Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/10/2016 8:02:10 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Stick man!

I'm carrying 260 fairly well.

I might have to concede 225. My goal of 99 - not 100 cause 9's are three 3's and 3's are awesome doesn't seem appropriate for my body type. I read at my height that I should be between 145 and 190.
Post #: 1426
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/10/2016 8:13:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Stick man!

I might have to concede 225. My goal of 99 - not 100 cause 9's are three 3's and 3's are awesome doesn't seem appropriate for my body type. I read at my height that I should be between 145 and 190.

I was 155 fresh out of Marine Corp boot camp, put on 10 lbs on 2 weeks leave, still didn't have an ounce of fat on me. Supposedly at my height 165 lbs is obese.
Post #: 1427
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/10/2016 9:10:20 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Stick man!

I was 155 fresh out of Marine Corp boot camp, put on 10 lbs on 2 weeks leave, still didn't have an ounce of fat on me. Supposedly at my height 165 lbs is obese.

what are you, a hobbit?

the "BMI index" is all messed up anyway.. my "ideal" wight for 6'4 is 205.. yea right..

i'm around 205 now, fluctuates a lot in the 200-210 range depending on how active i am and what i eat....

but i have that "old guy " belly fat pad that i'm trying to ditch, but my fricken pants wont stay up without a belt anymore..

i need to do some weight lifting to build muscle, but it's difficult with all the arthritis creeping into my hands, shoulders and hip joints..

Todd just keep working the changes you have made.. you look a lot happier and if you as tall as i think you are 210-220 will be a good wight for you if your working out..

muscle mass is a lot denser than body fat so once you start to build muscle and trade off the fat, you may "plateau" again.

do not be discouraged.. you have done great so far changing your lifestyle to address a health concern..

when i look back at my life before my Heart attack, I'm surprised at how careless and "too smart for my own good" i was about my nutrition..

moderate exercise, staying active VS "couch potato" and portion control and healthier food choices are the ticket..

Its so distrssing to see and watch my Wife fail at all those things, but trying to eat healthier foods..
but she binges..
we went to Outback steakhouse, for dinner, with my mom and older brother this weekend.

she ordered an appetizer, ("blooming onion"), which they kind of messed up the first one.. it came out looking funny like it had fallen apart in the fryer.. so they brought us another one as well.

They ended up tasking that second one, in a "to go" box..

i didn't touch it.. not my cuppa.. deep fried onion.. pass...

She chowed down on the "appetizer", with dipping sauce, even though onions giver her gastric distress, so much, that she couldn't eat her entree.. or the side order of jumbo coconut shrimp.. ( I ate those.. damn I love coconut shrimpies..)

sometimes I just

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1428
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/10/2016 10:27:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

Stick man!

what are you, a hobbit?

the "BMI index" is all messed up anyway.. my "ideal" wight for 6'4 is 205.. yea right..

i'm around 205 now, fluctuates a lot in the 200-210 range depending on how active i am and what i eat....

but i have that "old guy " belly fat pad that i'm trying to ditch, but my fricken pants wont stay up without a belt anymore..

i need to do some weight lifting to build muscle, but it's difficult with all the arthritis creeping into my hands, shoulders and hip joints..

Todd just keep working the changes you have made.. you look a lot happier and if you as tall as i think you are 210-220 will be a good wight for you if your working out..

muscle mass is a lot denser than body fat so once you start to build muscle and trade off the fat, you may "plateau" again.

do not be discouraged.. you have done great so far changing your lifestyle to address a health concern..

when i look back at my life before my Heart attack, I'm surprised at how careless and "too smart for my own good" i was about my nutrition..

moderate exercise, staying active VS "couch potato" and portion control and healthier food choices are the ticket..

Its so distrssing to see and watch my Wife fail at all those things, but trying to eat healthier foods..
but she binges..
we went to Outback steakhouse, for dinner, with my mom and older brother this weekend.

she ordered an appetizer, ("blooming onion"), which they kind of messed up the first one.. it came out looking funny like it had fallen apart in the fryer.. so they brought us another one as well.

She chowed down on the "appetizer", with dipping sauce, even though onions giver her gastric distress, so much, that she couldn't eat her entree.. or the side order of jumbo coconut shrimp.. ( I ate those.. damn I love coconut shrimpies..)

sometimes I just

That's unfortunate. For you.
Post #: 1429
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/10/2016 10:30:53 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Stick man!

what are you, a hobbit?

I'm a 5'8" version of you. Only with hair.
Post #: 1430
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/10/2016 10:55:06 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

hair is over rated...

i shave mine all summer anyway

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1431
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/10/2016 11:01:36 PM   
Todd M

Another month and I might start shaving mine.
Post #: 1432
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/11/2016 7:27:30 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

The before is about a year before I started...maybe 10lbs off my heaviest. Not done with the after yet.

Thumbnail Image

Great pics Todd. You're homelier than I thought you were. J/K of course. BTW, what's that thingy hanging around your neck? A proctoscope or what?

Seriously, you certainly are doing a wonderful job with your health issues and are to be commended. That is a huge weight loss in a very short time. And your blood sugar counts and all the other
stuff is outstanding. Keep it up. I know we've discussed it before but any plans on the cigs? That would be a nice clean sweep. None of my business I know. I'm proud of what you've accomplished so far.
Post #: 1433
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/11/2016 8:48:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Stick man!

what are you, a hobbit?

but she binges..

sometimes I just

Dan,

Have you ever tried the Stretching Bands? I have them strapped to the utility room door and I have up to 250 LBS of weight in bands that I can use. The only weights we have in the house are 2 50 dumbells which never get used, a variable weight kettle bell, and the bands. Lot easier on the joints.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/12/2016 12:58:27 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1434
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/11/2016 8:58:51 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

quote:

The before is about a year before I started...maybe 10lbs off my heaviest. Not done with the after yet.

Thumbnail Image

Great pics Todd. You're homelier than I thought you were. J/K of course. BTW, what's that thingy hanging around your neck? A proctoscope or what?

Seriously, you certainly are doing a wonderful job with your health issues and are to be commended. That is a huge weight loss in a very short time. And your blood sugar counts and all the other
stuff is outstanding. Keep it up. I know we've discussed it before but any plans on the cigs? That would be a nice clean sweep. None of my business I know. I'm proud of what you've accomplished so far.

Thanks man. That's an e-cig around my neck. Used it for a year an a half. But I never stopped inhaling and being addicted really. I've NEVER attempted to get completely off nicotine. It's either been cigarettes or a nicotine replacement of some sort. I'm close bud, I really am. Now that I am going to the gym the smoking thing is seeming more and more out of place. Like, why am I doing this one REALLY bad thing while doing so many other positive things?

Really appreciate the kind words.
Post #: 1435
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/11/2016 2:43:16 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Thanks man. That's an e-cig around my neck. Used it for a year an a half. But I never stopped inhaling and being addicted really. I've NEVER attempted to get completely off nicotine. It's either been cigarettes or a nicotine replacement of some sort. I'm close bud, I really am. Now that I am going to the gym the smoking thing is seeming more and more out of place. Like, why am I doing this one REALLY bad thing while doing so many other positive things?

Really appreciate the kind words.

My doctor said that nicotine is more benign than caffeine.
Post #: 1436
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/11/2016 5:07:29 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Interesting. Looked up a couple of articles on it. There seems to be some debate...

Surely just consuming nicotine is preferred over smoking to get it. And I've always had success, at least enough to quit smoking, with NRT's. But everywhere I've bumped into says 'quit cold turkey and get off of it'.

Some thinking/more reading to do...

Thanks though...
Post #: 1437
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/12/2016 8:22:58 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

Sorry, but that sounds pretty irresponsible by your doctor. Maybe he is a smoker himself and has been in denial for years.

It's one thing for a doctor to say, sure, mix in a sugary treat once in a while, but do it in moderation while you make sure you eat good, nutritious food as the mainstay of your diet.

That's telling a patient that it's okay to be human and have a treat as long as you give your body good nutritious foods for the bulk of your meals.

But to essentially dismiss the damaging effects and the addictive nature of nicotine is pretty bad.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1438
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/12/2016 8:32:52 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I didn't read it that way at all. Just that, given the 2, caffeine is worse than nicotine.

That being said, I've also heard that argument (albeit not from a Dr.). The "case" goes like this (and assumes you aren't talking about smoking, just the drugs themselves):

Caffeine also makes you eat a LOT more while nicotine usually suppresses your appetite. And lets be honest, nobody is washing down celery and carrots with coke. It's normally burgers/pizza/wings ect.

So the combination effect is high cholesterol, BP and sugar levels versus just "nicotine".
Post #: 1439
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/12/2016 9:37:30 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

Caffeine also makes you eat a LOT more while nicotine usually suppresses your appetite.

I totally agree with that. That's why a bunch of people (often teenage girls) start smoking. They have heard it's a way to keep the weight off.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1440
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/12/2016 12:53:14 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

Sorry, but that sounds pretty irresponsible by your doctor. Maybe he is a smoker himself and has been in denial for years.

It's one thing for a doctor to say, sure, mix in a sugary treat once in a while, but do it in moderation while you make sure you eat good, nutritious food as the mainstay of your diet.

That's telling a patient that it's okay to be human and have a treat as long as you give your body good nutritious foods for the bulk of your meals.

But to essentially dismiss the damaging effects and the addictive nature of nicotine is pretty bad.

He didn't do that, and the damaging effects he was pretty clear on, less damaging than caffeine.
Post #: 1441
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/12/2016 2:50:45 PM  1 votes
This was the last time I saw you Todd ... nice work bud. Pretty dramatic. Glad to see your hard work pay off to lose the weight and cut the smoking.

Thumbnail Image

< Message edited by Art -- 4/12/2016 2:52:23 PM >

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 1442
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/12/2016 6:46:23 PM   
Todd M

Thanks, Art. Wonder what my weight was in Seattle. I feel like I gained a fair bit of weight since then and that like 3 1/2 years ago. 260 now, 310 when I started...maybe 280/290 there? 20-30 pounds from there sure feels different. I booted around quite a bit in Seattle...even going on a hike with Greg. Tons o walking and my feet were killing me! I could get around there pretty good now. Like a champ come football season.

---

The smoking thing...appetite suppressant.

I often found myself nibbling, or eating, just so I could have the after eating smoke.
Post #: 1443
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/14/2016 12:52:28 PM   
Jon Thomas

quote:

quote:

quote:

He didn't do that, and the damaging effects he was pretty clear on, less damaging than caffeine.

Only if you isolate the drug from typical dosing device...

What's In Cigarette Smoke?

Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT.

Nicotine is highly addictive. Smoke containing nicotine is inhaled into the lungs, and the nicotine reaches your brain in just six seconds.

Nicotine in small doses acts as a stimulant to the brain. In large doses, it's a depressant, inhibiting the flow of signals between nerve cells. In even larger doses, it's a lethal poison, affecting the heart, blood vessels, and hormones. Nicotine in the bloodstream acts to make the smoker feel calm.

As a cigarette is smoked, the amount of tar inhaled into the lungs increases, and the last puff contains more than twice as much tar as the first puff. Carbon monoxide makes it harder for red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout the body. Tar is a mixture of substances that together form a sticky mass in the lungs.

Most of the chemicals inhaled in cigarette smoke stay in the lungs. The more you inhale, the better it feels—and the greater the damage to your lungs.

Me, I'll take the caffeine... And have for over 20 years now...

Post #: 1444
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/14/2016 7:17:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jon Thomas

quote:

quote:

quote:

Only if you isolate the drug from typical dosing device...

Pretty sure that was understood.
Post #: 1445
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/17/2016 8:46:09 AM   
Todd M

Post #: 1446
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/17/2016 8:49:05 AM   
Todd M

Went for a walk to get coffee last night. My wallet was dragging down my already too loose shorts. Wife offers to hold it...aaaaand it's gone.
Post #: 1447
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/17/2016 9:20:49 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

LOL that sucks.. always buy drawstring or beltable shorts..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1448
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/17/2016 11:39:37 AM   
Todd M

122k person study. Type 2 diabetes remission.

Achieving partial = 1 year no meds sub diabetic scores (5-7 - 6.4% A1C) 340
complete = 1 year no meds normal scores (<5.7%) 25
prolonged = 5 years no meds normal scores (<5.7%) 5

Now you'd think after 2 months of being on meds and driving my number to low to mid 5's that that would be enough. If I hadn't been able to regulate things with medications and diet it was insulin time, so I'm winning...

Buuuuut...can't just have one SB win and some health gains...gotta have multiple rings, and records, and history setting events and I want to buck those remission odds!

Probably going to be some disappointment there along the way.
Post #: 1449
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/17/2016 3:39:52 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

dude... diabetes induced by poor eating habits and obesity is THE easiest thing to correct....

The Vikings penchant for "losing the big Games that matter most" is totally out of our control...

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1450
Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode