Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  146 147 [148] 149 150   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2017 5:39:26 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Wisconsin is going to lose. The fan base in attendance are dummies. They're being loud when the Badgers are on offense!

Nothing like the ENTIRE stadium roaring when you're at the LOS calling defenses and audibles.

That's like the Packer games, Vikes fans screaming so the Puke offense can't hear, Puke fans try to drown us out with Go Puke Go.
Post #: 3676
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2017 7:27:21 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Joel Klatt was just on the Colin Cowherd Show talking about the final four. He thinks it's a travesty that Alabama is in.

Klatt said Alabama has only played one game against teams ranked in the final 16, and went 0-1 (sound familiar?). He also said the ACC and SEC both only play eight games against conference schools during the season, whereas the other power 5 conferences play nine (sound familiar?).

Klatt said that, essentially, the committee is telling schools like USC that they play too hard of a schedule. Rather than playing Texas and Notre Dame, they need to schedule Mercer and The Citadel.

He said that Alabama getting in was akin to a sponsorship exemption on the PGA Tour (loved that one).

Who are your 4?

I would have preferred OSU to USC. I like USC, but I don't think their defense is good enough to beat Clemson (they wouldn't have been higher than the 4th seed, so beating Oklahoma or Georgia is irrelevant). I just hate that a team doesn't have to win its division or conference to get into the playoffs.

I would have left out Alabama in a second. That alone would have sparked the real conversation of adding at least two teams into the playoffs, which is what I think it should be anyway - All Power 5 conference champions and 1 wild card team. And the committee can rank them however they want.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 3677
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2017 7:30:17 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Joel Klatt was just on the Colin Cowherd Show talking about the final four. He thinks it's a travesty that Alabama is in.

Klatt said Alabama has only played one game against teams ranked in the final 16, and went 0-1 (sound familiar?). He also said the ACC and SEC both only play eight games against conference schools during the season, whereas the other power 5 conferences play nine (sound familiar?).

Klatt said that, essentially, the committee is telling schools like USC that they play too hard of a schedule. Rather than playing Texas and Notre Dame, they need to schedule Mercer and The Citadel.

He said that Alabama getting in was akin to a sponsorship exemption on the PGA Tour (loved that one).

Who are your 4?

IMO, the programs playing the best football right now are Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and USC. I think either Ohio State or USC did enough to get in the top four by virtue of winning their conference championship games, and either one deserved being awarded the 4-seed over Alabama.

There was some chatter today about USC getting no respect after playing a much tougher schedule.

I guess they need to start scheduling a few Monastery's like Clemson and Alabama to play as well.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3678
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2017 8:20:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

Who are your 4?

I would have preferred OSU to USC. I like USC, but I don't think their defense is good enough to beat Clemson (they wouldn't have been higher than the 4th seed, so beating Oklahoma or Georgia is irrelevant). I just hate that a team doesn't have to win its division or conference to get into the playoffs.

I would have left out Alabama in a second. That alone would have sparked the real conversation of adding at least two teams into the playoffs, which is what I think it should be anyway - All Power 5 conference champions and 1 wild card team. And the committee can rank them however they want.

Give the top 2 teams a bye? I like it and it makes sense. If you have 8 you may have grumblings over the last 2...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3679
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2017 8:32:54 AM   
Ricky J

Leave it at four or the next thing you know we'll be at 64 - or is that 65 ....

Maybe AL doesn't deserve it like many think, but for OSU to think they are owed anything after being torched by Iowa ... come on.

If you want to improve upon it start letting the UCF teams in at 4.
Post #: 3680
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2017 9:44:40 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Maybe AL doesn't deserve it like many think, but for OSU to think they are owed anything after being torched by Iowa ... come on.

That's been my thoughts on this too
You get beat by 50 by Iowa .... you just forfeited your opp.
Yes, it was one game. But, You can't have a loss like that on your resume'.
Post #: 3681
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2017 10:42:04 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

64 team tourney and we still wouldn't get in
Post #: 3682
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2017 10:52:07 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

Bad games happen. It happened to USC earlier in the year against Notre Dame.

Bad games rarely happen when you don't schedule good opponents, like Alabama. They played one good opponent all year and lost. Their benchmark win was a 24-10 win over #16 LSU, who is very mediocre. I'm not sure how a team that lost to Troy can still be #16, but that's another argument.

IMO, the object should be to get the teams playing the best football in the final four.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/5/2017 11:09:23 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 3683
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2017 11:11:32 AM   
Brad H

The real travesty of this is that the Big Ten champion and Pac 12 champion will be playing in the Cotton Bowl. That just isn't right, by any account.

Post #: 3684
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2017 7:53:02 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

The real travesty of this is that the Big Ten champion and Pac 12 champion will be playing in the Cotton Bowl. That just isn't right, by any account.

Sure doesn't sound right.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3685
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2017 8:24:22 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Sure doesn't sound right.

Seems only right that the Pac 12 team should have the home game. What were the schedulers thinking?
Post #: 3686
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/6/2017 12:19:28 PM   
bohumm

USC does not play like a Top 5 program this year; borderline Top 10 due to inconsistency and defense.
Post #: 3687
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/6/2017 7:18:48 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

USC does not play like a Top 5 program this year; borderline Top 10 due to inconsistency and defense.

Like I said, none of them are playing like top-5 teams. Every team in the final four this year would be a 4-5-6 seed in any other year. As I've stated all season, the Trojans are not as good as they have been. However, having said that, I'd take them right now over any of the final four teams on a good day. At the very least they are battle-tested and playing decent football. Alabama is neither battle-tested or playing good football, and I still think they have a shot at beating Clemson.

Post #: 3688
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/6/2017 7:24:56 PM   
Brad H

This would be my final eight tournament:

Sugar Bowl - (1) Clemson vs. (8) Auburn - you know, the team that beat Bama soundly two weeks ago
Cotton Bowl - (2) Oklahoma vs. (7) Wisconsin - offense versus defense
Orange Bowl - (3) Georgia vs. (6) Penn State - see if Georgia can beat a team with a quarterback
Rose Bowl - (4) USC vs. (5) Ohio State - Pac 12/Big Ten, like it should be

If Alabama doesn't want to play heavyweights during the regular season as non-conference games, make them play another mid-major like Central Florida in the Taxslayer Bowl.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/6/2017 7:40:58 PM >

Post #: 3689
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/6/2017 10:05:14 PM   
SoMnFan

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee's circuitous head-coaching search, which has taken on just about every twist imaginable, is nearing an end, as the Vols are trying to finalize a deal with Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt after offering him the job earlier Wednesday, sources told ESPN.

Pruitt, 43, is in his second season as Alabama's defensive coordinator under Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide, headed to the College Football Playoff for the fourth straight year, are ranked first nationally in scoring defense this season and second nationally in total defense.

Pruitt also is regarded as one of the top recruiters in the SEC. As an assistant coach, he has been a part of four national championship teams.
Post #: 3690
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/7/2017 8:23:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee's circuitous head-coaching search, which has taken on just about every twist imaginable, is nearing an end, as the Vols are trying to finalize a deal with Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt after offering him the job earlier Wednesday, sources told ESPN.

Pruitt, 43, is in his second season as Alabama's defensive coordinator under Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide, headed to the College Football Playoff for the fourth straight year, are ranked first nationally in scoring defense this season and second nationally in total defense.

Pruitt also is regarded as one of the top recruiters in the SEC. As an assistant coach, he has been a part of four national championship teams.

Makes a lot more sense than the retreads.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3691
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/7/2017 9:10:08 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

Makes a lot more sense than the retreads.

The problem with Tennessee has is that they (and their fans) have gotten themselves confused with a major football program.

Post #: 3692
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/17/2017 3:18:53 PM   
Dave Odle

My Boise Broncos finished strong. Ranked #25 going into a bowl game against Oregon and we beat them pretty convincingly. I'm hoping we start next season in the top 25 and climb faster than this season.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 3693
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/17/2017 5:33:29 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

My Boise Broncos finished strong. Ranked #25 going into a bowl game against Oregon and we beat them pretty convincingly. I'm hoping we start next season in the top 25 and climb faster than this season.

Hard to figure Oregon out. The continual coaching changes can't help.

Post #: 3694
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/29/2017 11:08:52 PM   
Steve Lentz

Nothing but total respect for Sam Darnold as a QB and as a man. He will be a very good NFL player.
He didn't take care of the ball tonight and just doesn't see a defense that plays like Ohio State.
Pac 12 really struggling.

Post #: 3695
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/29/2017 11:23:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Nothing but total respect for Sam Darnold as a QB and as a man. He will be a very good NFL player.
He didn't take care of the ball tonight and just doesn't see a defense that plays like Ohio State.
Pac 12 really struggling.

USC battled the best they could but pretty much over matched physically.
Post #: 3696
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/29/2017 11:37:23 PM   
bgdavis

Unlike many years, the Big Ten is racking up bowl wins this year. Iowa, Purdue, Mich St, Northwestern and Ohio St have won each of their games. Penn St. Wisc and Mich still to play.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 3697
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/30/2017 6:34:56 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

Unlike many years, the Big Ten is racking up bowl wins this year. Iowa, Purdue, Mich St, Northwestern and Ohio St have won each of their games. Penn St. Wisc and Mich still to play.

They've been very impressive to date. I've felt all year that the Big 10 was pretty good at the top.

Post #: 3698
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/30/2017 9:38:51 AM   
thebigo

Wow, Pac 12 with 9 bowl teams. USC was at a disadvantage because they didn't have home field advantage.
Post #: 3699
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/30/2017 10:21:20 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who are your 4?

IMO, the programs playing the best football right now are Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and USC. I think either Ohio State or USC did enough to get in the top four by virtue of winning their conference championship games, and either one deserved being awarded the 4-seed over Alabama.

There was some chatter today about USC getting no respect after playing a much tougher schedule.

I guess they need to start scheduling a few Monastery's like Clemson and Alabama to play as well.

Their case did not get any help with yesterday's game where they were clearly out-muscled by Ohio State. I see that the Big Ten is now 4-0 in bowl games and I'm thinking that our conference may not have had the best team in the nation, but as a conference it clearly was one of the strongest conferences overall.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3700
Page:   <<   < prev  146 147 [148] 149 150   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  146 147 [148] 149 150   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode