Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 12:25:36 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Ben Goessling said on KFAN he expects Rick Dennison to be named offensive line coach for the #Vikings.

Huge pickup IMO...

I agree
Post #: 2801
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 12:49:02 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

This guy nailed it as far as the play of the OLine this past season and how coaching was a very big part of the problem. There was no accountability for the poor results for marching out the same crap week after week.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/01/26/fix-minnesota-vikings-offensive-line/4/

I agree. If something isn't working, try something else.

Reminds me of 2013 when it was obvious that Ponder wasn't playing well, and when asked for comment, Frazier would reply that he needed to review the tape. It was obvious something wasn't working, so make a change.

Sticking with the status quo suggests that the backup o-lineman are even worse, which seems difficult to believe. I'd like to believe that the team would bench relatively high draft picks or free agent signings that play like crap, but I'm not sure they would. It's as if the coaches are scared to make Spielman look bad.

Continuity is almost as important as anything else for an OL unit. The throw crap at the wall and see what sticks coaching approach should be limited to OTAs, training camp, and preseason.

That's conventional wisdom. Would you never bench an underperforming offensive lineman? The Vikings don't seem to.

Of course I would. Just not for a worse performing player. It's not like the Vikes haven't seen what they have at backup. This don't want to make Spielman look bad stuff is silly, why would Spielman look bad if we replaced Compton with Isiidora?

My point was that Zimmer and Co. kept putting the same crap out there EVERY WEEK with garbage results. Everyone knows an offensive line needs cohesion, but if the results you want continues to come up short, you try something else. Why not try Isidora or Jones? Hard to believe it could have been any worse. Why not promote Edison? Gossett gets plucked from the practice squad. Let's continue to march these "Veteran" scrubs out there EVERY week.

Zimmer is extremely guilty of this. He will continue to start his vets, no matter how bad they're playing. He'll, if Sendejo doesn't get hurt, Anthony Harris is still riding the pine.

Can't believe Zimmer let them play Brian O'neill, or Elflein last year.

Me neither, especially the way Elflein struggled.

Why not play Jones? As for O'Neil, it wouldn't have happened with him either, if Hill hadn't gotten hurt.

See a pattern?

Hmmmm. Won't replace a veteran with a young guy. Oh yeah, I see that! er wait. No, won't replace a young guy with a veteran. Yeah that's it!

About the only pattern I see is a bunch of posters in a competitive straw man competition.

Strawman? Hmmm....I guess that includes you, as well.

Never let the obvious facts get in the way of "Strawman" statements. A bottom rated league OLine, an 8-7-1 record, a QB that was pressured 259 times (Only Houston was worse), and the constant 2nd/3rd and short yardage failures...

Nahhh, you're right. They were correct to keep the status quo in there.

My Bad. Carry on.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 2802
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 1:19:50 PM   
Tom Sykes

If you are hanging on for dear life, you dont fix a problem by simply throwing in worse players. That is begging for an even worse situation.

I myself am surprised they didnt try Isidora more but I dont watch him practice.

I believe the personnel people failed miserably by targeting veterans Andrews, Jones, Edison, and that Wiszcy guy as depth ... obviously none of them practiced to expectation.

Bottomline, there arent plug and play OL on the street during the season to plug gaps.

But the answer is not to simply stick someone worse for the sake of change. You try and get your better players healthier, you keep working on their technique and continuity, and you adapt your playcalling to their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. This is NOT a great IN SEASON solution - but since you failed from a personnel standpoint - thats your best chance for improvement.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/27/2019 1:39:45 PM >
Post #: 2803
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 1:40:04 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

If you are hanging on for dear life, you dont fix a problem by simply throwing in worse players. That is begging for an even worse situation.

I myself am surprised they didnt try Isidora more but I dont watch him practice.

I believe the personnel people failed miserably by targeting veterans Andrews, Jones, Edison, and that Wiszcy guy as depth ... obviously none of them practiced to expectation.

Bottomline, there arent plug and play OL on the street during the season to plug gaps.

But the answer is not to simply stick someone worse for the sake of change. You try and get your better players healthier, better technique and continuity wise, and you adapt your playcalling to their strengths and avoid their weaknesses.

I agree with you 100 percent Tom, but too often Zim has proven to stick with the same players, no matter how ineffective they are. Treadwell, Compton, Remmers, Hill and Sendejo are good examples.

Sendejo wasn't a bad player, but I think Harris proved to be much more effective. It took Sendejo to get injured to bring Harris in. Same with O'Neil. Hill gets hurt and O'Neil comes in and plays better. I thought Jones and Isidora could have played just as bad as Compton/Elf/Remmers, but they were never really given an opportunity.

And don't get me started on Treadwell. I had a lot of hope for him, but there could have been another player brought in and given a chance to produce.

Change is good when it's needed.

And I'll even give Remmers a slight pass. I still don't know why these coaches have a fascination to play guys out of their natural positions. Remmers was a much better RT than G.

Post #: 2804
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 2:03:12 PM   
Bill Jandro

Zim needs to pull his head out the sand for the most part.

Seems he has annointed ones starting and that's it. It must be depressing for the reserves to rarely get even a chance no matter how terrible a starter is playing.

I think it has a lot to do with draft stock (Treadwell) or current salary (Remmers).

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2805
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 2:07:23 PM   
Todd M

The pro bowl dodge ball games probably offered more than this game likely will.
Post #: 2806
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 2:27:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This guy nailed it as far as the play of the OLine this past season and how coaching was a very big part of the problem. There was no accountability for the poor results for marching out the same crap week after week.

Reminds me of 2013 when it was obvious that Ponder wasn't playing well, and when asked for comment, Frazier would reply that he needed to review the tape. It was obvious something wasn't working, so make a change.

Sticking with the status quo suggests that the backup o-lineman are even worse, which seems difficult to believe. I'd like to believe that the team would bench relatively high draft picks or free agent signings that play like crap, but I'm not sure they would. It's as if the coaches are scared to make Spielman look bad.

Continuity is almost as important as anything else for an OL unit. The throw crap at the wall and see what sticks coaching approach should be limited to OTAs, training camp, and preseason.

That's conventional wisdom. Would you never bench an underperforming offensive lineman? The Vikings don't seem to.

Of course I would. Just not for a worse performing player. It's not like the Vikes haven't seen what they have at backup. This don't want to make Spielman look bad stuff is silly, why would Spielman look bad if we replaced Compton with Isiidora?

My point was that Zimmer and Co. kept putting the same crap out there EVERY WEEK with garbage results. Everyone knows an offensive line needs cohesion, but if the results you want continues to come up short, you try something else. Why not try Isidora or Jones? Hard to believe it could have been any worse. Why not promote Edison? Gossett gets plucked from the practice squad. Let's continue to march these "Veteran" scrubs out there EVERY week.

Zimmer is extremely guilty of this. He will continue to start his vets, no matter how bad they're playing. He'll, if Sendejo doesn't get hurt, Anthony Harris is still riding the pine.

Why not play Jones? As for O'Neil, it wouldn't have happened with him either, if Hill hadn't gotten hurt.

See a pattern?

Hmmmm. Won't replace a veteran with a young guy. Oh yeah, I see that! er wait. No, won't replace a young guy with a veteran. Yeah that's it!

About the only pattern I see is a bunch of posters in a competitive straw man competition.

Never let the obvious facts get in the way of "Strawman" statements. A bottom rated league OLine, an 8-7-1 record, a QB that was pressured 259 times (Only Houston was worse), and the constant 2nd/3rd and short yardage failures...

My Bad. Carry on.

A little weak on the strawman concept, eh?
Post #: 2807
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 2:39:25 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

See a pattern?

Just catching up on posts here and I see you're having fun at the batting cage.
Post #: 2808
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 2:43:00 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

See a pattern?

My Bad. Carry on.

Since they all sucked, why didn't that article that "nailed it" advocate a mid-season new OL coach? After all, the whole thing was about change, change, change.
Post #: 2809
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 2:44:35 PM   
Todd M

Exciting series for the NFC...Elliot literally lays down on his back after a 2 yard dump off to avoid contact...the whistle blows on a 'sack' practically before the defender met RWilson...RWilson with a deep throw with no chance.
Post #: 2810
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 2:55:41 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

I believe the personnel people failed miserably by targeting veterans Andrews, Jones, Edison, and as depth ... obviously none of them practiced to expectation.

But the answer is not to simply stick someone worse for the sake of change. You try and get your better players healthier, better technique and continuity wise, and you adapt your playcalling to their strengths and avoid their weaknesses.

I agree with you 100 percent Tom, but too often Zim has proven to stick with the same players, no matter how ineffective they are. Treadwell, Compton, Remmers, Hill and Sendejo are good examples.

Sendejo wasn't a bad player, but I think Harris proved to be much more effective. It took Sendejo to get injured to bring Harris in. Same with O'Neil. Hill gets hurt and O'Neil comes in and plays better. I thought Jones and Isidora could have played just as bad as Compton/Elf/Remmers, but they were never really given an opportunity.

And don't get me started on Treadwell. I had a lot of hope for him, but there could have been another player brought in and given a chance to produce.

And I'll even give Remmers a slight pass. I still don't know why these coaches have a fascination to play guys out of their natural positions. Remmers was a much better RT than G.

That Wiszcy guy got picked up by Chicago and started for them while Long was out. Jones played decently in NY last year. Both of which destroys the it's the personnel argument. It was both, coaching and front office. Neither get a pass from me.

If you believe the posters over at Windy City Gridiron, there was no drop off from Long to Witzmann and several were advocating moving on from Long to save some cap space.

Zimmer was praising the oline after the first Chicago game. I hope Kubiak can save Zimmer from himself. The less Zim is involved in the offense, the better.

I am excited about Dennison as the new oline coach.

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/27/2019 2:58:51 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2811
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 2:58:41 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Exciting series for the NFC...Elliot literally lays down on his back after a 2 yard dump off to avoid contact...the whistle blows on a 'sack' practically before the defender met RWilson...RWilson with a deep throw with no chance.

Why are they playing this game again?
Post #: 2812
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 4:03:42 PM   
Todd M

They need to take this game behind the woodshed.
Post #: 2813
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 4:04:41 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

See a pattern?

My Bad. Carry on.

A little weak on the strawman concept, eh?

Give it up.

When you're sucking bad, you try different things, including personnel. If you don't agree and prefer they stay with what's got you at .500, I guess there's nothing more I have to say on the subject.

Post #: 2814
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 4:06:52 PM   
Todd M

Didn't know Troy Williamson was in the pro bowl.
Post #: 2815
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 4:14:31 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

I believe the personnel people failed miserably by targeting veterans Andrews, Jones, Edison, and as depth ... obviously none of them practiced to expectation.

That Wiszcy guy got picked up by Chicago and started for them while Long was out. Jones played decently in NY last year. Both of which destroys the it's the personnel argument. It was both, coaching and front office. Neither get a pass from me.

If you believe the posters over at Windy City Gridiron, there was no drop off from Long to Witzmann and several were advocating moving on from Long to save some cap space.

Zimmer was praising the oline after the first Chicago game. I hope Kubiak can save Zimmer from himself. The less Zim is involved in the offense, the better.

I'm excited too. Hopefully he can inject some energy in this unit. It would be nice if they could get Paradis from Denver, although it will probably cost them at least 10 million.

Do that and I move Elf to guard and kick Remmers to the curb.

Post #: 2816
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 5:42:56 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well if you concede that it was both personnel and coaching, it doesn't exactly 'destroy' the personnel argument.

Unless by 'Front Office' you mean the executive staff (Spielman, etc.) pluck names out of a hat to populate the roster (without any pro personnel scouting or research).

And no, I don't put much stock in the Windy City Gridiron.

But just to clarify ... as a whole, I agree that coaching was a big part of the OL performance this past year. Which I attribute to a muddied OC situation and Sporano.

We also did not score any help through free agency, even though we brought in 4 veterans with some starting experience. IMO that is not getting it done on a personnel level.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/27/2019 11:02:54 PM >
Post #: 2817
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 11:21:02 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well if you concede that it was both personnel and coaching, it doesn't exactly 'destroy' the personnel argument.

Unless by 'Front Office' you mean the executive staff (Spielman, etc.) pluck names out of a hat to populate the roster (without any pro personnel scouting or research).

But just to clarify ... as a whole, I agree that coaching was a big part of the OL performance this past year. Which I attribute to a muddied OC situation and Sporano.

We also did not score any help through free agency, even though we brought in 4 veterans with some starting experience. IMO that is not getting it done on a personnel level.

That original premise was that there were better options than what we played all season. You argued that those that didn't play were inferior options.

The rest is just noise.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2818
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2019 9:49:22 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

The pro bowl dodge ball games probably offered more than this game likely will.

What a joke that game is. Why do they even bother playing it? It is not real football. Nobody tries, nobody cares.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 2819
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2019 10:00:57 AM   
SoMnFan

ESPN's projected win totals for all 32 NFL teams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minnesota Vikings (8-7-1)

Projected over/under: 9 wins (over -125, under +105)

It seems like the Vikings cycle between wildly successful and despair-inducing seasons from year to year under Mike Zimmer, but in the bigger picture, they've won an average of 9.5 games in their five years under the former Cowboys and Bengals assistant.

Minnesota doesn't have much cap room after the Kirk Cousins deal and could lose Sheldon Richardson, Anthony Barr, Dan Bailey and Latavius Murray this offseason, but if you ask Vikings fans, Richardson might be the only one in the bunch they'll miss.
Post #: 2820
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2019 10:50:27 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

ESPN's projected win totals for all 32 NFL teams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minnesota Vikings (8-7-1)

Projected over/under: 9 wins (over -125, under +105)

It seems like the Vikings cycle between wildly successful and despair-inducing seasons from year to year under Mike Zimmer, but in the bigger picture, they've won an average of 9.5 games in their five years under the former Cowboys and Bengals assistant.

Minnesota doesn't have much cap room after the Kirk Cousins deal and could lose Sheldon Richardson, Anthony Barr, Dan Bailey and Latavius Murray this offseason, but if you ask Vikings fans, Richardson might be the only one in the bunch they'll miss.

Good forecast.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 2821
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2019 11:24:02 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Ben Goessling said on KFAN he expects Rick Dennison to be named offensive line coach for the #Vikings.

This is a very good move. Dennison sounds like an extremely experienced and successful coach who has a strong relationship with Kubiak - something we missed last year after Sparano's death. Hopefully they are good talent evaluators and will help to identify offensive lineman in the draft as well.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 2822
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2019 3:34:06 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That original premise was that there were better options than what we played all season. You argued that those that didn't play were inferior options.

The rest is just noise.

Got it. I'll keep it simple. IMO it wasn't just coaching ... we didn't bring in the right players to back up. That's personnel.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/28/2019 4:02:28 PM >
Post #: 2823
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 9:03:14 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan

Huge pickup IMO...

Not sure what the hang-up is. He is no longer with the Jets, right? (he is still listed on their web page coaching staff)
Post #: 2824
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 10:06:34 AM   
Tom Sykes

Goessling does say in this morning’s Strib that Kubiak Senior was Stefanski’s choice to bring aboard ...

which I had not seen in print before. That would dispel (if true) the ‘Stefanski as Kubiak puppet’ and ‘Zimmer replacement’ conspiracists in here.
Post #: 2825
Page:   <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode