Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 2:54:29 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Why is Robison the lynchpin but Newman an afterthought.

Because Newman's presence was still felt while Robison was stuck with his hands in his pocket kicking at stones.
Post #: 3251
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 3:37:18 PM   
Ragnarök

Newman was a Zimm guy, was approached and let know he would be not a part of team plans to play in 2018, was offered a coaching position to keep his veteran leadership qualities with the team...

Classy move...

Robison was approached in Spring when training camp started and bargained with front office to take a pay cut to stay on team for one last year of his career, retire as a Viking, as he saw it hopefully ending with a ring. Worked his ass off through training camp and preseason, then was cut to get to 53 in final round of Sept cuts. Seemed he was totally blindsided by move.

Not so classy move...

No he was not a lynch pin by any means, and if you are a guy that totally discounts locker room presence and team chemistry it was a non issue... Its all a business of grown men being paid very well to do their job as professionals... I get that take totally.

Behind the scenes with Griff incident it may or may not have been an issue... Its all hindsight and speculation now.

The final 6 quarters of Brian Robison's career were not spectacular nor was any of the Viking D, though he will long have the images of Minneapolis Miracle where after Diggs makes the catch Brian is one of the first guys trailing him on sideline running down the field celebrating...

Likely the next casualty will be Griff in 2019, Just has a feel like either he takes a big pay cut, or more likely the team lets him know soon that they will be moving forward without him in plans for 2019 season.

The team will go on playing this season most likely without Barr and Griff and it may make little difference overall as they plug in new younger talent. I do believe both guys for differing reasons were not the factors they should have been as the defense in general disappointed last season.

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/19/2019 3:42:33 PM >
Post #: 3252
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 4:05:29 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I'm with you on that. Robison on the team and we make the playoffs and Griff doesn't blow a gasket. Struggles but overcomes.

Geez. Can conjecture be any purer than that?
Post #: 3253
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 4:15:46 PM   
ambear

The trouble is we are out gunned at the top. That's not on the troopes but on the generals.
Post #: 3254
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 4:16:15 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

So often the team seemed unprepared for the opponents and were very slow to make adjustments. On the game board posters usually always seemed frustrated that were rarely made any noticeable adjustments until half time and often that was after enough damage had been done that games were seeming out of reach already coupled with poor offensive production and the maddening habit of the HC seeming to go into some Turtle Mode even when we were down by 7 as if we were sitting on a lead with absolutely dominating D.

We ended up winning the second game vs. Detroit but where the heck was the double team on Golliday? He was LITERALLY all Detroit had on offense and he was very effective in the first half. In the end we came roaring back from being down 9-0 because, well - Detroit is poor to average.

Oh c'mon, the offense did NOTHING but give the Kitty's offense good field position while Detroit amassed that 9 point lead.

3 Plays, punt.
3 Plays, punt.
3 Plays, punt.
3 Plays, punt.

Remember? And you're ripping on the defense?
Post #: 3255
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 4:36:55 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ambear

The trouble is we are out gunned at the top. That's not on the troopes but on the generals.

Maybe they were put in bad positions but I would say Joseph, Rhodes, Kendricks, Griffen and Barr all had off-years. As did Zimmer.
Post #: 3256
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:08:48 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ambear

Maybe they were put in bad positions but I would say Joseph, Rhodes, Kendricks, Griffen and Barr all had off-years. As did Zimmer.

Speaking of Rhodes, in past years I had heard you guys complain he seemed to milk phantom injuries for small segments of the season. I sort of dismissed it as BS and figured all players get dinged up and need a break occasionally...

But this year it was far more transparent as it appeared he actually was getting roasted in coverage a couple times and pulled up lame, taking himself out of play. Seriously, he is a top corner when his head is in the game, but what to make of this type of effort when he is getting beat by someone?

Seems maybe he is more of a head case than a China Doll? Or as fans do we just not see the whole picture of what it takes to compete at that level and judge too harshly?

Maybe we need a better team psychologist on staff for these new age multi million dollar athlete/players?

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/19/2019 5:10:42 PM >
Post #: 3257
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:14:05 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

So often the team seemed unprepared for the opponents and were very slow to make adjustments. On the game board posters usually always seemed frustrated that were rarely made any noticeable adjustments until half time and often that was after enough damage had been done that games were seeming out of reach already coupled with poor offensive production and the maddening habit of the HC seeming to go into some Turtle Mode even when we were down by 7 as if we were sitting on a lead with absolutely dominating D.

We ended up winning the second game vs. Detroit but where the heck was the double team on Golliday? He was LITERALLY all Detroit had on offense and he was very effective in the first half. In the end we came roaring back from being down 9-0 because, well - Detroit is poor to average.

Oh c'mon, the offense did NOTHING but give the Kitty's offense good field position while Detroit amassed that 9 point lead.

3 Plays, punt.
3 Plays, punt.
3 Plays, punt.
3 Plays, punt.

Remember? And you're ripping on the defense?

There's no excuse for not doubling Golliday. Save your breath.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3258
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:15:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Again, the issue isn't your hate of Cousins, its that your hate for Cousins has become the ONLY thing you bring to the table. Every post is an anti-Cousins article you found that is "full of truths" or a simple regurgitation of something you posted before.

Its every post. Its all noise and no signal.

Its relentless and draining and basically trolling/spamming. You've become the "robocaller" of posters. Sadly "Ignore Poster" may be the closest thing we have to a "RoboKiller" app to block out the noise.

You said it best earlier. He doesn't post with/engage but instead posts 'at' people. In your face trolling.

LOCK HIM UP!

LOCK HIM UP!
Post #: 3259
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:17:35 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Really good stuff, Rags.

I give that 36 hours, tops
Post #: 3260
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:23:01 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Really good stuff, Rags.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Bill.... I could give it a try just to spite you... but not my style...
Post #: 3261
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:33:39 PM   
Bill Johanesen

The cries for Robison are the same as they were for Greenway. People can bring up the VERY subjective 'locker room presence', painted boats, and "kicking at stones" (wow) all they want but both were done, moreso with Greenway as he was a liability. And there was a chorus here that the Vikings "do the right thing" and honor Jared Allen's contract to the very end.

However unfortunate, it's easy to see the big demographic commonality.

You can only suit up 46 on game day, and you have to groom guys with playing time.
Post #: 3262
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:37:52 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

quote:

quote:

Really good stuff, Rags.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Bill.... I could give it a try just to spite you... but not my style...

You'll get no words of encouragement from me. Go find your own 12-step process to get off your obsession.

If in fact you've changed, bravo to other posters and myself for calling you out. When Ian steps in and says what he said point blank, it's because there is a reason.
Post #: 3263
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:46:13 PM   
beo

quote:

The cries for Robison are the same as they were for Greenway. People can bring up the VERY subjective 'locker room presence', painted boats, and "kicking at stones" (wow) all they want but both were done, moreso with Greenway as he was a liability. And there was a chorus here that the Vikings "do the right thing" and honor Jared Allen's contract to the very end.

You can only suit up 46 on game day, and you have to groom guys with playing time.

I will say one difference was Robison wasn't a liability like Greenway at the end... imo anyway... I thought Brian played some of his best ball in the middle of 2017.

(and you didn't say that he was... just pointing it out)

But you got to move on at some point... I think it was the right decision at the time as they had a lot of young guys they were hoping to bring up (Weatherly, Aruna, etc...)

Look at how fast Jared Allen tailed off... it happens.
Post #: 3264
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:48:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

WHAT IS BRIAN ROBISON'S NET WORTH?
Minnesota Vikings DE Brian Robison has career earnings of $42.28M over eleven seasons, which ranks 250th among active NFL players entering 2018. He earned $5M in 2017, which ranked 29th among DEs and 230th overall in the NFL.

$40ish million will make a person kick at stones. The reality of it is he knew it was a business.

Summation: classic overachiever, poor mans rags-to-riches story, benefited from good DL players, teflon armor, fun interviews, energetic type well-suited for live Vikings marketing/promo events.
Post #: 3265
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:49:07 PM   
beo

quote:

Robison was approached in Spring when training camp started and bargained with front office to take a pay cut to stay on team for one last year of his career, retire as a Viking, as he saw it hopefully ending with a ring. Worked his ass off through training camp and preseason, then was cut to get to 53 in final round of Sept cuts. Seemed he was totally blindsided by move.

Not so classy move...

So keeping Brian over a younger player they thought had more to give to the team is "classy move"?

How is that "classy" to the kid that gets cut?
Especially if you could argue the other guy deserved a spot based on training camp merit?
Post #: 3266
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 5:52:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

I will say one difference was Robison wasn't a liability like Greenway at the end... imo anyway... I thought Brian played some of his best ball in the middle of 2017.

But you got to move on at some point... I think it was the right decision at the time as they had a lot of young guys they were hoping to bring up (Weatherly, Aruna, etc...)

Right. Robison was done in the sense his departure was balanced out by retaining a young DE. Greenway was done, done. As in the old adage he was shot.
Post #: 3267
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 6:43:23 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right. Robison was done in the sense his departure was balanced out by retaining a young DE. Greenway was done, done. As in the old adage he was shot.

There were a few things that happened last year that contributed to the atmosphere of the team, but if it was so fragile that these things caused this team to go 8-7-1, then it was a weak to begin with. Someone posted earlier, this (bullsh!t of a season) came from the top and we will see if it gets better or not. If not, the team will move on and try to find that right combination of coaching and players.

Robison also benefited from a really good defensive line coach. Robison was a solid player for the Vikings for a long time, but as a player move, it was the right one. He was good in the locker room, no doubt and I bet it was said more then once that he is missed, but he didn't need to take a roster spot from a better player just to massage a fragile locker room chemistry.
Post #: 3268
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 8:07:13 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really good stuff, Rags.

You'll get no words of encouragement from me. Go find your own 12-step process to get off your obsession.

If in fact you've changed, bravo to other posters and myself for calling you out. When Ian steps in and says what he said point blank, it's because there is a reason.

We cool... I pointed out to Ian I respected that as well as others who gently pointed out I may have been a bit over the top at moment on that subject...

Actually my son who writes for a fan page and gets real interaction with players asked me to tone it down and check my meds!

They upped my dosage and Im all good now, I love me some KC and am ready for draft and free agency to see what we can put around him to make it work this season...

So until the games start I should be good, dont expect a relapse until warranted by actual game day.... hmmm, we need some quality interior linemen huh?
Post #: 3269
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 8:51:05 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really good stuff, Rags.

We cool... I pointed out to Ian I respected that as well as others who gently pointed out I may have been a bit over the top at moment on that subject...

Actually my son who writes for a fan page and gets real interaction with players asked me to tone it down and check my meds!

They upped my dosage and Im all good now, I love me some KC and am ready for draft and free agency to see what we can put around him to make it work this season...

So until the games start I should be good, dont expect a relapse until warranted by actual game day.... hmmm, we need some quality interior linemen huh?

Rags gotta say your douchebaggery has long been a given when you’ve posted, but I gotta say the true measure of a Viking fan is not only can you be there in the dark, effed up times (Which you love to point out) but can you relish/ celebrate in the few, but far between good times.

IMO I only need to go back to the Game day thread (Which tells a lot) and I give you somewhat of a pass on the DB moments as I’ve seen you at least show some positive emotions/ celebrations (Which is more then I can say for some).

Sometimes our own families are our best remedies. Keep it up, your rolling!

< Message edited by kurt bilben -- 2/19/2019 8:57:07 PM >
  Post #: 3270
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 9:22:05 PM   
Jason Dorn

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-defensive-points-per-game

Vikings were 32nd. 2017 tied for 2nd.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-special-teams-points-per-game

Add another .4. 2.6 per game given up via defensive and special team Tds.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef -Defense

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff2018- offense

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats2018- Net

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff - Team efficiency

Unable to find anything on points scored after turnovers. Did it myself unsure of the accuracy but should be close...maybe somebody has this stat.

I got Minnesota scoring 46 points off turnovers with 2 defensive scores for a net of 32 offensive points scored. Minnesota had 54 points scored against off of turnovers with a net of 19 defensive points given up after a turnover. 5 defensive TDs scored against off of turnovers or 35 points.

How that stacks up be interesting. Personally am indifferent towards Cousins and believe the Vikings could have gone 8-7-1 with a rookie QB. Just score some points. Show up in the big games and don't yell at AT or throw the OL under the bus. Oh and cut down on the turnovers- 17 is a lot for a team with SB aspirations.

Skol

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 3271
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 9:24:44 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really good stuff, Rags.

Rags gotta say your douchebaggery has long been a given when you’ve posted, but I gotta say the true measure of a Viking fan is not only can you be there in the dark, effed up times (Which you love to point out) but can you relish/ celebrate in the few, but far between good times.

IMO I only need to go back to the Game day thread (Which tells a lot) and I give you somewhat of a pass on the DB moments as I’ve seen you at least show some positive emotions/ celebrations (Which is more then I can say for some).

Sometimes our own families are our best remedies. Keep it up, your rolling!

Thanks Kurt, I am through and through a Viking fan...

Was born into it, watched my first game with my Grandfather at the Met, Im passionate about the team and also see many of you here as a strange extended family that I have spent many days hanging with virtually since first posting on Strib Board at end of season in 97 when Cunningham flashed what would be in 98... Been a long and winding road to becoming old and jaded, cynical and maybe even little unbearable at times?

Ive found a happy place as of late, when I get the urge to post something glaringly negative I click on a link, take a deep breath and let the words and heavy blues rock fusion absorb my negativity and put me in a better place... I cannot say that I wont again be very vocal again on Game Day thread, but for now Im in check here... Thanks guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAKheilC4fg
Post #: 3272
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 10:07:17 PM   
Viking Rich

Robby Anderson would be a nice pick up at WR. I can imagine what he could do in a dome compared to being in the cold in NY. But the Jets have so much Cap space, they could re-sign him easily.

And he's still only 25.

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 3273
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2019 10:48:50 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

Robby Anderson would be a nice pick up at WR. I can imagine what he could do in a dome compared to being in the cold in NY. But the Jets have so much Cap space, they could re-sign him easily.

And he's still only 25.

Absolutely. He would be a fantastic acquisition for us. Almost the perfect addition to round out what could become the best WR trio in the league.
Post #: 3274
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 1:06:37 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Not so classy move...

So keeping Brian over a younger player they thought had more to give to the team is "classy move"?

How is that "classy" to the kid that gets cut?
Especially if you could argue the other guy deserved a spot based on training camp merit?

robison was great, but his career was over...he played 11 years in the nfl, made a lot of money for his family - he's proud of what he's done...the vikings had just gone through that with greenway - he stayed a year or two too long....

sure, it was sad to see brian go, but that's the way of the league when you refuse to accept the facts of your own physical abilities....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3275
Page:   <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode