Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 9/9/2016 10:33:59 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

My understanding of Kaep's protest is that we are a racist oppressive nation to people of color. Is that wrong?

Yes.

quote:

What is the proof that Trump is a racist? If there was actual proof I don't buy that he would be getting support. ...

There's a huge trail, going back at least as far as refusal to rent to black people in the 70's. It's not even remotely challenging to find example after example. Public testimony about American Indians, etc.

As far as political support, there's been huge amounts of political science research showing that they factor that explains support for Trump is "white resentment" politics. And I can't believe you missed his broad characterization of Mexican immigrants as "racists and murderers," which led off his campaign. It's been a steady stream ever since.

OK what is Kaepernick's stance. I read his words stating that America is an oppressive nation to people of color, but that is NOT his stance?? Maybe his stance was misrepresented by the media, but I do know that not standing for our anthem is disrespecting our nation.

What is the truth. I read JC's claim that the average white family has 22 times the wealth of the average Black family then I read Bigo qiving census figures that it's 8-5. I don't trust that much of anyone really wants the truth. I know how politics work and it's dirty. That is why when people make racist claims I don't believe them. I'm done commenting on Kaep and Trump or Clinton. Back to football only.

JC referenced wealth, bigo referenced income. There's a big difference.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 376
RE: Other NFL News - 9/9/2016 10:52:58 AM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

OK what is Kaepernick's stance. I read his words stating that America is an oppressive nation to people of color, but that is NOT his stance??

I've seen that generic summary coverage, too. And he's addressed a wide range of issues over the last year. But his recent comments have been directed primarily at rogue cops. For example, he tweeted that he has several uncles and friends who are policemen, and their job is made more difficult and dangerous because of rogue cops who undermine police-community trust.

And one of his examples is when some friends were moving out of an apartment, someone called the cops who showed up, no knock, guns drawn. That's a pretty high-stress encounter. Ever happen to you? Do you get stopped repeatedly by the cops, like Senator Tim Scott (R-SC)?

But the responses I've read here are just shocking. Like because he might have been publicly adopted, he owes the country (never mind that his public/private adoption status wasn't even known by the writer). Or that he'd go broke and be on the "dole," so he should be grateful now. Or that he must address black-on-black violence because someone else decided it's important — as if he contributed to that problem in any way.

The blowback is pretty amazing, for "disrespect." (I'm sure you do not intend — or even hear — how that word echoes master/slave and Jim Crow and white supremacy, but it does. I suggest alternate phrasing, if you can manage.) It's not as if he's engaged in some act of vandalism, like dumping tea into a harbor. Or paraded around, heavily armed, threatening to kill public officials. He chose to sit out the national anthem to convey that he feels left out. And then, at the behest of a long snapper/vet friend who was beside him last week, switched to kneeling. A reverent protest?

I'll quote the Army Times article again.

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/nate-boyer-colin-kaepernick-commentary-flag-national-anthem-protest-nfl

quote:

Even though my initial reaction to your protest was one of anger, I’m trying to listen to what you’re saying and why you’re doing it. When I told my mom about this article, she cautioned me that “the last thing our country needed right now was more hate.” As usual, she’s right.

There are already plenty people fighting fire with fire, and it’s just not helping anyone or anything. So I’m just going to keep listening, with an open mind.
I look forward to the day you’re inspired to once again stand during our national anthem. I’ll be standing right there next to you.

This country has come a long ways, over the last 70 years. But it hasn't crossed the River Jordan.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 377
RE: Other NFL News - 9/9/2016 10:58:44 AM   
JT2

Good stuff David.
Post #: 378
RE: Other NFL News - 9/9/2016 11:06:41 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

My understanding of Kaep's protest is that we are a racist oppressive nation to people of color. Is that wrong?

Yes.

quote:

What is the proof that Trump is a racist? If there was actual proof I don't buy that he would be getting support. ...

There's a huge trail, going back at least as far as refusal to rent to black people in the 70's. It's not even remotely challenging to find example after example. Public testimony about American Indians, etc.

As far as political support, there's been huge amounts of political science research showing that they factor that explains support for Trump is "white resentment" politics. And I can't believe you missed his broad characterization of Mexican immigrants as "racists and murderers," which led off his campaign. It's been a steady stream ever since.

It was "rapists and murderers".

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 379
RE: Other NFL News - 9/9/2016 2:29:42 PM   
marty

I didn't see much of the game last night, am just curious if some of the shots to the head on Cam that were not flagged, were while he was in the pocket ???

I think the refs have a tendency to slightly favor the SB winner in the opener. It would make sense in this game that more money had been bet on Carolina, a revenge match after a big upset in the SB, and Denver starting a QB with no NFL regular season experience. Denver didn't cover the 3 point spread but did win the game. They only cover the spread if Denver could have gotten a turnover with points near the end. So Denver did have a chance to cover the spread.

Before the game, my gut was suspecting a Denver win, probably by a FG.
Post #: 380
RE: Other NFL News - 9/9/2016 3:10:50 PM   
David Levine

I'd be nervous if I was a Colt's fan:

quote:

The Indianapolis Colts returned to the practice field on Thursday, and once again quarterback Andrew Luck was only a limited participant due to his right shoulder.

Luck was also a limited participant on Wednesday, and during the open portion of practice today (which only includes individual drills) Luck only conducted handoffs while Scott Tolzien handled the throwing duties. Offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski said today that he “absolutely” expects Luck to play on Sunday, while general manager Ryan Grigson appeared on 1070 the Fan today and denied a report that Luck has labrum fraying, saying instead that limiting him in practice is simply part of the plan. So what we’re hearing certainly seems to indicate that it’s nothing serious and that it’s simply precautionary, but it’s just a strange situation and one that wasn’t expected this week. It’s certainly something worth paying attention to moving forward.

It might not be anything, but Luck was clearly not himself last year - even before the kidney injury that ended his season.
Post #: 381
RE: Other NFL News - 9/9/2016 4:21:03 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Yes.

quote:

It was "rapists and murderers".

Oops. Autocorrect from a mistype. I'll fix it.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 382
RE: Other NFL News - 9/9/2016 7:04:22 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes.

quote:

OK what is Kaepernick's stance. I read his words stating that America is an oppressive nation to people of color, but that is NOT his stance?? Maybe his stance was misrepresented by the media, but I do know that not standing for our anthem is disrespecting our nation.

What is the truth. I read JC's claim that the average white family has 22 times the wealth of the average Black family then I read Bigo qiving census figures that it's 8-5. I don't trust that much of anyone really wants the truth. I know how politics work and it's dirty. That is why when people make racist claims I don't believe them. I'm done commenting on Kaep and Trump or Clinton. Back to football only.

I guess both can be true. Curious about the reasons it's 8:5 income and 22:1 wealth. Is it because the white households have more "old money"? Is it because the differences in income does not allow black families a cushion for saving? IMO the important stat is income, as income leads to wealth. Moreso than wealth leads to income.
Post #: 383
RE: Other NFL News - 9/11/2016 8:11:23 AM   
Ricky J

5 things to look for as you zebra watch this season

It’s here. It’s time. As the games kick off today, here’s what I’m watching.

Will there be fewer administrative errors this year? There is a new protocol this season where the replay official or Dean Blandino can consult with the referee to correct any rules misapplication, missed down or timing error. NFL rules are complex–especially penalty enforcements and timing rules. Hopefully this arrangement will cut down on high-profile rules mistakes.

Will any player be ejected for two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls? In the offseason, the NFL stated that if any player is flagged for two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls they are automatically disqualified. This brings the NFL into line with the NCAA and high school rules codes. Officials do their best to keep players in the game, but the NFL wants to crack down on unsportsmanlike conduct. The front office has given NFL officials tools to enforce good sportsmanship. Will they use it?

How hard will it be to clean up the sideline? The NFL has had it with head and assistant coach on-field histrionics. This year, the only time the rules allow the head coach on the field is to call a time-out and to check on the welfare of a player. Assistant coaches are never allowed on the field, even during a dead ball period. Let’s see if there is a spike in unsportsmanlike conduct fouls called on coaches who cannot stay off the field.

Is this the last year of seven-man crews? The NFL has had a seven-man officiating crew for 38-years. This preseason, the league experimented with an eighth official–the middle judge. This is a brand new position. Will the NFL decide to add an eighth official? Will any existing officials become a middle judge? If the middle judge that means there will 17 new hires in the off-season.

Who will work Super Bowl LI? It’s a fun exercise every season. Fans predict their favorite’s teams record. I predict the officiating crew for the Super Bowl. Here is my crew:

Referee–Gene Steratore
Umpire–Dan Ferrell
Head Linesman–Jeff Bergman
Line Judge–Gary Arthur
Field Judge–Mike Weatherford
Side Judge–Rob Vernatchi
Back Judge–Terrance Miles
As referee Red Cashion used to say after every coin toss, “Gentlemen, let’s play football!”

http://www.footballzebras.com/2016/09/11/5-things-to-look-for-as-you-zebra-watch-this-season/
Post #: 384
RE: Other NFL News - 9/11/2016 8:14:07 AM   
JTC2017

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes.

quote:

It is NOT a big difference

In both wealth and income Whites have over 20X what Blacks have

ANd it has gotten worse over the past decade

Big O doesn't know shit and never has

All he does is make smart ass comments to hide his incredible lack of knowledge

I post facts
Post #: 385
RE: Other NFL News - 9/11/2016 8:17:16 AM   
JTC2017

Educate yourself on why so many Blacks are so upset

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/21/news/economy/black-white-inequality/

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/12/12/racial-wealth-gaps-great-recession/

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/24/news/economy/blacks-whites-inequality/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/08/28/these-seven-charts-show-the-black-white-economic-gap-hasnt-budged-in-50-years/
Post #: 386
RE: Other NFL News - 9/11/2016 9:23:12 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: JTC2017

Educate yourself on why so many Blacks are so upset

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/21/news/economy/black-white-inequality/

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/12/12/racial-wealth-gaps-great-recession/

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/24/news/economy/blacks-whites-inequality/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/08/28/these-seven-charts-show-the-black-white-economic-gap-hasnt-budged-in-50-years/

JC I am going to dare to address this.

the numbers in your links do NOT bear out your 20 to 1 ratios for either wealth or income. Wealth tends to be between 10 and 20 times so that isn't that far off. That is net worth if I understand it right. Household incomes are quite significantly higher for White Households but not even double. White households tend to be more 2 parent than Black households. That I would guess accounts for a good part of the difference.
Blacks are incarcerated far more often than Whites and Blacks have around double the unemployment rates as whites. That would account for more of the difference. How do we as a society fix this? Does the primarily white legislature need to pass laws forcing more distribution of wealth and income? Or is it better left to the Black community to fix this themselves? Do you have any answers JC? Asians despite being a very small minority in our country tend to have more income than whites. Jews are another minority that tends to do better. So it is possible for minorities to do very well.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 387
RE: Other NFL News - 9/16/2016 2:04:09 PM   
kgdabom

I love this bit I found on RotoWorld.

Bills promoted Anthony Lynn to offensive coordinator.

Lynn is a Rex Ryan guy from New York, where he previously coached running backs for the Jets. His old title with Buffalo was assistant head coach/running backs. The Bills needed someone to blame for Rex's inability to stop offenses, so they fired Greg Roman and gave Lynn -- Rex's longtime buddy -- his job. All of these guys are going to get fired after the season, if not before it ends.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 388
RE: Other NFL News - 9/17/2016 8:28:44 PM   
kgdabom

Dwyane Wade taking social action I can endorse.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17569550/dwyane-wade-challenges-athletes-move-symbolic-gestures-regarding-social-issues

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 389
RE: Other NFL News - 9/21/2016 9:20:03 PM   
Ricky J

Kevin Seifert ‏@SeifertESPN 3m3 minutes ago
Spicy, annoyed Aaron Rodgers appeared today in Green Bay, which is the best Aaron Rodgers. 13 minutes worth #Packers

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Rodgers-Gotta-take-care-of-business/9d464ddd-9629-4973-9099-fad8d39fab73
Post #: 390
RE: Other NFL News - 9/21/2016 9:25:06 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

yawn....

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 391
RE: Other NFL News - 9/22/2016 2:19:55 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

yawn....

I never even listened to it.

I did see a gif where his undies looked like they were getting bunched up, though.

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 9/22/2016 2:41:40 PM >
Post #: 392
RE: Other NFL News - 9/28/2016 9:13:19 PM   
Ricky J

Carl Eller to Colin Kaepernick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhO5rcfEaDs
Post #: 393
RE: Other NFL News - 10/7/2016 8:32:21 AM   
Ricky J

NE @ Clé - actually heard someone on ch 88 say Cleveland could win this game

Phi @ Det - will Det spoil the hoopla of MN/PHIL meeting as undefeateds?
Chi @ Indy -

Tenn @ Mia - phish fry?

Wash @ Balt - Cousins getting married, ain't good
Hou @ MN -

NYJ @ Pitt - shut out one week to a good game the next enough to move Pitt ahead of MN in ESPN rankings

But @ LA - interesting game; is this the week the Rams are who we thought they were?

Cin @ Dal - Fn Bengals you better not lose this game!

SD @ Oak - huh

NYG @ GB - come on OBJ, you pussy, show us something

TB @ Car - Carolina can't lose this one? Can they?
Post #: 394
RE: Other NFL News - 10/7/2016 11:21:14 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

NE @ Clé - actually heard someone on ch 88 say Cleveland could win this game
i want some of what ever he is smoking. brady is gonna go OFF on cleavland...

Phi @ Det - will Det spoil the hoopla of MN/PHIL meeting as undefeateds?
Have you seen stafford play with out Megatron? The Bears and Hoyer look better than detroit.

Chi @ Indy -
hoyer actually maskes the bears better and Indy is a dumpster fire on all aspects of the game, Bears easy..

Tenn @ Mia - phish fry?
@ home I think the Phins finally get their act together

Wash @ Balt - Cousins getting married, ain't good
Balt is still a tough out @home Washington is not up to it.

Hou @ MN -
no prediction for me....

NYJ @ Pitt - shut out one week to a good game the next enough to move Pitt ahead of MN in ESPN rankings
Pitt @ home with Raplistburger and Antonio Brown.. not even close..

But @ LA - interesting game; is this the week the Rams are who we thought they were?
I picked over 95% of home teams this week.. this is another one

Cin @ Dal - Fn Bengals you better not lose this game!
see above

SD @ Oak - huh
Until SD can close out a game and hold a lead.. I'm picking against them especially in division

NYG @ GB - come on OBJ, you pussy, show us something
GB is coming off a by and NYG are majorly distracted and Their coach is an excuse making never was.. GB easy@ home..

TB @ Car - Carolina can't lose this one? Can they?
they could , but not to TB..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 10/7/2016 11:23:53 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 395
RE: Other NFL News - 10/7/2016 2:41:34 PM   
SoMnFan

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers on Friday released starting cornerback Bene' Benwikere, less than a week after the team gave up 300 yards receiving to Atlanta's Julio Jones.

Benwikere's roster spot was filled by cornerback Zack Sanchez, who was signed from the practice squad. The Panthers host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday night.

Benwikere was credited by Pro Football Focus with giving up 220 of Jones' 300 yards.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said the staff discussed where it was with the secondary over the past couple of days and "decided to move on."

"We've got a group of young guys that we're looking to play and get them out on the football field,'' Rivera said. "It's something we feel we needed to do as we go forward.

A fifth-round pick in 2014, Benwikere started 14 games for Carolina over the past three seasons. His 2015 season ended after he suffered a fractured leg during a December game against Atlanta.

Benwikere began training camp on the physically unable to perform list, but he returned to earn a starting job. He started all four games at outside corner, but admitted after Sunday's 48-33 loss to Atlanta that his conditioning wasn't the best.

"I started out doing well, but it's kind of like after that I started to get tired and get out of breath,'' Benwikere said.

Rivera would not address whether Benwikere's conditioning was a factor.

Sanchez was one of three cornerbacks drafted by Carolina this past season in an attempt to replace 2015 Pro Bowl selection Josh Norman, now with Washington. The fifth-round pick out of Oklahoma was among the final roster cuts after training camp, then re-signed to the practice squad.

The roster moves, along with a toe injury that will keep rookie corner James Bradberry sidelined against Tampa Bay, means the Panthers will go with three new starters in the secondary against the Buccaneers.

Veteran Michael Griffin is expected to replace Tre Boston as the free safety. Robert McClain and rookie Daryl Worley are expected to start at outside corner.

"We're trying to put it together so we can move forward,'' Rivera said. "It's a big part of retooling this football team. It's tough. It's one of those things. Until we get it right in terms of players on the field and things we can call, put them in position to have success, we've just got to keep working through it.

"We will. That's just the way it is.''

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 396
RE: Other NFL News - 10/7/2016 2:45:42 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers on Friday released starting cornerback Bene' Benwikere, less than a week after the team gave up 300 yards receiving to Atlanta's Julio Jones.

Benwikere was credited by Pro Football Focus with giving up 220 of Jones' 300 yards.

His 2015 season ended after he suffered a fractured leg during a December game against Atlanta.

This guy must have nightmares about Atlanta.
Post #: 397
RE: Other NFL News - 10/7/2016 4:14:40 PM   
JC2015

Carolina is too cheap to win a title

They lucked up last year

I don't know how their GM stays employed

Let Steve Smith walk
Josh Norman walk

mediocre offensive line
mediocre secondary

yet claims to be competing

If the Vikings don't make the playoffs this year Zimmer and Spielman should be gone
Post #: 398
RE: Other NFL News - 10/7/2016 4:33:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

Insult to injury

Newton fined 9K for taunting LB that lit him up later in game.
Post #: 399
RE: Other NFL News - 10/7/2016 6:27:15 PM   
David Levine

Josh McCown ‏@JoshMcCown12 1h1 hour ago
When your daughter has jersey day at school and she doesn't have enough friends to wear all the teams #2missing

< Message edited by David Levine -- 10/7/2016 6:28:44 PM >
Post #: 400
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode