Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/9/2018 2:46:26 PM   
TJSweens

And of course, right away, the Lindsey Whalen rumor mill starts up.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 376
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/9/2018 3:36:00 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens
And of course, right away, the Lindsey Whalen rumor mill starts up.

I like Lindsey...don't know if she is ready to coach. I think Stollings is a good coach but not a great coach.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 377
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/9/2018 3:45:57 PM   
TJSweens

Stollings had a good and entertaining scheme. Her problem was in trying to recruit Minnesota. The Gopher women's basketball team has had a decades long problem of the best in state talent going elsewhere. Borton got Frese's recruiting class to hold their commitments, but lost 3 of them in the following year. The only star quality in state recruits she pulled in 12 years were Banham and Wagner. The rest, including a few future WNBA players left the state. The belief is that Whalen would be able to keep these quality recruits at home. Most of these girls grow up idolizing her right now.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 378
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 9:19:49 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Stollings had a good and entertaining scheme. Her problem was in trying to recruit Minnesota. The Gopher women's basketball team has had a decades long problem of the best in state talent going elsewhere. Borton got Frese's recruiting class to hold their commitments, but lost 3 of them in the following year. The only star quality in state recruits she pulled in 12 years were Banham and Wagner. The rest, including a few future WNBA players left the state. The belief is that Whalen would be able to keep these quality recruits at home. Most of these girls grow up idolizing her right now.

So, what do you think? Do they hire Whalen?

The U just cannot keep SOME coaches for very long.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 379
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 9:31:46 AM   
TJSweens

I think if Whalen wanted to do it, they would hire her in a heartbeat. Minnesota is set to produce another bumper crop of women's D1 players, who all grew up worshiping Whalen. I don't know if she is ready to end her playing career at this point.

Post #: 380
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 11:14:59 AM   
twinsfan

Why would Whalen want it? She's still playing in the WNBA. When that's over, she wants to be a sports broadcaster.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 381
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 12:27:50 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Why would Whalen want it? She's still playing in the WNBA. When that's over, she wants to be a sports broadcaster.

Pretty Easy $$$....you think she will make .5-1 Million a year broadcasting? The opportunity is there for her....I bet they would let her play another year of WNBA even.

Post #: 382
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 12:31:28 PM   
TJSweens

She hasn't said anything about wanting to a broadcaster. She was invited to sit in on a few Wolves games and that's about the extent of it.

The real question is if she would be willing to walk away from her playing career. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers accommodated her playing one last season this summer and taking over after the Lynx are done. Much like they did with Hugh McCutchen.

Post #: 383
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 2:14:14 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

She hasn't said anything about wanting to a broadcaster. She was invited to sit in on a few Wolves games and that's about the extent of it.
The real question is if she would be willing to walk away from her playing career. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers accommodated her playing one last season this summer and taking over after the Lynx are done. Much like they did with Hugh McCutchen.

I would be really worried if I was the Lynx....she makes about 80-100k to play and could make 5-10x that coaching at the university she starred at.....not many get to do that.

Pretty sure if she has the chops to do it in Coyle's eyes, the job is hers. Just imagine the marketing having her as coach would do....

Post #: 384
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 3:08:48 PM   
TJSweens

Yep. Stollings was paid $500,000 last year. Lindsay would probably command more than that, but the bump in gate receipts would more than offset it.

Post #: 385
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 3:19:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Pretty Easy $$$....you think she will make .5-1 Million a year broadcasting? The opportunity is there for her....I bet they would let her play another year of WNBA even.

If money was her concern, she wouldn't have retired from international play. She gave up hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) to be able to stay fresher during WNBA seasons and play for (comparable) peanuts.
Post #: 386
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 3:22:06 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Its a bit more than that. Last season it was a bit more informal. This year she was scheduled before the season started to be the 3rd person in the booth for 8 games, and she's appeared a number of times on TNT NBA broadcasts as well.

You could say the same thing about her not saying anything about wanting to be a coach, as she has no coaching experience at any level.
Post #: 387
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 3:23:44 PM   
Pete M.

The dream scenario is hiring Whalen and getting an experienced first assistant. I'm still pulling for a Whalen-JPete-Roysland staff, but that's beyond pipe dream status.
Post #: 388
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 3:28:22 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Its a bit more than that. Last season it was a bit more informal. This year she was scheduled before the season started to be the 3rd person in the booth for 8 games, and she's appeared a number of times on TNT NBA broadcasts as well.

You could say the same thing about her not saying anything about wanting to be a coach, as she has no coaching experience at any level.

It's nothing more than a hunch, but I have the feeling the Gopher job would be very appealing to her where another coaching job might not. She's been a volunteer assistant for them a few times.

Like I said, I really question whether she is ready to end her playing career. The whole core of the Lynx seems pretty committed to riding this out as long as it will go.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 4/10/2018 3:30:06 PM >

Post #: 389
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 3:40:10 PM   
twinsfan

Taking any coaching job at the U of M is sure to leave a stain on her record. She won't do it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 390
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 3:57:10 PM   
Pete M.

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's nothing more than a hunch, but I have the feeling the Gopher job would be very appealing to her where another coaching job might not. She's been a volunteer assistant for them a few times.

Like I said, I really question whether she is ready to end her playing career. The whole core of the Lynx seems pretty committed to riding this out as long as it will go.

Didn't Dawn Staley play WNBA and coach college at the twilight of her career? I can't see why the Gophers wouldn't let her do the same thing, if she were truly interested in the job. Get a combination of experienced and young/hungry assistants to help pick up the slack for a year or two, and I'd still do it.
Post #: 391
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/10/2018 4:54:10 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

The dream scenario is hiring Whalen and getting an experienced first assistant. I'm still pulling for a Whalen-JPete-Roysland staff, but that's beyond pipe dream status.

That
Would
Be
Cool

Hell, I'd pull for them to get the MENS job.
Post #: 392
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/11/2018 9:19:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

If money was her concern, she wouldn't have retired from international play. She gave up hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) to be able to stay fresher during WNBA seasons and play for (comparable) peanuts.

Her body wasn't holding up and she said in interviews her body needed that rest and she couldn't play both any more....we will see.

Post #: 393
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/11/2018 9:20:54 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan
quote:

That
Would
Be
Cool

I think having JPete on the bench would be a good idea.

Post #: 394
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/11/2018 10:20:50 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Her body wasn't holding up and she said in interviews her body needed that rest and she couldn't play both any more....we will see.

And she chose the one where she makes a fraction of the money.
Post #: 395
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/11/2018 10:22:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan
quote:

That
Would
Be
Cool

I think having JPete on the bench would be a good idea.

As Head Coach?

Because no way he's taking another assistant coaching job.

I think its very unlikely he gives up his broadcasting gig.
Post #: 396
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/11/2018 11:13:25 AM   
TJSweens

Peterson has already said he is not interested and really loves his broadcasting gig.

Post #: 397
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 2:47:17 PM   
twinsfan

Whoa! Whalen has accepted the head coaching job for the Gophers! I'm shocked.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 398
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 2:50:49 PM   
TJSweens

The deal apparently allows her to continue her playing career.

Post #: 399
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 2:52:19 PM   
TJSweens

LINDSAY WHALEN TAKES OVER WOMEN'S BASKETBALL

MINNEAPOLIS -- Mark Coyle announced Thursday that Lindsay Whalen, one of the most decorated players in women's basketball history, will return to the University of Minnesota as the new head women's basketball coach at her alma mater.

"People talk about the `it' factor, and that is always difficult to define, but everyone who has ever spent time around Lindsay Whalen knows she has it," said Coyle. "She has excelled at everything she has ever done in her life because she's unflappable, determined and has a legendary work ethic. She's played for some of the top coaches in the world, she's competed at the highest levels the sport has to offer, and I know she will be a great head coach for our women's basketball program."

"I have so many special memories at the University of Minnesota. I can't tell you how excited I am to have the opportunity to make more," said Whalen. "Becoming the head coach here at the U and being a Gopher again is a dream come true. At every level, basketball has given me so much. I've learned from so many great players, coaches and mentors, and now I have a chance to share that knowledge and help shape the new generation of Gopher stars. I'm ready to get started."

As part of Whalen's agreement to become head coach, which is pending approval from the University's Board of Regents, she will play continue to play for the Minnesota Lynx. Previously, Whalen announced in February that she was retiring from international competition. She had played for the U.S. National team since 2002, joining Team USA following her sophomore season with the Gophers.

Whalen returns to those same Gophers after destroying the program's record book in the early 2000s, finishing her career as Minnesota's all-time points leader, along with being second all-time in assists and third all-time in steals. A four-time all-state selection at Hutchinson High School, about an hour west of Minneapolis, Whalen went on to become the catalyst for the most successful seasons in the history of Gopher women's basketball.

She was the first three-time All-American in program history, a three-time All-Big Ten selection and a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree. After a Sweet Sixteen appearance her junior season (2002-03), Whalen led the Gophers to their only Final Four in program history in 2004. Her jersey, No. 13, hangs in the rafters of Williams Arena.

Whalen went on to collect numerous honors and championships in the WNBA and with the U.S. National team. After playing five seasons with the Connecticut Sun, Whalen returned to her home state with the Minnesota Lynx and has since won four WNBA championships (2011, 2013, 2015, 2017). Whalen has been named All-WNBA five times and is currently third in WNBA history in assists, to go along with being in the top-20 in career points and steals. Last year, she became the winningest player in WNBA history, having now been a part of more than 300 wins in the league. She also played professionally in Turkey, Russia and the Czech Republic.

In international competition, Whalen was a key piece to dominant performances by Team USA in world championship and Olympic competition. Whalen played for two gold medal teams at the World Championships (2010, 2014) and has also won two Olympic gold medals (2012, 2016).

Post #: 400
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode