Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 5/27/2016 11:04:54 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

quote:

The testing of the footballs and finding them under inflated I would consider evidence. Not saying irrefutable but certainly evidence.

There is not a single scientifically credible piece of evidence to demonstrate that the balls were actually deflated by a person, rather than the elements. The physics is clear, and replicable - a ball will lose that amount of pressure when subjected to the wet, cold conditions of the sort at the time of the game.

I don't buy that at all. The amount of deflation was above the standard pressure loss or the NFL would have never made an issue of it. My experience with footballs is they deflate very little over the course of the game.

Could you explain that in terms of the Ideal Gas Equation/Law?

Funny.

This is such bullsiht. If you hate NE because of their success you want them to fry. If you like them or have the ability to be objective you think this is so stupid.

I will admit to a dislike of the Patriots. Mostly because their dynasty began with the most bullshit call in the history of the NFL even if it was correct according to the ridiculous tuck rule. Also because they are blatant cheaters.

However, just like with Brad if I see them being unfairly accused I will defend them. I see no cause to defend them. I have plenty of experience with footballs. The deflation in the course of a game is negligible unless we are talking sub zero temps. I don't buy the supposed science that you are buying into. If what you are saying is the actual science than why in hell would the NFL be prosecuting the case. IF it was actual solid science why would anyone be accusing the Patriots of cheating? You really think the NFL has that great of a bias against the Patriots to be prosecuting this case if that was valid science?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/27/2016 11:11:11 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 51
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 7:13:22 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I also admit that the Patriots are the team that I love to hate. If the Vikings lose, I'm sad, but if the Patriots lose too, I'm thinking that things are not so bad. Really.

So, with regard to the deflate-gate controversy, I do believe in rules and the "rule of law". I would side with the commissioner on this issue regardless of which team it involved with the only exception of my Vikings. That's just how I roll. For example, I am very sympathetic with police officers right now. I think that they have a very difficult job and they are getting compromised with their authority. I don't care for that. So you can see, that's just how I think.

Why do I hate the Patriots? Number one because they have been superbly successful. I admit that I'm jealous. Nevertheless, if their coach wasn't so smug and arrogant, it would be easier to tolerate them. I suppose that he deserves to be smug and arrogant. Nevertheless, I root for the Patriots opponent every week. Even if it is the Packers.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 52
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 8:18:28 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I also admit that the Patriots are the team that I love to hate. If the Vikings lose, I'm sad, but if the Patriots lose too, I'm thinking that things are not so bad. Really.

So, with regard to the deflate-gate controversy, I do believe in rules and the "rule of law". I would side with the commissioner on this issue regardless of which team it involved with the only exception of my Vikings. That's just how I roll. For example, I am very sympathetic with police officers right now. I think that they have a very difficult job and they are getting compromised with their authority. I don't care for that. So you can see, that's just how I think.

Why do I hate the Patriots? Number one because they have been superbly successful. I admit that I'm jealous. Nevertheless, if their coach wasn't so smug and arrogant, it would be easier to tolerate them. I suppose that he deserves to be smug and arrogant. Nevertheless, I root for the Patriots opponent every week. Even if it is the Packers.

Slow down my friend. Let's not get carried away.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 53
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 1:53:06 PM   
thebigo

quote:

So, with regard to the deflate-gate controversy, I do believe in rules and the "rule of law". I would side with the commissioner on this issue regardless of which team it involved with the only exception of my Vikings. That's just how I roll. For example, I am very sympathetic with police officers right now. I think that they have a very difficult job and they are getting compromised with their authority.

How would you like Roger Goddell running your local law enforcement and judiciary?
Post #: 54
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 1:57:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The testing of the footballs and finding them under inflated I would consider evidence. Not saying irrefutable but certainly evidence.

There is not a single scientifically credible piece of evidence to demonstrate that the balls were actually deflated by a person, rather than the elements. The physics is clear, and replicable - a ball will lose that amount of pressure when subjected to the wet, cold conditions of the sort at the time of the game.

I don't buy that at all. The amount of deflation was above the standard pressure loss or the NFL would have never made an issue of it. My experience with footballs is they deflate very little over the course of the game.

Funny.

This is such bullsiht. If you hate NE because of their success you want them to fry. If you like them or have the ability to be objective you think this is so stupid.

I will admit to a dislike of the Patriots. Mostly because their dynasty began with the most bullshit call in the history of the NFL even if it was correct according to the ridiculous tuck rule. Also because they are blatant cheaters.

However, just like with Brad if I see them being unfairly accused I will defend them. I see no cause to defend them. I have plenty of experience with footballs. The deflation in the course of a game is negligible unless we are talking sub zero temps. I don't buy the supposed science that you are buying into.

Exactly which elements of the Ideal Gas Equation/Law is your anecdotal experience at odds with?
Post #: 55
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 2:05:51 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

The ideal gas law is often written as:
PV=nRT
where:
P is the pressure of the gas
V is the volume of the gas
n is the amount of substance of gas (in moles)
R is the ideal, or universal, gas constant, equal to the product of the Boltzmann constant and the Avogadro constant.
T is the temperature of the gas or using basic math:

the constant R=pv/nt

this is generally simplified to R=PV/T

Given that the "volume" of an inflated football is relatively constant.. the only way the pressure goes up or down is by changing the temperature of the gas inflating it..

footballs initially inflated in a locker room or other area indoors at a room temp of 72 degrees.. then subjected to a temperature drop of 30- 40 degrees are going to lose pressure, outside in the cold..and no one has to even touch them.

but why let science interfere with conspiracy?

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 56
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 2:44:26 PM   
Bill Jandro

Not to mention some pretty big boys falling on it

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 57
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 3:21:53 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Funny.

However, just like with Brad if I see them being unfairly accused I will defend them. I see no cause to defend them. I have plenty of experience with footballs. The deflation in the course of a game is negligible unless we are talking sub zero temps. I don't buy the supposed science that you are buying into.

Exactly which elements of the Ideal Gas Equation/Law is your anecdotal experience at odds with?

And as soon as they warm up the pressure goes up again. Whatever. I don't buy the idea that the science was followed accurately if they came up with the conclusion that the balls weren't tampered with.

So in summation I have no issue with the science. I have an issue with how it was applied. You go ahead and blindly trust what these people are selling you. I don't.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/28/2016 3:26:48 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 58
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 3:50:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Funny.

And as soon as they warm up the pressure goes up again. Whatever. I don't buy the idea that the science was followed accurately if they came up with the conclusion that the balls weren't tampered with.

So in summation I have no issue with the science. I have an issue with how it was applied. You go ahead and blindly trust what these people are selling you. I don't.

You do understand the the NFL investigation applied no "science". Your "blindly trust what these people are selling you" assertion is more than a little like the pot calling the kettle black.

And after their entirely biased investigation with the clear goal of concluding that the balls had been deflated intentionally, it was summed in their report as "It is more likely than not that the balls were deflated". And based on this statement the NFL meted out the punishment. More likely than not equates to something like 55% chance it happened. Not even a "it probably happened" which would mean about a 66% chance it happened.

"More likely than not"

< Message edited by thebigo -- 5/28/2016 3:58:45 PM >
Post #: 59
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 3:57:48 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Tires lose pressure sometimes and not just because of lower temps. Regardless, if the Patriots balls were underinflated, but not the Colts, then it wasn't the temperature.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 60
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 4:00:31 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Tires lose pressure sometimes and not just because of lower temps. Regardless, if the Patriots balls were underinflated, but not the Colts, then it wasn't the temperature.

Sounds like the Colts must have inflated theirs.

The referees said they actually used different guages for measuring the PSI, gauges that are known to produce different results.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 5/28/2016 4:01:58 PM >
Post #: 61
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 4:03:18 PM   
Lynn G.

Remember when Mike Tice got punished for selling Superbowl tickets and then it came out that every single team did it? Tice sucked it up, took his punishment, never once squealed on the other coaches on other teams who were the designated ticket wranglers - and moved on.

This is a similar case. Maybe other teams deflated balls, maybe they didn't, but that doesn't mean Tom Brady gets a free pass. Be a man, suck it up, take the punishment and move on. Mike Tice is a better man than Tom Brady.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 62
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 4:34:11 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Remember when Mike Tice got punished for selling Superbowl tickets and then it came out that every single team did it? Tice sucked it up, took his punishment, never once squealed on the other coaches on other teams who were the designated ticket wranglers - and moved on.

This is a similar case. Maybe other teams deflated balls, maybe they didn't, but that doesn't mean Tom Brady gets a free pass. Be a man, suck it up, take the punishment and move on. Mike Tice is a better man than Tom Brady.

Excellent strawman.
Post #: 63
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 4:51:45 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Exactly

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 64
RE: Other NFL News - 5/28/2016 7:16:59 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Really? Can't imagine any variables that might come into play here? Maybe the Patriots like a less inflated ball, so just left them out in the cold, and maybe the Colts protected theirs, maybe left them by a heater?

Tunnel vision rules.
Post #: 65
RE: Other NFL News - 5/29/2016 8:01:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Really? Can't imagine any variables that might come into play here? Maybe the Patriots like a less inflated ball, so just left them out in the cold, and maybe the Colts protected theirs, maybe left them by a heater?

Tunnel vision rules.

The most reasonable and simple explanation for the disparity was that the Patriots tampered with the balls. Other explanations are certainly possible. I don't get where you think the NFL would be biased against the poor misunderstood, mistreated Patriots. It is possible, but it seems really unlikely.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 66
RE: Other NFL News - 5/29/2016 9:13:06 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

The most reasonable and simple explanation for the disparity was that the Patriots tampered with the balls. Other explanations are certainly possible. I don't get where you think the NFL would be biased against the poor misunderstood, mistreated Patriots. It is possible, but it seems really unlikely.

As biased as you are don't you think anything you have to say regarding the matter means very little - not trying to be mean, but ...
Post #: 67
RE: Other NFL News - 5/29/2016 9:37:52 PM   
Bruce Johnson

When Brady deliberately destroyed his cell phone, then he lost all credibility. He deserves the suspension purely based on his non-cooperation alone. I think the team was also part of the coverup, so the loss of draft picks and the fine were appropriate, especially when considering the history of the team. I would have been even happier if they lowered their cap number to one million. They would have had to cut everyone and field a semi-pro team. I would have been trilled with each loss. Just imagine Belichick throwing his hands up in the air with another 100-0 loss. If I was coaching against that team, I would run up the score to 200-0. Even as the coach, i would walk up to the stands and taunt the fans. I'm fantasizing now.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/29/2016 9:39:07 PM >

Post #: 68
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 12:51:11 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

That's about as convincing as the NFL's investigation conclusion "More likely than not"

Really?
Post #: 69
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 12:52:25 AM   
thebigo

quote:

When Brady deliberately destroyed his cell phone, then he lost all credibility. He deserves the suspension purely based on his non-cooperation alone. I think the team was also part of the coverup, so the loss of draft picks and the fine were appropriate, especially when considering the history of the team. I would have been even happier if they lowered their cap number to one million. They would have had to cut everyone and field a semi-pro team. I would have been trilled with each loss. Just imagine Belichick throwing his hands up in the air with another 100-0 loss. If I was coaching against that team, I would run up the score to 200-0. Even as the coach, i would walk up to the stands and taunt the fans. I'm fantasizing now.

What Ricky said.
Post #: 70
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 1:14:18 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

As biased as you are don't you think anything you have to say regarding the matter means very little - not trying to be mean, but ...

I admit to not liking the Patriots. That has nothing to do with my evaluation of deflategate. The evidence that I have evaluated to this point makes me believe the Patriots did it. No bias involved and I don't believe the NFL has any bias either.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 71
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 1:17:22 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

That's about as convincing as the NFL's investigation conclusion "More likely than not"

Really?

What's wrong with their conclusion. If they were biased they would be saying absolute and irrefutable. They aren't biased so after evaluating the facts they came up with more likely than not. Seems like a fair conclusion to me. I agree with that conclusion. I'm not absolutely certain but seems more likely than not.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 72
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 1:49:08 AM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

What's wrong with their conclusion. If they were biased they would be saying absolute and irrefutable. They aren't biased so after evaluating the facts they came up with more likely than not. Seems like a fair conclusion to me. I agree with that conclusion. I'm not absolutely certain but seems more likely than not.

It's not a criminal trial, demanding beyond reasonable doubt.

"More Likely than not" was the threshold they needed and easily achieved.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 73
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 1:54:52 AM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

That is an excellent example. The NFL clearly looked the other way on stuff like this.

The Patriots just got stuck with the example that went big time public.

The NFL really had no choice regarding the investigation and subsequent punishment.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 74
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 6:47:03 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

What Ricky said.

You can be very cold, man. Well, my words don't have credibility, but I hope that you find warmth in your day.

Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode