looked at a couple Ekg strips they pulled every few hours and had a nurse bring him my medical records with, oh, 5-6 years of doctors visits and physicals in it.. looked at it and said..

uh.. yea you really don't have ANY history of high blood pressure..

he cut my meds in half and said they could keep the monitor set under 40 bpm resting..

it never went off again..

I slept well after that and they let me go home the next day and back to work the next week.

do i ramble or what?

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/11/2016 10:33:53 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1250
Page:   <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode