Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  182 183 [184] 185 186   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 8:04:07 PM   
marty

It would be cool if Sloter were another Kurt Warner story, but pretty unlikely.

Sloter doesn't show much mobility, he's shown a few things, but absolutely nothing against a full slate of NFL starters in a regular season game, which still doesn't rise to the level of a playoff game.

I was just having a little fun with it. I am hoping the more likely scenario of Cousins being the ticket, but if not, would be happy if Sloter then became the next Kurt Warner. I am not so sure either is really a possibility.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4576
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 9:39:28 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Am I in Bizarro world????

How can I explain it? The original number is 50 for 600. The revised is 63 for 625. It added 13 catches for 25 yards. Math does not allow you to assume those 13 catches add 10 per when the they actually added only 25 yards.

Seriously to protect my sanity, I either need to log out or someone other than KG tell me if my math skills are gone.

Coming very late to this but concerned about your sanity: You are dealing with a master community college logician----ya, he got a good grade and everything. When he says, "To me 63-625 is more impressive than 50-600" you are in no position to understand it any more than I am positioned to understand my dog's extreme concern about a squirrel incursion. It just is and we bow down to such sagacity.
Post #: 4577
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 10:19:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

How can I explain it? The original number is 50 for 600. The revised is 63 for 625. It added 13 catches for 25 yards. Math does not allow you to assume those 13 catches add 10 per when the they actually added only 25 yards.

Seriously to protect my sanity, I either need to log out or someone other than KG tell me if my math skills are gone.

Coming very late to this but concerned about your sanity: You are dealing with a master community college logician----ya, he got a good grade and everything. When he says, "To me 63-625 is more impressive than 50-600" you are in no position to understand it any more than I am positioned to understand my dog's extreme concern about a squirrel incursion. It just is and we bow down to such sagacity.

I think and am not certain that 63-625 is more beneficial because it would move the chains more keeping drives alive and most likely leading to more points. This isn't so much a logical question as it is a mathematical question/equation. I'm reasonably good at math, but there are far too many variables for me to even try doing a proof.

Never heard of sagacity. sa·gac·i·ty
[səˈɡasədē]

NOUN
the quality of being sagacious.
"a man of great political sagacity"
synonyms:
wisdom · (deep) insight · intelligence · understanding · judgment · acuity · astuteness · insight · sense · canniness · sharpness · depth · profundity · profoundness

Is this a word you have ever used in written conversation before?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/20/2019 10:26:16 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4578
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 11:02:44 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I think and am not certain that 63-625 is more beneficial because it would move the chains more keeping drives alive and most likely leading to more points. This isn't so much a logical question as it is a mathematical question/equation. I'm reasonably good at math, but there are far too many variables for me to even try doing a proof.

Those 13 plays can well go to a guy who is getting maybe 15-20 ypc.
Post #: 4579
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 11:05:17 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Sloter doesn't show much mobility, he's shown a few things, but absolutely nothing against a full slate of NFL starters in a regular season game, which still doesn't rise to the level of a playoff game.

I was just having a little fun with it. I am hoping the more likely scenario of Cousins being the ticket, but if not, would be happy if Sloter then became the next Kurt Warner. I am not so sure either is really a possibility.

You need to rewatch the tapes. Or are you kidding again?
Post #: 4580
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 11:50:03 PM   
kwheats

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

You need to rewatch the tapes. Or are you kidding again?

An important trait for quarterbacks has always been size, and Sloter definitely doesn’t lack in that department. He stands 6’5″ and 218 pounds, which allows him to stand tall in the pocket and see over his protection. At his pro day in 2017, Sloter ran a 4.79 40-yard dash and finished his 20-yard shuttle in 4.61 seconds. There is no doubt that Sloter has the athleticism and the physical tools to succeed in the NFL.
Post #: 4581
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 11:52:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Maybe tomorrow there will be more talk about with the first OTA with rookies and veterans. Here's something.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/5/20/18633420/john-carney-minnesota-vikings-kicking-coach

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4582
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 12:55:38 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A teams average yards per play is almost never 15-20 yards. That would be assuming a ridiculously high yards per play for those extra 13 plays and there probably wouldn't even be those extra plays if not for the first downs produced by them.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4583
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 10:11:46 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://youtu.be/KrY4larnCPI

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4584
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 10:15:31 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Looking at our two rookie wide receivers.

https://youtu.be/w6E85GHHpcI

Post #: 4585
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 10:44:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Looking at our two rookie wide receivers.

https://youtu.be/w6E85GHHpcI

I just watched this one this morning. About 4.5 minutes of film breakdown on each.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4586
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 11:44:42 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A teams average yards per play is almost never 15-20 yards. That would be assuming a ridiculously high yards per play for those extra 13 plays and there probably wouldn't even be those extra plays if not for the first downs produced by them.

If the TE is averaging 12 ypc it's reasonable that the WRs might average 15+ ypc.
Post #: 4587
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 12:10:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If the TE is averaging 12 ypc it's reasonable that the WRs might average 15+ ypc.

We are talking 13 additional taken away from Rudolph in this scenario. Those receptions could have come from a better receptions per target ratio and more first downs from those catches resulting in more catches. In that case there might be zero other plays to replace them if they are taken away. If we assume we get those plays back then it would be average plays maybe 5 rushes 7 complete passes and 3 incomplete passes. Those 7 receptions would be divided amongst WRs, TEs, and RBs. So if we get those 13 plays back to divvy up they aren't going to average 15-20 yards per play. We might not even get those plays back at all because of a lower completion percent and less first downs produced.
EDIT: The more I think about it if you take away those 13 receptions and the approximately 7 first downs produced we will lose 21 offensive plays resulting not only in the loss of the 25 yards but another 105 yards that we can expect to gain from those 21 additional downs.
In conclusion to me at least it's obvious that 63-625 is superior to 50-600.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/21/2019 12:17:20 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4588
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 12:16:47 PM   
marty

Thebigo, I think Sloter has shown the ability to evade a pass rush, he has done that well so far.

By mobility, I meant, he hasn't run for 1st downs, hasn't put any fear into the opposition that he will run with the ball. Maybe mobility was the wrong word to use there, as he does scramble. Not sure which words to use here.

< Message edited by marty -- 5/21/2019 12:18:19 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4589
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 12:36:56 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We are talking 13 additional taken away from Rudolph in this scenario. Those receptions could have come from a better receptions per target ratio and more first downs from those catches resulting in more catches. In that case there might be zero other plays to replace them if they are taken away. If we assume we get those plays back then it would be average plays maybe 5 rushes 7 complete passes and 3 incomplete passes. Those 7 receptions would be divided amongst WRs, TEs, and RBs. So if we get those 13 plays back to divvy up they aren't going to average 15-20 yards per play. We might not even get those plays back at all because of a lower completion percent and less first downs produced.
EDIT: The more I think about it if you take away those 13 receptions and the approximately 7 first downs produced we will lose 21 offensive plays resulting not only in the loss of the 25 yards but another 105 yards that we can expect to gain from those 21 additional downs.

yac yac yac
Post #: 4590
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 12:41:04 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings averaged 5.5 per play in 2018. So 50-600 + 13-72 > 63-625.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 4591
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 1:02:56 PM   
Pager

To be completely fair, assuming that none of the other plays (of the 13) can go back to kyle. Removing Kyle's yards, and plays that involved throwing to him (80% catch), the Vikings averaged 5.3 on non-kyle plays.

50-600 + 13-69 > 63-625

Final answer Regis.

< Message edited by Pager -- 5/21/2019 1:04:02 PM >

Post #: 4592
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 1:47:20 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings averaged 5.5 per play in 2018. So 50-600 + 13-72 > 63-625.

Your not factoring in the loss of first downs created by those 13 receptions. We won't have the 13 plays to get the 72 yards you are talking about.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/21/2019 1:48:43 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4593
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 3:36:58 PM   
Jason Dorn

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So how do you state that those 13 receptions net 7 first downs when they equate to 2 yds per catch? That's not an argument or proof that is an opinion or a speculative argument. This argument is in reality about nothing without statistical data to back up any claim when the original premise was a arbitrary number. 50 - 600 vs 63 - 625 is the same without stats other than the average. If sample A produces the same amount of first downs as sample B they are equal. If they produce the same amount of TDs they are equal. If they produce the same amount of explosive plays leading to points they are equal.

If you move the goal posts and make assumptions cannot the other argue the same without data in a hypothetical situation?

63-625 with 35 first downs and 8 TDs is superior to 50 -600 with 30 first downs and 6 TDs conversely 50-600 with 35 FDs and 8 TDs is greater than 63-625 with 30 FDs and 6 TDs.

In other words making arguments about this, is, as a stated before, not going to change the minds of those who are not on the Rudy bandwagon and see him as a liability more than an asset.

Elite production from a TE is over 1000 yds. Rudy has yet to produce elite numbers so no one can reasonably expect Rudy to be elite. He is good and Smith is a rookie who has potential but has proven nil.

Dumping Rudy because he does not fit the mold of the perfect TE is fine as long as there is someone who improves upon his production. How that is determined can be different depending on what value there is on blocking. Rudy is a poor blocking TE for as long as he has been in the league. He is a good route runner with good hands and good height. A large catch radius without wheels.

Rudy in my opinion with Smith is better than Smith and Morgan unless you believe Morgan can duplicate what Rudy does as a receiver while improving blocking. I do not but am just a fan with an opinion.

< Message edited by Jason Dorn -- 5/21/2019 3:38:18 PM >

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 4594
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 4:24:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So how do you state that those 13 receptions net 7 first downs when they equate to 2 yds per catch? That's not an argument or proof that is an opinion or a speculative argument. This argument is in reality about nothing without statistical data to back up any claim when the original premise was a arbitrary number. 50 - 600 vs 63 - 625 is the same without stats other than the average. If sample A produces the same amount of first downs as sample B they are equal. If they produce the same amount of TDs they are equal. If they produce the same amount of explosive plays leading to points they are equal.

If you move the goal posts and make assumptions cannot the other argue the same without data in a hypothetical situation?

63-625 with 35 first downs and 8 TDs is superior to 50 -600 with 30 first downs and 6 TDs conversely 50-600 with 35 FDs and 8 TDs is greater than 63-625 with 30 FDs and 6 TDs.

In other words making arguments about this, is, as a stated before, not going to change the minds of those who are not on the Rudy bandwagon and see him as a liability more than an asset.

Elite production from a TE is over 1000 yds. Rudy has yet to produce elite numbers so no one can reasonably expect Rudy to be elite. He is good and Smith is a rookie who has potential but has proven nil.

Dumping Rudy because he does not fit the mold of the perfect TE is fine as long as there is someone who improves upon his production. How that is determined can be different depending on what value there is on blocking. Rudy is a poor blocking TE for as long as he has been in the league. He is a good route runner with good hands and good height. A large catch radius without wheels.

Rudy in my opinion with Smith is better than Smith and Morgan unless you believe Morgan can duplicate what Rudy does as a receiver while improving blocking. I do not but am just a fan with an opinion.

Great post Jason, with one stipulation. In the scenario of 63-625 vs 50-600 there is only 25 yards difference, but the average yards per reception is still 10. So I'm just doing a rough guess that 13 receptions averaging 10 YPR will net about 7 more first downs. We went over that a couple pages back. I don't have a mathematical proof for this.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4595
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 4:52:58 PM   
Phil Riewer

I don't know why you waste so much time talking about Rudolph. He will be gone shortly....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4596
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 5:02:38 PM  1 votes
bohumm

Community college elite logic = I'll never admit I'm wrong and/or I'll never let go of this bone

I've committed one crime vs I've committed ten crimes without context: ten crimes is worse. If the one crime is murder and the ten crimes are shoplifting: one crime is worse. Injecting detail when there's none = nonsense.

Original point: "To me 63-625 is more impressive than 50-600". That is all. There is no underlying detail. 599 of the 600 yards were not on one catch. The 63 did not yield more first downs than the 50 because THERE WERE NO ACTUAL CATCHES IN THIS COMPARISON.

This is about one poster getting his needs met (?) by manifesting online; it is not even about the relative merits of Kyle Rudolph at his current salary cap figure.

< Message edited by bohumm -- 5/21/2019 5:05:04 PM >
Post #: 4597
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 5:04:07 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Never heard of sagacity. sa·gac·i·ty
[səˈɡasədē]

NOUN
the quality of being sagacious.
"a man of great political sagacity"

Want to jump in with a note of how much I hate lazy web definitions. Yeah, thanks...I know what sagacity is now.
Post #: 4598
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 5:10:03 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Any news from the OTA?

Post #: 4599
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 5:21:54 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Any news from the OTA?

Could only find the highlight:

https://www.vikings.com/video/highlights-from-vikings-ota-no-1

Not much there. Looking at some other sites, Vikings Corner, nothing posted. Curious to hear about oline in particular.

Post #: 4600
Page:   <<   < prev  182 183 [184] 185 186   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  182 183 [184] 185 186   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode