Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 1:48:56 PM   
Todd M

Laughed at by anyone with any sense?
Post #: 3126
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 1:49:52 PM  1 votes
David Levine

Do you get a text alert every time someone praises Cousins?
Post #: 3127
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 2:06:55 PM   
Ragnarök

I was just posing a very fair question... No one wants to answer?

Kirk puts up epic numbers and is the third highest paid player in the NFL

So what do you think Kirk Cousins trade value is at this moment?

If the Vikings just did a Flacco style shock the league trade and moved on from Kirk, what could they get?

HONESTLY??
Post #: 3128
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 2:26:40 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Do you get a text alert every time someone praises Cousins?

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3129
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 2:44:31 PM   
Ragnarök

Face it, Kirk Cousins was like that really bad decision you made to buy stock based on hype and big numbers, failing to look at true market trends, past detractors and what analysts were saying...

Now we all sit around and hope for big rebound...

Good luck with that...

New millennium version of Herschel Walker so far... but... but... fire the OC and replace all with new minds and schemes, Find new OL help... Wash, rinse and repeat...

Its pretty much a perfect match for us Vikings fans, Kirk is that guy who will have huge highs and trick you into the mindset of upside, followed by huge lows and reality smacks you in the face...

We are so used to this we have to cheer and hope... eternal optimists, delusional fans... Kirk is the epitome Vikings past... WILL NEVER WIN THE BIG ONE...

Is anyone keeping that big plate of crow warm for me yet?
Post #: 3130
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 2:48:12 PM   
David Levine

*yawn*
Post #: 3131
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 2:51:03 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Face it, Kirk Cousins was like that really bad decision you made to buy stock based on hype and big numbers, failing to look at true market trends, past detractors and what analysts were saying...

Now we all sit around and hope for big rebound...

Good luck with that...

New millennium version of Herschel Walker so far... but... but... fire the OC and replace all with new minds and schemes, Find new OL help... Wash, rinse and repeat...

Its pretty much a perfect match for us Vikings fans, Kirk is that guy who will have huge highs and trick you into the mindset of upside, followed by huge lows and reality smacks you in the face...

We are so used to this we have to cheer and hope... eternal optimists, delusional fans... Kirk is the epitome Vikings past... WILL NEVER WIN THE BIG ONE...

Is anyone keeping that big plate of crow warm for me yet?

Keenum was fools gold, and there were no other good QBs on the market The Vikings got the best QB on the market and in FA that costs money

Cousins wasn't a mistake. Not being sure that the Oline was solid was the problem. Wrong OC was a problem. Tony Sparano Dying was a problem.

I wasn't thrilled with getting Cousins, but he was not the biggest part of the problem.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3132
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 3:22:06 PM   
Ragnarök

Take this season. Just looking at the box scores, Cousins appeared to play well in 2018. He completed 70% of his passes and threw for 4,298 yards and 30 touchdowns. Great numbers, right? Well, nearly a third of his completions did not actually improve the Vikings’ chances of scoring. Only Eli Manning threw more failed completions than Cousins did in 2018…

League leaders in unsuccessful completions (i.e. completed passes with negative EPA):
Manning 109 (31% of all completions)
Cousins 107 (27%)
Stafford 99 (29%)
Prescott 98 (30%)

Cousins is not the root of the Vikings’ offensive problems. Minnesota’s offensive line has been bad and the running game has been ineffective. But Cousins’ enormous price tag has to be factored in. The Vikings had the resources to improve the blocking but chose, instead, to pour all of that money into Cousins with the hope that adding a Pro Bowl-level quarterback would cover up the team’s deficiencies. As the Vikings learned in 2018, Cousins is not capable of playing at a Pro Bowl-level without ideal conditions around him.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/12/nfl-vikings-kirk-cousins-contract-disaster
Post #: 3133
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 3:44:34 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Take this season. Just looking at the box scores, Cousins appeared to play well in 2018. He completed 70% of his passes and threw for 4,298 yards and 30 touchdowns. Great numbers, right? Well, nearly a third of his completions did not actually improve the Vikings’ chances of scoring. Only Eli Manning threw more failed completions than Cousins did in 2018…

League leaders in unsuccessful completions (i.e. completed passes with negative EPA):
Manning 109 (31% of all completions)
Cousins 107 (27%)
Stafford 99 (29%)
Prescott 98 (30%)

Cousins is not the root of the Vikings’ offensive problems. Minnesota’s offensive line has been bad and the running game has been ineffective. But Cousins’ enormous price tag has to be factored in. The Vikings had the resources to improve the blocking but chose, instead, to pour all of that money into Cousins with the hope that adding a Pro Bowl-level quarterback would cover up the team’s deficiencies. As the Vikings learned in 2018, Cousins is not capable of playing at a Pro Bowl-level without ideal conditions around him.

Of course the real number would be the %, where does Cousins 27% rank there?
Post #: 3134
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 3:46:35 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

That's not exactly the case. It's true the Vikings signed Cousins to big contract. They still had a pretty fair amount of cap room afterwards. They chose to spend it on extensions and bolstering the defense instead of an offensive lineman or 2. The idea that Cousins used up all the cap space and prevented the Vikings from other moves is just flat out wrong.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3135
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 4:03:28 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

That's not exactly the case. It's true the Vikings signed Cousins to big contract. They still had a pretty fair amount of cap room afterwards. They chose to spend it on extensions and bolstering the defense instead of an offensive lineman or 2. The idea that Cousins used up all the cap space and prevented the Vikings from other moves is just flat out wrong.

And we will continue to see how Cousins contract effects cap space and signing or keeping talent for next two years...

Read the entire article, it makes makes many more points, flawed or not, some are worth the consideration...

Post #: 3136
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 4:06:16 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

*yawn*

Never has anyone been on such fire with two consecutive posts! The text one was an instant classic.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/15/2019 4:08:13 PM >
Post #: 3137
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 4:15:23 PM   
Bill Johanesen

"The Vikings had the resources to improve the blocking but chose, instead, to pour all of that money into Cousins..."

Do you even proof what you read? Or is it a simple stream of consciousness?

All that money? Fact is, the obsessed old timer who continually rails against Cousins resorts to outright lies. We went on a defensive player extension spree like the cap was unlimited! Results: never have I seen a higher priced defense fold so badly as the Vikings D did for a large chunk of the 2018 season.
Post #: 3138
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 4:18:58 PM   
bohumm

Kirk's contract didn't prevent the team from drafting an interior OL in the first round of the draft.

Kirk does seem to be clearly at fault for the failure of the Mars rover Opportunity, the measles outbreak in Washington state, and the disappointing retail sales numbers reported for January, though. Thought I'd give Ragnarök the weekend off...........feel free to put your phone on silent, friend.
Post #: 3139
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 6:02:22 PM   
Tom Sykes

Kevin Ednie
‏ @kevinednie
12h12 hours ago

Kirk Cousins tweet: Wow I've been working in my basement chemistry lab and discovered a cure for cancer!

Comment (*response tweet from Ragnorak-like fan): Surprised you didn't fumble the beaker.

*appropriated from Mr. Ednie for this board

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/15/2019 6:06:48 PM >
Post #: 3140
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 6:02:49 PM   
marty

Cousins has the same problem Rodgers has, and that is why Rodgers only won 1 SB so far.

Both throw nice deep balls, but don't attack with enough quick passes, the short game. They don't quickly evade a rush and make something happen.

Cousins had a nice start, but plenty of non SB winning QBs like Carson Palmer, Sam Bradford, Fitzpatrick, Goff, have arms, but won't beat you with a quick game, so they lose in the playoffs, or don't make the playoffs.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3141
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 6:10:05 PM   
marty

I'm very much on board for upgrades on the o-line. However, the pieces that I'm very interested in are the o-line coach and scheme. At some point, we have to be able to win without pro-bowl talent everywhere, and that is on the coaches/scheme. I look at the Patriots and they continually keep Brady upright and the pocket clean no matter who they face and what personnel they lose year-to-year. I bet we could swap lines and somehow Brady would stay upright and Cousins would be sack-bait. Yes, Brady can read defenses well and change the play, and they generally scheme to get the ball out quick. But when they need yards, either through the air or on the ground, they just get it done. That's acting as a unit, knowing your assignments and having a winning scheme that your talent can support. I hope to heck we can figure out something that keeps Cousins comfy and allows us to run better, because no matter who we get (rookie or FA) it'll be new folks that need to be coached up and function as a unit.

The part that this b.s. misses, is that it has a lot more to do with Tom Brady than some special OL schemes.

Put Brady on the Vikes, and a HC with kahoonas, and you would see a SB win for the Vikes.

It is Brady getting rid of the ball very quickly and throwing a very accurate and catchable pass. And then throwing it to different areas to make it unpredictable, that makes it much easier for the OL.

Belichek realizes the value, and thought he might have found a QB similar to Brady in Garoppolo. Garoppolo might be a similar talent, but might not have the personable qualities Brady has to get teammates to rally around him. We shall see.

< Message edited by marty -- 2/15/2019 6:16:47 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3142
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 6:14:10 PM   
marty

You losers that are ragging on Rag are just in denial.

How silly your sarcasm will look a few years from now after seeing Cousins falter season after season. I still hold out hope because of the arm, but I think he just doesn't have the quickness, doesn't see things quick enough, or doesn't get the short passes out there quick enough.

I would like to see Sloter play with Diggs and Theilen, or at least wish they would do what seems obvious, and elevate Sloter to 2nd string.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3143
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 6:23:44 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Cousins has the same problem Rodgers has, and that is why Rodgers only won 1 SB so far.

Both throw nice deep balls, but don't attack with enough quick passes, the short game. They don't quickly evade a rush and make something happen.

Cousins had a nice start, but plenty of non SB winning QBs like Carson Palmer, Sam Bradford, Fitzpatrick, Goff, have arms, but won't beat you with a quick game, so they lose in the playoffs, or don't make the playoffs.

You apply that to Rodgers huh?
Post #: 3144
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 6:25:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Kirk's contract didn't prevent the team from drafting an interior OL in the first round of the draft.

Kirk does seem to be clearly at fault for the failure of the Mars rover Opportunity, the measles outbreak in Washington state, and the disappointing retail sales numbers reported for January, though. Thought I'd give Ragnarök the weekend off...........feel free to put your phone on silent, friend.

You forgot about brick and mortar retail...
Post #: 3145
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 6:31:43 PM  1 votes
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

"The Vikings had the resources to improve the blocking but chose, instead, to pour all of that money into Cousins..."

All that money? Fact is, the obsessed old timer who continually rails against Cousins resorts to outright lies. We went on a defensive player extension spree like the cap was unlimited! Results: never have I seen a higher priced defense fold so badly as the Vikings D did for a large chunk of the 2018 season.

Well, since it was a quote from an article I provided and clearly said fact or fiction it was worth reading, am I the one who needs better comprehension?

But whatever.. Im just here to provide some comic relief to this morgue
Post #: 3146
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 6:51:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Well, since it was a quote from an article I provided and clearly said fact or fiction it was worth reading, am I the one who needs better comprehension?

But whatever.. Im just here to provide some comic relief to this morgue

And you're killing it!
Post #: 3147
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 7:12:23 PM   
Ragnarök

Kirk is a very likable guy with a big arm who consistently puts up huge numbers and great stat lines... He is sorta a combination of Christian Ponder and Sam Bradford... So many of you here called Bradford a check down Charlie and discounted his stats, yet are enamored with Kirks numbers line.

What he doesnt have is the heart and killer instinct of a Brett Farve type...

Top level QBs dont let things get in their head and under their skin... Frail psyche's fold in big games, when everyone is looking for them to be the man and carry the team to a victory...

Honestly I still hope to be proven wrong! BUT the signs are all there and this past year did NOTHING to dispel the already problematic trends.

Another game next year like home against Buffalo and then the complete inability to win when in the spotlight, prime time or Monday night and do any of you serious think all we have to do is get in the play offs with Kirk and we have a shot?

Dont forget how long some of you stuck behind Ponder BTW unable to even admit to the negatives...

YOU VIKE THIS!
Post #: 3148
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 7:48:19 PM   
marty

Yes, the bigo, I apply that to Rodgers as well. That is part of the reason for Rodgers losing so many playoff games, or his team not making the playoffs.

Rodgers is a more accurate QB than Cousins, and can throw more types of passes. But they are similar QBs. What both QBs lack is a quick game underneath, like Brady or Favre. Rodgers is still a little bit better at the quick stuff than Cousins, but Rodgers takes a lit of sacks because he has a preference for going deep.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3149
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2019 7:51:50 PM   
marty

Cousins and Rodgers being similar gives me hope that Cousins can win a SB.

In their SB winningseason, Rodgers was fortunate to have a defense that generated a lot of takeaways, combined with Rodgers running for more 1st downs, and they also did a lot of screens their SB year.

So if the Vikes do a lot of screens, Cousins occasionally runs for 1st downs, and the defense can generate a lot of turnovers, then the Vikings can win the SB with Kirk Cousins.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3150
Page:   <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode