Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 6/30/2016 12:40:20 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Shocking...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 10m10 minutes ago
And Johnny Manziel suspended first four games of season for violations of substances of abuse.

Shocking... that it's only 4 games?

Yikes, could you imagine if we'd followed the suggestion of some "Lil" guys in here that know all about Quarterbacking, and who will be good, and who most definitely won't like Teddy, and selected Johnny Dumpster fire?

We'd be back in the Josh Freeman sweepstakes...(Cue Sammy's Freeman video)

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 151
RE: Other NFL News - 6/30/2016 12:42:18 PM   
Good thing Zimmer interviewed him, and knew immediately to stay miles away...

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 152
RE: Other NFL News - 6/30/2016 12:42:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I didn't know Manziel was even on an NFL roster

He's not.

How can he be suspended when he isn't even employed?

I imagine this is done so teams are aware of it.

If a team picks him up, he's missing the first 4 games.

Leaving and coming back doesn't reset the clock.
Post #: 153
RE: Other NFL News - 6/30/2016 1:03:56 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

Shocking...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 10m10 minutes ago
And Johnny Manziel suspended first four games of season for violations of substances of abuse.

Shocking... that it's only 4 games?

Yikes, could you imagine if we'd followed the suggestion of some "Lil" guys in here that know all about Quarterbacking, and who will be good, and who most definitely won't like Teddy, and selected Johnny Dumpster fire?

We'd be back in the Josh Freeman sweepstakes...(Cue Sammy's Freeman video)

i think that this suspension is for a failed test several months ago...i'm pretty sure he's got a whole lot more going on these days that hasn't been accounted for by the league yet....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 154
RE: Other NFL News - 7/13/2016 3:12:08 PM   
drviking

suck on that brady!!

http://www.ksfy.com/content/news/Tom-Bradys-Deflategate-appeal-rejected-by-federal-court-386656441.html

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 155
RE: Other NFL News - 7/13/2016 3:21:59 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

suck on that brady!!

http://www.ksfy.com/content/news/Tom-Bradys-Deflategate-appeal-rejected-by-federal-court-386656441.html

I like the final line from that link.

The court's decision is unlikely to change minds on either side

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 156
RE: Other NFL News - 7/13/2016 4:15:02 PM   
El Duderino

All the ruling means is that, yes, the CBA gives Goodell the power to suspend players without any regard for facts. The NFL can't even demonstrate that the crime was committed - the Wells report is so poorly conducted that it's impossible to use to say that any balls were ever deflated by anything other than nature, and experiment after experiment carried out in collegiate physics departments across the country demonstrates that the conditions alone are enough to explain any deflation that occurred.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 157
RE: Other NFL News - 7/13/2016 6:58:02 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

All the ruling means is that, yes, the CBA gives Goodell the power to suspend players without any regard for facts. The NFL can't even demonstrate that the crime was committed - the Wells report is so poorly conducted that it's impossible to use to say that any balls were ever deflated by anything other than nature, and experiment after experiment carried out in collegiate physics departments across the country demonstrates that the conditions alone are enough to explain any deflation that occurred.

Dude you aren't biased about this in any way? Is it possible you are only listening to one side of the argument and ignoring the other. So far what I have read leads me to believe that some tampering did occur, however I'm not going to state that as if it is a fact.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 158
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 1:14:21 PM   
drviking

Jason La Canfora

@JasonLaCanfora

Von Miller has agreed to terms with the Broncos. Done deal

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 159
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 1:34:49 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Dude you aren't biased about this in any way? Is it possible you are only listening to one side of the argument and ignoring the other. So far what I have read leads me to believe that some tampering did occur, however I'm not going to state that as if it is a fact.

There's no PROOF that tampering occurred, even if there might be some things that make you go "HMMMMMM".

The Ruling is basically that the NFL and NFLPA have a CBA and in that CBA the NFLPA gives the NFL broad powers to discipline players that they think need disciplining.

No matter what you think of the Brady case, the ruling is that Brady can't deny their judgement because the CBA allows it, and has a process in place for arbitration if the player objects.

Now they need to find independent arbitrators...yes. When the commish can just appoint a loyal underling to "arbitrate" it really doesn't seem like a fair trial etc.

As for the balls, the league easily could have resolved the entire thing by taking the balls out of the team's control.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 160
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 3:14:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

There's no PROOF that tampering occurred, even if there might be some things that make you go "HMMMMMM".

The Ruling is basically that the NFL and NFLPA have a CBA and in that CBA the NFLPA gives the NFL broad powers to discipline players that they think need disciplining.

No matter what you think of the Brady case, the ruling is that Brady can't deny their judgement because the CBA allows it, and has a process in place for arbitration if the player objects.

Now they need to find independent arbitrators...yes. When the commish can just appoint a loyal underling to "arbitrate" it really doesn't seem like a fair trial etc.

As for the balls, the league easily could have resolved the entire thing by taking the balls out of the team's control.

Understood there is no PROOF that tampering occurred. On the other side I hear people like El Duderino claiming PROOF that no tampering occurred. I haven't looked into it hard core, but if PROOF exists that no tampering occurred I would think the NFL would have already sided with Brady and the Patriots and let it go. I question this PROOF that no tampering occurred.

I totally agree with you Scott that game balls should have never been left in control of the teams.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 161
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 3:16:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Jason La Canfora

@JasonLaCanfora

About time.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 162
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 3:31:43 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Jason La Canfora

@JasonLaCanfora

Whoa.

Super Bowl MVP Von Miller, Broncos agree to $114.5 million deal
By Aaron Wilson Updated 1:52 pm, Friday, July 15, 2016

After months of occasionally contentious negotiations, star linebacker Von Miller and the Denver Broncos found common ground Friday afternoon as they struck a blockbuster deal.

The former Texas A&M standout and Super Bowl Most Valuable Player agreed to a six-year, $114.5 million contract.

The deal includes $70 million in total guaranteed. That includes a $23 million signing bonus, according to NFL sources. Miller is now the highest paid defensive player in league history.

His contract averages $19.08 million annually.

Post #: 163
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 3:37:44 PM   
El Duderino

quote:

quote:

On the other side I hear people like El Duderino claiming PROOF that no tampering occurred.

I didn't claim there was proof that no tampering occured. My quote is right there, no need to make shit up. But whether there is proof that no tampering occurred doesn't really matter, given that there is no actual evidence that it DID occur.

< Message edited by El Duderino -- 7/15/2016 4:11:34 PM >

The Dude Abides
Post #: 164
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 4:00:07 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Understood there is no PROOF that tampering occurred. On the other side I hear people like El Duderino claiming PROOF that no tampering occurred. I haven't looked into it hard core, but if PROOF exists that no tampering occurred I would think the NFL would have already sided with Brady and the Patriots and let it go. I question this PROOF that no tampering occurred.

I totally agree with you Scott that game balls should have never been left in control of the teams.

You REALLY need to rethink that.

There is a difference between "no proof that it happened" and "proof that it didn't happen".

And it's not a subtle difference.
Post #: 165
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 4:10:57 PM   
El Duderino

quote:

Dude you aren't biased about this in any way?

Absolutely. I have a very strong pro-justice bias, and it drives me crazy to see the legal system abused by people with ill intent. I also have a pretty strong pro-science bias, so I have a real hard time with the fact that so many people don't actually look into the details of the league's report with any sort of critical thinking. My wife is a scientist, and doesn't give a crap about football (though she likes the Vikings to win so I'm not crabby) and even less of one about the Patriots in particular. She took one look at that report and said that it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. The "science" didn't include a control group, didn't include consistent testing procedures, and is not reproducible.

Throw in the fact that the firm that did the "science" is a firm that has a history of producing reports that are scientifically questionable, but just so happen to support their clients' positions, and the fact that reputable scientists from places like MIT, UC Berkely, University of Michigan, USC, Stanford, Purdue, Carnegie Mellon, and even the University of Minnesota all agree that the conditions were sufficient to explain the deflation, and for the life of me the only reason I can see why anyone DOESN'T think the whole thing is bullshit is if they haven't looked into it, or if their dislike of the Patriots is so strong that they simply don't care what the facts are. I'm going to put you in column A.

Take a look at the Amicus brief filed by 21 physicists and engineers included in this story. I can't guarantee that you'll be convinced, but it is a lot more convincing than the Wells report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/21-scientists-say-tom-brady-is-right-and-the-nfl-is-wrong_us_5745fb9ce4b0dacf7ad3c55d

But, as TGS astutely points out, the appeal had nothing to do with the science, and was only about whether or not Goodell has the power to impose punishment.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 166
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 4:23:50 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Absolutely. I have a very strong pro-justice bias, and it drives me crazy to see the legal system abused by people with ill intent. I also have a pretty strong pro-science bias, so I have a real hard time with the fact that so many people don't actually look into the details of the league's report with any sort of critical thinking. My wife is a scientist, and doesn't give a crap about football (though she likes the Vikings to win so I'm not crabby) and even less of one about the Patriots in particular. She took one look at that report and said that it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. The "science" didn't include a control group, didn't include consistent testing procedures, and is not reproducible.

It's exactly like when an insurance company asks you to be evaluated by "their" *doctor*
Post #: 167
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 4:57:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

On the other side I hear people like El Duderino claiming PROOF that no tampering occurred.

I didn't claim there was proof that no tampering occured. My quote is right there, no need to make shit up. But whether there is proof that no tampering occurred doesn't really matter, given that there is no actual evidence that it DID occur.

Dude you didn't say the words their is PROOF that no tampering occurred but you seem to believe "experiment after experiment carried out in collegiate physics departments across the country demonstrates that the conditions alone are enough to explain any deflation that occurred." and that implies to me that you considered it proof that no tampering occurred. IMO this is not a situation that the NFL has to prove anything occurred. If they believe it occurred IMO they need to take action.
On the other hand you would love me to be a jurist if you were on the defense team in a criminal trial, because the prosecution would have to prove to me beyond any doubt at all or I would vote not guilty.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 168
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 5:17:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Throw in the fact that the firm that did the "science" is a firm that has a history of producing reports that are scientifically questionable, but just so happen to support their clients' positions, and the fact that reputable scientists from places like MIT, UC Berkely, University of Michigan, USC, Stanford, Purdue, Carnegie Mellon, and even the University of Minnesota all agree that the conditions were sufficient to explain the deflation, and for the life of me the only reason I can see why anyone DOESN'T think the whole thing is bullshit is if they haven't looked into it, or if their dislike of the Patriots is so strong that they simply don't care what the facts are. I'm going to put you in column A.

Take a look at the Amicus brief filed by 21 physicists and engineers included in this story. I can't guarantee that you'll be convinced, but it is a lot more convincing than the Wells report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/21-scientists-say-tom-brady-is-right-and-the-nfl-is-wrong_us_5745fb9ce4b0dacf7ad3c55d

But, as TGS astutely points out, the appeal had nothing to do with the science, and was only about whether or not Goodell has the power to impose punishment.

Dude I have looked into it and to this point what I have seen leads me to believe some tampering occurred. So I have looked into it and feel that way so I am not column A.
It is possible that if I continue to look into it further that I will change my opinion to that of no tampering occurred. I don't believe your second column fits me either.
I'm a person who typically doesn't just take they or somebody or whatever somebody is claiming as proof, because I think everyone has an agenda. That is why at this point in time I don't think either side has proven much of anything.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 169
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 5:20:46 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You REALLY need to rethink that.

There is a difference between "no proof that it happened" and "proof that it didn't happen".

And it's not a subtle difference.

I believe Dude goes way further than no proof that it happened. Read his statements, he IMO goes way beyond no proof that it happened and if he isn't claiming their is proof that it didn't happen he is within an eyelash of making that claim.

Here is just one quote from him. "for the life of me the only reason I can see why anyone DOESN'T think the whole thing is bullshit is if they haven't looked into it" To me that sounds like a heck of a lot more than claiming their is no proof it happened.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/15/2016 5:24:50 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 170
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 6:20:30 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dude I have looked into it and to this point what I have seen leads me to believe some tampering occurred. So I have looked into it and feel that way so I am not column A.
It is possible that if I continue to look into it further that I will change my opinion to that of no tampering occurred. I don't believe your second column fits me either.
I'm a person who typically doesn't just take they or somebody or whatever somebody is claiming as proof, because I think everyone has an agenda. That is why at this point in time I don't think either side has proven much of anything.

You'll note that the Dude never makes a claim that no tampering occurred. Just that there was no proof that tampering occurred.
Post #: 171
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 6:44:20 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You'll note that the Dude never makes a claim that no tampering occurred. Just that there was no proof that tampering occurred.

He does make a claim that everyone should recognize it is bullshit Big O. As I stated to me that goes way beyond just saying their is no proof that it happened.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 172
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 7:49:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He does make a claim that everyone should recognize it is bullshit Big O. As I stated to me that goes way beyond just saying their is no proof that it happened.

Even you just said NO ONE HAS PROVEN MUCH OF ANYTHING! Yet your good with Brady being suspended.

Pretty sure that makes you unable to recognize bullshit.
Post #: 173
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 7:56:27 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Even you just said NO ONE HAS PROVEN MUCH OF ANYTHING! Yet your good with Brady being suspended.

I already stated that the nfl doesn't have to prove anything. If they believe it happened IMO they need to take action.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 174
RE: Other NFL News - 7/15/2016 10:08:40 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I already stated that the nfl doesn't have to prove anything. If they believe it happened IMO they need to take action.

And THAT'S bullshit.
Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode