Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  153 154 [155] 156 157   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 6:07:32 AM   
Todd M

Not gonna lie...that schedule looks tough on paper. We better be bringing our A game this year...week in and week out. If we don't we are going to be on the outside looking in.
Post #: 3851
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 6:11:49 AM   
Todd M

It's hard to see Chicago having it harder with their 1st place schedule. We get a lot of tough teams on the road. More than they do it seems.
Post #: 3852
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 9:38:58 AM   
SoMnFan

© USA TODAY USA TODAY
NFL teams know who they're playing in a given season well before the schedule is announced, but that doesn't mean the schedule release isn't an important day for teams. Quirks in the schedule can make a break a team's season.

Things like playing teams after their bye weeks, playing key games on short weeks and travel time matter. So we've combed through the entire 2019 NFL schedule and picked out the teams that were dealt the toughest hands by the schedule makers.
These are the clubs that should be putting in a phone call to the league office after the reveal…
1. Miami Dolphins
Why do the schedule makers hate the Dolphins? Not only are they one of six teams that play at least two games against opponents coming off a bye, they also get their bye week very early in the season (Week 5). On top of all that, they open the season with four consecutive games against 2018 playoff teams. At least this schedule will aid Miami's tanking efforts.
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Dolphins aren't the only Florida team upset with the 2019 schedule. The Buccaneers have to travel 18,000 miles (good lord) between Weeks 4 and 9. That includes trips to Los Angeles, Seattle and London. In fact, Tampa Bay doesn't play a home game between Week 4 and Week 9.
If that weren't enough to get Bruce Arians cussin' and fussin' - I'm just assuming that's a phrase he uses a lot - this will do the job: The Bucs' lone Thursday Night Football appearance comes on the road, where teams have historically struggled to win on short weeks.
3. Green Bay Packers
The Packers have a brutal stretch to end the season. After a home game against the Bears, they play a road game on Monday night against the Vikings, which is followed by another road game after a short week. Green Bay is the only team in the entire league to play a road game after a Monday night game on the road.
4. New England Patriots
The Patriots play a team coming off their bye a league-high three times. Bill Belichick won't be happy about that, as those teams will have an extra day to prepare for him. He also won't be happy about playing five primetime games, which can throw a team off its typical schedule. And that primetime schedule includes a Thursday nighter against the Giants following a road game in Washington.
5. San Francisco 49ers
Not only do the 49ers have the earliest bye week possible, meaning they'll have to play 13 consecutive weeks to finish the season, they're also one of the six teams playing multiple games against teams coming off their byes. If somehow they survive all of that and remain in the playoff chase, they'll finish the season with this daunting stretch: Packers, at Ravens, at Saints, Falcons, Rams, at Seahawks.
6. New York Jets
The Jets will be a trendy playoff sleeper this offseason, but they could be out of the running by October. The beginning of their schedule is brutal. They'll go on the road to New England after a short week of prep following a Week 2 Monday nighter against the Browns.
After an early bye week (no human should be subjected to playing 12 straight weeks of football) they'll go on the road to Philly before home games against the Cowboys and Patriots. If they lose to a feisty Buffalo team in Week 1, an 0-6 start isn't out of the question.
Post #: 3853
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 9:48:54 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Not gonna lie...that schedule looks tough on paper. We better be bringing our A game this year...week in and week out. If we don't we are going to be on the outside looking in.

A turd like Buffalo this season will certainly hurt.

Guessing anything worse than 7-1 at home will kill their playoff hopes.

Some teams that look good now will suck. Some will lose QB.

7-1 at home. Win 3 or 4 on road. Playoffs.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 4/18/2019 9:51:32 AM >
Post #: 3854
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 12:46:16 PM   
marty

Right now, I would go with Murphy, 9-7.

9/8 v ATL W
9/15 @ GB L
9/22 v OAK W
9/29 @ CHI (3:25pm) L
10/6 @ NYG W
10/13 v PHI W
10/20 @ DET W
10/24 v WAS (TNF) W
11/3 @ KC L
11/10 @ DAL (SNF) L
11/17 v DEN W
11/24 BYE
12/2 @ SEA (MNF) L
12/8 v DET W
12/15 @ LAC (SNF) L
12/23 v GB (MNF) W
12/29 v CHI L

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3855
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 1:06:00 PM   
ronhextall

10-6

New GM and they can decide on the coach if no playoffs.
Post #: 3856
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 2:59:18 PM   
Ragnarök

9-7 seems about right, even 8-8 if Raiders are the repeat of Buffalo game this year...

Ability to win against teams in National spotlight games and teams with a winning record is huge this year...

If trends continue with HC and QB in this area and we are looking at a very tough season...

If team can buck that trend and put together some quality wins in front of national audience and bright lights it could be huge in translating to not wilting under heat in playoffs if that was an eventual outcome of season...
Post #: 3857
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 3:56:42 PM   
bohumm

How can you predict a record when you don't even know who's on the team? Low-information voting is not just the ruination of society; worse yet, it's infecting TalkVikes.....
Post #: 3858
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 6:06:39 PM   
Vikings get fortunate at all in the draft, and figure out a REAL YOUNG OLine I predict 11-5.

If not more of the same BS- 7-9, 8-8..
  Post #: 3859
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 7:04:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

How can you predict a record when you don't even know who's on the team? Low-information voting is not just the ruination of society; worse yet, it's infecting TalkVikes.....

True to a point.

Takes a real stellar draft to make a difference. But it can happen. ie...Saints in 2017

Or some kind of big trade but that seems unlikely.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3860
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 9:29:32 PM   
marty

At this point, you probably know 20 of the 22 starters for the Vikes, and most of the major players for all the teams on the schedule.

But then again, Cousins could be lost for the season in week 1.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3861
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/19/2019 6:09:57 PM   
Dana Turner

I don't know anything about predicting what our record will be at the end of the year, but here's what I do predict. I think the days of the Vikings coming out flat for games are over. I think that this new coaching staff (offense) will have this team much better prepared than we have seen lately. I predict the Vikings are going to an offense that "moves" a lot more and keeps teams better off balance. This will enable the offense to keep the ball longer and keep the defense fresh. I'd get used to tight games with games being decided in the fourth quarter. If the draft goes the way I'm hoping, we will have a solid offensive line, with depth, and we can move on from the embarrassment that was last season. I really like the possibilities this new offensive staff bring. It's hard to imagine them not turning this in to a promising season.
Post #: 3862
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/19/2019 7:11:12 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

I don't know anything about predicting what our record will be at the end of the year, but here's what I do predict. I think the days of the Vikings coming out flat for games are over. I think that this new coaching staff (offense) will have this team much better prepared than we have seen lately. I predict the Vikings are going to an offense that "moves" a lot more and keeps teams better off balance. This will enable the offense to keep the ball longer and keep the defense fresh. I'd get used to tight games with games being decided in the fourth quarter. If the draft goes the way I'm hoping, we will have a solid offensive line, with depth, and we can move on from the embarrassment that was last season. I really like the possibilities this new offensive staff bring. It's hard to imagine them not turning this in to a promising season.

I hope your right Dana.

What bothered me last season (other than a high school offense) was effort.

Or should I say the lack there of. Both sides of the ball. That can't happen or even the lowly Buffalo Bills will take you behind the wood shed.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3863
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 12:18:24 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I hope your right Dana.

Or should I say the lack there of. Both sides of the ball. That can't happen or even the lowly Buffalo Bills will take you behind the wood shed.

I want to see more effective schemes from the opening kick and faster in-game adjustments. In the second Detroit game last season, everyone and their grandma knew that Golliday was the only weapon Detroit had yet we didn't double cover him and early on he caught quite a few balls and converted at least one third-and-long and drew a number of penalties from our secondary (if my crappy memory is working). Now, sure we shut them down in the second half and won the game, but let's not forget that until the last second hail-mary to Rudolph at the end of the half - we were losing.

In my opinion, you can beat a mediocre or poor team with that lazy scheme, but not a good to great team.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3864
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 1:05:11 AM   
ratoppenheimer

imo the vikings should keep waynes - extend him now and lower his/our cap hit this/next year....

Vikings Spin@vikingsspin
If Reiff & Griffen are not on the roster next year that would push the cap space to around $28 million for 2020. That would allow the team to keep Waynes if they want to. You could also re-sign Harris. So we can keep him but the other 2 would likely have to go.

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 4/20/2019 1:11:18 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3865
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 9:55:28 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer
imo the vikings should keep waynes - extend him now and lower his/our cap hit this/next year....

Vikings Spin@vikingsspin
If Reiff & Griffen are not on the roster next year that would push the cap space to around $28 million for 2020. That would allow the team to keep Waynes if they want to. You could also re-sign Harris. So we can keep him but the other 2 would likely have to go.

Drafting Dillard and Lindstrom would be a dream to support that scenario.
Post #: 3866
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 2:33:20 PM   
David Levine

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
#Vikings have $1,683,682 in salary-cap room. They need roughly a million more to sign their draft picks. After next week's draft, players they take will count initially as $495,000 against the cap, so that won't affect anything. But they'll need room when they want to sign all.
Post #: 3867
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 3:35:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I guess they have options on how to do that. I think they will also need more in case a starter gets injured and a free agent needs to be signed. Maybe that's not an issue because of rules that only a certain number of players count towards the cap. After the draft, there may be a need to sign a free agent at a certain position where the need was not addressed. We'll see about that soon.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3868
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 4:08:48 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I hope your right Dana.

I want to see more effective schemes from the opening kick and faster in-game adjustments. In the second Detroit game last season, everyone and their grandma knew that Golliday was the only weapon Detroit had yet we didn't double cover him and early on he caught quite a few balls and converted at least one third-and-long and drew a number of penalties from our secondary (if my crappy memory is working). Now, sure we shut them down in the second half and won the game, but let's not forget that until the last second hail-mary to Rudolph at the end of the half - we were losing.

In my opinion, you can beat a mediocre or poor team with that lazy scheme, but not a good to great team.

10 sacks and a close game until the 3rd. The same week they traded their most productive WR.

Happened all too often last year. Let teams with less talent hang around. No-showed against 500 or better teams.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3869
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 4:16:16 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Vikings Spin@vikingsspin

Drafting Dillard and Lindstrom would be a dream to support that scenario.

That is my dream scenario - or Dillard, BPA, and Dru Samia later. Even ltr to get Bates and you've got a high upside developmental guy with coaches that can actually develop them. If Elf takes a step forward your line, barring injuries, is set for the next 5 years at a fraction of the cost we've been spending the last 3-4.

You could cut Reiff after June with only about a 3M hit - if I remember right. (if Dillard looks legit in OTAs) saving about 8M. Use that money to extend Harris in camp. If Rhodes bounces back, Hughes is healthy, and Hill makes it clean through the offseason, you let Waynes walk and pick up the comp.

Next year you really then have freedom to go BPA during the draft. You'd be proactive in the draft and FA. Reactive is where you end up overpaying for average guys and we've been far to reactive when it comes to the line.

Post #: 3870
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 7:50:45 PM   
marty

It is a gift they got Griffen to restructure. An effective Griffen covered up a lot of weaknesses.

I would trade Waynes. Hughes is an immediate upgrade, MacKenzie and Hill can cover the other spots. Can always draft a 3rd or 4th rounder for depth.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3871
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 7:58:16 PM   
marty

I thought the DL would dominate last year, but it never really materialized. Maybe it was a chemistry thing ?

Maybe Griffen and Richardson clashed ? Maybe Griffen wanted the spotlight, and Richardson was taking some of that away.

Or maybe it is just more forthright, like guys being out of shape, Griffen's mental health issues, maybe the loss of Robison made him sad. Or maybe Cousins didn't lead the offense to enough early leads so the DL could rack up the sacks.

< Message edited by marty -- 4/21/2019 12:53:21 AM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3872
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 8:02:10 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I would trade Waynes. Hughes is an immediate upgrade, MacKenzie and Hill can cover the other spots. Can always draft a 3rd or 4th rounder for depth.

Of course no one knows how Hughes is going to come back form his ACL and Hill is already suspended for the first 4 games, but why let facts get in the way of a horrible take?
Post #: 3873
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/20/2019 9:03:35 PM   
marty

Hughes on a bad ACL might STILL be better than Waynes

Still have MacKenzie, and then Hill for 12 games to replace Wayne's awfulness .

Can still draft another CB in the 3rd or 4th round. If you can get a 3rd or 4th rounder for Waynes, take it.

< Message edited by marty -- 4/21/2019 12:54:09 AM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3874
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/21/2019 12:05:46 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I thought the DL would dominate last year, but it never really materialized. Maybe it was a chemistry thing ?

Maybe Griffen and Richardson clashed ? Maybe Griffen wanted the spotlight, and Richardson was taking some that away.

Or maybe it is just more forthright, like guys being out of shape, Griffen's mental issues, maybe the loss of Robison made him sad. Or maybe Cousins didn't lead the offense to enough early leads so the DL could rack up the sacks.

First part is a good question. They were above average but not elite. 19 sacks in two games but didn't take over important games. Leads and ball control would def help.

Joseph played worse than '17 and wasn't healthy much of the season. And why Perry was on and off the squad. Griff obv was out and hardly made an impact when he came back (I think he was out of shape and rusty). Richardson wasn't as good as I thought he'd be, mostly because of his run defense.

Healthy and if Hunter and the young guys improve, I think Joseph and Griff bounce back.

Post #: 3875
Page:   <<   < prev  153 154 [155] 156 157   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  153 154 [155] 156 157   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode