Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 10:26:12 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Goessling does say in this morning’s Strib that Kubiak Senior was Stefanski’s choice to bring aboard ...

which I had not seen in print before. That would dispel (if true) the ‘Stefanski as Kubiak puppet’ and ‘Zimmer replacement’ conspiracists in here.

If you are going to be fired, I don't think it matters much if your replacement is here or somewhere else. Zimmer like assistance with a lot of experience and he has two that can coach up the offense. If their is a change next off season Spielman will be gone too and the new GM will hire the head coach. There was enough blame on the offensive line to go around. Poor personal, bringing back a player too early from injury, poor coaching, poor play selection, just to name a few. We are correcting the coaching staff and someone needs to do a better job of evaluating the entire offense. Cousins is here with his weaknesses, so you better figure out how to minimize them.
Post #: 2826
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 10:33:15 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

Goessling does say in this morning’s Strib that Kubiak Senior was Stefanski’s choice to bring aboard ...

which I had not seen in print before. That would dispel (if true) the ‘Stefanski as Kubiak puppet’ and ‘Zimmer replacement’ conspiracists in here.

If you are going to be fired, I don't think it matters much if your replacement is here or somewhere else. Zimmer like assistance with a lot of experience and he has two that can coach up the offense. If their is a change next off season Spielman will be gone too and the new GM will hire the head coach. There was enough blame on the offensive line to go around. Poor personal, bringing back a player too early from injury, poor coaching, poor play selection, just to name a few. We are correcting the coaching staff and someone needs to do a better job of evaluating the entire offense. Cousins is here with his weaknesses, so you better figure out how to minimize them.

Dead coach.
Post #: 2827
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 10:38:03 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Kubiak's health should dispel that way before anything else is brought up. A coach with a history of mini-strokes when putting in excessive hours should pretty much state what Kubiak's role is.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/29/2019 11:00:58 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2828
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 10:56:18 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Kubiak's health should dispel that way before anything else is brought up.

No kidding..

The desperation of some to clutch at any straw that invokes “ blow it all up and start over” is laughable.

The minute I saw some poster float the idea that Kubiak

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2829
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 12:25:10 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

Kubiak's health should dispel that way before anything else is brought up.

No kidding..

The desperation of some to clutch at any straw that invokes “ blow it all up and start over” is laughable.

The minute I saw some poster float the idea that Kubiak

The thing with Zimmer is he's a very good head coach (as evident by his W-L record) in a situation where, from the perspective of a large part of the long suffering fan base, anything short of a Super Bowl victory is not good enough. It's a tough business, but that's why he gets paid the big bucks. I'm sure the Wilfs would agree.
Post #: 2830
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 1:31:52 PM   
Phil Riewer

The key to the team and also its biggest issue is the coaching. When Zimmer was the most successful he had former HC running the offense (Shurmur & Sporano in 2017). So shoring up the offense side with Kubiak and crew, bringing in a new ST coach, and hopefully upgrading the Oline talent and bringing in a 3rd WR/TE will be what we need.

Many comment on Case in 2017 but forget how important Shurmur was to the success of that team.

Post #: 2831
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 1:39:13 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Kubiak's health should dispel that way before anything else is brought up. A coach with a history of mini-strokes when putting in excessive hours should pretty much state what Kubiak's role is.

Not to be all touchy-feely like Big O's "Dead coach" observation, but

Don't be putting Fossil Kubiak on a deathwatch please.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/29/2019 1:44:02 PM >
Post #: 2832
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 1:43:35 PM   
Tom Sykes

One OG off the FA market ...

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet
4h4 hours ago

The #Colts signed guard Mark Glowinski to a contract extension, they announced. Source said it’s a three-year deal worth $18M with a signing bonus of $4.2M. They lock him up before free agency.
Post #: 2833
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 1:44:31 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not to be all touchy-feely like Big O's "Dead coach" observation, but

Don't be putting Fossil Kubiak on a deathwatch.

I am not---just saying as an advisor he would work normal hours----way less than an OC or HC.

Post #: 2834
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 1:54:26 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

Ian Rapoport
4h4 hours ago

The #Colts signed guard Mark Glowinski to a contract extension, they announced. Source said it’s a three-year deal worth $18M with a signing bonus of $4.2M. They lock him up before free agency.

Top linemen are not going to see free agency. We will get to over pay for the second tier guys as a lot of teams will.
Post #: 2835
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 1:57:15 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
4h4 hours ago

Top linemen are not going to see free agency. We will get to over pay for the second tier guys as a lot of teams will.

That is cheap for a 27 year old lineman and only 3 years.

Post #: 2836
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 2:04:56 PM   
Bill Jandro

I know Saffold has said he would like to re-up with the Rams.

However, they are one of the few teams with less cap space than us. 1.65 ml per sportrac

If he gets a ring this Sunday he could chase the money.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 1/29/2019 2:24:00 PM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2837
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 4:59:34 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

You would think he would be a bit leery of signing with the Vikings.
Post #: 2838
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 5:17:43 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Ian Rapoport
4h4 hours ago

Before free agency? Gasp. Wonder what the 'waiting until the draft is folly' crowd is going to do? More the goalposts I guess.
Post #: 2839
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 5:21:52 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Ian Rapoport
4h4 hours ago
'

Before free agency? Gasp. Wonder what the 'waiting until the draft is folly' crowd is going to do? More the goalposts I guess.

Keep saying we have to acquire at least two interior linemen who can credibly start. Sign 'em or trade for 'em, we can't end up coming up short in the draft------again. We have two or three holes that have to be filled.
Post #: 2840
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 5:53:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
4h4 hours ago
'

Keep saying we have to acquire at least two interior linemen who can credibly start. Sign 'em or trade for 'em, we can't end up coming up short in the draft------again. We have two or three holes that have to be filled.

Wow, right on cue!

Still wondering what "credibly start" means. Sounds to me like a CYA term.
Post #: 2841
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 7:20:22 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
4h4 hours ago
'

Wow, right on cue!

You're right, it's awfully early. We should be pounding Kierkegaard and Nietzsche right now.

Then after the Super Bowl, start full-bore on the prospect hand size and knee dimple measurements.
Post #: 2842
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 7:26:55 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Mayo Clinic.
Post #: 2843
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 8:59:35 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
4h4 hours ago

That is cheap for a 27 year old lineman and only 3 years.

May well be, but giving a discount t his old team and is not someone available for free agency. Free agency is all about supply and demand, not some nebulous value.
Post #: 2844
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 9:07:04 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

If you are hanging on for dear life, you dont fix a problem by simply throwing in worse players. That is begging for an even worse situation.

I myself am surprised they didnt try Isidora more but I dont watch him practice.

I believe the personnel people failed miserably by targeting veterans Andrews, Jones, Edison, and as depth ... obviously none of them practiced to expectation.

Bottomline, there arent plug and play OL on the street during the season to plug gaps.

But the answer is not to simply stick someone worse for the sake of change. You try and get your better players healthier, better technique and continuity wise, and you adapt your playcalling to their strengths and avoid their weaknesses.

I agree with you 100 percent Tom, but too often Zim has proven to stick with the same players, no matter how ineffective they are. Treadwell, Compton, Remmers, Hill and Sendejo are good examples.

Sendejo wasn't a bad player, but I think Harris proved to be much more effective. It took Sendejo to get injured to bring Harris in. Same with O'Neil. Hill gets hurt and O'Neil comes in and plays better. I thought Jones and Isidora could have played just as bad as Compton/Elf/Remmers, but they were never really given an opportunity.

And don't get me started on Treadwell. I had a lot of hope for him, but there could have been another player brought in and given a chance to produce.

Change is good when it's needed.

And I'll even give Remmers a slight pass. I still don't know why these coaches have a fascination to play guys out of their natural positions. Remmers was a much better RT than G.

That Wiszcy guy got picked up by Chicago and started for them while Long was out. Jones played decently in NY last year. Both of which destroys the it's the personnel argument. It was both, coaching and front office. Neither get a pass from me.

If you believe the posters over at Windy City Gridiron, there was no drop off from Long to Witzmann and several were advocating moving on from Long to save some cap space.

Zimmer was praising the oline after the first Chicago game. I hope Kubiak can save Zimmer from himself. The less Zim is involved in the offense, the better.

I am excited about Dennison as the new oline coach.

Well if you concede that it was both personnel and coaching, it doesn't exactly 'destroy' the personnel argument.

Unless by 'Front Office' you mean the executive staff (Spielman, etc.) pluck names out of a hat to populate the roster (without any pro personnel scouting or research).

And no, I don't put much stock in the Windy City Gridiron.

But just to clarify ... as a whole, I agree that coaching was a big part of the OL performance this past year. Which I attribute to a muddied OC situation and Sporano.

We also did not score any help through free agency, even though we brought in 4 veterans with some starting experience. IMO that is not getting it done on a personnel level.

That original premise was that there were better options than what we played all season. You argued that those that didn't play were inferior options.

The rest is just noise.

Got it. I'll keep it simple. IMO it wasn't just coaching ... we didn't bring in the right players to back up. That's personnel.

You were a condescending prig after the draft and nothing has changed.

Here's a few fan favorites:

Maybe for Happy Norseman and Pager who are out there wandering the earth, anguished over their unslaked thirst for a RG or any OL at#30 ... then eviscerated by Spielman's inability to predict the draft. Two hollow draft souls they are.

To sum it up ...
The majority of posters didn't like the draft as a whole, during and shortly after.
Most have moved on into the 'wait and see' position ...
A few are now wholly positive and focused on the 'vast' potential of these never-before-heard-of prospects ...
Some are still gnawing on their gall bladders over the RG-less #30 selection, and the effect of a combo Fahrenheit 451 / Handmaiden's Tale public censuring by the board afterwards.

Stand up and take a bow.

I'll make you a deal. When I block you after this post, you block me as well

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/29/2019 9:17:03 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2845
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 9:07:43 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Mayo Clinic.

I can see how traveling and having to face the constant pressures of being a head coach or an offensive coordinator might aggravate one stroke condition, buy as an offensive advisor, a roll he has had before would hurt his stroke condition. He should be able to help the Vikings a lot.
Post #: 2846
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 9:32:35 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

If you are hanging on for dear life, you dont fix a problem by simply throwing in worse players. That is begging for an even worse situation.

I myself am surprised they didnt try Isidora more but I dont watch him practice.

I believe the personnel people failed miserably by targeting veterans Andrews, Jones, Edison, and as depth ... obviously none of them practiced to expectation.

Bottomline, there arent plug and play OL on the street during the season to plug gaps.

But the answer is not to simply stick someone worse for the sake of change. You try and get your better players healthier, better technique and continuity wise, and you adapt your playcalling to their strengths and avoid their weaknesses.

I agree with you 100 percent Tom, but too often Zim has proven to stick with the same players, no matter how ineffective they are. Treadwell, Compton, Remmers, Hill and Sendejo are good examples.

Sendejo wasn't a bad player, but I think Harris proved to be much more effective. It took Sendejo to get injured to bring Harris in. Same with O'Neil. Hill gets hurt and O'Neil comes in and plays better. I thought Jones and Isidora could have played just as bad as Compton/Elf/Remmers, but they were never really given an opportunity.

And don't get me started on Treadwell. I had a lot of hope for him, but there could have been another player brought in and given a chance to produce.

Change is good when it's needed.

And I'll even give Remmers a slight pass. I still don't know why these coaches have a fascination to play guys out of their natural positions. Remmers was a much better RT than G.

That Wiszcy guy got picked up by Chicago and started for them while Long was out. Jones played decently in NY last year. Both of which destroys the it's the personnel argument. It was both, coaching and front office. Neither get a pass from me.

If you believe the posters over at Windy City Gridiron, there was no drop off from Long to Witzmann and several were advocating moving on from Long to save some cap space.

Zimmer was praising the oline after the first Chicago game. I hope Kubiak can save Zimmer from himself. The less Zim is involved in the offense, the better.

I am excited about Dennison as the new oline coach.

Well if you concede that it was both personnel and coaching, it doesn't exactly 'destroy' the personnel argument.

Unless by 'Front Office' you mean the executive staff (Spielman, etc.) pluck names out of a hat to populate the roster (without any pro personnel scouting or research).

And no, I don't put much stock in the Windy City Gridiron.

But just to clarify ... as a whole, I agree that coaching was a big part of the OL performance this past year. Which I attribute to a muddied OC situation and Sporano.

We also did not score any help through free agency, even though we brought in 4 veterans with some starting experience. IMO that is not getting it done on a personnel level.

That original premise was that there were better options than what we played all season. You argued that those that didn't play were inferior options.

The rest is just noise.

Got it. I'll keep it simple. IMO it wasn't just coaching ... we didn't bring in the right players to back up. That's personnel.

You were a condescending prig after the draft and nothing has changed.

Here's a few fan favorites:

Maybe for Happy Norseman and Pager who are out there wandering the earth, anguished over their unslaked thirst for a RG or any OL at#30 ... then eviscerated by Spielman's inability to predict the draft. Two hollow draft souls they are.

To sum it up ...
The majority of posters didn't like the draft as a whole, during and shortly after.
Most have moved on into the 'wait and see' position ...
A few are now wholly positive and focused on the 'vast' potential of these never-before-heard-of prospects ...
Some are still gnawing on their gall bladders over the RG-less #30 selection, and the effect of a combo Fahrenheit 451 / Handmaiden's Tale public censuring by the board afterwards.

Stand up and take a bow.

I'll make you a deal. When I block you after this post, you block me as well

Pager, I'll quote his funny stuff for you.
Post #: 2847
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 9:38:19 PM   
Pager

That's funnier than any of his shit bigo.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2848
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 11:21:47 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
4h4 hours ago
'

Wow, right on cue!

I don't feel any need to cover my ass. It's my opinion that waiting until the draft---again---to fill the gaping holes in our line is folly, as proven last year. "Credibly start" is easy to understand if you really want to, but my guess is you'd rather continue bleating. Does "viable starter" work for you?

And if we don't get two viable Day 1 starters in the draft (and roll the dice that Elflein or Easton will be viable even though they weren't this year) and we go into the season with holes in our interior O-line? That's fine with you?
Post #: 2849
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2019 11:46:04 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

That's funnier than any of his shit bigo.

True - but don’t be a suckass about it!

(Just testing)
Post #: 2850
Page:   <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode