Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 10:27:36 AM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/02/how-much-would-a-star-no-3-receiver-impact-the-vikings-offense/

Interesting article, couple of my takeaways:

We did not take advantage of our RB's receiving skills
Defenses do not fear anyone other than Diggs/Thielan - we need upgrades at WR3 and TE
Cousins needs to be more aggressive, give them additional chances

This post and the linked article are spot on. What makes it so frustrating (typical Viking fan frustration at that) is that you could copy/paste this post into 02/23/2018 and it would be just as correct and obvious. Putting Treadwell on the field in 2018 was as good as the coaches saying F it - we just won't go to the playoffs this season.

Coaches and GM. Jarius Wright never looked overmatched the way Treadwell has. He had good speed, a knack for getting open on 3rd down, and good hands. It makes one wonder about the Vikings ability to evaluate wide receiver talent and/or how they weigh in where they drafted a player. Two home runs with Thielan and Diggs and one fail with Treadwell.

I've been clamoring for more dangerous receiving weapons for 3 years. Sure, Diggs and AT are great. But neither are a big bodied type of receiver who can win jump balls and physically impose their will on a DB. A sure handed fast TE would do wonders for this team. I love Rudy, but he holds this offense back.

Zimmer and Spielman have routinely invested high draft capital on defense, but have settled for less on offense, especially at the skilled receiving positions. They also have sucked at attracting any weapons in Free Agency.

I agree that there has been a complete failure with the GM and coaching staff in evaluating receiving talent. That's what I loved about Denny Green. He made sure you had the weapons to compete. The last several years the Vikings have brought in the likes of Bernard Berrian, Charles Johnson, Michael Floyd, Marcus Robinson, Travis Taylor, Bobby Wade, Jerome Simpson, and more I can't remember.

The only ones that have ever excited me are Mike Wallace (actually a trade), and to a degree, Greg Jennings. Neither of them really shined under Frazier or Zim.

Look the team today. Thank God for UDFAs and 5th round draft picks.

Hopefully Kubiak can convince Spielman to bring in another capable receiver or TE, and implement an effective offense.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 3326
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 11:09:55 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/02/how-much-would-a-star-no-3-receiver-impact-the-vikings-offense/

Defenses do not fear anyone other than Diggs/Thielan - we need upgrades at WR3 and TE

This post and the linked article are spot on. What makes it so frustrating (typical Viking fan frustration at that) is that you could copy/paste this post into 02/23/2018 and it would be just as correct and obvious. Putting Treadwell on the field in 2018 was as good as the coaches saying F it - we just won't go to the playoffs this season.

Coaches and GM. Jarius Wright never looked overmatched the way Treadwell has. He had good speed, a knack for getting open on 3rd down, and good hands. It makes one wonder about the Vikings ability to evaluate wide receiver talent and/or how they weigh in where they drafted a player. Two home runs with Thielan and Diggs and one fail with Treadwell.

I've been clamoring for more dangerous receiving weapons for 3 years. Sure, Diggs and AT are great. But neither are a big bodied type of receiver who can win jump balls and physically impose their will on a DB. A sure handed fast TE would do wonders for this team. I love Rudy, but he holds this offense back.

Zimmer and Spielman have routinely invested high draft capital on defense, but have settled for less on offense, especially at the skilled receiving positions. They also have sucked at attracting any weapons in Free Agency.

I agree that there has been a complete failure with the GM and coaching staff in evaluating receiving talent. That's what I loved about Denny Green. He made sure you had the weapons to compete. The last several years the Vikings have brought in the likes of Bernard Berrian, Charles Johnson, Michael Floyd, Marcus Robinson, Travis Taylor, Bobby Wade, Jerome Simpson, and more I can't remember.

The only ones that have ever excited me are Mike Wallace (actually a trade), and to a degree, Greg Jennings. Neither of them really shined under Frazier or Zim.

Hopefully Kubiak can convince Spielman to bring in another capable receiver or TE, and implement an effective offense.

I once had hope for Derrick Alexander. He was two years removed from a 1400 yd, 10 TD, 18 ypc season.

Later we went all in for Chicago rejects D'Wayne Bates and Marcus Robinson.

Soon, Travis Taylor was our WR threat.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/24/2019 11:19:14 AM >
Post #: 3327
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 11:15:39 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I give the Vikings braintrust ZERO credit for seeing something in Theilen at WR. WALK ON, signed, WAIVED, signed to PS. Then he worked his way up through special teams.

After going undrafted in the 2013 NFL Draft, Thielen attended a rookie tryout and evaluation session at Winter Park with the Minnesota Vikings. On May 6, 2013, the Minnesota Vikings signed Thielen to a three-year, $1.48 million contract as an undrafted free agent.[11] On August 31, 2013, the Minnesota Vikings waived Thielen as part of their final roster cuts (along with 18 others), but was signed to the practice squad the next day.[12] He saw some preseason action as a wide receiver and on special teams
Post #: 3328
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 11:17:11 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Beebe is a player and certainly would be a very good slot wr provided he can stay healthy.

I don't mind Robinson provided he is the 4th wr. He has deep speed and proved he can catch the deep ball.

Not sure why we got rid of Jarius he was very good when put on the field.

Coley had promise but had a drop and gets cut. Meanwhile Treadwell had 5 drops.

No doubt we need to take a wr at some point. TE class is 5 deep.

Wright left then we signed a Wright. I thought he was going to make the team.

Coley didn't have any more promise than every other player and PS guy.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/24/2019 11:18:23 AM >
Post #: 3329
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 12:35:49 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

A third receiver would be great. Tread is not the answer at all. We need someone who can line up in the slot and run quick routes. Maybe Robinson is that guy?

Beebe looked good in that role before he got hurt. His durability is a big question to me. To be fair to him, I don't know his injury history but he's small so that raises questions for me. That role is critical though.

As far as defenses not fearing anyone, why bother? We gave Cousins about 1.5 seconds before someone was on his ass so cover both Diggs/AT, and by the time Cousins even had a chance to look for #3, it was over.

It was 1 game but (and I forget the game) the game Beebe was featured in the first quarter he was tearing them up. Our gameplan looked like we knew #1 and #2 were going to be covered so just concentrate on Beebe until they loosened up. I actually had a lot of hope for the O after that game. It disappeared quickly after....

First Detroit game.

I liked what I saw with Beebe and loved hearing our defense couldn't cover him in practice. Extremely small sample size. He's probably going to be a slot guy which reduces Thielan's slot snaps. And doesn't stretch a defense (quicker but I think same top end speed as Treadwell).

If Beebe is the guy, then we better damn well have a TE who can go vertical and force the issue with safeties. Otherwise it will be this article every game next year since it's now on tape.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3330
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 1:06:24 PM   
Pager

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/22/ravens-have-most-compensatory-picks-in-history/

List of teams with the most comp picks in history (since 94) and teams with the fewest.

I could not find a source that listed all 32 teams' comps picks since they started it. If anyone has it, and could post it, I'd appreciate it.

Post #: 3331
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 1:50:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Odd time to bring that up considering we currently have arguably the top receiving tandem in the league.
Post #: 3332
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 2:57:53 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Odd time to bring that up considering we currently have arguably the top receiving tandem in the league.

We also had arguably the worst #3 WR for a good chunk of last season.
Post #: 3333
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 3:41:33 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Odd you completely dismissed the rest of my post.

Once teams figured out that you take away Diggs and Thielen, we had nothing left.

I'm happy we were able to get production from them, but because they are used so extensively with so little help, they are really dinged at the end of the season.

That was a really informative article Pager attached to his post. You should read it sometime.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 3334
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 6:17:56 PM   
David F.

#3 WR is a problem for sure but it's not the biggest problem. Obviously O-Line is the biggest problem and #3 WR is the the 3rd biggest problem. The #2 problem (which is a significantly bigger problem than #3 WR) is #1 TE. No speed, no elusiveness - no threat. If I'm an opposing D-coordinator I force Rudolph to beat me 100%. The only team we overcame this was Detroit in the 2nd game - when they had absolutely nothing left on their roster.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3335
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 8:41:54 PM   
Pager

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-shanahan-kirk-cousins-qb-152952728.html

Que in 3,2,1

Post #: 3336
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 12:15:41 AM   
Ragnarök

According to CBS Sports, the Vikings have the 10th toughest schedule in the league next season. They also have seven games against teams that made the playoffs in 2019, and their opponents in 2019 posted an overall winning percentage of .512 in 2018.
Post #: 3337
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 1:17:58 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

#3 WR is a problem for sure but it's not the biggest problem. Obviously O-Line is the biggest problem and #3 WR is the the 3rd biggest problem. The #2 problem (which is a significantly bigger problem than #3 WR) is #1 TE. No speed, no elusiveness - no threat. If I'm an opposing D-coordinator I force Rudolph to beat me 100%. The only team we overcame this was Detroit in the 2nd game - when they had absolutely nothing left on their roster.

what about someone like michael crabtree at $3m/yr....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3338
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 9:06:17 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

I'd say Eric Ebron would solve our problem so long as they cut Rudolph (we'd need the money). Otherwise Jarred Cook (age 32) and a draft pick would also do. #3 WR is irrelevant until we have a TE that is a threat.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3339
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 12:20:47 PM   
SoMnFan

I realize we really never have to deal with kicker issues much here ...
I just find it interesting who's out there, and who's doing well.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Kicker Robbie Gould, one of the first free agents signed by the San Francisco 49ers when coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch took over in 2017, will be around for at least one more season after he received the team's franchise tag on Tuesday.
He is the first player to receive the franchise designation this offseason.
The 2019 franchise tag for punters and kickers is projected to be just more than $5 million on the one-year tender offer. That money would be fully guaranteed should Gould elect to sign it, and the two sides can continue working on a long-term deal until the July 15 deadline.

Highest FG Percentage: Past 3 Seasons
Robbie Gould has made 82 of 85 field goals (96.5 percent) over the past three seasons, the highest percentage in the NFL. He led the league in field goal percentage at 97.1 percent last season when he actually missed more extra points (two) than field goals (one).

Player
Pct.

Robbie Gould 96.5%
Justin Tucker 93.0%
Matt Bryant 90.7%

Gould received the non-exclusive tag, meaning he can receive offers from other teams, but the 49ers can match any offer sheet he might sign.
Since 2009, half of the 12 kickers that have received the franchise tag then have gone on to sign new contracts with the team that tagged them.
Before tagging Gould, the 49ers attempted to work out a long-term contract with him. Lynch said at Senior Bowl in January that the team was "hopeful" it would be able to re-sign Gould and acknowledged talks had been underway.
"He's kicked unbelievably for us," Lynch said. "He's been incredibly clutch for us. We'd like to reward him for that."
But with the two sides unable to work out a deal, the Niners, who project to have more than $70 million in salary cap space, opted to use the tag in order to prevent Gould from leaving without a chance to match outside offers and/or receive compensation for him.
Gould is the first Niners player to be tagged since safety Dashon Goldson in 2012 and the first kicker the team has opted to give the designation since the tag's inception.
Based on Gould's productivity in two seasons with the team, it's no surprise the Niners elected to retain control of his rights.
San Francisco signed Gould to a two-year, $4 million contract via free agency after he'd converted all 10 of his field goals in 2016 for the New York Giants, where he resurfaced after being released by the Chicago Bears, where he'd spent the first 11 years of his career.
Over the past two seasons, Robbie Gould has made 72-of-75 field goal attempts, and his 96 percent conversion rate is tops in the NFL. Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
Gould quickly acclimated to the normally difficult kicking conditions at Levi's Stadium and has been the most accurate kicker in the league since. Over the past two seasons, he has made 72 of 75 field goal attempts, and his 96 percent conversion rate is tops in the NFL with only the Baltimore Ravens and Los Angeles Rams attempting more field goals in that time.
All of that was enough to easily make Gould the Niners' most important free agent in an offseason in which only a couple of fringe starters on offense and defense are set to hit the open market.
"Of course we want Robbie back," Shanahan said at the end of the season. "He's been great for two years. It's nice for a coach, that ... I'm not thinking about him missing [kicks] at all."
Shanahan's desire to keep Gould can be traced to previous teams he's coached in which kicking has been a serious issue. In two seasons with Houston (2008-09), the Texans made 76.9 percent of their field goal attempts, which ranked 28th in the NFL in that span. When Shanahan ran the Washington Redskins' offense, they converted just 75.8 percent of field goals from 2010 to 2013, the worst in the NFL in that period. In Shanahan's one year in charge of Cleveland Browns' offense, they were successful on just 78.1 percent of their attempts, also 28th in the NFL.
Combined, kickers on teams for which Shanahan called plays in his first seven years made 175 of 229 attempts -- a 76.4 percent conversion rate that would rank dead last in the NFL and well below the league average of 83.7 percent for those seven seasons.
The 49ers' decision to tag Gould comes after a couple of months in which it seemed a reunion with the Bears could be in the offing for the kicker, whose family lives in Chicago during the season while he has stayed at a hotel near the 49ers' facility.
While indicating he would be open to a Windy City reconciliation, Gould also expressed that staying in San Francisco would be a good thing.
"It's probably been the best two-year stretch I've had in my career, one of the best in the history of the game, and that happens with a lot of great people, right?" Gould said after the season. "... It just kind of worked since I've been here. And it's been pretty easy. So, the organization checks a lot of boxes for me."
Post #: 3340
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 12:26:22 PM   
David F.

Our kicking problem left town and headed for Cleveland. We can put present-day Donald Igwebuike back there and do just fine now.

Post #: 3341
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 4:04:02 PM   
Todd M

Jared Allen's jump into curling is funny and interesting.

Forgot how much I loved that guy. Landing him was an awesome moment in our history.

https://www.facebook.com/minnesotavikings/videos/398780487333729/

< Message edited by Todd M -- 2/26/2019 4:16:21 PM >
Post #: 3342
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 6:50:53 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Led league in drops I believe. Eight. As he ages, he will soon intersect with Treadwell.
Post #: 3343
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 6:52:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd say Eric Ebron would solve our problem so long as they cut Rudolph (we'd need the money). Otherwise Jarred Cook (age 32) and a draft pick would also do. #3 WR is irrelevant until we have a TE that is a threat.

And TE is irrelevant until we solve the OL.

Point is, it's ok to discuss OTHER needs.
Post #: 3344
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 6:59:42 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Led league in drops I believe. Eight. As he ages, he will soon intersect with Treadwell.

Correct.
He'll be 32 next season, and quite a bit past his prime, and slow. On the other hand, he's great for 7 yards on 3rd and 8.
Post #: 3345
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 11:12:27 PM   
Ragnarök

Ebron TE is signed with Colts for 2019... we should have brought him in last year when Kitties cut him! would have gone a long ways, looked great in 2018 for Colts...

Cincy is looking to move John Ross and his 2M rookie deal, he is fast and would make an interesting #3... for 2018 Ross had 21 catches for 210 yards and seven touchdowns, Speedy guy...

Send Cincy Treadwell and a low round 6th or 7th and call it a day!

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/26/2019 11:15:04 PM >
Post #: 3346
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 11:22:09 PM   
Ragnarök

Mike Klis, a beat writer covering the Denver Broncos, suggests that the Vikings are showing interest in current Broncos’ offensive lineman Billy Turner. The connection is with new offensive advisor Gary Kubiak, who worked with Turner this past season.

Turner is a Minnesota native who played his high school football at Mounds View High School, and played his college ball at North Dakota State University. He was a third-round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2014, but was let go by Miami in 2016. After a brief stay in Baltimore. . .he was with the Ravens for three days. . .he was picked up by the Broncos off of waivers.

Turner has the sort of versatility that the Vikings’ coaching staff might want as they attempt to revamp their offensive line. He started four games for the Broncos at right tackle this season, and then started seven games at left guard. He’s not necessarily a sexy name in the free agent market, but if Rick Dennison and company think they can work with him and continue his development, it’s possible the Vikings could take a run at him.

Latavius Murray declares he’s looking for a starting role

Which means he likely won’t be back in Minnesota https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/2/26/18242339/latavius-murray-looking-starting-role-minnesota-vikings
Post #: 3347
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2019 11:33:33 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Mike Klis, a beat writer covering the Denver Broncos, suggests that the Vikings are showing interest in current Broncos’ offensive lineman Billy Turner. The connection is with new offensive advisor Gary Kubiak, who worked with Turner this past season.

Turner is a Minnesota native who played his high school football at Mounds View High School, and played his college ball at North Dakota State University. He was a third-round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2014, but was let go by Miami in 2016. After a brief stay in Baltimore. . .he was with the Ravens for three days. . .he was picked up by the Broncos off of waivers.

Turner has the sort of versatility that the Vikings’ coaching staff might want as they attempt to revamp their offensive line. He started four games for the Broncos at right tackle this season, and then started seven games at left guard. He’s not necessarily a sexy name in the free agent market, but if Rick Dennison and company think they can work with him and continue his development, it’s possible the Vikings could take a run at him.

Latavius Murray declares he’s looking for a starting role

Which means he likely won’t be back in Minnesota https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/2/26/18242339/latavius-murray-looking-starting-role-minnesota-vikings

A good chunk of the Broncos' OL is entering free agency; I'd almost be surprised if we don't sign at least one of them. Max Garcia, coming off an ACL, is another, as well as ol' Matt Paradis.
Post #: 3348
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2019 12:01:36 AM   
David F.

quote:

Ebron TE is signed with Colts for 2019... we should have brought him in last year when Kitties cut him! would have gone a long ways, looked great in 2018 for Colts...

Cincy is looking to move John Ross and his 2M rookie deal, he is fast and would make an interesting #3... for 2018 Ross had 21 catches for 210 yards and seven touchdowns, Speedy guy...

Well shoot. walterfootball had him in their list of free agents. http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019TE.php

Post #: 3349
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2019 12:42:49 AM   
JT2

quote:

Nobody wants Treadwell. He has zero value. He's a bust. Recognize it, and move on.

Ross is a burner. Has shown nothing more. Not a good route runner, small, and not great hands. We may already have an older version of him on our roster. I'm not good with either of them as our 3WR
Post #: 3350
Page:   <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode