Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  461 462 [463] 464 465   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/12/2019 1:53:09 PM   
Mr. Ed

The strike started on this date in 1994

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27161035/oh-my-god-how-do-oral-history-1994-mlb-strike

KENT HRBEK (Minnesota Twins first baseman, 1981-94, drove in three runs on Aug. 11): I had announced my retirement earlier that season, so instead of playing my last game at the end of September, it was the middle of August. There wasn't sadness for me. When the season was canceled, I just took the [protective] cup that I wore all those years, grabbed a hammer and nailed it to the wall in my garage.
My cup is still nailed to that wall.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11551
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/12/2019 2:53:12 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Red Sox foolishly rested their starting pitchers in March and April in expectation that they would have more in the tank for October.
Now there is not going to be an October, so Alex Cora probably will be able to shut down Chris Sale and David Price in the final weeks of this lost season.

Sunday at Fenway was one of those maddening losses that so typifies this annoying Red Sox season. The S.S. Dombrowski extended its trip to nowhere and made it clear that there will be no games for this team in October.

The Sox lost to the Angels, 5-4, in 10 innings. It took 4 hours and 2 minutes. The Sox left nine runners on base. Cora “rested” Mookie Betts against a lefty making his second start in the big leagues. Chris Owings, released by the Royals this year, hit in Betts’s leadoff spot and went 0 for 5 with three strikeouts (Owings fanned with the bases loaded to end the second). Andrew Cashner was a dumpster fire again, establishing that he is perhaps the worst midsummer acquisition in Sox history, and that he should never get the ball to start another game. Rafael Devers (running on his own) was thrown out trying to steal third base with one out in the second. Attempting to sacrifice (on his own) in the eighth, Christian Vazquez bunted a popup that had more hang time than a Ray Guy punt. After the failed sacrifice, pinch runner Betts was caught stealing.
And when it was over, there was still plenty of delusion.
“We’ve got a good team, we really do, regardless of what our record says,’’ said Matt Barnes, who gave up a game-tying homer in the eighth, good for Boston’s 22nd blown save of the season. “We are by no means out of this thing.’’
“I think my stuff is really good,’’ added Cashner, who evidently sees Nolan Ryan’s image when he looks in the mirror. “I’m just not getting ahead of the hitters. I’ve been doing this a long time . . . There’s a lot of season left. I might have eight starts left.’’
Let’s hope not. Cashner Sunday lasted 1⅔ innings. He walked five, hit one, and gave up three runs. He threw 51 pitches, 24 for strikes. He loaded the bases on 10 pitches while recording no outs in the top of the first. In the second, he started the inning by walking a guy hitting .206 and a guy hitting .147.
Cashner was acquired from the Orioles for a pair of 17-year-old non-prospects July 13. He is 56-86 lifetime and has never pitched on a winning team in the big leagues. He is on record saying he would retire before he would shave his beard.
I vote for keeping the “Duck Dynasty” look and retiring. Cashner has started six games since Dombrowski traded for him. He is 1-4 with an 8.01 ERA. He has allowed a whopping 61 baserunners and 27 earned runs in 30⅓ innings. There have been 41 hits, 17 walks, and three hit batsmen. He is also homerlicious — seven bombs in 30 ⅓ innings. This guy makes Johnny “Way Back” Wasdin look like Juan Marichal.
Cora wouldn’t entertain speculation about pulling Cashner from the rotation. Understood. The manager’s already got Rick Porcello (5.67) and ailing Price to worry about. But Cora said there would be discussions about the future of the rotation when the staff convenes Monday in Cleveland.
Cora also said he had no regrets about resting Betts against rookie Patrick Sandoval.

As for the dubious decisions by Devers and Vazquez, the manager went into Belichick overdrive, refusing to say that the players were acting on their own.
“We did a few things to try to make things happen,’’ Cora said with a smile. “As a group today, we did some things we don’t normally do.’’

The Red Sox have played 120 games and have 42 left. They are a mere four games over .500. They are 7½ games out of the second wild-card spot. They have to overcome two teams from a group that includes Cleveland, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and Oakland. They are way behind all of them.
Cora was full of confidence before Sunday’s loss. He talked about greeting newcomer Owings by telling him, “We’ve got a shot to go to the World Series and you’re going to be part of it. We’ve got a real shot. Not a fake shot.’’
Five hours later, as the Sox packed for Cleveland, the manager sounded a little less confident.
Explaining the latest frustrating loss, Cora shrugged and said, “It’s something we’ve been doing the whole season. Inconsistent. That’s why it’s tough to make the playoffs.’’
It is not happening, folks, no matter what NESN keeps telling you. The Red Sox need sweeps, not splits. Since the eight-game losing streak put them in the big wild-card hole, they are treading water. And they are running out of games.

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 8/12/2019 2:57:52 PM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11552
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2019 8:44:30 AM   
twinsfan

All nine members of the Tribe's starting lineup produced a multi-hit effort, only the second time in franchise history that's happened.

The other time? That would be 113 years ago. Talk about a statement.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11553
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2019 10:53:26 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

All nine members of the Tribe's starting lineup produced a multi-hit effort, only the second time in franchise history that's happened.

The other time? That would be 113 years ago. Talk about a statement.

That is a truly remarkable accomplishment. Nine players and at least two hits each. That would be about equivalent to/as rare as a soccer team having every position player except the goalie scoring a goal in a game.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 11554
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2019 2:17:36 PM   
SoMnFan

About as crazy as Max being 0-5 last night in our blowout win.
Post #: 11555
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/19/2019 5:15:17 PM   
Mr. Ed

No TJ for Sales

Yet

Red Sox ace Chris Sale will likely avoid Tommy John surgery, ESPN's Jeff Passan reports.
Sale was placed on the 10-day injured list with left elbow inflammation on Saturday. He was scheduled to spend the team's day off on Monday and sought a second opinion from renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Florida. The 30-year-old's visit with Andrews confirmed the inflammation diagnosis, according to Passan.
This season, Sale is 6-11 with a 4.4 ERA and 218 strikeouts.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11556
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/19/2019 8:26:28 PM   
Mr. Ed

Further details on Chris Sale, per Red Sox:

- He's done for the regular season, with Dr. James Andrews recommending a re-evaluation in six weeks.
- He received a PRP shot in his left elbow. Doctors use it to promote healing.
- Even if Sox make playoffs, Sale return is unlikely.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11557
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2019 10:54:24 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

No TJ for Sales

Yet

Red Sox ace Chris Sale will likely avoid Tommy John surgery, ESPN's Jeff Passan reports.
Sale was placed on the 10-day injured list with left elbow inflammation on Saturday. He was scheduled to spend the team's day off on Monday and sought a second opinion from renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Florida. The 30-year-old's visit with Andrews confirmed the inflammation diagnosis, according to Passan.
This season, Sale is 6-11 with a 4.4 ERA and 218 strikeouts.

Shows how pitchers can have really poor and injury filled seasons. And I assume Sale is making $25 million per season.

Post #: 11558
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/21/2019 1:26:28 PM   
SoMnFan

Pretty great info on some baseball card trivia

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27426350/his-bat-handle-says-10-most-hilarious-unforgettable-baseball-cards
Post #: 11559
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/21/2019 1:46:55 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Pretty great info on some baseball card trivia

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27426350/his-bat-handle-says-10-most-hilarious-unforgettable-baseball-cards

I have tens of thousands of mostly worthless baseball cards. Those were some interesting cards. Haven't seen most of them. I don't remember the Cal Ripken cell phone one. It was a little after my time. I've seen the Bill Ripken, Oscar Gamble and Mickey Hatcher cards. I've never seen that 1994 Oscar Azocar card, but I do have his 1991 card where he is using his bats like chopsticks to lift a baseball over his head.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11560
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/21/2019 1:49:20 PM   
SoMnFan

Pretty cool Matt
Figured someone would like the info
I had dozens of 5 inch binders full of cards, all in sleeves
Gave em to the boys
The hockey cards are my favorites. The late '70s was a hilarious time in pro sports
Some "colorful" characters
Post #: 11561
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/21/2019 1:49:21 PM   
twinsfan

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11562
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/21/2019 1:49:56 PM   
twinsfan

Oscar Azocar died in 2010 of a heart attack. He was 45.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11563
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/25/2019 4:44:14 PM   
MDK

Since being acquired from the Cleveland Indians prior to the July 31 trade deadline, Bauer (10-11) is 1/3 with a 7.62 ERA in five starts.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 11564
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/26/2019 8:51:28 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Since being acquired from the Cleveland Indians prior to the July 31 trade deadline, Bauer (10-11) is 1/3 with a 7.62 ERA in five starts.

Arm still hurts from flinging the ball into the CF seats
Karma seeks out douches, thankfully.
Post #: 11565
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/26/2019 9:41:56 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Cleveland knew what they were doing.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 11566
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/26/2019 11:59:57 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Cleveland knew what they were doing.

Yes, but how much is Bauer getting paid to suck?

Post #: 11567
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/28/2019 7:56:27 AM   
Mr. Ed

Royals are negotiating a team sale to Cleveland minority owner
Could top a Billion dollars

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11568
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/29/2019 9:56:12 AM   
twinsfan

Well, if the White Sox are going to sign Cole or Rendon or Bumgarner or ink Giolito or Moncada to long-term extensions or do just about anything to radically improve their long-term fortunes this offseason, spending the money will be necessary. They seem ready for that, and their inclusion in these early offseason rumors sets the stage for another aggressive winter.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11569
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/30/2019 8:34:40 AM   
twinsfan

The A's got a key insurance run on a weird play in the ninth inning of Thursday's 9-8 win over the Royals, when Kansas City third baseman Cheslor Cuthbert's momentum carried him into Oakland's dugout after catching Corban Joseph's foul popup.

Cuthbert made a great grab leaning over the entrance to the visitor's dugout at Kauffman Stadium, but the catch forced him to jump down the dugout stairs. By rule, when a fielder steps or falls into an out-of-play area after making a catch, the ball is dead and all runners are allowed to advance one base.

The A's had Seth Brown on third and Jurickson Profar on second at the time, so Brown came in to score and Profar went to third. Brown's run extended Oakland's lead to 9-7, which proved to be the difference once the Royals rallied for one run in the bottom of the ninth.

"I knew it right away, but you don't see it very often," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "[Third-base umpire Chris Segal] was right on it. That's a huge play, obviously, to get that second run."

Brown said he was aware of the rule, as were the rest of his teammates in the dugout, most of whom immediately pointed to home plate after watching Cuthbert land on their side.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11570
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/30/2019 8:37:14 AM   
twinsfan

Tough break. Not much he could have done other than let the ball drop.

https://www.mlb.com/news/a-s-get-insurance-run-after-odd-play

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11571
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/30/2019 9:08:54 AM   
MDK

A's playing good baseball and getting lucky. A good combination for the playoffs

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 11572
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/30/2019 10:00:02 AM   
Mr. Ed

Escobar 4th switch hitter in ML history

30 + homers
20+doubles
10+ triples
In one season

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11573
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/30/2019 10:01:54 AM   
Mr. Ed

Castillo and Dotel cleared in D R trafficking case

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11574
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/30/2019 10:15:52 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Castillo and Dotel cleared in D R trafficking case

Wonder why they were falsely accused?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11575
Page:   <<   < prev  461 462 [463] 464 465   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  461 462 [463] 464 465   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode