Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  445 446 [447] 448 449   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/21/2018 1:52:26 PM   
SoMnFan

The Texas Rangers have traded infielder Jurickson Profar to the Oakland Athletics as part of a three-team deal that also involves the Tampa Bay Rays, the teams announced Friday.

The Rays get reliever Emilio Pagan and the 38th overall pick in the 2019 draft from the A's and minor league pitcher Rollie Lacy from the Rangers. The Rangers receive Rays minor league relievers Brock Burke, Kyle Bird and Yoel Espinal, A's minor league infielder Eli White and international slot money.

Profar hit .254 for the Rangers last season with 20 home runs and 77 RBIs, playing the majority of 2018 at either shortstop or third base. He could serve as a replacement for free agent Jed Lowrie at second base in the A's infield.
Post #: 11151
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/21/2018 1:57:14 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

The Texas Rangers have traded infielder Jurickson Profar to the Oakland Athletics as part of a three-team deal that also involves the Tampa Bay Rays, the teams announced Friday.

The Rays get reliever Emilio Pagan and the 38th overall pick in the 2019 draft from the A's and minor league pitcher Rollie Lacy from the Rangers. The Rangers receive Rays minor league relievers Brock Burke, Kyle Bird and Yoel Espinal, A's minor league infielder Eli White and international slot money.

Profar hit .254 for the Rangers last season with 20 home runs and 77 RBIs, playing the majority of 2018 at either shortstop or third base. He could serve as a replacement for free agent Jed Lowrie at second base in the A's infield.

I thought the A's would value the draft pick a little more than that.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11152
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/21/2018 3:52:37 PM   
twinsfan

Interesting trade. I like what the Reds did here. Unloaded Homer Bailey, formerly one of my favorite underrated pitchers.

-----------------------------------------------

Matt Kemp, Yasiel Puig, and Alex Wood are all heading to Cincinnati, Passan tweets. Righty Homer Bailey and more will go in return. “Prospects and possibly international bonus slots” are also included in the deal, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (via Twitter), who adds that Bailey has waived his no-trade protection.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11153
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/21/2018 3:57:53 PM   
twinsfan

Puig is gonna launch bombs in that Cincinnati ballpark.

Kemp is gonna look good and play beach volleyball with Jayson Werth. He retired and now lives in Cincinnati.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11154
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/21/2018 5:02:23 PM   
Mr. Ed

Guess the Reds got tired of the rebuilding mode.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11155
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/27/2018 9:58:32 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Yonder Alonso now dealt by Cleveland to the White Sox.

And the Twins?

pretty quiet. not impressed.

The Twins are doing virtually nothing in off-season. I read about a week ago that the strategy for the upcoming season is to allow their young players, ie, Buxton and Sano to develop.

That is simply reassuring.

CJ Cron and Nelson Cruz will for sure be better than LoMo.

See, I called it on December 15th. I just connected the dots.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11156
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/27/2018 11:47:47 AM   
twinsfan

The juiciest rumor of the day comes from Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, who says that the Mets are interested in acquiring catcher J.T. Realmuto in a three-way deal with the Yankees and Marlins. Noah Syndergaard could potentially be involved as well, with him likely going to the Yankees in that trade scenario. Rosenthal adds the Mets would need more than just Realmuto in order to part with Syndergaard.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11157
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/27/2018 12:50:03 PM   
SoMnFan

Does Russo write for them?
Post #: 11158
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/27/2018 12:58:41 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Does Russo write for them?

I don't know. Never heard of The Athletic.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11159
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/27/2018 1:04:28 PM   
SoMnFan

See?
We could be Penn and Teller, too .....
Post #: 11160
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/27/2018 1:12:02 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

See?

Sweeney doesn't think rehashing Common Man jokes is funny. I beg to differ. You're my new partner.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11161
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/27/2018 1:16:51 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

See?

Sweeney doesn't think rehashing Common Man jokes is funny. I beg to differ. You're my new partner.

Nope

You're contractually obligated to Sweens. Until one of you dies.
Post #: 11162
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/27/2018 1:21:03 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

See?

Nope

You're contractually obligated to Sweens. Until one of you dies.

What if I hate him?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11163
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/27/2018 1:40:16 PM   
SoMnFan

You signed up for it ....
Post #: 11164
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/28/2018 7:18:22 PM   
twinsfan

I don't remember this. But the first time the MLB Network televised the draft (2009), only one player showed up at the MLB Network studios for that draft. That player? Mike Trout. The hosts of the draft were feeling so bad for the kid because he was picked later than expected. Egg on a lot of faces that night. Now many more players show up on draft day. The Mike Trout effect?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11165
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/28/2018 7:39:26 PM   
twinsfan

Richard Justice just selected the White Sox as his surprise team of 2019!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11166
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 12/28/2018 8:03:04 PM   
twinsfan

And Joel Sherman selected the Royals as his surprise team of 2019!

The Central may be tougher than we think.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11167
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/8/2019 3:43:04 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

And Joel Sherman selected the Royals as his surprise team of 2019!

The Central may be tougher than we think.

So in order for the White Sox and Royals to step up, another team will likely fall back.

hmmmm.......

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 11168
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/14/2019 8:51:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

RIP Mel Stottlemyre

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11169
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/15/2019 1:43:57 PM   
SoMnFan

And in disgusting news ....

Former World Series MVP John Wetteland arrested on child sex abuse charge

John Wetteland, former MLB pitcher and member of the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame, was arrested Monday on a charge of child sex abuse.

The Dallas Morning News reported that the 52-year-old Wetteland, who currently resides in Trophy Club, Texas, has been accused of continuously sexually abusing a child under the age of 14.

Wetteland pitched in the majors from 1989 to 2000, moving from starter to closer in 1990 and finding success with the Montreal Expos, New York Yankees and Texas Rangers. He was named the World Series MVP in 1996 with the Yankees, but the team allowed him to become a free agent weeks later due to the emergence of Marino Rivera. He signed with the Rangers and spent four seasons in Arlington, retiring at 33 after becoming the team’s all-time saves leader with 150 — a record he still holds.

He moved to coaching after that, and was hired as pitching coach by the Washington Nationals in 2006. But Wetteland was fired after six months due to persistent practical jokes and failing to listen to manager Frank Robinson, who asked him to stop multiple times. He was the pitching coach for the Seattle Mariners in 2009 and 2010, but that stint wasn’t without incident. In November 2009, Wetteland was hospitalized after police were called to his home to respond to a possible suicide threat. The incident was blamed on elevated blood pressure and heart rate issues in a statement released by Wetteland and the Mariners.

According to the Dallas Morning News, Wetteland is a born-again Christian who has taught Bible studies and coached baseball at a nearby Christian school. It’s not known if the sex abuse charge has anything to do with the school, though the Dallas Morning News reported that Wetteland no longer has any connection to it.

Wetteland posted $25,000 bond after his arrest and was released on Monday.
Post #: 11170
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/15/2019 1:47:59 PM   
MDK

quote:

John Wetteland, former MLB pitcher and member of the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame, was arrested Monday on a charge of child sex abuse.

The Dallas Morning News reported that the 52-year-old Wetteland, who currently resides in Trophy Club, Texas, has been accused of continuously sexually abusing a child under the age of 14.

Wetteland pitched in the majors from 1989 to 2000, moving from starter to closer in 1990 and finding success with the Montreal Expos, New York Yankees and Texas Rangers. He was named the World Series MVP in 1996 with the Yankees, but the team allowed him to become a free agent weeks later due to the emergence of Marino Rivera. He signed with the Rangers and spent four seasons in Arlington, retiring at 33 after becoming the team’s all-time saves leader with 150 — a record he still holds.

He moved to coaching after that, and was hired as pitching coach by the Washington Nationals in 2006. But Wetteland was fired after six months due to persistent practical jokes and failing to listen to manager Frank Robinson, who asked him to stop multiple times. He was the pitching coach for the Seattle Mariners in 2009 and 2010, but that stint wasn’t without incident. In November 2009, Wetteland was hospitalized after police were called to his home to respond to a possible suicide threat. The incident was blamed on elevated blood pressure and heart rate issues in a statement released by Wetteland and the Mariners.

According to the Dallas Morning News, Wetteland is a born-again Christian who has taught Bible studies and coached baseball at a nearby Christian school. It’s not known if the sex abuse charge has anything to do with the school, though the Dallas Morning News reported that Wetteland no longer has any connection to it.

While they are not all child sex abusers, the fact that he is likely an Evangelical Right person is not surprising.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 11171
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/15/2019 1:49:01 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

If true, disgusting.

Let's let the court case play out.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 11172
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2019 12:23:40 PM   
SoMnFan

No HOF talk today?

Disappointed in some of you.
C'mon fellas.
Big day ...

(lookin at you, matty) .......
Post #: 11173
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2019 12:27:44 PM   
twinsfan

Oh, I'm paying attention. Been watching all the MLB Network roundtable discussion when I get home at night.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11174
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2019 12:33:16 PM   
twinsfan

Will be interesting to see if Mariano Rivera is the first unanimous selection.

The other lock is Roy Halladay.

I also predict Edgar Martinez and Mike Mussina sneak in today. Both good selections.

Look for Larry Walker to take a big jump up. He may get in next year.

Bonds and Clemens will inch up slightly. My guess is they will both get in on their last year on the ballot, whenever that is. 3 years or so?

Hoping Lance Berkman doesn't fall below 5%. It would be like when Kenny Lofton fell off. These are guys that should get more consideration. It would be like if Bert fell off the ballot too soon. Glad that didn't happen and we had more time to evaluate his career.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11175
Page:   <<   < prev  445 446 [447] 448 449   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  445 446 [447] 448 449   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode