Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  216 217 [218] 219 220   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/16/2018 12:45:07 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Report says Shurmur will be the Giants' new coach.

Eli stays, that gives MN a shot at keeping the glass slippers on Cinderella full time.

Was interesting yesterday, Teddy was inactive, so Bradford was the backup if Keenum got hurt.

Heard Shurmur was going there a month ago and talked about it.
Was told I was crazy.
Yeah, but ....

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 1/16/2018 12:49:28 AM >
Post #: 5426
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/16/2018 6:19:19 AM   
TJSweens

I routinely tell you you're crazy, but it had nothing to do with that prediction.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5427
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/16/2018 6:29:49 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I routinely tell you you're crazy, but it had nothing to do with that prediction.

Yeah, but .......
Post #: 5428
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/16/2018 9:52:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

See a story about pressure to fire Tomlin in PITT

Someone else will love to scoop him up. Would be stupid

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5429
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/16/2018 10:26:42 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

See a story about pressure to fire Tomlin in PITT

Someone else will love to scoop him up. Would be stupid

Hated losing him
Have always thought he was really good.
Post #: 5430
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/17/2018 5:44:22 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Wow, I actually gotta disagree with you guys a bit (doesn't happen much). I think he's a decent coach who was hired by a great org and fell in to a once in a decade great QB. HE certainly think he's great.
Post #: 5431
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/17/2018 9:13:57 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Wow, I actually gotta disagree with you guys a bit (doesn't happen much). I think he's a decent coach who was hired by a great org and fell in to a once in a decade great QB. HE certainly think he's great.

I’m a Tomlin guy.
Too Good for Too Long to be anything but very good.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 5432
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/17/2018 9:19:09 PM   
Phil Riewer

Once Pitt lost Shazier they where in trouble....the GM has acquired tons of talent but not enough depth on defense.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5433
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/18/2018 8:19:17 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I’m a Tomlin guy.
Too Good for Too Long to be anything but very good.

Agreed. I always liked Tomlin.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5434
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/18/2018 10:56:51 AM   
MDK

http://www.startribune.com/reusse-five-moments-in-vikings-history-that-left-me-bug-eyed/469784583/

Nice article about the Vikings over the many years

Five moments in Vikings history that left me bug-eyed
A few Vikings moments leave us with those 'How in the Wide World of Sports did this happen' impressions.

Patrick Reusse

The Vikings assembled for a first practice on July 7, 1961, in the leafy summer days of Bemidji. The season opener was 72 days in the distance, on Sept. 17, 1961, against the Chicago Bears at Met Stadium.

There was five exhibition games from Aug. 5 to Sept. 10, all losses, including 30-7 to the Bears in early September in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. This was a time when rosters were small. The players you were going to see in the regular season also were playing long minutes in the exhibitions.

Readers of the Twin Cities newspapers were told often as the exhibition losses mounted that this was the reality of being the newest of 14 NFL teams, and to be patient.

Heck, if coach Norm Van Brocklin had been more of an excuse-maker, he could have described tha inaugural season as “Year Zero.”
Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs celebrates in the end zone after a making the game-winning touchdown against the New Orleans Saints. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)
Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs celebrates in the end zone after a making the game-winning touchdown against the New Orleans Saints. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)

The theory then was an NFL team needed an experienced quarterback to show any level of competence. Way back in January, before the expansion draft, General Manager Bert Rose traded the Vikings’ first-rounder in the 1962 draft to the New York Giants for George Shaw.

Even with Shaw, 28 and a former No. 1 overall selection in 1955, there was little in the way of expectation when the Vikings met the Bears on that fine Sunday in September.

Shaw started, completed two of three passes for 22 yards and the Vikings were leading 3-0. A couple of drives had been mishandled, in Van Brocklin’s opinion, and he switched to rookie Fran Tarkenton in the second quarter.

The term “scrambler” came to football on that afternoon. Tarkenton darted around, with fearsome Bears such as end Doug Atkins lumbering in hapless pursuit. Tarkenton went 17-for-23 for 250 yards and four touchdowns, and the Vikings embarrassed the Bears 37-13.

Watching in Fulda, Minn., on KELO-TV, Channel 11, from Sioux Falls, I looked bug-eyed at the Philco console with one thought: “How in the Wide, Wide World of Sports did this happen?”

We are in the 57th season of the Vikings, and for all the alleged heartbreak with what’s largely been a winning franchise, I’ve had five of those moments watching the Vikings.

I’m not talking about Blair Walsh missing a chip-shot field goal, or Brett Favre throwing an interception on a short pass over the middle, or Drew Pearson pushing away Nate Wright to eliminate the ’75 Vikings, or even Ahmad Rashad gathering Tommy Kramer’s Hail Mary to put the ’80 Vikings in the playoffs.

I’m not talking about being surprised. That’s not the standard here. I’m talking about being absolutely stunned by what had been witnessed, whether on a black-and-white Philco, in person or on a modern wide screen.

My five moments of stunned disbelief in 57 seasons, chronologically:

Sept. 17, 1961: Tarkenton runs Bears ragged in Vikings’ first game ever.

Jan. 11, 1970: Joe Kapp. That unmovable defense. I’m telling you, from the Twin Cities to the Minnesota hinterlands, there was no doubt the Vikings would defeat Kansas City and win Super Bowl IV.

In retrospect, Kansas City was loaded with exceptional talent and Hall of Famers, but at the time … our mighty collection that had scored 379 points and allowed 133 in a 12-2 season being dominated 23-7 by the Chiefs was incomprehensible.

Jan. 9, 1988: The 1987 season was a mess because of three games played by strikebreakers that counted in the standings. The Vikings went 0-3 in those; they lost on Saturday of the final weekend and needed a St. Louis Cardinals loss the following day to back into the playoffs.

They went to New Orleans and throttled the Saints 44-10. OK, that was the Saints.

A week later, on Jan. 9, the Vikings went to San Francisco to face the dynastic 49ers. Anthony Carter caught 10 passes for 227 yards, Joe Montana was booed off the field after throwing a pick six to Najee Mustafa, and the Vikings won 36-24. Burnsie’s long shots just missed the Super Bowl, losing at Washington 17-10.

Jan. 17, 1999: Minnesotans were as certain of these Vikings beating Atlanta in the NFC Championship Game in the Metrodome as we were of beating the Chiefs three decades earlier. I can’t forget Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe saying to me pregame in the press box, “It’s bad karma that Gary Anderson hasn’t missed a field goal. That could come into play.”

How did he know?

Jan. 14, 2018: Stefon Diggs is running down the sideline for a touchdown. There is no Saints defender left to beat. This is on a large TV carrying endless stations but the question is the same as 57 years earlier in front of the Philco:

“How in the Wide, Wide World of Sports did this happen?”

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 5435
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/18/2018 2:49:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Burnsie’s long shots just missed the Super Bowl, losing at Washington 17-10.

Wade Wilson throws a pass toward Disco Darin that in this era probably draws a flag. No flag, Vikes lose inside the 10 yard line.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5436
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/18/2018 9:57:31 PM   
ewen21

The reactions on You TUbe to the Diggs touchdown is something else. I saw a compilation of Saints fans and this kid had the funniest response. He was videoing the thing and wanted to show the Saints win to his friends. The play unfolded and this kid almost puked. Then he ran toward his closet and the camera followed him. He started tearing through his closet and then....

He yelled:
"Somebody is going to die today!"

I was hysterical but I did feel for the kid. Priceless reaction

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 5437
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/18/2018 10:30:41 PM   
ewen21

This is like Kirk Gibson.

Imagine Vin Scully calling that play

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 5438
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 8:36:52 AM   
twinsfan

I already shared this dream on the Vikes board, but since a bunch of you guys remember my dad I'll post it here too.

I had a very vivid dream last night about the upcoming game in Philly. I don't post this here because I think it's what's actually going to happen. But just in case it does, I figured it's best to get it posted for my own peace of mind. What I enjoyed about this dream was that I was watching the game with my dad and my uncle (my mom's sister's husband). My dad passed away over 10 years ago. My uncle Ernie is alive and well, currently living in Brooklyn Park. I don't see him too often anymore. Anyway...the experience of watching the game felt so real. But as dreams go, I don't have many details other than this. We go to overtime tied at 24. The Eagles win the coin toss. Jay Ajayi gets loose and runs for a long TD....like 70 yards or something. We lose 30-24. My dad goes to the other room and just sits on the couch with his chin in his hands, staring at the wall. My uncle sits quietly in the TV room and shakes his head. I know this is a far-fetched dream because the score seems too high. But I guess you never know...look at JAX vs PIT last weekend.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5439
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 9:26:31 AM   
Lynn G.

Boy I sure wish that dream of yours had a better ending.

I like Mike Zimmer's dream better.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 5440
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 11:29:32 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I already shared this dream on the Vikes board, but since a bunch of you guys remember my dad I'll post it here too.

I had a very vivid dream last night about the upcoming game in Philly. I don't post this here because I think it's what's actually going to happen. But just in case it does, I figured it's best to get it posted for my own peace of mind. What I enjoyed about this dream was that I was watching the game with my dad and my uncle (my mom's sister's husband). My dad passed away over 10 years ago. My uncle Ernie is alive and well, currently living in Brooklyn Park. I don't see him too often anymore. Anyway...the experience of watching the game felt so real. But as dreams go, I don't have many details other than this. We go to overtime tied at 24. The Eagles win the coin toss. Jay Ajayi gets loose and runs for a long TD....like 70 yards or something. We lose 30-24. My dad goes to the other room and just sits on the couch with his chin in his hands, staring at the wall. My uncle sits quietly in the TV room and shakes his head. I know this is a far-fetched dream because the score seems too high. But I guess you never know...look at JAX vs PIT last weekend.

Don't post this on the Vikings forum or something bad may happen to you.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 5441
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 11:36:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN
quote:

LOL....he loves stirring.

Post #: 5442
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 1:10:25 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the warning. I only received one (very) disrespectful post that actually did sting quite a bit. But life goes on for me.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5443
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 1:12:07 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the warning. I only received one (very) disrespectful post that actually did sting quite a bit. But life goes on for me.

Hard to tell if it was really a dream or you made it up to stir the pot Matt....lol I still can't tell either way.

Post #: 5444
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 1:20:25 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hard to tell if it was really a dream or you made it up to stir the pot Matt....lol I still can't tell either way.

I really had that dream.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5445
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 1:32:39 PM   
TJSweens

Interesting. What did you eat before bed?

Post #: 5446
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 1:41:37 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Interesting. What did you eat before bed?

Salad with grilled chicken and ranch. Why does it matter?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5447
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 1:44:27 PM   
TJSweens

You've never heard of the concept of you eat before bed affecting your dreams?

BTW, kudos on the heart healthy choice.

Post #: 5448
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/19/2018 2:28:51 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

You've never heard of the concept of you eat before bed affecting your dreams?

BTW, kudos on the heart healthy choice.

Fat-free ranch too.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5449
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/20/2018 1:18:07 PM   
CPAMAN

Eagles 19, Vikings 16

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 5450
Page:   <<   < prev  216 217 [218] 219 220   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  216 217 [218] 219 220   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode