Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  463 464 [465] 466 467   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/16/2019 6:30:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

Tigers whacked six minor league coaches, including Brian Harper. Nothing on Dougie's fate yet.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11601
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/17/2019 1:25:34 PM   
SoMnFan

We'll take you back Dougie

Figured it wasn't gardys fault

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11602
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/17/2019 1:41:38 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

We'll take you back Dougie

Figured it wasn't gardys fault

Of course not

Never has been

Teflon Ron

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11603
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/17/2019 3:43:49 PM   
SoMnFan

Trout to undergo season ending surgery
There’s some pretty good Buxton-type material just laying here.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11604
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/18/2019 8:46:53 AM   
twinsfan

Biggio hits for cycle 17 years after his father did the same.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11605
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/18/2019 9:00:23 AM   
MDK

Coolest story last night was grandson Mike hitting one out of Fenway while Grandpa Carl watched. 20 homers for third generation Yaz.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 11606
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/19/2019 11:00:10 AM   
SoMnFan

Sorry to keep dragging this Tyler Skaggs thing back up …
But now his family is making a big deal out of how he got the drugs that killed him.
Man, that's misguided, imo.
You wanted us to care about this kid, and we did. Stop now. Just stop.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11607
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/19/2019 1:33:21 PM   
SoMnFan

Sports
Giants rookie Tyler Rogers opening eyes with unique submarine slider

Only jury duty kept Giants pitching coach Curt Young from putting together a summit of submariners this month. Young was with the A's when Chad Bradford dominated hitters with his unique approach, and he hoped to put Bradford in a room with Giants rookie Tyler Rogers.
"He got called in for jury duty," a smiling Young said of Bradford. "But we'll make it happen at some point."
With the way Rogers is pitching, there's no real rush. Nobody is taking greater advantage of a September opportunity than Rogers, a submarining right-hander who has a 1.54 ERA in 12 appearances and has allowed just seven hits. Rogers provides a look that's not seen anywhere else in the majors, and big leaguers haven't adjusted yet.
With every bewildered stare back at the mound, Rogers gets closer to putting himself in position for a bullpen job in 2020.
"The results kind of speak for themselves so far. I've been able to execute pitches," Rogers said. "Between the two levels, that hasn't changed. If you execute the pitch, more times than not you're going to be successful. And if you don't, you know, they're going to hurt you."
There's been very little pain thus far, particularly on a slider that's become a put-away pitch for Rogers and has fascinated teammates and fans. Because of where Rogers releases the ball -- he's dead last in the majors with a release point of just 1.05 feet above the dirt -- the slider often appears to be rising the entire way to the catcher's glove. It floats into the strike zone and elicits ugly swings.
"Absolutely, it almost rises even for the catcher," said Aramis Garcia, who caught Rogers in Triple-A. "Depending on how he throws it, if it's high or in the middle of the zone, it gets really good rise. Guys in the batter's box say it all the time. They hate seeing that slider after the fastball."
Rogers' slider isn't a high-spin pitch. At 2,279 RPM, it has one of the lowest spin rates on the Giants' staff, but the results thus far have been impressive. Rogers has thrown the pitch 36 times and allowed just one hit, a single. Seven of his eight strikeouts have come on the slider and it's being hit an average of just 79 mph when put into play.
The funny thing about the pitch for Rogers is that it didn't even use to be in his repertoire. As a freshman at Austin Peay, he threw exclusively fastballs.
"I just couldn't figure (the slider) out and it still takes a lot of tinkering in practice," Rogers said. "That pitch has definitely evolved a lot over the years. Now I just kind of let it do what it wants that day. It's not the same day to day. Some days I can really cut it loose and give it what I've got and other days I've got to be a little more about finesse with it."
The pitch, which Rogers throws off of his low 80s sinker, helped him put up eye-popping numbers during a curiously long stay in Triple-A. Rogers had a 3.27 ERA in 179 career appearances in a tough league for pitchers, but the Giants didn't take a look until this September, the end of his fourth season in Sacramento.
Teammates who were there the day Rogers got called up say the eruption from the clubhouse was as loud as they could remember. They were curious to see how Rogers' delivery would work against big league hitters, and so far the results have helped Rogers grab a more high-leverage role in a shifting bullpen.
That doesn't surprise Garcia, who actually might have learned more about Rogers' slider when an opposing hitter had success against it. Garcia often played first base in Sacramento and said even a hitter who reached would come away grumbling.
"There were a lot of times where a guy would get to first base and all he would be talking about is how much he hates facing him," Garcia said.
Big league hitters apparently feel the same way.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11608
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/20/2019 5:58:20 AM   
Ricky J

There used to be a time you could just provide a twitter link but I can't do it anymore.

If you want to see Royce Lewis make a great Buxton like grab as he hits the wall and follow it up with a bomb go to Twitter: MLB's Arizona Fall League @MLBazFallLeague (or I'm sure you can find it someplace else)
Post #: 11609
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/22/2019 8:29:13 PM   
Mr. Ed

Over his first nine seasons in Major League Baseball, no moment seemed too big for Craig Kimbrel.

The flame-throwing closer dominated in stints with the Atlanta Braves, San Diego Padres and Boston Red Sox, racking up 333 saves, 868 strikeouts and seven All-Star appearances.

It’s been a different story in 2019.

The now 31-year-old veteran hasn’t just looked human on the hill. He’s looked overwhelmed. As if there were no answers as to why his dominance has disappeared after signing a three-year, $43 million contract with the Chicago Cubs back in May.

Kimbrel’s last nightmare outing
Kimbrel’s struggles were on full display again on Saturday, and the results couldn’t have been worse for Chicago. Tasked with protecting a one-run, ninth-inning lead in a game the Cubs absolutely had to win against the St. Louis Cardinals, Kimbrel served up game-tying and go-ahead home runs before the announcers were finished reading his stats.

Two pitches. Two home runs. The Cardinals grabbed a 9-8 lead. And the Cubs fell short again, potentially driving a dagger through their playoff chances.

It was the same story for Kimbrel in his previous outing.

After returning from a two-week absence brought on by knee discomfort, Kimbrel gave up a game-winning home run to the Cardinals’ Matt Carpenter in Thursday’s 5-4, 10-inning loss.

It was the same story many times before that one. Kimbrel hasn’t been able to get the key outs or keep the baseball in the ballpark. After not allowing more than seven home runs in any previous season, he’s already allowed nine this season. In less than 20 innings.

Kimbrel’s ERA is actually 6.53. The blown save was his third in 16 opportunities. The loss his fourth in just 23 appearances.

He’s been anything but the lockdown closer the Cubs hoped they were getting.

Uncertain offseason behind Kimbrel’s struggles?
Like top starting pitching free agent Dallas Keuchel, Kimbrel went unsigned during the offseason despite playing a key role in the Red Sox World Series championship last season. Kimbrel’s reported $100 million asking price was too hefty for even the richest and most desperate of teams to consider investing. When the price lowered in May, the Cubs thought they’d gotten a bargain to help fill the ninth-inning void in their struggling bullpen.

What they’ve gotten so far is a shell of the pitcher who was arguably the best at his job over the last decade.

Maybe the offseason of uncertainty is a contributing factor. Maybe not having a real spring training has played a role. Kimbrel spent most of June in the minor leagues building up strength, but it’s a different ballgame starting then as opposed to February. Perhaps there’s more to the knee issue he missed time with. Though Kimbrel attempted to dismiss the latter following Saturday’s outing.

From The Athletic’s Patrick Mooney:

“I was pumped out there. I was excited. I felt like I had good stuff. And then right there off the bat, two home runs. Frustrating,” Kimbrel said Saturday.

“I feel great right now. My last two outings, I felt great. I just didn’t get the results I wanted, the results I need to have to do my job. Moving forward, I have a good feeling I will.”

“Craig’s a Hall of Fame closer,” teammate Anthony Rizzo said in support of Kimbrel. “He’s got a track record for a reason. He puts in the work. We all see it. He’s an amazing guy in the clubhouse. We have his back. It’s tough. I know he feels bad, but he’s a competitor and he’s a champion and he’ll bounce back.”

The positive reinforcement is all well and good. But something is off. There’s no question about that. It’s too late for the Cubs to fix it this season, but with two years left on their deal it’s something they’ll need to figure out this winter. Otherwise their big bargain will turn into an even bigger regret.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11610
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2019 9:21:26 AM   
twinsfan

Why didn't anyone notice Greinke almost threw a no-hitter last night?

Earlier this season, while he was still with Arizona, Greinke carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning against the Nationals before allowing a Trea Turner infield single. After the game, Greinke said throwing a no-hitter would “probably be more of a hassle than anything. A bunch of nonsense comes with it. I don’t think about no-hitters, ever.”

Coming within two outs of his first career no-hitter didn’t change his mind much.

“I mean, there's some hassle to it, but I think I would've liked to have done it,” he said.

The win pushed the Astros to 50 games over .500 (104-54) and broke the franchise record for wins in a season set last year. They also improved to 18-1 against the Mariners, including 13 wins in a row.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11611
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2019 9:42:32 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Earlier this season, while he was still with Arizona, Greinke carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning against the Nationals before allowing a Trea Turner infield single. After the game, Greinke said throwing a no-hitter would “probably be more of a hassle than anything. A bunch of nonsense comes with it. I don’t think about no-hitters, ever.”

Coming within two outs of his first career no-hitter didn’t change his mind much.

“I mean, there's some hassle to it, but I think I would've liked to have done it,” he said.

The win pushed the Astros to 50 games over .500 (104-54) and broke the franchise record for wins in a season set last year. They also improved to 18-1 against the Mariners, including 13 wins in a row.

Figured everyone was tired of me reminding everyone that this was the guy we should have inked years ago …… was easy to see then, easier to see now.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11612
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2019 9:53:04 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Figured everyone was tired of me reminding everyone that this was the guy we should have inked years ago …… was easy to see then, easier to see now.

I didn't post it so you could pat yourself on the back.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11613
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/28/2019 8:49:50 AM   
twinsfan

The Astros have not issued an intentional walk this season. They last issued an intentional walk on August 17, 2018.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11614
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/28/2019 6:40:54 PM   
Mr. Ed

Following a lackluster 2019 season, Boston Red Sox owners plan to slash the Major League team's payroll by $37 million to avoid paying the so-called luxury tax next year.
The Sox have had baseball's highest payroll for two straight seasons now, and the team is on track to pay $13 million this year in competitive balance tax, a fee imposed by the league in the late 1990s to ensure less-wealthy teams could stay competitive. Boston's $243 million payroll is $37 million over the threshold.
In 2020, “we need to be under the competitive balance threshold and that was something we’ve known for more than a year now,” owner John Henry said in his first public remarks with co-owner Tom Werner since team president Dave Dombrowski was fired. “If you don’t reset, there are penalties, so we’ve known for some time now we needed to reset as other clubs have done.”
If the Red Sox exceed next year's threshold of $208 million, which would be the third time surpassing it, the team's base tax rate would rise from 30 percent to 50 percent.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11615
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/29/2019 1:18:29 PM   
Mr. Ed

Hurdle gone in Pittsburgh

Nine years of little to nothing

Maddon leaving Cubs
Here’s to many more years of missing the playoffs

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11616
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/29/2019 4:21:31 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Following a lackluster 2019 season, Boston Red Sox owners plan to slash the Major League team's payroll by $37 million to avoid paying the so-called luxury tax next year.
The Sox have had baseball's highest payroll for two straight seasons now, and the team is on track to pay $13 million this year in competitive balance tax, a fee imposed by the league in the late 1990s to ensure less-wealthy teams could stay competitive. Boston's $243 million payroll is $37 million over the threshold.
In 2020, “we need to be under the competitive balance threshold and that was something we’ve known for more than a year now,” owner John Henry said in his first public remarks with co-owner Tom Werner since team president Dave Dombrowski was fired. “If you don’t reset, there are penalties, so we’ve known for some time now we needed to reset as other clubs have done.”
If the Red Sox exceed next year's threshold of $208 million, which would be the third time surpassing it, the team's base tax rate would rise from 30 percent to 50 percent.

Good news. Red Sox will suck for awhile.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11617
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/29/2019 4:22:16 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Hurdle gone in Pittsburgh

Nine years of little to nothing

Maddon leaving Cubs
Here’s to many more years of missing the playoffs

Yost forced out of KC.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11618
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/29/2019 6:57:11 PM   
Mr. Ed

Brewers give up single runs in the last 3 to get tied, then lose on WP in 13

No Game 163 vs STL

Cubs rolled over and lost 9-0

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11619
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/30/2019 10:25:31 AM   
SoMnFan

Crazy how that final push takes a toll on teams every year
Teams with nothing to play for can totally F up peoples parade plans
Its fun to watch.
Todays athletes seem to totally get up to be spoilers. Can't always get them up to be champions, but man, they love being pee in someone's morning cheerios.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11620
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/30/2019 10:26:41 AM   
SoMnFan

Yosts time was way up
Maddon's time is never up
Cubs will regret that move, and I'm happy they will.
Happy to see the shine come off Boston. Win and you're the worlds greatest bunch of friends. Lose, and its all your fault.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11621
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/30/2019 3:13:04 PM   
twinsfan

Brad Ausmus fired. Maddon likely to be hired.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11622
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/30/2019 3:15:02 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Brad Ausmus fired. Maddon likely to be hired.

I’d read Ausmus turned out to be a bad choice

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11623
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/2/2019 8:01:44 PM   
twinsfan

Cleveland just picked up their $17.5 million option on Kluber for 2020.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11624
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/2/2019 8:11:40 PM   
twinsfan

Rays PH for Duffy in the 3rd inning. This is serious. We won't carry enough position players on our roster to consider a PH before the 8th inning.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11625
Page:   <<   < prev  463 464 [465] 466 467   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  463 464 [465] 466 467   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode