Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  220 221 [222] 223 224   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 2/12/2018 10:00:24 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22349868/the-family-tennessee-titans-legend-steve-mcnair-left-behind

Great story about the widow of Steve McNair and her two sons.

Great article, Miles. Great kids and a great mother. A story about them. And moving on, but not forgetting. Steve made mistakes, but was for the most part a great father, a good man and a mediocre husband. But not a miserable guy. He messed up...big time...and it sounds like he messed up many times before. His wife has amazing forgiveness. Those kids will go places, and so much of if is because of mom.

Been mulling this one over for a good long time.
Thanks for sharing Miles, I went into ESPN and read it. A couple times.
ESPN does a great job with these type of stories, their E60 creations are often the best stuff on TV, imo.
But this one bugs me.
Cannot agree more with you on her strength, her childrens excellent emergence from their dad's huge shadow, etc , but ...
The complete story itself leaves me sad and upset that Steve is still allowed to be looked at as some sort of hero by some.
When your true character is laid bare, and the real you emerges, and it unfortunately shows you to be a lying cheating asshole to people that love you, then maybe it should just be told that way.
These are strong kids and a strong woman, who were lied to and cheated on and left to fend for themselves.
Just saying they shouldn't look at him like a superhero who was tired and weak in front of them, yet pulled it together in front of others.
Was he too weak and beat up to run across town and cheat with some little young hot thing/ No, he wasn't. He obviously didn't burden his cute little thing with his pain, with his tiredness, with his baggage.
He pulled it together when he wanted THAT, and that's what he was. A dog pretty much. And many men who cheat do not get caught, and won't suffer the same embarrassment to their legacy, but he did. It happened, and he should pay the price.
He made tons of money playing a game he loved, he fathered two great sons, and found himself a wonderful woman to guide his sons. And yet still had to be a dog.
Probably too harsh, but we all look at these issues differently. Imo, if you can't resist the urge, please clear your table FIRST.
Don't sweep your spouse and your children into the dirt pile. Let them walk away before you dump on them. Give them their dignity before your weaknesses almost ruin their lives.
Sorry, had to get it off my chest. Touchy subject with me, and I can luckily say I've probably been affected by cheating less than anyone I know. Not sure why it's such a thorn to me, but it is. The ultimate betrayal.
And I realize that wasn't the point of the story. Its a great story about two strong kids and one strong woman.
Thanks for sharing Miles.

I too had the same uneasy feelings about McNair. As such, I stated that it was a great story about his widow and her kids.....not a great story about the husband.

What is troubling....the juxtaposition of McNair's friends. After his death, they have filled a father void for the two sons. And that is commendable.

But I wonder where his friends were when McNair was cheating on his spouse. Perhaps he kept it secret from them....teammates, friends, etc. Unfortunately, they probably knew. And probably turned their heads on his infidelity.

And that is too bad. While it might not be a friend's role to judge, I find it hard to stay friends with someone I know is cheating on their spouse. Same as spousal abuse which is in the press today. I just don't believe this goes unknown to the people around the problem.

I agree with what you posted SMF.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 5526
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 2/12/2018 2:29:48 PM   
SoMnFan

And I with you.
Was in no way doubting why you posted it
Was just railing into the wind about society’s take not yours personally.
Great story of perseverance and triumph over tragedy
Post #: 5527
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 2/20/2018 5:52:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

Today is first day you can franchise tag players.

Franchise Case Keenum?

NO

Please NO

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5528
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 2/20/2018 7:00:11 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Today is first day you can franchise tag players.

Franchise Case Keenum?

NO

Please NO

Time to pop some tags.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5529
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 2/20/2018 7:00:29 PM   
twinsfan

I'm so hip.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5530
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 2/26/2018 1:38:26 PM   
SoMnFan

Edging closer to Cousins, Sweens!
Post #: 5531
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 2/26/2018 1:38:52 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I'm so hip.

Its kinda tragic.
Post #: 5532
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 2/26/2018 1:46:50 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

That would be something. A Minnesota sports franchise actually stepping up with risk and money and signing the big name who could put them over the top.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5533
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 2/26/2018 1:57:04 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

That would be something. A Minnesota sports franchise actually stepping up with risk and money and signing the big name who could put them over the top.

ELIZABETH!!!!! ELIZABETH !!!!!!!!!
Post #: 5534
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/1/2018 1:03:29 PM   
Mr. Ed

On March 14, Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford are slated to become free agents. All three are "definitely" options to consider, according to Zimmer. Finding a QB in free agency or in the NFL draft are also possibilities.

But picking the wrong one? That's Zimmer's trepidation.

"If you go with the right one and he does like you anticipate, then everything is good," Zimmer said. "If you pick the wrong one, it's hard to win in this league without a quarterback. If you pick the wrong one, this whole thing can go downhill."

The Vikings coach later followed up in his second media session at the NFL scouting combine with exactly what's at stake if Minnesota doesn't nail this crucial decision.

"It's important for myself and [general manager] Rick [Spielman] and the organization to pick the right guy that is going to help us continue to move forward," Zimmer said. "If we don't do that, then I'll probably be fired."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5535
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/2/2018 5:53:46 AM   
Mr. Ed

3. As always, Mike Zimmer tells it like it is. The Minnesota Vikings head coach was candid on his decision to block interview requests for quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski: “Loyalty to me is a big thing. So I come in here four years ago and the offense is [ranked] 29th, 27th, 26th. But I kept them. So the first time our offense is pretty good, then I’m supposed to let all my coaches leave?”

Zimmer was equally as blunt in his assessment of former first-round pick Laquon Treadwell, who has 21 catches in his two seasons: “Treadwell is a guy that needs to get out of his own way. He thinks he’s doing the right things, but sometimes he goes about it the wrong way.”

Finally, Zimmer was realistic about the importance of the teams upcoming decision on a quarterback for 2018, with Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford in limbo: “If we don’t pick the right QB, I’ll probably get fired.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5536
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/2/2018 5:55:16 AM   
Mr. Ed

The final landing spot for Kirk Cousins is among the biggest stories of the NFL offseason, and according to many league insiders, perhaps the most likely — and arguably best-suited — team for Cousins to join is the Minnesota Vikings.

Now, a report suggests that the buzz around the NFL that Cousins becoming a Viking is bound to happen.

SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano, in a broader discussion concerning what the Jets may do at the quarterback position — as Cousins reportedly is being aggressively targeted by the team — offered up this nugget in a post for The Jets Blog:
There is rampant speculation around the league that Cousins is destined for Minnesota, where he’d replace journeyman Case Keenum on a team that just reached the NFC championship game.

Vacchiano goes on to note that the Jets have no chance of signing Cousins if winning immediately is the quarterback’s No. 1 priority. If that’s the case, it’s the Vikings, along with the Denver Broncos.
Redskins senior vice president of player personnel Doug Williams gave every indication Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine that Cousins will become a free agent, which was more or less a foregone conclusion given the trade for Alex Smith.

Cousins reportedly won’t agree on a deal until doing a free-agency tour, so it’s unlikely his ultimate destination will be known anytime soon. That said, NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt recently indicated that there’s “certainly interest” on both sides when it comes to Cousins and the Vikings.
The Vikings appear to be clearing their QB ranks, as Case Keenum (whom Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer doesn’t appear too high on), Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford are set to hit free agency. Does that mean Cousins is “destined” to join the Vikings? Perhaps, but oftentimes the moves that makes the most sense do not end up coming to fruition.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5537
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/9/2018 2:35:23 PM   
Mr. Ed

Brees reportedly in contract standoff w/Saints

how about 2 years in MN?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5538
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/13/2018 12:28:12 PM   
MDK

Latest on Cousins....sounds like a deal is in place with the Vikings

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22746875/former-washington-redskins-qb-kirk-cousins-plans-sign-3-year-84m-deal-minnesota-vikings-thursday

Keenum to sign with the Broncos

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22740371/former-minnesota-vikings-quarterback-case-keenum-intends-sign-denver-broncos

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 5539
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/13/2018 5:23:03 PM   
SoMnFan

Very very very cool to have ownership willing to spend money to try to win.
Post #: 5540
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/13/2018 6:56:17 PM   
McMurfy

A certain somebody goes on hiatus and the Twins sign a real starter
and the Vikings sign a real QB.

Did you take a piece and a paper to the collective owners and make them an offer they couldn’t refuse?

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 5541
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/13/2018 9:46:28 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Very very very cool to have ownership willing to spend money to try to win.

Exactly.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 5542
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/14/2018 7:46:40 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Did you take a piece and a paper to the collective owners and make them an offer they couldn’t refuse?

They were surprisingly receptive .....
Post #: 5543
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/14/2018 7:59:24 AM   
Mr. Ed

Te-te Teddy and the Jets
Denver gambles on Keenum
and somehow, Bradford and his bum knee, gets 20 mill/1 year in Az.

It's refreshing that the "top guy" is chased down by the Vikes.

It's refreshing some of the "better guys" were chased down by the Twins.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5544
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/14/2018 8:19:43 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Te-te Teddy and the Jets
Denver gambles on Keenum

Love how this played out.
But I guess we won't know how well, until next January
Post #: 5545
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/14/2018 8:21:59 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Te-te Teddy and the Jets
Denver gambles on Keenum

Better improve the line more
and the protection plans.

An injured Cousins would be disaster.

Will be curious how the brains will pick and choose which defensive players they keep.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5546
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/14/2018 8:26:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Te-te Teddy and the Jets
Denver gambles on Keenum

Better improve the line more
and the protection plans.

An injured Cousins would be disaster.

Will be curious how the brains will pick and choose which defensive players they keep.

Pretty busy hot stove and QB signing season...kind of nice this time of year. Amazing that the Vikings had the corner on the QB market too.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5547
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/14/2018 10:03:04 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Ziggy and Jimmy both woke up with a head of a horse in their beds

Post #: 5548
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/14/2018 10:16:19 AM   
SoMnFan

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you guys saw nothing .......
Post #: 5549
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 3/14/2018 11:10:40 AM   
TJSweens

I can't believe how much blow back their is from Vikings fans over signing Cousins (They done Case wrong). That's why I love this column from Shipley in the Pioneer Press. He hits it right on the head.

John Shipley: Vikings fans whining about Kirk Cousins need to stop.

Vikings fans whining about how their team has forsaken Case Keenum for a more expensive quarterback, stop right now. Your team has added the player they believe will push them back into the Super Bowl for the first time since 1977.

I happen to agree, but that is almost beside the point. General manager Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer pushed all their chips to the center of the table, and you should be pee-your-pants excited for next season.

It isn’t often a Minnesota team beats a big-market team like the New York Jets for the best available free agent in any sport, let alone football, but it appears the Vikings have done so. Additionally, Kirk Cousins isn’t just the best available free-agent quarterback this spring, he’s the best free-agent quarterback since Brett Favre and Peyton Manning switched teams in 2008 and 2013, respectively.

This isn’t to put Cousins is in that league quite yet, but he compares favorably to the best quarterback available after the 2005 season, a guy named Drew Brees, who after going 30-28 with 12,348 yards, 80 touchdowns and 53 interceptions in five seasons in San Diego signed with New Orleans. Four years later, he beat Favre and Minnesota in the NFC title game on the way to the Saints’ first Super Bowl title.

There’s your template.

The Vikings are the NFL’s “it” team, with the league’s best defense and a shiny new quarterback who not only can see over his offensive line but has passed for more than 4,000 yards in each of three as the Washington Redskins’ starting quarterback. The covers of all the preseason magazines will be purple.

Much can happen, of course, and the Vikings seem to have a penchant for signing quarterbacks whose knees are one awkward step from exploding, but Spielman has made the bold purchase at the right time.

Cousins’ numbers in six seasons in Washington, the past three as a starter, are as good as those of young Drew Brees. While his record is under .500 (26-30-1), he has passed for 16,206 yards, 99 touchdowns and 55 interceptions while completing more of his passes (65.5 percent to young Brees’ 62.2).

The Vikings made a brief, and perhaps cursory, run at wresting Brees from New Orleans on Monday. In Cousins, they might have gotten the Drew Brees of 13 years ago.

It’s hard to believe there is a fan base anywhere else in the NFL that would excoriate such a move, and it’s painfully ironic that many lamenting the decision are the same people who in the summer can’t go two weeks without calling the Pohlads tightwads; now, suddenly, they’re worried about having enough money to re-sign Jeremiah Sirles and extend Anthony Barr’s contract.

Yes, there is no salary cap in baseball, but who’s zooming who? You are not a capologist and it’s not your money. It’s smart to think ahead, but it’s smarter to see your chance and jump on it. With the NFL’s first entirely guaranteed contract since Dan Marino’s more than three decades ago — a reported three years for $84 million — Spielman and the Vikings have jumped head first.

Cousins now has Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen to throw to and, presumably, Dalvin Cook to hand off to; all he has to do for a solid Vikings offense to improve is be himself.

Meanwhile in Denver, Broncos fans still hurting over losing Kyle Sloter last fall are praying to Saint Sebastian that Keenum isn’t the quarterback he’s been for all but one glorious season of his six-year NFL career. In New York, Jets fans are crouched in the closet, telling themselves Teddy Bridgewater is ready to blossom despite playing two series in two years because of a catastrophic left knee injury.

Maybe that’s all the case, but which fan would you rather be right now?

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 3/14/2018 11:11:46 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5550
Page:   <<   < prev  220 221 [222] 223 224   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  220 221 [222] 223 224   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode