Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/19/2018 3:11:44 PM   
Phil Riewer

Wonder how many assistants Lindsey will have....there were only 3 last year....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 426
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/19/2018 3:18:44 PM   
SoMnFan

....however many Lindsey wants .......

Post #: 427
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/19/2018 3:29:35 PM   
Phil Riewer

I forgot that attendance was about 10k when Whalen played and Borton/Stollings had it at about 3000 dropping to about 1800 at times.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/19/2018 3:30:38 PM >

Post #: 428
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/21/2018 7:30:48 AM   
Mr. Ed

NBA considering changing WNBA Season to winter

IMO, it would kill the league

Getting young people — particularly young women — to attend games is something Silver and the WNBA have been working on. The biggest demographic who supports the league, he said, is old men who like fundamental basketball.

And in order to get the league to draw more eyes, they’re contemplating moving the season away from the summer and into a more traditional spot in the winter.

“It’s been harder to get people to come to the games,” Silver said. “It may be because the games are in the summer. One of the things we’ve talked about is do we need to shift to the so-called more natural basketball season sort of in the fall and winter?”

Sure, maybe shifting the WNBA season to the winter — when fans are already used to watching most of their basketball — would help. But the league could also fall into the shadow of the NBA, college basketball, or even the NHL. Right now, it’s only main competitor in the United States in baseball.

While he admits that the league has improved tremendously since it first formed 21 years ago, Silver knows they have to keep growing — and growing with the right audience — if the WNBA is going to keep trending up.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 429
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/21/2018 7:31:26 AM   
Mr. Ed

I posted it here with the Whalen/Playing connection, which would end one or the other if they did this.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 430
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/23/2018 4:28:13 PM   
SoMnFan

I'm hearing our local legend is thought to be joining Lindsay's staff
Steph Bolden
Solid player back in the day at the U. Has turned into a solid coach.
Post #: 431
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/23/2018 4:30:37 PM   
TJSweens

You mean Shannon Bolden?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 432
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/23/2018 10:25:10 PM   
Thetruth

If you are talking about Shannon bolden I’m curious where this info came from. She’s married to my first cousin and they just had a kid. She does coach northland girls in thief river falls but I doubt this info would be true. But I guess I could ask
Post #: 433
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/24/2018 8:11:29 AM   
SoMnFan

Yup, meant Shannon
Nice to see y'all are paying attention.
Its just a local hope ... they do that here.
Post #: 434
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/24/2018 11:00:13 AM   
TJSweens

I think the idea of her (It's actually Shannon Nelson now) being on Whalen's staff is speculation on places like gopherhole.com. Nelson has been pretty successful at Northland Community College. There are a few ex Gophers players who have done well coaching. Roysland of course has done very well with Macalaster College. Kiara Buford has taken Robinsdale Cooper from a perennial last place team to the state championship in 4 years.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 435
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/24/2018 11:29:43 AM   
TJSweens

Whalen hires Thibault-DuDonis as assistant at Minnesota

Published April 23. 2018 9:33PM | Updated April 23. 2018 9:34PM
Day Staff Reports

Carly Thibault-DuDonis and Lindsay Whalen have been friends since the latter was drafted in 2004 by Thibault-DuDonis’ father, Mike, then the head coach of the Connecticut Sun.

The two will now be work colleagues as Whalen, the newly named head coach of the Minnesota women’s basketball team, hired Thibault-DuDonis as one of her two assistants Monday.

Thibault-DuDonis has been a Mississippi State assistant the previous two seasons and helped it to back-to-back national championship appearances. Whalen was traded to the Minnesota Lynx in 2010 and has been a big reason why they’ve won four WNBA titles. She also paced the Golden Gophers to their first and only Final Four appearance in 2004.

I've known Carly for a long time and she's had a pretty fast rise as an assistant coach and a recruiting coordinator in helping get Mississippi State to back-to-back national title games and selling out their arena,” Whalen said. “She's been a part of a real success story there, and I think she'll be able to bring that knowledge and passion that she has for the game here. She’s a go-getter and a hard worker.”

“I'm thankful to Lindsay and the University of Minnesota for the opportunity to join her,” said Thibault-DuDonis, a former East Lyme High School standout. “I'm excited about Lindsay's vision for Minnesota women's basketball and to help her get the program back to a place where it's competing for Big Ten championships and Final Four appearances year after year.

“I've known Lindsay since she was drafted into the WNBA in 2004, and I have yet to meet someone as competitive, team-oriented and dedicated as she is. That, coupled with her leadership abilities, are going to make her a great head coach at Minnesota for years to come.”

Thibault-DuDonis worked with Mississippi State’s guards and was its recruiting coordinator. She was an Eastern Michigan assistant for two seasons prior to that, and was also the Director of Recruiting Operations at Florida State for one season.

Thibault-DuDonis played at Monmouth from 2009-13 and finished third in school history with 166 career 3-pointers. She graduated from East Lyme in 2009 and was a two-time Day All-Area pick, helping the Vikings to the 2008 CIAC Class L title game, the program’s only state final appearance.

Whalen also hired Kelly Roysland, who had been the Macalester (St. Paul) head women's basketball coach the last four seasons.

Post #: 436
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/24/2018 11:33:13 AM   
TJSweens

Good, complimentary hires. Roysland is connected well for in state recruiting. Thibault-DuDonis has established recruiting connections at the D1 level outside of Minnesota.

Post #: 437
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/24/2018 1:25:58 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Good, complimentary hires. Roysland is connected well for in state recruiting. Thibault-DuDonis has established recruiting connections at the D1 level outside of Minnesota.

Getting what seems like a TOP assistant from a back to back national finals team seems almost too good to be true.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 438
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/24/2018 1:32:37 PM   
David Levine

The Daily Gopher:

Lindsay Whalen officially named the first two members of her coaching staff: Kelly Roysland and Carly Thibault-DuDonis.

Roysland is a former player at the University of Minnesota who briefly overlapped with Whalen. After playing, she moved into coaching. She served as an assistant to Pam Borton at Minnesota from 2010-2014 before moving to take the head coach at Macalester College in St. Paul. While her record at Macalester is not particularly impressive, the Scots have been a garbage basketball program for a long time. Roysland 11-14 record last year was the highest since 2011. Roysland has head coaching experience as well as D1 assistant experience. While at Minnesota, she had recruiting responsibilities (notably Carlie Wagner) in addition to coaching guards. Perhaps equally important for alumni relations is that Roysland comes from Minnesota and has been involved with Minnesota high schools for an extended period of time.

Carly Thibault-DuDonis spent the past two seasons on the Mississippi State coaching staff where she helped the Bulldogs to the Final Four and national title game in both of her seasons in Starkville. While on Mississippi State’s staff, she was the recruiting coordinator and worked with Bulldogs’s guards. Thibault-DuDonis helped the Bulldogs land a top 20 class.

From our vantage point, both of these are positive hires, and make us more confident in Whalen’s vision. Thibault-DuDonis is considered to be an excellent recruiter and has contacts in Michigan as well as the South. Roysland provides another pipeline to Minnesota and has handled the administrative side of being a head coach. Equally, all three current coaches on staff are going to be excellent teachers, especially for the guards.

The current open coaching position on staff is obviously someone who can coach the post. If we have a preference, we would lean towards a coach who has been involved in the D1 game for awhile and has had success with bigs.
Post #: 439
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 5/11/2018 2:17:35 PM   
TJSweens

Sounds like Whalen just rounded out the incoming class with a big signing. Top 100, 4 star PG.

Gophers’ Lindsay Whalen lands her second recruit: a four-star guard from Utah

By DANE MIZUTANI | dmizutani@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: May 9, 2018 at 4:27 pm | UPDATED: May 10, 2018 at 8:52 am

Less than a week after nabbing local recruit Sara Scalia of Stillwater High School, new Gophers women’s basketball coach Lindsay Whalen has landed her first out-of-state recruit.

Mercedes Staples of Viewmont High School in Bountiful, Utah, announced via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon that she has committed to the Gophers. The 5-foot-10 guard originally signed with Clemson, but requested a release after the school fired coach Audra Smith.

“I never thought I’d have to go through this process again,” Staples wrote on Twitter. “I couldn’t have done it without the help of my family and AAU coach. I am happy to announce my decision to attend University of Minnesota for the next four years!”

Staples is a four-star recruit and the 64th-ranked player in the Class of 2018, according to ESPN, and is described as an athletic player with a scorer’s mentality. She averaged 22.4 points, 3.8 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 2.8 steals during her recently completed senior season at Viewmont High School.

She was named Class 5A first-team all-state by the Salt Lake Tribune and on the All-USA Utah team by USA Today.

“Mercedes is someone that has a lot of different skills and brings a lot to the team,” Whalen said in a release. “She can pass it with the best of them, can see the floor, can shoot and can score it. She’s got great size and length so we’re really excited about her joining our Gopher family.”

Post #: 440
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 5/11/2018 3:59:26 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Sounds like Whalen just rounded out the incoming class with a big signing. Top 100, 4 star PG.

Less than a week after nabbing local recruit Sara Scalia of Stillwater High School, new Gophers women’s basketball coach Lindsay Whalen has landed her first out-of-state recruit.

Mercedes Staples of Viewmont High School in Bountiful, Utah, announced via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon that she has committed to the Gophers. The 5-foot-10 guard originally signed with Clemson, but requested a release after the school fired coach Audra Smith.

“I never thought I’d have to go through this process again,” Staples wrote on Twitter. “I couldn’t have done it without the help of my family and AAU coach. I am happy to announce my decision to attend University of Minnesota for the next four years!”

Staples is a four-star recruit and the 64th-ranked player in the Class of 2018, according to ESPN, and is described as an athletic player with a scorer’s mentality. She averaged 22.4 points, 3.8 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 2.8 steals during her recently completed senior season at Viewmont High School.

She was named Class 5A first-team all-state by the Salt Lake Tribune and on the All-USA Utah team by USA Today.

“Mercedes is someone that has a lot of different skills and brings a lot to the team,” Whalen said in a release. “She can pass it with the best of them, can see the floor, can shoot and can score it. She’s got great size and length so we’re really excited about her joining our Gopher family.”

Nice Signing.

Post #: 441
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 5/17/2018 11:22:10 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Nice Signing.

4 Stars are excellent. If we are ever going to win it all we will need a 5 star. Go Lady Gophers.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 442
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/6/2018 3:37:53 PM   
David Levine

This is terrific:

Minnesota coach Lindsay Whalen is back where she always wanted to be

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25189753/minnesota-golden-gophers-coach-lindsay-whalen-back-where-always-wanted-be
Post #: 443
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/7/2018 7:33:17 AM   
SoMnFan

She is just awesome.
That's all I got.
She's awesome.
Post #: 444
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/7/2018 8:55:11 AM   
TJSweens

Meawhile CBS sports projects Little Richie to be the first coach fired this year.

Post #: 445
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/7/2018 9:32:36 AM   
SoMnFan

Let Lindsay run them, too.

Hell, I'd let her run the Twolves.
Post #: 446
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/7/2018 10:09:19 AM   
TJSweens

I like Geno Auriemma's description of Lindsay. He described her as being one of those players that has that aw shucks mid western demeanor that rips your throat out.

Post #: 447
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/7/2018 1:05:24 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I like Geno Auriemma's description of Lindsay. He described her as being one of those players that has that aw shucks mid western demeanor that rips your throat out.

+1

The awe shucks we are doing it confidence....very different from Brewster and even Fleck. I like that she went back to man-to-man defense.....something about the crappy loose zone last year zone where we think we can outscore every opponent....just didn't fit.

The most amazing thing about Whalen is that she isn't a public speaker type....she is all results orientated. She will just beat you and no need to talk about it.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 11/7/2018 1:06:42 PM >

Post #: 448
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/8/2018 2:24:25 PM   
twinsfan

As a graduate of the University of Minnesota, I was given special access to this Q&A session with Lindsay Whalen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=j0VOhbXtwlk

Since leading the Golden Gopher women’s basketball team to the Final Four in 2004, Lindsay Whalen has won four WNBA championships with the Minnesota Lynx, earned two Olympic gold medals with Team USA, and competed for teams in Russia, the Czech Republic, and Turkey during the off-season. As she ends her professional playing career, Whalen takes the reins of the Gophers as head coach, returning to a program she almost single-handedly resurrected with her intensity, magician-like passing, and infectious love of the game.

What drives you as a player, coach, and winner?

The people you’re with, the people you’re around. I want to do well for the state of Minnesota. I’m from Hutchinson, I have a lot of pride in where I’m from, and it’s driven me my whole career, my whole life. I want to do well for the people I grew up with, for sure.

The U recently built Athletes Village, which was funded in part with private gifts. As a coach, how important is philanthropic support?

It shows that people take pride in the University. Many of them are proud alumni, so it’s a cool way for them to give back and make sure our student-athletes are having the best possible chance to be successful on and off the court. I’m really grateful for all those generous donations.

How does it feel to be returning to the U and Williams Arena?

Oh, I can’t wait to get there. It just has that unbelievable feeling, and I want our kids to have that same feeling and that same sense of pride playing in front of a sold-out Williams Arena. Of course you want to win, but at the end of the day when you think of college, it’s about growing as a person and creating memories that last a lifetime. Playing at sold-out Williams is definitely a memory that will last a lifetime.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 449
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/8/2018 2:28:11 PM   
SoMnFan

I better go back and finish my degree so I can access youtube, also.
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode