Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2014 4:20:27 PM   
Bruce Johnson

These bowl games are a unique opportunity for the coaching staff to do some special things with their preparation, since they have about a month to do so. I imagine that the "coaching advantage" is magnified for these contests.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 1/3/2014 4:24:03 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1101
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2014 4:21:22 PM   
Zoilo

Bowl games don't mean everything, but it is good to see a QB who can come through with a big game on a big stage.

Z
Post #: 1102
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2014 4:34:22 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Looking at the surprisingly underwhelming performances by the SEC conference teams, (including LSU struggling to beat Iowa, and losses by Georgia and Alabama) I imagine that the bettors in Las Vegas are getting reason to have more confidence with the chances of Florida State in their game vs Auburn.

I looked at one site and they listed Florida State as 8.5 point favorites.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 1/3/2014 4:36:26 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1103
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2014 5:03:11 PM   
John Childress

I never bought into the SEC hype

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 1104
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2014 7:25:48 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Looking at the surprisingly underwhelming performances by the SEC conference teams, (including LSU struggling to beat Iowa, and losses by Georgia and Alabama) I imagine that the bettors in Las Vegas are getting reason to have more confidence with the chances of Florida State in their game vs Auburn.

I looked at one site and they listed Florida State as 8.5 point favorites.

Bruce, hope you can drink Corona and eat nachos while watching football. This should be a main staple in your recovery

I was listeneing to a guest on ESPN radio today whom seemed very knowledgable and wasn't spewing out the normal cliches. He raved about FSU defense especially their D-line. When asked if he thought Auburn could run against them he said absolutely. Auburn has the best running game and an awesome read option communication between Mason and the qb that most tv camera men dont know who has the ball

Should be a good game. Get well

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1105
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2014 10:31:41 PM   
SoMnFan

Watkins = Beast

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1106
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2014 10:36:22 PM   
marty

Some posters were mentioning on another thread that WR wasn't much a need area. It is VERY much an area of need.

Simpson might be gone, and it would be nice to have a WR that can pair up in his prime with Patterson. It's quite possible Jennings is gone in 2 years. The Vikes need a WR that can learn from Jennings, and from the reports we hear, from Jarius Wright.

The Vikes need a good WR corps to match the Packers with Nelson/Jones/Cobb, the Bears with Marshall/Jeffries, and the Lions with CJ/???? What if the LIONS get Watkins ?

If Manziel and Bridgewater are gone, getting the best WR in the draft would be a VERY smart move.
Post #: 1107
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2014 11:31:27 PM   
SoMnFan

Charlie Strong is the new coach at Texas.
According to a report by Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com and Bobby Burton at 247sports.com, Strong, the head coach at Louisville, will replace Mack Brown as the Longhorns head man.
Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel reported Strong's contract is five years worth $5 million per year.
Strong, who reportedly interviewed with Longhorns athletic director Steve Patterson on Tuesday, was one of the final candidates remaining in the not-so-secret coaching search after candidates Jim Mora and Art Briles withdrew their names.
Strong has spent four seasons as the head coach of Louisville and compiled a 20-9 record.
Strong was a hot name in coaching searches last year after the Cardinals finished 11-2 with a win in the Sugar Bowl. His quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater, is strongly considered one of the top picks in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1108
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 9:36:37 AM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Some posters were mentioning on another thread that WR wasn't much a need area. It is VERY much an area of need.

Simpson might be gone, and it would be nice to have a WR that can pair up in his prime with Patterson. It's quite possible Jennings is gone in 2 years. The Vikes need a WR that can learn from Jennings, and from the reports we hear, from Jarius Wright.

The Vikes need a good WR corps to match the Packers with Nelson/Jones/Cobb, the Bears with Marshall/Jeffries, and the Lions with CJ/???? What if the LIONS get Watkins ?

If Manziel and Bridgewater are gone, getting the best WR in the draft would be a VERY smart move.

There is no way you can spin WR into being a position to draft at #8

IF the top QBs are gone we need help on every line of our defense

Get a stud

Post #: 1109
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 8:04:59 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Charlie Strong is the new coach at Texas.
According to a report by Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com and Bobby Burton at 247sports.com, Strong, the head coach at Louisville, will replace Mack Brown as the Longhorns head man.
Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel reported Strong's contract is five years worth $5 million per year.
Strong, who reportedly interviewed with Longhorns athletic director Steve Patterson on Tuesday, was one of the final candidates remaining in the not-so-secret coaching search after candidates Jim Mora and Art Briles withdrew their names.
Strong has spent four seasons as the head coach of Louisville and compiled a 20-9 record.
Strong was a hot name in coaching searches last year after the Cardinals finished 11-2 with a win in the Sugar Bowl. His quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater, is strongly considered one of the top picks in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Louisville only played 7.25 games/yr for the 4 seasons Strong was head coach there?
Post #: 1110
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 8:17:19 PM   
marty

What would be wrong with getting a stud WR at 8 ?

You would have a really nice trio for a few years (Patterson, Jennings, Watson), and it would probably give you the option of cutting Jennings in 2 years, if you wanted to go youth at that position.

You can get good defenders using the rest of your draft on defense (remember the Vikes also have an extra 3rd rounder).

Assuming the Vikes don't win the SB next year, for the 2015 draft, they might well have another high pick they can use on the DL, or QB.

Maybe in 2015, the Vikes are drafting 8th once again. In 2014, the BPA is WR, so they take Watkins. In 2015, they get lucky and the BPA is a DL, or maybe a QB, not a WR.
Post #: 1111
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 9:42:17 PM   
Ricky J

here we go
Post #: 1112
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 9:47:07 PM   
SoMnFan

you see this comin too, eh Rickey? 

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1113
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 9:51:38 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

What would be wrong with getting a stud WR at 8 ?

You would have a really nice trio for a few years (Patterson, Jennings, Watson), and it would probably give you the option of cutting Jennings in 2 years, if you wanted to go youth at that position.

You can get good defenders using the rest of your draft on defense (remember the Vikes also have an extra 3rd rounder).

Assuming the Vikes don't win the SB next year, for the 2015 draft, they might well have another high pick they can use on the DL, or QB.

Maybe in 2015, the Vikes are drafting 8th once again. In 2014, the BPA is WR, so they take Watkins. In 2015, they get lucky and the BPA is a DL, or maybe a QB, not a WR.

There is nothing wrong with getting a stud WR at #8 when you have a long term answer at quarterback or a stout defense with minimal holes.

We have neither.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1114
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 10:11:24 PM   
69in09

Get the BPA at #8

Fill needs later. Missing only exacerbates the problem.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 1115
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 11:08:59 PM   
marty

The Vikes don't need to wait to get a stud QB before getting a stud WR, just like they didn't need to get a stud QB before they got Patterson.

As 69 said, get the BPA.

If the BPA this year is WR Watkins, then get him (I gave the reasons why in my previous post). You can get the stud QB as BPA in the 1st round of the 2015 draft, or maybe you luck out in a later round in 2014. If Watkins is the BPA at #8, take him.
Post #: 1116
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 11:23:31 PM   
69in09

quote:

The Vikes don't need to wait to get a stud QB before getting a stud WR, just like they didn't need to get a stud QB before they got Patterson.

As 69 said, get the BPA.

If the BPA this year is WR Watkins, then get him (I gave the reasons why in my previous post). You can get the stud QB as BPA in the 1st round of the 2015 draft, or maybe you luck out in a later round in 2014. If Watkins is the BPA at #8, take him.

Marty, Watkins isn't the BPA. You just fell in love with him after one game (and your undying love of WR).

He might be the BPA at #8, but there are surer studs in front of him.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 1117
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2014 11:29:21 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

As 69 said, get the BPA.

Marty, Watkins isn't the BPA. You just fell in love with him after one game (and your undying love of WR).

I've been a Clemson follower for a minute. I also think that Morris is cutting edge, innovative as an OC. He's also heavily involved in recruiting for Dabo.
I thought Watkins was the best freshman WR I have seen since AJ Green's freshman year.
Having said all that, I have seen Watkins slow down since his freshman year. He's had some injuries, and sure looks like he hurt his knee again last night. I do like that he added some muscle, but I'm a little concerned about his durability. Very interested in his 40 time too.
Two years ago he may have been the fastest player in the country. This year, he's the third fastest player on his team.
Post #: 1118
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/5/2014 7:59:53 AM   
John Childress

There is no way the Vikings can afford to go BPA

If BPA is a WR or TE you clearly have to either trade down or go to the next BPA

This isn't 98 when we already had 2 good QBs, RB, OL, and a halfway decent defense.

Post #: 1119
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/5/2014 1:26:01 PM   
marty

I've never seen Watkins play, was just going by the comments here and on ESPN.

I just disagree on JC with regards to taking BPA. To me the position doesn't really matter, go BPA. Unless the Vikes had 3 Pattersons already, I think it's fine to go WR, if it's BPA. Jennings is getting up there in age, and it would be nice to have a stud WR to pair with Patterson for many years.

You don't need to fill the positions in any certain order, you get the studs and fill the other postions in the other rounds of the draft, FA, or in future drafts.
Post #: 1120
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/6/2014 7:13:36 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Along with running backs and tight ends, I believe it's possible to say that the wide receiver position is a strength of the Vikings team. Look anywhere else and I believe you will find holes. Offensive guard is a need, in my own mind, as well. The linebackers are a mess. We probably are losing two veteran defensive lineman in Wiliams and Allen. I might consider franchising Allen, though. Cook is not the answer at corner. We desperately need a great corner. That would do so much for our defense. And then there's the quarterback. Too many needs. That's got to be discouraging to any new head coaching prospect.

Post #: 1121
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/6/2014 7:22:00 AM   
John Childress

Adding another WR is worthless without a QB

That is exactly why you can't go BPA

Post #: 1122
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/6/2014 7:34:09 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Remember, we gave up a second, third, fourth, and a seventh for Patterson. In hind sight, it wasn't so bad of an idea. Nevertheless, it has contributed to our problems of depth at other needs going forward.

Post #: 1123
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/6/2014 7:50:38 AM   
John Childress

Patterson definitely was worth it.

The only one of the big 3 that we are still waiting on to shine is Floyd. I am betting he makes a big jump forward as

1. He gets stronger in the offseason
2. We get a better NT to line up next to him

Last year's draft was a decent one. Most years our free agent signings are where we really are bad - very few impact players.

On top of that, we had some bad drafts in the past that really hurt us.

1 1 12 12 Christian Ponder QB Florida State
2 2 11 43 Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame
3 4 9 106 Christian Ballard DT Iowa
4 5 8 139 Brandon Burton DB Utah
5 6 3 168 Demarcus Love G Arkansas
6 6 5 170 Mistral Raymond DB South Florida
7 6 7 172 Brandon Fusco C Slippery Rock
8 6 35 200 Ross Homan LB Ohio State
9 7 12 215 D'Aundre Reed DE Arizona
10 7 33 236 Stephen Burton WR West Texas A&M

1 2 2 34 Chris Cook DB Virginia
2 2 19 51 Toby Gerhart RB Stanford
3 4 2 100 Everson Griffin DE USC
4 5 30 161 Chris DeGeare G Wake Forest
5 5 36 167 Nathan Triplett LB Minnesota
6 6 30 199 Joe Webb QB Alabama-Birmingham
7 7 7 214 Mickey Shuler TE Penn State
8 7 30 237 Ryan D'Imperio LB Rutgers

Post #: 1124
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/6/2014 8:00:29 AM   
Bruce Johnson

You are correct. Our biggest needs are at quarterback and corner and it's because of our misses on Ponder and Cook.

Post #: 1125
Page:   <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode