Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 2:52:23 PM   
twinsfan

JimPete has been named Assistant Coach.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 401
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 3:00:51 PM   
Pete M.

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

JimPete has been named Assistant Coach.

Okay, now you're just trolling us.
Post #: 402
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 3:02:08 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

LINDSAY WHALEN TAKES OVER WOMEN'S BASKETBALL

MINNEAPOLIS -- Mark Coyle announced Thursday that Lindsay Whalen, one of the most decorated players in women's basketball history, will return to the University of Minnesota as the new head women's basketball coach at her alma mater.

"People talk about the `it' factor, and that is always difficult to define, but everyone who has ever spent time around Lindsay Whalen knows she has it," said Coyle. "She has excelled at everything she has ever done in her life because she's unflappable, determined and has a legendary work ethic. She's played for some of the top coaches in the world, she's competed at the highest levels the sport has to offer, and I know she will be a great head coach for our women's basketball program."

"I have so many special memories at the University of Minnesota. I can't tell you how excited I am to have the opportunity to make more," said Whalen. "Becoming the head coach here at the U and being a Gopher again is a dream come true. At every level, basketball has given me so much. I've learned from so many great players, coaches and mentors, and now I have a chance to share that knowledge and help shape the new generation of Gopher stars. I'm ready to get started."

As part of Whalen's agreement to become head coach, which is pending approval from the University's Board of Regents, she will play continue to play for the Minnesota Lynx. Previously, Whalen announced in February that she was retiring from international competition. She had played for the U.S. National team since 2002, joining Team USA following her sophomore season with the Gophers.

Whalen returns to those same Gophers after destroying the program's record book in the early 2000s, finishing her career as Minnesota's all-time points leader, along with being second all-time in assists and third all-time in steals. A four-time all-state selection at Hutchinson High School, about an hour west of Minneapolis, Whalen went on to become the catalyst for the most successful seasons in the history of Gopher women's basketball.

She was the first three-time All-American in program history, a three-time All-Big Ten selection and a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree. After a Sweet Sixteen appearance her junior season (2002-03), Whalen led the Gophers to their only Final Four in program history in 2004. Her jersey, No. 13, hangs in the rafters of Williams Arena.

Whalen went on to collect numerous honors and championships in the WNBA and with the U.S. National team. After playing five seasons with the Connecticut Sun, Whalen returned to her home state with the Minnesota Lynx and has since won four WNBA championships (2011, 2013, 2015, 2017). Whalen has been named All-WNBA five times and is currently third in WNBA history in assists, to go along with being in the top-20 in career points and steals. Last year, she became the winningest player in WNBA history, having now been a part of more than 300 wins in the league. She also played professionally in Turkey, Russia and the Czech Republic.

In international competition, Whalen was a key piece to dominant performances by Team USA in world championship and Olympic competition. Whalen played for two gold medal teams at the World Championships (2010, 2014) and has also won two Olympic gold medals (2012, 2016).

WOOOOT

Escape while you can!
Post #: 403
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 3:02:34 PM   
Pete M.

Let me put my flag in the ground and say, "A+ hire." Yeah, she might flame out. But this will dramatically change the way Minn WBB is viewed locally and nationally. And if Lindsay can reel in Paige Bueckers...
Post #: 404
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 3:10:22 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

Let me put my flag in the ground and say, "A+ hire." Yeah, she might flame out. But this will dramatically change the way Minn WBB is viewed locally and nationally. And if Lindsay can reel in Paige Bueckers...

Agree 100%. The girls basketball players in this state since 2004 have grown up idolizing Whalen. She isn't just the local favorite, she's one of the most decorated women's players of all time. Pair that hero worship with that brand new athletic training facility and I predict that a lot these local players who continuously go out of state will stay home to play for their hero.

What ever else you might want to say about Coyle, the man identifies who he wants and then goes out and gets them with no muss, no fuss. GREAT HIRE! Well done Mr. Coyle.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 405
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 3:14:44 PM   
Pete M.

Check out the reaction of Minnesota current and former players. Awesome.

https://twitter.com/rachelbanham_1

https://twitter.com/desip33/status/984520870394826753

https://twitter.com/hazeleyed_h00pa?lang=en
Post #: 406
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 3:31:05 PM   
Phil Riewer

Happened so fast wonder if Coyle was after Lindsey before Stollings left?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 407
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 4:05:24 PM   
David Levine

HOLY COW!

Its a gamble from a pure coaching standpoint, but what an amazing PR/Marketing move.

Did not think it would happen, but that's super exciting.
Post #: 408
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 4:15:43 PM   
Pete M.

How awesome is this:

https://twitter.com/chipscoggins/status/984538602053959681
Post #: 409
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 4:22:52 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

She hasn't said anything about wanting to a broadcaster. She was invited to sit in on a few Wolves games and that's about the extent of it.
The real question is if she would be willing to walk away from her playing career. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers accommodated her playing one last season this summer and taking over after the Lynx are done. Much like they did with Hugh McCutchen.

I would be really worried if I was the Lynx....she makes about 80-100k to play and could make 5-10x that coaching at the university she starred at.....not many get to do that.

Pretty sure if she has the chops to do it in Coyle's eyes, the job is hers. Just imagine the marketing having her as coach would do....

The contract is for her to be both Coach for the Gophers and Player for the Lynx.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 410
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 4:23:39 PM   
David Levine

It was the best PR move they could make.

It remains to be seen if its even a good basketball move...

She better have a very experienced staff. She has no coaching experience, no recruiting experience, and her focus is going to be split for at least her first season.
Post #: 411
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 4:26:05 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine
It was the best PR move they could make.
It remains to be seen if its even a good basketball move...
She better have a very experienced staff. She has no coaching experience, no recruiting experience, and her focus is going to be split for at least her first season.

Another of many things is she can still show the guards/wings on the court literally what to do plus they have a lot of talent left from last year. Lot easier to coach when she can still play.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/12/2018 4:28:21 PM >

Post #: 412
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 8:42:42 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

How awesome is this:

https://twitter.com/chipscoggins/status/984538602053959681

I hope to see that. Fantastic.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 413
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/12/2018 8:44:29 PM   
Mr. Ed

And the lynx drafted just done gopher Wagner

Love the Banham tweet "crapping her pants" and wanting to be an assistant.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 414
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/13/2018 8:54:54 AM   
TJSweens

This is from Chip Scoggins"

Hopkins sophomore guard Paige Bueckers is one of the top players in the country. She is being recruited by every major program, including UConn. Bueckers has a signed Whalen jersey hanging in her room and a pair of Whalen’s game-used shoes that Whalen gave her a few years ago.

The Gophers had zero chance of signing Bueckers before Whalen’s announcement. Bueckers’ father, Bob, was asked if his daughter will look at the Gophers differently now.

“Absolutely,” he said.

This is why I see this as way more than a savvy PR move. A PR move makes a fan base happy and sells tickets for a short term. This move sent a shock wave through the pool of potential recruits. One key will be for Whalen to add an assistant with recruiting ties outside of Minnesota. Lindsay doesn't need much help with players in the state. I think she has had an eye to ultimately coaching and especially the Gophers job for a while now. She has learned from some of the best coaches in the women's game. Mark Coyle supposedly consulted Geno Auriemma before making the decision and got an enthusiastic recommendation. She's green as hell, but I think she knows what she is getting into and what she has to do. And if history has shown one thing to absolutely about Whalen ... she wins.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 415
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/13/2018 1:30:20 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

This is from Chip Scoggins"

Hopkins sophomore guard Paige Bueckers is one of the top players in the country. She is being recruited by every major program, including UConn. Bueckers has a signed Whalen jersey hanging in her room and a pair of Whalen’s game-used shoes that Whalen gave her a few years ago.

The Gophers had zero chance of signing Bueckers before Whalen’s announcement. Bueckers’ father, Bob, was asked if his daughter will look at the Gophers differently now.

“Absolutely,” he said.

This is why I see this as way more than a savvy PR move. A PR move makes a fan base happy and sells tickets for a short term. This move sent a shock wave through the pool of potential recruits. One key will be for Whalen to add an assistant with recruiting ties outside of Minnesota. Lindsay doesn't need much help with players in the state. I think she has had an eye to ultimately coaching and especially the Gophers job for a while now. She has learned from some of the best coaches in the women's game. Mark Coyle supposedly consulted Geno Auriemma before making the decision and got an enthusiastic recommendation. She's green as hell, but I think she knows what she is getting into and what she has to do. And if history has shown one thing to absolutely about Whalen ... she wins.

Whalen and McCarville were a tremendous tandem in the Gophers final four season. McCarville was the #1 pick in the WNBA draft IIRC. McCarville reminded me of Oliver Miller. Tremendously skilled big who struggled with conditioning. Anyway I'm excited about Whalen taking over the Gophers program.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 416
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/13/2018 9:14:42 PM   
bstinger

Coyle botched her name when he introduced her at the news conference.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 417
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/14/2018 4:53:30 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Pretty much agree with what many others have already said.

On one hand, we really have zero clue about how good of a coach she'll be. It always bugs me a little when a position at such a high level is given to a person with no experience. It's a hire purely on hopes and dreams and guesses.

Having said that... It's a good hire anyway. Just from the standpoint of PR and recruiting. It has dramatically raised awareness of the program.

At least she's had the the tutelage of one the best coaches anywhere, Cheryl Reeve. Just follow her template.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 4/14/2018 4:59:17 AM >
Post #: 418
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/15/2018 10:55:15 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Pretty much agree with what many others have already said.

On one hand, we really have zero clue about how good of a coach she'll be. It always bugs me a little when a position at such a high level is given to a person with no experience. It's a hire purely on hopes and dreams and guesses.

Having said that... It's a good hire anyway. Just from the standpoint of PR and recruiting. It has dramatically raised awareness of the program.

At least she's had the the tutelage of one the best coaches anywhere, Cheryl Reeve. Just follow her template.

Very often it is the role players who make the best coaches rather than the stars as they can relate to the players better. However it may just be a hunch, but I think Lindsay will buck that star player poor coach trend. The excellent thing about Whalen's player/coach situation is that her coaching job is only a mile or two from her playing job. Does Cheryl Reeve live in the Twin Cities in the off season? If so she may attend gopher games. Would it be a good or bad thing for Lindsay to have her around?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/15/2018 10:57:20 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 419
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/15/2018 12:15:30 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

It's a hire purely on hopes and dreams and guesses.

I don't agree with that at all. Coyle consulted both Reeve and Geno Auriemma before hiring Whalen. They both endorsed the idea, with both pointing to Whalen being a coach on the floor. Her star power gets her access to the living room of virtually any recruit. There are certainly questions due to her inexperience, but there questions about a variety coaching possibilities. This hire has quite a bit more behind it than a wing and a prayer.

Post #: 420
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/15/2018 2:44:04 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

I don't agree with that at all. Coyle consulted both Reeve and Geno Auriemma before hiring Whalen. They both endorsed the idea, with both pointing to Whalen being a coach on the floor. Her star power gets her access to the living room of virtually any recruit. There are certainly questions due to her inexperience, but there questions about a variety coaching possibilities. This hire has quite a bit more behind it than a wing and a prayer.

You may be right. I'm not predicting she'll be a bad coach. I'm just saying we don't know. Being sort of a 'coach on the floor' is one thing. Doing the hundreds of things required to be a successful Big 10 coach is another.

I do agree she certainly seems to have the right temperament and aptitude for it.
Post #: 421
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/15/2018 8:07:16 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

You may be right. I'm not predicting she'll be a bad coach. I'm just saying we don't know. Being sort of a 'coach on the floor' is one thing. Doing the hundreds of things required to be a successful Big 10 coach is another.

I do agree she certainly seems to have the right temperament and aptitude for it.

I think Lindsay will be a great offensive minded coach...I hope she can coach defense. MN has had some of the most high end talent and none of our coaches have closed the borders to the best.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/15/2018 8:08:19 PM >

Post #: 422
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/16/2018 2:50:16 PM   
Karl Juhnke

I think a lot of it will come down to who she surrounds herself with. If she gets a seasoned, talented staff, and isn't too intimidated by them to take all their input and use it, and just act as a sort of CEO to keep the thing humming, that would be great.
Post #: 423
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/19/2018 11:25:28 AM   
Mr. Ed

Kelly Roysland hired as an assistant to Whalen

Escape while you can!
Post #: 424
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/19/2018 11:53:15 AM   
TJSweens

Solid hire. She has been the head coach at Macalaster College for the last 4 years. Before that she was on Borton's staff. Roysland has recruiting ties in the state and is supposed to be a good game planner. Hopefully Whalen can add an assistant who will help expand the Gophers recruiting radius outside of Minnesota.

Post #: 425
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode