Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  147 148 [149] 150 151   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 1:39:46 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Not worried one bit about losing Hill for 4 games....Kearse and Harris are very good (3 Safety/Nickel Safetys).

Alrighty... we can roll out Kearse at CB! Even more reason to trade Waynes!

Hill keeps the regime on their toes, "You thought I'd get busted for MJ, try PEDs suckas!"

With 'logic' like that, of course you are not worried one bit

Cmon Bill...In what other position do they have that much depth? Rhodes, Waynes, Mac, and Hughes....plus Kearse has played Nickel CB before. Hill missing 4 games, really not going to be a problem unless someone else is injured.

Chances are Hughes will not be ready to start the season

Hill is out the first 4 games

Trading Waynes would be suicide

Agreed. Whether to trade Waynes is a decision that better not be made in a vacuum of four games revolving around the idiot Hill. Instead, they are probably looking at the bigger picture:

Hill. The only proven thing about Hill is his problem with substances of all sorts. The going in position is to assume Hill finds ways to ban himself out of the league.

Mac. A FA next year, and it hasn't exactly been a lovefest.

Hughes. Unproven plus who knows how he will be after the knee.

Rhodes. Oft injured, Isn't the Rhodes from two years ago.

If we trade Waynes, next year Kearse just might have to play nickel!

alexander and kearse are not even signed for next season....

i was thrilled to have hill, but he's turned out to be a total flake - very disappointing and at this point, we can't count on him for anything...he has to reprove himself to the team starting at zero....

hughes is coming off of a major injury....

i say, give waynes an extension and lower his cap hit for a couple of seasons....

We are trying to to find two coins to rub together to extend Thielen ... who vastly deserves it. Maybe extending Waynes will free up some money that could help but, in the end, we are also adding another big ticket defensive item to the cap.

Hunter Joseph Griffith Kendricks Barr Rhodes Smith Waynes.

Cousins Diggs Reiff Rudolph Thielen

I don't know. I think if you focus hard enough, you can find weaknesses in any position of strength. From a starting talent / depth standpoint I would say DE and CB are the positions of strength on this team. (Spielman has spoiled Zimmer).

Do we move forward by holding the strength of our current roster together for as long as possible - or - do we give some of our strength away to theoretically improve the weaker parts?

Trade Waynes for a 3rd. Then for the first month of the season of 2019 roll out the following CBs:

- Outside: Rhodes
- Outside: Mac
- Slot: the AAF guy

Depth
- None, although there is a guy named James on the roster.

That's not even worst case scenario ... that's just scare tactic.

More likely

- Slot: Kearse / Maybe Mac
- Outside: Mac / Maybe first rd. pick Hughes

That we know of. There are still FINAL CB roster spots that are wide open.

And if we trade Waynes, maybe a drafted mid-round CB thrown in the mix. There will already be a late rd. one for sure.

Not to mention the 5-6 other roster-filler CBs we will be signing from after the draft through training camp.

This is for the first 2-4 games (depending on Hill's appeal) ... and then we have Hill.

I'm not even sure I would trade Waynes ... I have no idea what the progress / ETA of Hughes is ... what we could get / is being offered for Waynes ... where else we can get the cap under control moving forward ... if Waynes is in our long range plans or Alexander, etc. – too many unknonws.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/7/2019 1:42:27 PM >
Post #: 3701
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 1:40:45 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

i'd consider extending waynes, e.g., $50m/5yrs and a $20m signing bonus - to lower his cap hit this season...that could bring waynes' number down to $5m in 2019 and 2020 - then $13.3 each of the next three seasons....

I like Waynes but I'm not a fan of back loading contracts.

Barr's is back loaded as is Cousins to a lesser extent.

In the past we front loaded contracts which gave us flexibility to go after a decent FA or two.

A 500 team shouldn't be doing this. The Wilf's are inexperienced owners so Spielman is going to keep doing this so he can keep caching a pay check. But the next GM will be buried in cap hell.

rhodes is 29 this june...if we front load waynes for two years then when rhodes leaves in 2021 waynes is paid...i look at barr's contract like it's a three-year deal - and then we reassess...just like every contract....

extending waynes could save us $4m this year and i know that spielman is going to do somethng with rudolph, he's just not in a big hurry to do it...so that's another $3m saved....

we're running a team on the edge

spielman has a plan that will develop around or after the draft...we shall see....

i see the draft this years as:

dt....dexter lawrence - a hulking beast that allows us to let joseph go in 2020
guard...lindstrom - starter at left guard
o-tackle....someone to play right tackle in 2020 when o'neill moves to left and reiff is traded

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 4/7/2019 1:50:44 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3702
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 1:43:40 PM   
ratoppenheimer

at this moment, my money would be on that we keep waynes at least through this season....

Post #: 3703
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 3:34:37 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not worried one bit about losing Hill for 4 games....Kearse and Harris are very good (3 Safety/Nickel Safetys).

Hill keeps the regime on their toes, "You thought I'd get busted for MJ, try PEDs suckas!"

Cmon Bill...In what other position do they have that much depth? Rhodes, Waynes, Mac, and Hughes....plus Kearse has played Nickel CB before. Hill missing 4 games, really not going to be a problem unless someone else is injured.

Agreed. Whether to trade Waynes is a decision that better not be made in a vacuum of four games revolving around the idiot Hill. Instead, they are probably looking at the bigger picture:

Hill. The only proven thing about Hill is his problem with substances of all sorts. The going in position is to assume Hill finds ways to ban himself out of the league.

i was thrilled to have hill, but he's turned out to be a total flake - very disappointing and at this point, we can't count on him for anything...he has to reprove himself to the team starting at zero....

i say, give waynes an extension and lower his cap hit for a couple of seasons....

We are trying to to find two coins to rub together to extend Thielen ... who vastly deserves it. Maybe extending Waynes will free up some money that could help but, in the end, we are also adding another big ticket defensive item to the cap.

I don't know. I think if you focus hard enough, you can find weaknesses in any position of strength. From a starting talent / depth standpoint I would say DE and CB are the positions of strength on this team. (Spielman has spoiled Zimmer).

Do we move forward by holding the strength of our current roster together for as long as possible - or - do we give some of our strength away to theoretically improve the weaker parts?

Trade Waynes for a 3rd. Then for the first month of the season of 2019 roll out the following CBs:

Depth

More likely

And if we trade Waynes, maybe a drafted mid-round CB thrown in the mix. There will already be a late rd. one for sure.

Not to mention the 5-6 other roster-filler CBs we will be signing from after the draft through training camp.

This is for the first 2-4 games (depending on Hill's appeal) ... and then we have Hill.

I'm not even sure I would trade Waynes ... I have no idea what the progress / ETA of Hughes is ... what we could get / is being offered for Waynes ... where else we can get the cap under control moving forward ... if Waynes is in our long range plans or Alexander, etc. – too many unknonws.

I'll have to agree with you: we start the season with Rhodes and Mac, nickel unknown, depth not yet on the roster.
Post #: 3704
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 3:44:56 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

i'd consider extending waynes, e.g., $50m/5yrs and a $20m signing bonus - to lower his cap hit this season...that could bring waynes' number down to $5m in 2019 and 2020 - then $13.3 each of the next three seasons....

In the past we front loaded contracts which gave us flexibility to go after a decent FA or two.

A 500 team shouldn't be doing this. The Wilf's are inexperienced owners so Spielman is going to keep doing this so he can keep caching a pay check. But the next GM will be buried in cap hell.

rhodes is 29 this june...if we front load waynes for two years then when rhodes leaves in 2021 waynes is paid...i look at barr's contract like it's a three-year deal - and then we reassess...just like every contract....

extending waynes could save us $4m this year and i know that spielman is going to do somethng with rudolph, he's just not in a big hurry to do it...so that's another $3m saved....

spielman has a plan that will develop around or after the draft...we shall see....

o-tackle....someone to play right tackle in 2020 when o'neill moves to left and reiff is traded

Drafting 340 lb. run-stuffing Joseph and Lawrence types high may be trending down fast. Bring in 5th round, one-dimensional run-stuffers when its 3rd/4th and short then send them back to the bench.

Looking at the weight of the top DTs:
Williams 295
Oliver 285
Wilkins 300
Simmons 300
Tillery 305

Saunders, mentioned earlier, is interesting. 6-1, 322 who strength is his athleticism and agility.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 4/7/2019 3:47:36 PM >
Post #: 3705
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 9:34:35 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Dexter Lawrence while certainly is no slouch is a NT. We are in more of a market for a 3t

Deep DL draft and with the proper scouting we could easily land a good dt in the 3rd rd

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3706
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 9:52:36 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

The 2019 "Sherels" argument.
Post #: 3707
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2019 10:07:19 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Don't most, or all teams still carry a nose tackle on their roster? I believe so. Joseph is on the field for most first and second downs. I believe he is off the field for most third downs. I would think that offenses would try to exploit defenses that don't employ a true nose tackle on running downs.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3708
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 8:31:20 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This website has been a little funny the past few hours. Was there some maintenance being done, or something?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3709
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 8:41:45 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Depth

More likely

I'll have to agree with you: we start the season with Rhodes and Mac, nickel unknown, depth not yet on the roster.

Nice try. If we traded Waynes - before the draft- our cb position would be - before the draft - rhodes, mac, hughes, hill (and slot Kearse) for the season. With uncertainty - before the draft - of what the cb group is going to look like before game one.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/8/2019 8:46:11 AM >
Post #: 3710
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 9:14:49 AM   
ratoppenheimer

alexander excelled in the second half of the season last year - playing exclusively in the slot...kearse hardly played a down in the slot last season - and he was very suspect....

imo, to count on kearse playing the slot would be a huge mistake....

unless we get an insane offer, we will be keeping waynes in 2019....

Post #: 3711
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 9:21:21 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Weird I got a server error when I first tried to login today... now it’s gone..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 3712
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 9:24:48 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Really weird if I try to go to another forum here or thread, I get server error

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 3713
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 9:26:12 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

alexander excelled in the second half of the season last year - playing exclusively in the slot...kearse hardly played a down in the slot last season - and he was very suspect....

I’m pretty sure we will be keeping Waynes but Kearse did get some time in the slot last year and played well. Which was surprising. Yes he is a back-up Safety and primarily a ST dude.
Post #: 3714
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 9:35:55 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dexter Lawrence while certainly is no slouch is a NT. We are in more of a market for a 3t

Deep DL draft and with the proper scouting we could easily land a good dt in the 3rd rd

Maybe if Lawrence lost 20 pounds and gets working with Patterson, he could become a NT and 3 tech.
Post #: 3715
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 12:18:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Depth

More likely

Nice try. If we traded Waynes - before the draft- our cb position would be - before the draft - rhodes, mac, hughes, hill (and slot Kearse) for the season. With uncertainty - before the draft - of what the cb group is going to look like before game one.

Nice try back. I thought it was implied we were talking about players who could, you know, actually play to start the season. With that in mind, let me not rephrase it but emphasize things: we start the season with Rhodes and Mac, nickel unknown, depth not yet on the roster.
Post #: 3716
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 12:21:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

'Kearse in the slot' is fine if one wants to idly speculate to bolster ones point.
Post #: 3717
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2019 1:06:25 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

'Kearse in the slot' is fine if one wants to idly speculate to bolster ones point.

When one is standing on weak ground and plays the devil's advocate – one must grasp for any straw out there. I admit it.

That being said, I would never advocate for Kearse as a starting slot or nickel (inside cb whatever) ... only that he has put some time there and played well. I'm sure those are specific situations and matchups. But in an emergency ...

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/jayron-kearse-adjusting-well-to-big-nickel-role/
https://www.vikings.com/news/notebook-jayron-kearse-s-pickup-of-nickel-helps-vikings-in-pinch

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/8/2019 1:30:11 PM >
Post #: 3718
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/9/2019 5:51:36 PM   
Mark Anderson

Kyler Murray might be coming to town Week 3 of pre season.
Post #: 3719
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/9/2019 6:19:04 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

When one is standing on weak ground and plays the devil's advocate – one must grasp for any straw out there. I admit it.

That being said, I would never advocate for Kearse as a starting slot or nickel (inside cb whatever) ... only that he has put some time there and played well. I'm sure those are specific situations and matchups. But in an emergency ...

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/jayron-kearse-adjusting-well-to-big-nickel-role/
https://www.vikings.com/news/notebook-jayron-kearse-s-pickup-of-nickel-helps-vikings-in-pinch

I like his size, length and position flexibility. All he lacks is experience, IMO.
Post #: 3720
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/9/2019 7:16:04 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice find. I was thinking Kearse mainly just came in as a dime back when Barr was hurt.

I thought he did well for a S in that role.

Post #: 3721
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/9/2019 8:33:04 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice find. I was thinking Kearse mainly just came in as a dime back when Barr was hurt.

I'm not even sure if Kearse is more valuable as a 'big nickel' than a S ... I really don't have a sense of him at S.

Although, with Sendejo gone (and Iloka, who was atleast a roster body) we are down to Kearse and AAF newby Smith (camp body with a 2 yr contract?) for S depth.

Kinda thin if Harry or Harris get dinged.
Post #: 3722
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/9/2019 8:35:34 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like his size, length and position flexibility. All he lacks is experience, IMO.

I've been idly speculating the same thing.
Post #: 3723
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/9/2019 8:59:24 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not even sure if Kearse is more valuable as a 'big nickel' than a S ... I really don't have a sense of him at S.

Although, with Sendejo gone (and Iloka, who was atleast a roster body) we are down to Kearse and AAF newby Smith (camp body with a 2 yr contract?) for S depth.

Kinda thin if Harry or Harris get dinged.

I hadn't given that much thought.

Add in the fact Hill is a complete knucklehead depth is needed at S, DT, and CB

Post #: 3724
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/9/2019 9:08:55 PM   
Bill Jandro

Preseason Schedule

At Saints
Seahawks
Cardinals
At Bills

Post #: 3725
Page:   <<   < prev  147 148 [149] 150 151   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  147 148 [149] 150 151   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode