Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  146 147 [148] 149 150   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 3:24:09 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It enables them to keep a player on the roster for a few weeks. That might be very welcome come cut down day.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3676
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 3:37:08 PM   
David Levine

Vikings’ Holton Hill suspended four games for violating NFL policy on PEDs
By CHRIS TOMASSON | ctomasson@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: April 5, 2019 at 3:12 pm | UPDATED: April 5, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Vikings will be without a key player in the secondary at the start of next season.

The NFL announced Friday that cornerback Holton Hill will be suspended for the first four regular-season games for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Hill started three games last season as an undrafted rookie out of Texas. After not playing much early in the year, he was a key contributor late in the season. In the end, he played 36 percent of Minnesota’s defensive plays in 2018.

Hill will be allowed to take part in all Vikings activities during spring workouts, training camp and the preseason. The NFL regular-season schedule comes out later this month.

The Vikings did add some depth Friday to the secondary. They signed cornerback Duke Thomas and safety Derron Smith, who had both been with the San Antonio Commanders before the Alliance of American Football folded earlier this week.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/05/vikings-cb-holton-hill-suspended-four-games-for-violating-nfl-policy-on-peds/
Post #: 3677
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 3:55:12 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

In-depth, players telling all type stuff about Erin vs McCarthy, and Erin's disposition:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Fun reading that. The only thing that would make the whole story better is if Rodgers had been shut completely out of ever getting a ring.

So true
Ruined a great tell-all, the realization that he has a ring.

I'm sure marty will be along soon to emphasize that point is his weirdly disguised and passive-aggressive way.
Post #: 3678
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 4:07:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Vikings will be without a key player in the secondary at the start of next season.

The NFL announced Friday that cornerback Holton Hill will be suspended for the first four regular-season games for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Hill started three games last season as an undrafted rookie out of Texas. After not playing much early in the year, he was a key contributor late in the season. In the end, he played 36 percent of Minnesota’s defensive plays in 2018.

Hill will be allowed to take part in all Vikings activities during spring workouts, training camp and the preseason. The NFL regular-season schedule comes out later this month.

The Vikings did add some depth Friday to the secondary. They signed cornerback Duke Thomas and safety Derron Smith, who had both been with the San Antonio Commanders before the Alliance of American Football folded earlier this week.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/05/vikings-cb-holton-hill-suspended-four-games-for-violating-nfl-policy-on-peds/

Not the kind of drugs that I expected him to get suspended for.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3679
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 4:16:11 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Pfff, that suspension won't stop folks here clamoring for a Waynes trade. And nevermind Hughes had his surgery during the season!

Rhodes, Mac, the AAF guy.
Post #: 3680
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 5:13:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It increases the liklihood of drafting another corner. I think they were already going to do it, though.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3681
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 6:33:28 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Not the kind of drugs that I expected him to get suspended for.

They don't specify usually what he took or toked.

Ban substance.

I'm sure he was sequestered for a drug test after the Roc Thomas raid.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3682
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 6:34:22 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

It increases the liklihood of drafting another corner. I think they were already going to do it, though.

#18 the Vikings pick Greedy Williams

Post #: 3683
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 6:56:47 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
7m7 minutes ago
NFL announces that #Vikings CB Holton Hill has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2019 regular season for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances.

VikingUpdate.com@VikingUpdate
8m8 minutes ago
Holton Hill, the promising rookie cornerback for the #Vikings last year, has been suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances. He is eligible to participate in all offseason and preseason practices and games.

That all but guarantees the Vikes will NOT trade Trae Waynes now.

Rudy may have just become candidate #1 for trade/cut/cap relief

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 3684
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2019 7:36:33 PM   
Dave Odle

The Packer article confirmed what I've often thought of Rodgers. He leads through alienation of family and teammates. He just figures that he's so good, that people would bow to him and they did for a long time. He deserves every bit of heat he gets as being the most responsible for losses now. He hogged the cap and hypnotized the team into believing his presence means everything. He did such a good job that the team falls apart when he's hurt. Just ridiculous.

< Message edited by Dave Odle -- 4/5/2019 7:37:39 PM >

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 3685
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2019 1:52:36 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
7m7 minutes ago
NFL announces that #Vikings CB Holton Hill has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2019 regular season for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances.

VikingUpdate.com@VikingUpdate
8m8 minutes ago
Holton Hill, the promising rookie cornerback for the #Vikings last year, has been suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances. He is eligible to participate in all offseason and preseason practices and games.

That all but guarantees the Vikes will NOT trade Trae Waynes now.

Rudy may have just become candidate #1 for trade/cut/cap relief

i think that you're right...spotrac has our projected draft pool cap at $6.9m and at this moment our cap is at $2.7m without factoring the draft pool....

also, with things as they are, i'd consider extending waynes, e.g., $50m/5yrs and a $20m signing bonus - to lower his cap hit this season...that could bring waynes' number down to $5m in 2019 and 2020 - then $13.3 each of the next three seasons....

next season we'll have to consider rhodes, joseph and griffen to develop cap space...and for that reason, i'm thinking that spielman does draft a dt early - maybe use our 4th to move up in the 2nd....

o-line
dt

or

dt
o-line - trade up for lindstrom ford risner little....

if there isn't a game-changing te in the 3rd then i'd just go bpa all the way out....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 4/6/2019 3:10:03 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3686
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2019 4:34:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

Not worried one bit about losing Hill for 4 games....Kearse and Harris are very good (3 Safety/Nickel Safetys).

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3687
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2019 6:07:56 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Not worried one bit about losing Hill for 4 games....Kearse and Harris are very good (3 Safety/Nickel Safetys).

Alrighty... we can roll out Kearse at CB! Even more reason to trade Waynes!

Hill keeps the regime on their toes, "You thought I'd get busted for MJ, try PEDs suckas!"

With 'logic' like that, of course you are not worried one bit
Post #: 3688
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2019 6:12:52 PM   
Todd M

Trouble made him slide out of the draft and he is building a professional resume of off the field stuff as much as on the field stuff one year in. Not promising.
Post #: 3689
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2019 6:52:15 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Hill keeps the regime on their toes, "You thought I'd get busted for MJ, try PEDs suckas!"

Cmon Bill...In what other position do they have that much depth? Rhodes, Waynes, Mac, and Hughes....plus Kearse has played Nickel CB before. Hill missing 4 games, really not going to be a problem unless someone else is injured.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/6/2019 9:25:50 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3690
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 8:49:22 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cmon Bill...In what other position do they have that much depth? Rhodes, Waynes, Mac, and Hughes....plus Kearse has played Nickel CB before. Hill missing 4 games, really not going to be a problem unless someone else is injured.

Chances are Hughes will not be ready to start the season

Hill is out the first 4 games

Trading Waynes would be suicide

Post #: 3691
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 10:12:34 AM   
Tom Sykes

You’re slipping Ragnarok.

I expected to come in here this morning and hear about how Cousins’ big-game ineptitude ...

willed MSU to lose yeterday.
Post #: 3692
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 10:12:49 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed. Whether to trade Waynes is a decision that better not be made in a vacuum of four games revolving around the idiot Hill. Instead, they are probably looking at the bigger picture:

Hill. The only proven thing about Hill is his problem with substances of all sorts. The going in position is to assume Hill finds ways to ban himself out of the league.

Mac. A FA next year, and it hasn't exactly been a lovefest.

Hughes. Unproven plus who knows how he will be after the knee.

Rhodes. Oft injured, Isn't the Rhodes from two years ago.

If we trade Waynes, next year Kearse just might have to play nickel!
Post #: 3693
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 10:25:16 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed. Whether to trade Waynes is a decision that better not be made in a vacuum of four games revolving around the idiot Hill. Instead, they are probably looking at the bigger picture:

Hill. The only proven thing about Hill is his problem with substances of all sorts. The going in position is to assume Hill finds ways to ban himself out of the league.

alexander and kearse are not even signed for next season....

i was thrilled to have hill, but he's turned out to be a total flake - very disappointing and at this point, we can't count on him for anything...he has to reprove himself to the team starting at zero....

hughes is coming off of a major injury....

i say, give waynes an extension and lower his cap hit for a couple of seasons....

Post #: 3694
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 11:03:27 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

i was thrilled to have hill, but he's turned out to be a total flake - very disappointing and at this point, we can't count on him for anything...he has to reprove himself to the team starting at zero....

i say, give waynes an extension and lower his cap hit for a couple of seasons....

We are trying to to find two coins to rub together to extend Thielen ... who vastly deserves it. Maybe extending Waynes will free up some money that could help but, in the end, we are also adding another big ticket defensive item to the cap.

Hunter Joseph Griffith Kendricks Barr Rhodes Smith Waynes.

Cousins Diggs Reiff Rudolph Thielen

I don't know. I think if you focus hard enough, you can find weaknesses in any position of strength. From a starting talent / depth standpoint I would say DE and CB are the positions of strength on this team. (Spielman has spoiled Zimmer).

Do we move forward by holding the strength of our current roster together for as long as possible - or - do we give some of our strength away to theoretically improve the weaker parts?
Post #: 3695
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 11:56:26 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We are trying to to find two coins to rub together to extend Thielen ... who vastly deserves it. Maybe extending Waynes will free up some money that could help but, in the end, we are also adding another big ticket defensive item to the cap.

I don't know. I think if you focus hard enough, you can find weaknesses in any position of strength. From a starting talent / depth standpoint I would say DE and CB are the positions of strength on this team. (Spielman has spoiled Zimmer).

Do we move forward by holding the strength of our current roster together for as long as possible - or - do we give some of our strength away to theoretically improve the weaker parts?

Trade Waynes for a 3rd. Then for the first month of the season of 2019 roll out the following CBs:

- Outside: Rhodes
- Outside: Mac
- Slot: the AAF guy

Depth
- None, although there is a guy named James on the roster.

Post #: 3696
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 12:00:21 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

It enables them to keep a player on the roster for a few weeks. That might be very welcome come cut down day.

Then hopefully a few more players will get suspended.

Roster flexibility!
Post #: 3697
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 12:01:07 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Trade Waynes for a 3rd. Then for the first month of the season of 2019 roll out the following CBs:

- Outside: Rhodes
- Outside: Mac
- Slot: the AAF guy

Depth
- None, although there is a guy named James on the roster.

i wrote this yesterday....

i'd consider extending waynes, e.g., $50m/5yrs and a $20m signing bonus - to lower his cap hit this season...that could bring waynes' number down to $5m in 2019 and 2020 - then $13.3 each of the next three seasons....

i would add that i see us letting rhodes go in two years and riding with waynes, hughes and whoever else we've got - hopefully hill gets his shit together - his behavior might make it easier/cheaper to sign him to an extension in two years...also, we should try to keep alexander if possible....

regarding cap space - spielman needs to draft a little smarter than he has been...he should have drafted an o-lineman, lb and te last year so we wouldn't have to deal with it this year's draft in such a desperate manner...we could have said good-bye to barr and rudolph and been in a better place with the o-line....

now in this year's draft he should be looking forward to replacing joseph next season with a rookie drafted this year and rudolph with a te drafted this year and maybe reiff with an o-lineman drafted this year....

part of our struggle financially is that we cannot cut any high-priced vets because spielman hasn't done his work by having a replacement ready to go....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 4/7/2019 12:14:16 PM >

Post #: 3698
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 12:26:21 PM   
Pager

Just my 2 cents on the team/cbs/depth

Heading into the draft last year, I didn't think CB was worthy of a high draft pick. Last year we had Rhodes coming off a dominant performance, Waynes showing signs of improvement, Mac - heading into bust territory, the ageless wonder., and no depth. This year. Rhodes coming off an injury riddled/average year, Waynes above average year, Mac was one of the best slot corners in the second half, Hill - showing signs of competence as a rookie, and hughes coming off injury after picking up the scheme faster than anyone. And some depth (Duke Thomas is potentially decent #6). I would be more worried about Hill if the suspension was MJ related. A PED suspension will get knocked down to 2 games.

If Zimmer believes Rhodes will back bounce, Mac can be second half Mac, and if progress on Hughes is positive, we have so much more depth than last year. I think we can only keep 1 of Mac or Waynes long term. I like Waynes but depending on market and return, I'm still ok if we trade him. I trust Zimmer on corners absolutely.

Our Dline is better than most make it out. Hunter is a monster and cheap (Lawrence deal 21M and Hunter was more productive). I don't think he's reached his potential yet. Griff will get fewer snaps but be more productive. Got a lot of development guys enter their 2 and 3rd years @ DE. J Johnson showed some legit flashes. Holmes drew positive reviews. Stephens can help with the run game. My gawd if our 3 Tackle is our worst defensive player we should return to 2017 level. More depth at Linebacker as Wilson looked like a play maker. Harris a full year will be better than Sandejo.

I still hope for a offensive loaded draft. OL, TE, WR.

< Message edited by Pager -- 4/7/2019 12:27:53 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3699
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 12:37:11 PM   
Bill Jandro

i'd consider extending waynes, e.g., $50m/5yrs and a $20m signing bonus - to lower his cap hit this season...that could bring waynes' number down to $5m in 2019 and 2020 - then $13.3 each of the next three seasons....

I like Waynes but I'm not a fan of back loading contracts.

Barr's is back loaded as is Cousins to a lesser extent.

In the past we front loaded contracts which gave us flexibility to go after a decent FA or two.

A 500 team shouldn't be doing this. The Wilf's are inexperienced owners so Spielman is going to keep doing this so he can keep caching a pay check. But the next GM will be buried in cap hell.

Post #: 3700
Page:   <<   < prev  146 147 [148] 149 150   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  146 147 [148] 149 150   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode