Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  196 197 [198] 199 200   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 9:56:11 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

In what seemed like a match made of expendable players, the Los Angeles Dodgers and Atlanta Braves were reportedly near a swap Tuesday morning that would have sent Juan Uribe to the ATL and Alberto Callaspo back to L.A.

Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal was first with the news, saying that Uribe-for-Callaspo was the headline, but six players were expected to change teams in the deal. Ah yes, some good ol' hot stove-type dealing in May. But then, as quickly as the rumors warmed our baseball-less morning, they were squashed.

Callaspo blocked the trade, according to Rosenthal, seemingly happier to stay with the .500 Braves or test free agency again should he get designated for assignment, as many expect, and hit the open market:

How we're at the point that a player like Callaspo has a no-trade clause, I have no idea.

He doesn't have a no trade clause. They signed him as a free agent so they can't trade him before June 15th without his permission.

Oh, I didn't know that rule.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4926
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 2:01:28 PM   
Aaron Cross

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aaron Cross

Could have sworn I saw a division format discussion but now I can't find it. My two cents:

1. Eliminate interleague
2. Balance the schedule
3. Eliminate divisions
4. Top 4 teams in each league make the playoffs

-I know having an unequal number of teams in each league (16&14) presents problems if interleague is eliminated. I don't care. Figure out
the best possible solution even if it's imperfect.
-As a kid it was pretty damn cool that the only time the leagues faced each other was the World Series. It added a certain level of mystique. Interleague play ruined that. Thanks MLB.
-Balancing the schedule makes things fair. Every team plays the same teams the same amount of times. And eliminating divisions makes sure the best teams always makes the playoffs. How many times over the years has a mediocre team won a bad division (I won't mention any names) and made the playoffs while better teams in better divisions with better records against a harder schedule stayed home?
-

Actually the problem is there are now 15 and 15 in each league with Houston's move to the AL. With the current setup you need to have interleague.

My bad. I'm just tickled somebody actually read my post. I knew there was
something with the current format that made balancing the schedule impossible without interleague. Just didn't have my facts straight.

Cannot take the unbalanced schedule anymore. I hate it more than interleague. Nineteen games against divisional teams is insane. I can't remember exactly what year they changed it, early 90's, but the old format was so much better. Two divisions in each league. I believe four series per season against EVERY AL team. Two teams from each league made the playoffs. The playoffs weren't watered down. The leagues stayed SEPARATE until the World Series. Congratulations to Bud Selig for killing every tradition in baseball he could think of. Glad he was able to make the owners a few extra dollars.
Post #: 4927
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 4:48:49 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Could have sworn I saw a division format discussion but now I can't find it. My two cents:

1. Eliminate interleague
2. Balance the schedule
3. Eliminate divisions
4. Top 4 teams in each league make the playoffs

-I know having an unequal number of teams in each league (16&14) presents problems if interleague is eliminated. I don't care. Figure out
the best possible solution even if it's imperfect.
-As a kid it was pretty damn cool that the only time the leagues faced each other was the World Series. It added a certain level of mystique. Interleague play ruined that. Thanks MLB.
-Balancing the schedule makes things fair. Every team plays the same teams the same amount of times. And eliminating divisions makes sure the best teams always makes the playoffs. How many times over the years has a mediocre team won a bad division (I won't mention any names) and made the playoffs while better teams in better divisions with better records against a harder schedule stayed home?
-

Actually the problem is there are now 15 and 15 in each league with Houston's move to the AL. With the current setup you need to have interleague.

My bad. I'm just tickled somebody actually read my post. I knew there was
something with the current format that made balancing the schedule impossible without interleague. Just didn't have my facts straight.

Cannot take the unbalanced schedule anymore. I hate it more than interleague. Nineteen games against divisional teams is insane. I can't remember exactly what year they changed it, early 90's, but the old format was so much better. Two divisions in each league. I believe four series per season against EVERY AL team. Two teams from each league made the playoffs. The playoffs weren't watered down. The leagues stayed SEPARATE until the World Series. Congratulations to Bud Selig for killing every tradition in baseball he could think of. Glad he was able to make the owners a few extra dollars.

Sorry Aaron, wasn't ignoring you.
Was a very good post on your point of view.
I've always made it clear that I enjoy inter-league play. Me and four other guys in America.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4928
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 5:38:02 PM   
SoMnFan

White Sux took Game One from the O's today, O's looking to split the DH, up 4-3 in the 6th of Game Two.
Detroit plays later on the west coast vs the Angels.

First night without a professional playoff game in a longgggggggg time.
My TV remote just sent a note, thanking me for the night off.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4929
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 6:57:25 PM   
SoMnFan

White Sox drop Game Two.
These were make-ups from the Baltimore riot postponements.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4930
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 8:32:08 PM   
SoMnFan

It has been two weeks since the Miami Marlins shocked the baseball world by firing their manager and replacing him with their current general manager, Dan Jennings. So far, it has been the disaster that other managers may have secretly been rooting for.

The move was shocking because unlike other sports, there is typically a very clear line between the manager and the front office in Major League Baseball. Rarely does one person try to be both the coach and the person in charge of player personnel.

The last team to attempt the move was the Atlanta Braves in 1990 with Bobby Cox who had previous managerial experience. Jennings' previous coaching experience came 30 years ago with a high school team.

Through 10 games, the Marlins are just 2-8 under Jennings and have fallen from 6.0 games back in the National League East to 10.5 games back through Wednesday's games.

During that time, Jennings has demoted one of his coaches, a rare in-season move, and according to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, players are growing frustrated.

But more importantly for the sport of baseball, Jennings' performance has become a referendum on the managerial position in general, and a lot of people are watching very closely.

There is an old theory that of the head coaches in the four major sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL), the baseball manager that is the least important and that only a select few can actually have a positive impact on a team. This is a theory that has gained more steam in recent years with the use of advanced metrics, where many decisions can be mapped out ahead of time based on simple probability of what the most likely outcome will be.

Buster Olney of ESPN explained the thinking in a recent column:

"For [team executives], there is a recognition that [Bruce] Bochy has distinguished himself in his work with the Giants, as had Buck Showalter and Terry Francona. But there is also the belief that the majority of managers are like mediocre starting pitchers — you can always find somebody to do that job, to implement the strategy generated and laid out by front offices that are increasingly filled with really smart people who understand the chances and odds built into each decision better than the manager. A lot of folks in the front offices just hope that the guy in the manager’s chair doesn’t screw up — by doing something stupid and ad-libbing off the script honed by the staff above them, by failing to be direct in presenting a decision, in saying something really dumb on camera or into a microphone. As written here early last year, a lot of folks in front offices look at the manager perhaps in the same way that Barack Obama views his press secretary: Stay on message, please."

By moving Jennings from the front office to the dugout, the Marlins, intentionally or not, are testing this theory. According to Olney, other managers are "appalled and believe it to be an insult to the profession."

One coach told Olney that Jennings would be terrible.

"He won’t know how to react," the coach said. "I kind of feel bad for him."

Other managers have been openly critical of Jennings' in-game decisions, something unheard of among MLB managers. Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald chronicled a couple of examples.
•After one recent game, Arizona Diamondbacks manager Chip Hale, who had previously called the hiring of Jennings "frustrating," pointed out that his team beat the Marlins in large part because Jennings did not have a right-handed reliever ready when Hale brought in a pinch-hitter who eventually hit a game-deciding two-run home run.
•After a loss to the Marlins, Orioles manager Buck Showalter was critical of Jennings for overusing his bullpen, saying, "They used what, three guys three days in a row out of the bullpen to get it done? We’ll see how that works down the road."

Meanwhile, the players have been put in a tough position. Under the traditional system, there is a buffer between the players and the one person who typically has the most say in how much they make and whether or not they keep their job. The Marlins players are now in a spot where there may be added tension and pressure that players on other teams don't face.

It has only been two weeks and there is still plenty of time for Jennings to settle into this job and right the ship. But so far it is playing out exactly as many feared and some hoped.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4931
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 9:38:11 PM   
Mr. Ed

Sorry, Matt

News on Coco Crisp, however, isn’t as encouraging for the Athletics, writes Joe Stiglich of CSN Bay Area. Doctors have recommended that Crisp receive an epidural injection to attempt to alleviate the chronic pain in his neck. The center fielder will be shut down from baseball activities for the next month or so, according to manager Bob Melvin. That, as Stiglich notes, would mean that Crisp would likely be out past the All-Star break, as he wouldn’t resume baseball activities until late June or early July.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4932
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 9:39:02 PM   
Mr. Ed

Dang, I missed a Werth sighting today.

Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth will be sidelined through at least August after a CT scan performed at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. today revealed a pair of small fractures in his left wrist, reports MLB.com’s Bill Ladson. Werth “could return as early as August,” if his rehab goes according to plan, writes Ladson, though that suggests that August is somewhat of a best-case scenario. The injury appears to have been sustained when he was hit by a pitch on May 15.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4933
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 9:40:41 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Sorry, Matt

News on Coco Crisp, however, isn’t as encouraging for the Athletics, writes Joe Stiglich of CSN Bay Area. Doctors have recommended that Crisp receive an epidural injection to attempt to alleviate the chronic pain in his neck. The center fielder will be shut down from baseball activities for the next month or so, according to manager Bob Melvin. That, as Stiglich notes, would mean that Crisp would likely be out past the All-Star break, as he wouldn’t resume baseball activities until late June or early July.

tick ...... tick ................. tick

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4934
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 9:44:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

Nats could be a trade partner again for MN, since they could use an OF.

Arcia for some has-been middle reliever.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4935
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 9:46:19 PM   
SoMnFan

Delightful debut for Eduardo Rodriguez

The 22-year-old Red Sox pitcher went 7.2 innings and gave up only three hits and two walks in his first big league start. Rodriguez leaves two Rangers on base but could get the win. The Red Sox lead 5-0.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4936
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 9:46:43 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Nats could be a trade partner again for MN, since they could use an OF.

Arcia for some has-been middle reliever.

Yeah .... what fools would do tha.............................

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4937
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/28/2015 9:49:13 PM   
SoMnFan

Angels jump out 3-0 early on the Tigers
Yanks lead the A's 1-0.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4938
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 9:12:59 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Sorry, Matt

tick ...... tick ................. tick

I heard he may have to retire. Let the HOF debate begin.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4939
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 9:15:03 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Dang, I missed a Werth sighting today.

Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth will be sidelined through at least August after a CT scan performed at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. today revealed a pair of small fractures in his left wrist, reports MLB.com’s Bill Ladson. Werth “could return as early as August,” if his rehab goes according to plan, writes Ladson, though that suggests that August is somewhat of a best-case scenario. The injury appears to have been sustained when he was hit by a pitch on May 15.

Who cried harder? SMF upon hearing this news or me upon hearing the Coco Crisp news?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4940
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 10:40:17 AM   
Mr. Ed

Buxton was really lucky. Could have been THIS bad

Center fielder David Dahl, widely regarded as one of the two best prospects in the Rockies organization, will miss the remainder of the 2015 season after undergoing surgery to repair a “massive laceration” on his spleen, reports Yahoo’s Jeff Passan (Twitter links). As Passan reported yesterday, Dahl suffered a serious spleen injury as well as a likely concussion in a truly frightening outfield collision. He will have to wear some form of protective padding for the rest of his career as a result of the injury, according to Passan.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4941
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 10:46:42 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Center fielder David Dahl, widely regarded as one of the two best prospects in the Rockies organization, will miss the remainder of the 2015 season after undergoing surgery to repair a “massive laceration” on his spleen, reports Yahoo’s Jeff Passan (Twitter links). As Passan reported yesterday, Dahl suffered a serious spleen injury as well as a likely concussion in a truly frightening outfield collision. He will have to wear some form of protective padding for the rest of his career as a result of the injury, according to Passan.

The curse of being on my fantasy team.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4942
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 10:47:06 AM   
twinsfan

I had Oscar Taveras for a couple years.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4943
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 10:54:52 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Then don't pick up Sano or Buxton please.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4944
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 11:03:37 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

I traded away Sano a couple years ago.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4945
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 11:08:02 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

I traded away Sano a couple years ago.

Ah, but you had him. So he wound up on the shelf last year, thanks to you!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4946
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 11:27:41 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

The collision didn't look that bad.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_28209545/rockies-prospect-david-dahl-seriously-injured-outfield-collision

Looks like the 2nd baseman's knee must have hit him in the spleen.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4947
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2015 11:29:40 AM   
twinsfan

Here's a better look at it. Looks worse here:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2015-05-29/rockies-prospect-david-dahl-spleen-injury-video-collision

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4948
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/31/2015 6:37:58 PM   
SoMnFan

Fun weekend in Texas for Josh Hamilton.
He's back, comfy, and producing again.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4949
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/31/2015 9:00:11 PM   
Mr. Ed

Verlander rocked in rehab start.

That hot model has taken his mojo. She'd take mine too, probably.

Zito in AAA. Bizarre. Someone is going to take a flier on him yet.

Further proof of getting an opp if you're lefthanded and breathing.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4950
Page:   <<   < prev  196 197 [198] 199 200   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  196 197 [198] 199 200   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode