Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 8:36:46 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Tires lose pressure sometimes and not just because of lower temps. Regardless, if the Patriots balls were underinflated, but not the Colts, then it wasn't the temperature.

Exactly

Really? Can't imagine any variables that might come into play here? Maybe the Patriots like a less inflated ball, so just left them out in the cold, and maybe the Colts protected theirs, maybe left them by a heater?

Tunnel vision rules.

The most reasonable and simple explanation for the disparity was that the Patriots tampered with the balls. Other explanations are certainly possible. I don't get where you think the NFL would be biased against the poor misunderstood, mistreated Patriots. It is possible, but it seems really unlikely.

That's about as convincing as the NFL's investigation conclusion "More likely than not"

Really?

What's wrong with their conclusion. If they were biased they would be saying absolute and irrefutable. They aren't biased so after evaluating the facts they came up with more likely than not. Seems like a fair conclusion to me. I agree with that conclusion. I'm not absolutely certain but seems more likely than not.

It's not a criminal trial, demanding beyond reasonable doubt.

"More Likely than not" was the threshold they needed and easily achieved.

Thank you 69. Total agreement.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 76
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 10:13:41 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

When Brady deliberately destroyed his cell phone, then he lost all credibility. He deserves the suspension purely based on his non-cooperation alone. I think the team was also part of the coverup, so the loss of draft picks and the fine were appropriate, especially when considering the history of the team. I would have been even happier if they lowered their cap number to one million. They would have had to cut everyone and field a semi-pro team. I would have been trilled with each loss. Just imagine Belichick throwing his hands up in the air with another 100-0 loss. If I was coaching against that team, I would run up the score to 200-0. Even as the coach, i would walk up to the stands and taunt the fans. I'm fantasizing now.

What Ricky said.

You can be very cold, man. Well, my words don't have credibility, but I hope that you find warmth in your day.

Sorry, actually I meant only to reference the bias part of Ricky's post. Which you readily admit to.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 5/30/2016 10:19:42 AM >
Post #: 77
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 10:18:25 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tires lose pressure sometimes and not just because of lower temps. Regardless, if the Patriots balls were underinflated, but not the Colts, then it wasn't the temperature.

Exactly

Really? Can't imagine any variables that might come into play here? Maybe the Patriots like a less inflated ball, so just left them out in the cold, and maybe the Colts protected theirs, maybe left them by a heater?

Tunnel vision rules.

The most reasonable and simple explanation for the disparity was that the Patriots tampered with the balls. Other explanations are certainly possible. I don't get where you think the NFL would be biased against the poor misunderstood, mistreated Patriots. It is possible, but it seems really unlikely.

That's about as convincing as the NFL's investigation conclusion "More likely than not"

Really?

What's wrong with their conclusion. If they were biased they would be saying absolute and irrefutable. They aren't biased so after evaluating the facts they came up with more likely than not. Seems like a fair conclusion to me. I agree with that conclusion. I'm not absolutely certain but seems more likely than not.

That's a joke. I imagine now they if, let's say a drug sample for a player is positive, and it is proven that the sample was mishandled/processed, upon investigation, a finding of more likely than not will be sufficient.
Post #: 78
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 10:20:13 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

Totally ridiculous.
Post #: 79
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 10:22:55 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Remember when Mike Tice got punished for selling Superbowl tickets and then it came out that every single team did it? Tice sucked it up, took his punishment, never once squealed on the other coaches on other teams who were the designated ticket wranglers - and moved on.

This is a similar case. Maybe other teams deflated balls, maybe they didn't, but that doesn't mean Tom Brady gets a free pass. Be a man, suck it up, take the punishment and move on. Mike Tice is a better man than Tom Brady.

That is an excellent example. The NFL clearly looked the other way on stuff like this.

The Patriots just got stuck with the example that went big time public.

The NFL really had no choice regarding the investigation and subsequent punishment.

Truer words never spoken. I couldn't agree more. The results of the investigation were preordained.
Post #: 80
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 11:27:20 AM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

That's a joke. I imagine now they if, let's say a drug sample for a player is positive, and it is proven that the sample was mishandled/processed, upon investigation, a finding of more likely than not will be sufficient.

Now you are talking about the drug program. I don't know what their threshold is.

Brady is alleged to have violated a competitive rule the threshold is only more likely than not.

About the same burden a ref needs to throw a flag.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 81
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 12:13:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

Totally ridiculous.

BigO why the Brady love affair. The NFL did an unbiased extensive investigation of the situation and came up with more likely than not. Why do you keep desperately clinging to his innocence. The preponderance of evidence is there. We don't know his guilt or innocence without a doubt, but what we do have makes him appear guilty.
If it was a criminal trial based on what I know I would not find him innocent, but I would have to declare him not guilty. It isn't a criminal trial.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/30/2016 12:16:23 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 82
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 12:20:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

Now you are talking about the drug program. I don't know what their threshold is.

Brady is alleged to have violated a competitive rule the threshold is only more likely than not.

One slight disagreement here. I don't want the ref throwing a flag unless he actually saw an infraction. Pisses me off when they throw a flag because they think an infraction possibly happened. In the deflategate case is there an official threshold of preponderance of the evidence? If the burden of proof is beyond all reasonable doubt I would believe Brady to be guilty, but be forced to declare him not guilty.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 83
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 2:12:55 PM   
thebigo

The NFL ought to be able to apply something better than a Kangaroo Court to police itself.

The fact that the NFL assigns it's own stooges or the commissioner himself to arbitrate ITS OWN rulings should be indication enough of the fallacy of justice it applies.
Post #: 84
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 3:10:41 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The NFL ought to be able to apply something better than a Kangaroo Court to police itself.

The fact that the NFL assigns it's own stooges or the commissioner himself to arbitrate ITS OWN rulings should be indication enough of the fallacy of justice it applies.

So I'm starting to see that you believe all NFL discipline should be held up to criminal justice standings. In that case I can see why you act the way you do. I don't agree though. One thing that really bothers me is that players/coaches can be penalized for criticizing officials. Do they believe that the officials are 100% perfect on every call and beyond reproach. That to me is BS.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 85
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 3:29:06 PM   
69in09

quote:

The NFL is by itself a dysfunctional organization.

Just watch "Concussion" if you think they aren't a business out to protect it's money and will do whatever is necessary to keep the money coming in.

They do not want to give up control of the ability to regulate it's players.

Post #: 86
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 3:54:49 PM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

One slight disagreement here. I don't want the ref throwing a flag unless he actually saw an infraction. Pisses me off when they throw a flag because they think an infraction possibly happened. In the deflategate case is there an official threshold of preponderance of the evidence? If the burden of proof is beyond all reasonable doubt I would believe Brady to be guilty, but be forced to declare him not guilty.

The hand is quicker than the eye. It always will be.

The speed of the game is such that the refs have to make calls with anticipation.

A missed call is almost as bad as a bad call.

The refs don't have the benefit of instant replay or slow motion.

Post #: 87
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 3:59:16 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

So I'm starting to see that you believe all NFL discipline should be held up to criminal justice standings. In that case I can see why you act the way you do. I don't agree though.

Oh please, Mr. Black and White. There's miles between due process and the NFL's Kangaroo Court system.
Post #: 88
RE: Other NFL News - 5/30/2016 5:03:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

So I'm starting to see that you believe all NFL discipline should be held up to criminal justice standings. In that case I can see why you act the way you do. I don't agree though.

Oh please, Mr. Black and White. There's miles between due process and the NFL's Kangaroo Court system.

Big O. My post was meant in conciliation not in argument. I was stating that I now understood why you looked at things the way you do. I just happen to have a different perspective. Based on this perspective neither of us are wrong. I think you go to far in calling the nfl process a kangaroo court even though I understand it leaves some to be desired. In the eyes of the nfl Brady and the patriots are premeditated cheaters. They impose punishment in an attempt to discourage future cheating.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/31/2016 9:09:51 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 89
RE: Other NFL News - 5/31/2016 6:20:42 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

When Brady deliberately destroyed his cell phone, then he lost all credibility. He deserves the suspension purely based on his non-cooperation alone. I think the team was also part of the coverup, so the loss of draft picks and the fine were appropriate, especially when considering the history of the team. I would have been even happier if they lowered their cap number to one million. They would have had to cut everyone and field a semi-pro team. I would have been trilled with each loss. Just imagine Belichick throwing his hands up in the air with another 100-0 loss. If I was coaching against that team, I would run up the score to 200-0. Even as the coach, i would walk up to the stands and taunt the fans. I'm fantasizing now.

What Ricky said.

You can be very cold, man. Well, my words don't have credibility, but I hope that you find warmth in your day.

I guess you're right that it isn't very diplomatic to suggest it is anything other than very cold to suggest your documented hate for the team, the history of the team and QB, being as great as it is, really carries no weight other than being a biased opinion?

Kinda of snarky there and I don't mean to be hurtful but it is kind of how I feel - if I could only keep my mouth shut more I'd probably get along with more people.
Post #: 90
RE: Other NFL News - 5/31/2016 7:17:42 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

No doubt. The NFL and Goddell discipline system has a very inconsistent track record.

Don't need to look any further than the Ray Rice incident.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 91
RE: Other NFL News - 5/31/2016 9:09:05 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

The speed of the game is such that the refs have to make calls with anticipation.

No absolute right or wrong answer, but to me I would much rather have a ref miss a call he didn't see than make a bad call on something he didn't see.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 92
RE: Other NFL News - 5/31/2016 9:43:55 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

No absolute right or wrong answer, but to me I would much rather have a ref miss a call he didn't see than make a bad call on something he didn't see.

re: have to make calls with anticipation

I just can't get on board with that at all. I'll bet a dollar you can't find a manual in any sport, most specifically football, that says you should make calls with anticipation - and I can show you in a high school manual where you must know 100% before making a call.
Post #: 93
RE: Other NFL News - 5/31/2016 10:01:04 AM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

re: have to make calls with anticipation

I just can't get on board with that at all. I'll bet a dollar you can't find a manual in any sport, most specifically football, that says you should make calls with anticipation - and I can show you in a high school manual where you must know 100% before making a call.

Please tell me the occupation in which business is actually done strictly by the manual?

Anticipation was probably the wrong word. The refs are trained to know what the action should like and what it shouldn't. When it looks wrong, a flag comes out.

It shouldn't need to be 100%.

Post #: 94
RE: Other NFL News - 6/1/2016 8:15:39 PM   
hagar

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Tunnel vision rules.

Really?

I agree. It's physically impossible for the refs to see everything that happens on the field and so missed calls are going to happen
and I can live with that. When a ref throws a flag on something that never happened he is not only wrong he is inserting himself
into the game and becoming part of the outcome of the game instead of just officiating it. The players would rather have refs only
call what they actually see and so would I.
Post #: 95
RE: Other NFL News - 6/4/2016 2:24:45 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Self deleted

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 6/4/2016 2:26:28 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 96
RE: Other NFL News - 6/4/2016 2:29:33 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What Ricky said.

I guess you're right that it isn't very diplomatic to suggest it is anything other than very cold to suggest your documented hate for the team, the history of the team and QB, being as great as it is, really carries no weight other than being a biased opinion?

Kinda of snarky there and I don't mean to be hurtful but it is kind of how I feel - if I could only keep my mouth shut more I'd probably get along with more people.

I'm going to let this slide. Have a nice day.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 97
RE: Other NFL News - 6/4/2016 4:41:43 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What Ricky said.

I'm going to let this slide. Have a nice day.

sure thing ... taking the high road is probably a good move
Post #: 98
RE: Other NFL News - 6/5/2016 8:15:49 AM   
Ricky J

Bob Ryan ‏@GlobeBobRyan 7m7 minutes ago Hingham, MA
The two most relevant words to come out of Deflategate: "Billable Hours."
Post #: 99
RE: Other NFL News - 6/5/2016 9:15:39 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Bob Ryan ‏@GlobeBobRyan 7m7 minutes ago Hingham, MA
The two most relevant words to come out of Deflategate: "Billable Hours."

That is pretty funny

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode