Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/16/2017 11:36:43 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Art - I definitely agree that we eat way too much beef in our diets, and portion size is crazy at restaurants.

But I'm not ready to give up that perfectly seared porterhouse or rib eye that we cook on our own grill. Best ever!

That's my girl! (of course, not really my girl)
Post #: 1976
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 7:22:17 AM   
Todd M

So I sourced out my milk and eggs yesterday. Not sure if t it can be taken a step further or not but I think I'm content with my choices.

Grass fed milk. Did some research on which was better grass fed vs organic. I guess I care more about the treatment than how the lands they graze on are cared for. Found a nice producer where they are fed a 100%. grass diet and seemed to be cared for very well. Absolutely the best milk I ever tasted. You can taste the happiness from the cows. 4 liters of sad cow milk is about $4.50 here and this was 2L for $6.50. This is fine by me.

Eggs. Went with 'free run' eggs. I guess they are inside but have free run to do chicken things and lay eggs as they will in their nests. Fed an all grain diet enriched with flax seed to give them the preferred omega 3-6 ratio. A little more than double the price but again I'm fine with that.

Two good choices I feel good about.
Post #: 1977
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:16:31 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

So I sourced out my milk and eggs yesterday. Not sure if t it can be taken a step further or not but I think I'm content with my choices.

Grass fed milk. Did some research on which was better grass fed vs organic. I guess I care more about the treatment than how the lands they graze on are cared for. Found a nice producer where they are fed a 100%. grass diet and seemed to be cared for very well. Absolutely the best milk I ever tasted. You can taste the happiness from the cows. 4 liters of sad cow milk is about $4.50 here and this was 2L for $6.50. This is fine by me.

Eggs. Went with 'free run' eggs. I guess they are inside but have free run to do chicken things and lay eggs as they will in their nests. Fed an all grain diet enriched with flax seed to give them the preferred omega 3-6 ratio. A little more than double the price but again I'm fine with that.

Free run or free range?

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1978
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:18:24 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I applaud you for trying. Research can be tough. The government (at least in the US) can mask crap treatment and standards with loose wording in what things like "free range" or "organic" really mean.

You don't have a family owned farm near by? That's really the best bet, if available. Especially if they allow you to come by at anytime. Some have specific days they have tours. That's always a bit fishy to me. Might be paranoid about it though. I don't trust any of those types of industries. They don't care about animals/people/health ect. Just money.
Post #: 1979
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:20:49 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Free run or free range?

Free run. Indoors in a barn but free to run about.
Post #: 1980
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:22:26 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I applaud you for trying. Research can be tough. The government (at least in the US) can mask crap treatment and standards with loose wording in what things like "free range" or "organic" really mean.

You don't have a family owned farm near by? That's really the best bet, if available. Especially if they allow you to come by at anytime. Some have specific days they have tours. That's always a bit fishy to me. Might be paranoid about it though. I don't trust any of those types of industries. They don't care about animals/people/health ect. Just money.

Bit of a leap of faith for sure. I'd like to believe our regulations here are a bit better than there. I want to believe that things are on the up and up and I'm not just falling victim to false labeling and advertising.
Post #: 1981
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:28:13 AM   
Todd M

quote:

98% of Canada’s 26 million egg laying hens are kept in battery cages
Battery cages usually hold four or more hens which are crowded into an area measuring just sixteen inches wide. The cages are stacked in tiers and lined up in rows in huge sheds. The hens are crowded so tightly, that they cannot even stretch their wings or legs. Constantly rubbing against the wire cages, they suffer from severe feather loss, and their bodies are covered with bruises and abrasions. Some birds to not survive this ordeal – it is not uncommon to discover rotting bird carcasses inside the cages.

The Canadian Coalition for Farm Animals (CCFA) and the Vancouver Humane Society (VHS) are asking the public to stop buying eggs from hens raised in cruel and inhumane conditions. They say that more humane alternatives do exist and are readily available in supermarkets across the country. “Certified organic, free-range or free-run eggs all come from hens that were not in cages.”

Gonna go forward believing I'm no longer part of that 98%.
Post #: 1982
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:35:12 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Free run or free range?

Never heard of that one. The problem with grain fed chickens is what's in the grain?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1983
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:39:14 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

98% of Canada’s 26 million egg laying hens are kept in battery cages
Battery cages usually hold four or more hens which are crowded into an area measuring just sixteen inches wide. The cages are stacked in tiers and lined up in rows in huge sheds. The hens are crowded so tightly, that they cannot even stretch their wings or legs. Constantly rubbing against the wire cages, they suffer from severe feather loss, and their bodies are covered with bruises and abrasions. Some birds to not survive this ordeal – it is not uncommon to discover rotting bird carcasses inside the cages.

The Canadian Coalition for Farm Animals (CCFA) and the Vancouver Humane Society (VHS) are asking the public to stop buying eggs from hens raised in cruel and inhumane conditions. They say that more humane alternatives do exist and are readily available in supermarkets across the country. “Certified organic, free-range or free-run eggs all come from hens that were not in cages.”

Gonna go forward believing I'm no longer part of that 98%.

Just disgusting the condition some animals have to live in
Post #: 1984
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:44:58 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Free run or free range?

Internet explanation:

Free Run eggs are produced by hens that run free in an open concept barn that has a variety of nests and perches. They are not housed in cages. Free Range hens have the same freedoms and they also have access to roam outdoors.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/17/2017 8:46:40 AM >

Post #: 1985
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:45:22 AM   
Ricky J

I've got a lot and half over by the tracks with a garage on it. We've been talking about raising a few chickens. But they'd be for looking at, not eatin'
Post #: 1986
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:46:11 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Free run or free range?

Free Run eggs are produced by hens that run free in an open concept barn that has a variety of nests and perches. They are not housed in cages. Free Range hens have the same freedoms and they also have access to roam outdoors.

Understood. I think either is fine.
Post #: 1987
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:47:08 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I've got a lot and half over by the tracks with a garage on it. We've been talking about raising a few chickens. But they'd be for looking at, not eatin'

What about the eggs?
Post #: 1988
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:47:16 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

What about the eggs?

Haven't even thought about that aspect of it but I'm sure that'd be a cool bonus. We get our eggs from a farm. Easily pay 2x what you would pay at Kwik Star. I'm interested in how they'd be classified now

You sure are challenging me to move forward ...

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 12/17/2017 8:51:42 AM >
Post #: 1989
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:47:48 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Free run or free range?

Understood. I think either is fine.

Stole the explanation from the internet. My wife likes to get free range stuff. Never heard of free run.

Post #: 1990
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 9:05:04 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

What about the eggs?

Haven't even thought about that aspect of it but I'm sure that'd be a cool bonus. We get our eggs from a farm. Easily pay 2x what you would pay at Kwik Star. I'm interested in how they'd be classified now

You sure are challenging me to move forward ...

Good.
Post #: 1991
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 10:07:47 AM   
Lynn G.

I'm in agreement that I'm happy to pay more for a product if it checks a box in my morality/humanity column. I'm going to have to research locally on where to get free-range or free-run eggs.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1992
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 10:10:40 AM   
Brad H

quote:

I'm in agreement that I'm happy to pay more for a product if it checks a box in my morality/humanity column. I'm going to have to research locally on where to get free-range or free-run eggs.

Pretty sure they sell free range eggs at any grocery store.

Post #: 1993
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 10:54:30 AM   
Lynn G.

Possibly. I admit I've never looked beyond the main egg case that I've been opening and taking my large eggs from for years.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1994
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 11:17:17 AM  1 votes
Bill Jandro

If you ever get the chance and can buy eggs from the farm you will really notice the difference from your store boughten egg.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1995
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 11:37:44 AM   
David Levine

quote:

My wife’s uncle on The Big Island raises chickens. He has about a dozen females and a rooster. They’re basically pets, but the eggs are AMAZING.
Post #: 1996
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 7:53:23 PM   
DeLain

quote:

quote:

Pretty sure they sell free range eggs at any grocery store.

They do sell them at almost any store, I buy them....but eggs from a local farm still taste better and different.

HFAC's Certified Humane® “Free Range” requirement is 2 sq. ft. per bird. The hens must be outdoors, weather permitting (in some areas of the country, seasonal), and when they are outdoors they must be outdoors for at least 6 hours per day. All other standards must be met.

Free range

“Free-range” or “free-roaming” on a label implies that the bird had unrestricted access to the outside world. In reality, the term only guarantees that poultry have the opportunity to go outside--not that poultry actually go outside or have meaningful access to outdoor foraging. Further, the USDA defines "free-range" only for chickens raised for meat, and not for laying hens. Most eggs labeled as "free-range" or "free-roaming" are from laying hens not confined in battery cages, but the laying hens are confined indoors on the floor rather than in open pasture. Due to the lack of meaningful or verified outdoor pasture access for poultry FACT does not recommend this label.
Post #: 1997
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/17/2017 8:29:14 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

My wife’s uncle on The Big Island raises chickens. He has about a dozen females and a rooster. They’re basically pets, but the eggs are AMAZING.

I'll bet. I saw a lot of what I thought were wild chickens in Oahu. Pretty.
Post #: 1998
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/18/2017 10:14:55 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

If you ever get the chance and can buy eggs from the farm you will really notice the difference from your store boughten egg.

My wife grew up on a farm and doesn't like chicken bought from a store. Says it doesn't taste right.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1999
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/18/2017 11:58:36 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

My wife grew up on a farm and doesn't like chicken bought from a store. Says it doesn't taste right.

Check breasts now are bigger than an Orange County House Wives rack. I fully expect to find a silicone implant when I bite into them. They pump them up way too much with hormones.

Post #: 2000
Page:   <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode