ORIGINAL: Matt Dahl
Is the decline in NASCAR's ratings due more to 1)Jimmie Johnson being the most bland champion in the history of sport (with apologies to Lennox Lewis) or 2)the Car of Tomorrow's failure to provide exciting and competitive racing?
I think there are many factors that have contributed to the decline in tv ratings....
- The COT. It does make for a more boring race.
- The length of the race, including the pre-race show, make for a really long event.
- The later start times, plus more saturday night races, hurt viewership on the east coast.
- The mega teams. People love the little guy or underdog. Those days are gone.
- Little E. The most popular driver in Nascar simply has not got it done.
- Nascar itself. They went "hollywood" some years ago, went for the big dollars, and picked up lots of casual fans. But I think they lost some of the hardcore fanbase. Now it's starting to bite them.
Just my $0.02...