Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  374 375 [376] 377 378   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/15/2017 2:28:34 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

He's also under contract for ELEVEN more seasons. For around $300M. If you claim him, you risk taking on the entire contract. I'm not sure there are any teams out there, even the Yankees, who want to take on that kind of risk.

Probably learned their lesson with ARod but this guy isn't a cheater and could help you add a few more trophies.

I think most Yankee fans would accept a couple World titles now and some penny pinching later.

Maybe. But this isn't your older brother's Yankees. They're way smarter in how they allocate risk and hand out contracts. Not to say that they won't splurge here and there, but I'm not sure you'll see any 11 year contracts coming any time soon from the Yanks. Hell, they refused to even take on the rest of Jay Bruce's salary.
Also, while Giancarlo is very good, they have some pretty damn great, young, and cheap OF options right now in Judge, Hicks, and Frazier. Not to mention still having Gardner and Ellsbury.

Their young offense is actually really well set already: Hicks, Judge, Frazier, Torres (3b), Gregorious, Castro, Bird, Sanchez. And more coming. LOADED. I think their spending will be on pitching to put around Gray and Severino.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 9376
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/15/2017 2:30:58 PM   
SoMnFan

Post #: 9377
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/15/2017 7:00:08 PM   
JT2

And another one for Stanton.
Post #: 9378
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:07:16 AM   
SoMnFan

Can't believe there is angst about him.
These guys are getting tested, right?
He's a beast.
Why would this record breaking pace not be looked at with admiration and awe?
Some are treating him like he's Sosa and McGwires love child.
Post #: 9379
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 2:27:52 PM   
djskillz

You know my feeling man; the vast majority of these guys are on stuff, in all sports. And have been for 40+ years.

I just don't care.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 9380
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 4:04:53 PM   
SoMnFan

Detroit Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler unloaded a series of grievances against Angel Hernandez on Tuesday, one day after the veteran umpire ejected him for arguing balls and strikes.

Speaking to reporters, Kinsler said that Hernandez, who has been a major league umpire since 1993, "needs to re-evaluate his career choice" because he's "messing with baseball games."

"I'm surprised at how bad an umpire he is," Kinsler said, according to the The Detroit News. "I don't know how, for as many years he's been in the league, that he can be that bad. He needs to re-evaluate his career choice, he really does. Bottom line.

"If I get fined for saying the truth, then so be it. He's messing with baseball games, blatantly."

Ian Kinsler, right, said he had his first run-in with umpire Angel Hernandez during his rookie season in 2006. Andrew Dieb/Icon Sportswire

Kinsler was tossed while batting in the fifth inning of Monday's 6-2 loss to the Texas Rangers. Kinsler questioned a strike that was called on the first pitch of his at-bat, telling Hernandez it was a strike only because he called it a strike. After the second pitch was called a ball, Kinsler turned to Hernandez and said, "What about that one?"

Hernandez ejected Kinsler. Tigers manager Brad Ausmus, who ran onto the field in Kinsler's defense, was also tossed.

"This has to do with changing the game," said Kinsler, who claims he has had problems with Hernandez since his rookie season in 2006. "He's changing the game. He needs to find another job. He really does."

Asked if he and Hernandez had a personal issue, Kinsler said, "I'm not mad at him. He just needs to go away."

Kinsler told reporters he believes that Hernandez missed eight obvious calls against both teams in Monday's game.

"Not just borderline calls here and there," Kinsler said. "There's arguments on those every game. There are pitches every game where if you call it a strike, the hitter's going to be mad; and if you call that same pitch a ball, the pitcher's going to be mad. Umpires have to deal with that every game.

"But when it becomes blatant like this, there is a problem. ... What is he doing on the field? What is he doing out there? It's pretty obvious he needs to stop ruining baseball games."

Hernandez was the third-base umpire Tuesday in Texas after working home plate Monday. Kinsler started at second base for the Tigers.

A normal rotation for the umpires would put Hernandez at second base when the teams play again Wednesday night.

After the Rangers' 10-4 win Tuesday night, when Hernandez worked third base, Hernandez said he didn't know about Kinsler's criticism. When told in general what Kinsler said, Hernandez said, "It doesn't matter.''

"I'm not at liberty to discuss tit-for-tat what's going on. As a matter of fact, I don't even care what he said," Hernandez said. "What I care about is going out there and doing my job, to the best I can do."

Hernandez, 55, has worked two World Series (2002, 2005) and last season was part of a League Championship Series crew for the seventh time.

In 2010, an ESPN survey revealed that 22 percent of players who were asked called Hernandez the worst umpire in the majors.

A native of Cuba, Hernandez filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball last month alleging that racial discrimination, as well as a long-simmering personal vendetta between him and MLB chief baseball officer Joe Torre, has hindered his career advancement. A few days after filing the suit, Hernandez was named an umpire for the All-Star Game in Miami. The suit is pending.
Post #: 9381
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 5:16:24 PM   
SoMnFan

Royales wiggle out a jam in the 6th vs As
KC 5 Oakland 4 in the 7th now
Seattle up 7-4 on Baltimore in the 8th
Post #: 9382
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 7:57:38 PM   
SoMnFan

Mariners 7 O's 6
KC 7 Oakland 6
Angels 3 Nats 2
Yanks 3 Mets 2 in the 6th

We lost some ground the last couple days
Post #: 9383
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 9:54:35 PM   
SoMnFan

Toronto 3 Tampa 2
Yanks 5 Mets 3
Post #: 9384
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:22:36 PM   
djskillz

For all the (warranted) talk about Giancarlo, Joey Votto is even more impressive to me.

20 straight games on base at least twice? That's nuts. He's tied with Bonds and Rose for 2nd longest streak ever now. Ted Williams is first at 21.

I'm not sure there's a more underrated hitter than Joey Votto in the game. He;s probably been the best purely offensive talent in the world over the last 10 years or so. Too bad it's been wasted in Cincinnati.

Post #: 9385
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:26:23 PM   
djskillz

Dodgers have to go 33-11 down the stretch to break the all-time reccord. I think (and hope) they can do it.

Viva Los Doyers!

Post #: 9386
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:33:00 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

For all the (warranted) talk about Giancarlo, Joey Votto is even more impressive to me.

20 straight games on base at least twice? That's nuts. He's tied with Bonds and Rose for 2nd longest streak ever now. Ted Williams is first at 21.

I'm not sure there's a more underrated hitter than Joey Votto in the game. He;s probably been the best purely offensive talent in the world over the last 10 years or so. Too bad it's been wasted in Cincinnati.

Had those same thoughts the other day ... cannot believe how quietly he has gone along there.
Cinncy was THE team for many years during my youth, for the past couple decades they've been NOWHERESVILLE.
Cycles, man ... cycles.
It was nice of that racist kook Schott to ruin the franchise, her and her boy-toy Petey. Ewwwwwwww.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 8/16/2017 10:34:05 PM >
Post #: 9387
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:34:33 PM   
JT2

quote:

Votto is on the very short list of best players in the game right now.

Hey, what's wrong with his defense?
Post #: 9388
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:34:33 PM   
djskillz

Yep, and year in year out he just keeps chugging along, with little/no help. Building one of the greatest careers for a 1b in the history of the game.

Votto's career OPS+ (accounting for park effects/era) is 158. You know how many players in the history of baseball are above that? 15. That's it. A few of the guys BELOW him right now: Willie Mays, Frank Thomas, Hank Aaron, Joe Dimaggio, Manny Ramirez, Frank Robinson, Pujols, Miggy, Honus Wagner...

BTW, one of the guys above him? Mr. Trout, at SIXTH all time (173). And he hasn't even entered his prime yet. If Trout didn't have that fluke injury for about 5 weeks this season, his year would be ALL we'd be talking about.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/16/2017 10:41:02 PM >

Post #: 9389
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:35:35 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Dodgers have to go 33-11 down the stretch to break the all-time reccord. I think (and hope) they can do it.

Viva Los Doyers!

Cannot believe they are cruising along WITHOUT Kershaw.
Its almost unfair at this point.
I hope they HAMMER a couple of the pretenders, Warrior-style.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 8/16/2017 10:39:57 PM >
Post #: 9390
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:38:50 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Viva Los Doyers!

I hope hey HAMMER a couple of the pretenders, Warrior-style.

Agree. I can handle any of the West teams coming out of the NL this year (I like the Rockies/DBacks) but I'm definitely rooting for the Doyers.

Post #: 9391
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:39:46 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

Viva Los Doyers!

I hope hey HAMMER a couple of the pretenders, Warrior-style.

Unfortunately, that is a very apt comparison. How do you beat them?
Post #: 9392
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:42:53 PM   
djskillz

Right now the only real weakness I can see for them is maybe the middle innings. Your only real shot is to somehow get to a starter early and get to a couple of the lower bullpen arms. But then again, in the playoffs you're probably adding guys like McCarthy, Rich Hill, Maeda or Ryu to the pen as well. Embarrassment of riches.

I've never bought the Kershaw playoff bs at all. He's actually been very good in the playoffs considering they pretty much have always pitched him short rest. The problem has more been that and trying to push him too hard because of the pen. Many games where he's gone 5-6 shutout innings or so and then they stick with him too long on short rest and he shows he's actually human.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/16/2017 10:44:23 PM >

Post #: 9393
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:43:59 PM   
SoMnFan

It's going to take something catastrophic, like a bullpen collapse or something along those lines. Imo.
Or a rogue group of Cubbie-loving Umps.
Which is totally possible, btw.
Post #: 9394
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:45:12 PM   
djskillz

quote:

It's going to take something catastrophic, like a bullpen collapse or something along those lines. Imo.
Or a rogue group of Cubbie-loving Umps.
Which is totally possible, btw.

Yep. Never been a Cardinal fan, but it would be so amazing to see them keep them out of the playoffs.

Post #: 9395
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2017 10:54:18 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Votto is on the very short list of best players in the game right now.

Hey, what's wrong with his defense?

Nothing wrong with it. I just wouldn't put him in the Trout category when you add the rest of his game in comparison. But I'm honestly not sure there's a better offensive player than Votto over the last decade. I'd probably put each of Trout, Betts, Arenado, Altuve and Goldschmidt above him for the "overall" title. With Correa and Seager soon to join them. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/16/2017 10:55:57 PM >

Post #: 9396
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2017 10:43:16 AM   
twinsfan

If all goes as expected, Derek Jeter will be an owner of the Miami Marlins. It’ll be his team, and he can do what he wants — well, almost.

That ridiculous home run sculpture is staying, and there’s nothing the new ownership group can do about it … according to Miami-Dade County.

The Miami Herald spoke to Michael Spring, head of the county’s cultural affairs arm, and he explained why the sculpture is staying.

“The County commissioned and purchased the Home Run Sculpture with the public art funds generated by the ballpark project. It was designed specifically for this project and location and is permanently installed. It is not movable.”

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9397
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2017 11:10:23 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Right now the only real weakness I can see for them is maybe the middle innings. Your only real shot is to somehow get to a starter early and get to a couple of the lower bullpen arms. But then again, in the playoffs you're probably adding guys like McCarthy, Rich Hill, Maeda or Ryu to the pen as well. Embarrassment of riches.

I've never bought the Kershaw playoff bs at all. He's actually been very good in the playoffs considering they pretty much have always pitched him short rest. The problem has more been that and trying to push him too hard because of the pen. Many games where he's gone 5-6 shutout innings or so and then they stick with him too long on short rest and he shows he's actually human.

The injury to Kershaw may be a godsend if he is healthy and rested for a couple starts to get his mojo back....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 9398
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/21/2017 2:32:07 PM   
SoMnFan

If the Astros are serious about winning it all, they will acquire Verlander.
If they don't they will be watching other's play for it.
Post #: 9399
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/21/2017 2:57:16 PM   
SoMnFan

Really awesome to see the major leaguers have so much fun at Williamsport last night
Very cool
Post #: 9400
Page:   <<   < prev  374 375 [376] 377 378   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  374 375 [376] 377 378   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode