Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  183 184 [185] 186 187   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 5:25:01 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Community college elite logic = I'll never admit I'm wrong and/or I'll never let go of this bone

I've committed one crime vs I've committed ten crimes without context: ten crimes is worse. If the one crime is murder and the ten crimes are shoplifting: one crime is worse. Injecting detail when there's none = nonsense.

Original point: "To me 63-625 is more impressive than 50-600". That is all. There is no underlying detail. 599 of the 600 yards were not on one catch. The 63 did not yield more first downs than the 50 because THERE WERE NO ACTUAL CATCHES IN THIS COMPARISON.

This is about one poster getting his needs met (?) by manifesting online; it is not even about the relative merits of Kyle Rudolph at his current salary cap figure.

Thanks for the sanity check. I thought when I posted some actual numbers from TEs that it would show the variability in first downs.

I should have known better.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 4601
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 5:42:12 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

Community college elite logic = I'll never admit I'm wrong and/or I'll never let go of this bone

I've committed one crime vs I've committed ten crimes without context: ten crimes is worse. If the one crime is murder and the ten crimes are shoplifting: one crime is worse. Injecting detail when there's none = nonsense.

Original point: "To me 63-625 is more impressive than 50-600". That is all. There is no underlying detail. 599 of the 600 yards were not on one catch. The 63 did not yield more first downs than the 50 because THERE WERE NO ACTUAL CATCHES IN THIS COMPARISON.

This is about one poster getting his needs met (?) by manifesting online; it is not even about the relative merits of Kyle Rudolph at his current salary cap figure.

Thanks for the sanity check. I thought when I posted some actual numbers from TEs that it would show the variability in first downs.

You should have.

He's the guy who tries to be right while seeking strokes and ends up the laughingstock, but at least he is our franchise laughingstock.

Still, I'd trade him for a different laughingstock plus a laughingstock to be named later.
Post #: 4602
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 5:56:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Looking for confirmation, but I just saw a tweet from someone I am not familiar with saying Rudolph is getting a big extension. (Five years for big bucks) It might be fake news.

This may be more accurate.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-have-reportedly-had-talks-with-the-vikings-about-a-potential-kyle-rudolph-trade/

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/21/2019 5:58:36 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4603
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 6:09:48 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Looking for confirmation, but I just saw a tweet from someone I am not familiar with saying Rudolph is getting a big extension. (Five years for big bucks) It might be fake news.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-have-reportedly-had-talks-with-the-vikings-about-a-potential-kyle-rudolph-trade/

PFT? I think? Came out with that a week ago (Kyle big extension). Haven't seen anyone on any other site provide confirmation.

Post #: 4604
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 6:10:24 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

You should have.

He's the guy who tries to be right while seeking strokes and ends up the laughingstock, but at least he is our franchise laughingstock.

Still, I'd trade him for a different laughingstock plus a laughingstock to be named later.

As always, I'd prefer cash considerations. But I'd also trade him for a third-rounder in the NBA draft.
Post #: 4605
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 6:13:17 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

PFT? I think? Came out with that a week ago (Kyle big extension). Haven't seen anyone on any other site provide confirmation.

From the linked article:

In 2018, Rudolph caught 64 passes for 634 yards and four touchdowns while Gronk caught 47 passes for 682 yards and three touchdowns.

But how many were first downs???????????????????????????
Post #: 4606
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 9:42:31 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Am I in Bizarro world????

How can I explain it? The original number is 50 for 600. The revised is 63 for 625. It added 13 catches for 25 yards. Math does not allow you to assume those 13 catches add 10 per when the they actually added only 25 yards.

Seriously to protect my sanity, I either need to log out or someone other than KG tell me if my math skills are gone.

Coming very late to this but concerned about your sanity: You are dealing with a master community college logician----ya, he got a good grade and everything. When he says, "To me 63-625 is more impressive than 50-600" you are in no position to understand it any more than I am positioned to understand my dog's extreme concern about a squirrel incursion. It just is and we bow down to such sagacity.

I think and am not certain that 63-625 is more beneficial because it would move the chains more keeping drives alive and most likely leading to more points. This isn't so much a logical question as it is a mathematical question/equation. I'm reasonably good at math, but there are far too many variables for me to even try doing a proof.

Those 13 plays can well go to a guy who is getting maybe 15-20 ypc.

A teams average yards per play is almost never 15-20 yards. That would be assuming a ridiculously high yards per play for those extra 13 plays and there probably wouldn't even be those extra plays if not for the first downs produced by them.

If the TE is averaging 12 ypc it's reasonable that the WRs might average 15+ ypc.

We are talking 13 additional taken away from Rudolph in this scenario. Those receptions could have come from a better receptions per target ratio and more first downs from those catches resulting in more catches. In that case there might be zero other plays to replace them if they are taken away. If we assume we get those plays back then it would be average plays maybe 5 rushes 7 complete passes and 3 incomplete passes. Those 7 receptions would be divided amongst WRs, TEs, and RBs. So if we get those 13 plays back to divvy up they aren't going to average 15-20 yards per play. We might not even get those plays back at all because of a lower completion percent and less first downs produced.
EDIT: The more I think about it if you take away those 13 receptions and the approximately 7 first downs produced we will lose 21 offensive plays resulting not only in the loss of the 25 yards but another 105 yards that we can expect to gain from those 21 additional downs.
In conclusion to me at least it's obvious that 63-625 is superior to 50-600.

So how do you state that those 13 receptions net 7 first downs when they equate to 2 yds per catch? That's not an argument or proof that is an opinion or a speculative argument. This argument is in reality about nothing without statistical data to back up any claim when the original premise was a arbitrary number. 50 - 600 vs 63 - 625 is the same without stats other than the average. If sample A produces the same amount of first downs as sample B they are equal. If they produce the same amount of TDs they are equal. If they produce the same amount of explosive plays leading to points they are equal.

If you move the goal posts and make assumptions cannot the other argue the same without data in a hypothetical situation?

63-625 with 35 first downs and 8 TDs is superior to 50 -600 with 30 first downs and 6 TDs conversely 50-600 with 35 FDs and 8 TDs is greater than 63-625 with 30 FDs and 6 TDs.

In other words making arguments about this, is, as a stated before, not going to change the minds of those who are not on the Rudy bandwagon and see him as a liability more than an asset.

Elite production from a TE is over 1000 yds. Rudy has yet to produce elite numbers so no one can reasonably expect Rudy to be elite. He is good and Smith is a rookie who has potential but has proven nil.

Dumping Rudy because he does not fit the mold of the perfect TE is fine as long as there is someone who improves upon his production. How that is determined can be different depending on what value there is on blocking. Rudy is a poor blocking TE for as long as he has been in the league. He is a good route runner with good hands and good height. A large catch radius without wheels.

Rudy in my opinion with Smith is better than Smith and Morgan unless you believe Morgan can duplicate what Rudy does as a receiver while improving blocking. I do not but am just a fan with an opinion.

People are way too caught up in quantifiable, individual production. There is so much more going on with the TE position than just the numbers. Hell, you saw Gronkowski's numbers, you think he's better or worse than the easy, quantifiable numbers? Often times he's running deeper routes, and drawing more defensive attention, than their best WR.

Clear zones, create match-up problems, run downfield routes, these are the things that today's 'pass catching' TE's do that make a real difference.

There are some really good TE's in the league that don't have the "production" numbers you love, but they are vitally important to offensive success. Team players.

BTW, Rudolph has never been a good route runner, even with the most lax definition of the term.

I like Rudolph in the redzone. Tight spaces mitigate his weaknesses.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 5/21/2019 10:37:18 PM >
Post #: 4607
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 10:57:48 PM   
Bruce Johnson

There certainly is a lot of competition at the WR position.

http://vikingsterritory.com/2019/opinion/jordan-taylor-has-a-tough-road-ahead

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4608
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 11:27:05 PM   
Pager

Diggs not at OTA today.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/05/21/diggs-misses-minnesota-vikings-first-ota/

That's it. All I could find on OTAs.

Post #: 4609
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 11:38:07 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Diggs not at OTA today.

Must be pissed about Thielen's deal.
Post #: 4610
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2019 11:52:53 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/featured/what-can-we-learn-from-minnesota-vikings-otas/

Post #: 4611
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 12:37:18 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Diggs not at OTA today.

Must be pissed about Thielen's deal.

i wonder if he's upset that we didn't retain his brother - if only through training camp....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 4612
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 10:03:05 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Any interest in McCoy?

Should the Vikings figure out a way to sign Gerald McCoy? https://thevikingage.com/2019/05/22/should-minnesota-vikings-sign-mccoy/

Post #: 4613
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 10:04:51 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837505-report-nfl-competition-committee-given-power-to-change-pass-interference-replay

Post #: 4614
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 10:17:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Any interest in McCoy?

Should the Vikings figure out a way to sign Gerald McCoy? https://thevikingage.com/2019/05/22/should-minnesota-vikings-sign-mccoy/

Sure, just cut Rudolph and sign McCoy.

That oughta touch off another 26 pages of Rudolph arguments.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4615
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 11:20:22 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Any interest in McCoy?

I don't think so. It would certainly involve trading Waynes or Rudolph.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4616
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 11:31:15 AM   
Bruce Johnson

It's tempting, but the timing is off. I would have been more interested before the Stephen signing.

Post #: 4617
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 12:04:55 PM   
Terry Stoneberg

Just read this today from my twitter feed. Thought the board might like to give it a read. Especially if you are interested in defense.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/5/22/18634233/bill-belichick-iowa-state-future-of-defensive-football-nfl-new-england-patriots-chiefs-rams?utm_campaign=markschofield&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
Post #: 4618
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 12:45:01 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Any interest in McCoy?

McCoy will put us right back up against the cap. His best days are behind him anyway.

Let's see what JJ, Holmes, Odenigbo, Watts, Stephen can do.
Post #: 4619
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 1:23:24 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Andrew Krammer has some comments and clips from today's OTA at his Twitter page.

Post #: 4620
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:00:22 PM   
Jason Dorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Am I in Bizarro world????

How can I explain it? The original number is 50 for 600. The revised is 63 for 625. It added 13 catches for 25 yards. Math does not allow you to assume those 13 catches add 10 per when the they actually added only 25 yards.

Seriously to protect my sanity, I either need to log out or someone other than KG tell me if my math skills are gone.

Coming very late to this but concerned about your sanity: You are dealing with a master community college logician----ya, he got a good grade and everything. When he says, "To me 63-625 is more impressive than 50-600" you are in no position to understand it any more than I am positioned to understand my dog's extreme concern about a squirrel incursion. It just is and we bow down to such sagacity.

I think and am not certain that 63-625 is more beneficial because it would move the chains more keeping drives alive and most likely leading to more points. This isn't so much a logical question as it is a mathematical question/equation. I'm reasonably good at math, but there are far too many variables for me to even try doing a proof.

Those 13 plays can well go to a guy who is getting maybe 15-20 ypc.

A teams average yards per play is almost never 15-20 yards. That would be assuming a ridiculously high yards per play for those extra 13 plays and there probably wouldn't even be those extra plays if not for the first downs produced by them.

If the TE is averaging 12 ypc it's reasonable that the WRs might average 15+ ypc.

We are talking 13 additional taken away from Rudolph in this scenario. Those receptions could have come from a better receptions per target ratio and more first downs from those catches resulting in more catches. In that case there might be zero other plays to replace them if they are taken away. If we assume we get those plays back then it would be average plays maybe 5 rushes 7 complete passes and 3 incomplete passes. Those 7 receptions would be divided amongst WRs, TEs, and RBs. So if we get those 13 plays back to divvy up they aren't going to average 15-20 yards per play. We might not even get those plays back at all because of a lower completion percent and less first downs produced.
EDIT: The more I think about it if you take away those 13 receptions and the approximately 7 first downs produced we will lose 21 offensive plays resulting not only in the loss of the 25 yards but another 105 yards that we can expect to gain from those 21 additional downs.
In conclusion to me at least it's obvious that 63-625 is superior to 50-600.

So how do you state that those 13 receptions net 7 first downs when they equate to 2 yds per catch? That's not an argument or proof that is an opinion or a speculative argument. This argument is in reality about nothing without statistical data to back up any claim when the original premise was a arbitrary number. 50 - 600 vs 63 - 625 is the same without stats other than the average. If sample A produces the same amount of first downs as sample B they are equal. If they produce the same amount of TDs they are equal. If they produce the same amount of explosive plays leading to points they are equal.

If you move the goal posts and make assumptions cannot the other argue the same without data in a hypothetical situation?

63-625 with 35 first downs and 8 TDs is superior to 50 -600 with 30 first downs and 6 TDs conversely 50-600 with 35 FDs and 8 TDs is greater than 63-625 with 30 FDs and 6 TDs.

In other words making arguments about this, is, as a stated before, not going to change the minds of those who are not on the Rudy bandwagon and see him as a liability more than an asset.

Elite production from a TE is over 1000 yds. Rudy has yet to produce elite numbers so no one can reasonably expect Rudy to be elite. He is good and Smith is a rookie who has potential but has proven nil.

Dumping Rudy because he does not fit the mold of the perfect TE is fine as long as there is someone who improves upon his production. How that is determined can be different depending on what value there is on blocking. Rudy is a poor blocking TE for as long as he has been in the league. He is a good route runner with good hands and good height. A large catch radius without wheels.

Rudy in my opinion with Smith is better than Smith and Morgan unless you believe Morgan can duplicate what Rudy does as a receiver while improving blocking. I do not but am just a fan with an opinion.

People are way too caught up in quantifiable, individual production. There is so much more going on with the TE position than just the numbers. Hell, you saw Gronkowski's numbers, you think he's better or worse than the easy, quantifiable numbers? Often times he's running deeper routes, and drawing more defensive attention, than their best WR.

Clear zones, create match-up problems, run downfield routes, these are the things that today's 'pass catching' TE's do that make a real difference.

There are some really good TE's in the league that don't have the "production" numbers you love, but they are vitally important to offensive success. Team players.

BTW, Rudolph has never been a good route runner, even with the most lax definition of the term.

I like Rudolph in the redzone. Tight spaces mitigate his weaknesses.

Rudy's route running is what it is. No he is not quick but for his size runs good routes, but yeah he isn't gonna leave them in the dust with a precision cut. He has good hands and a large catch radius those are his strengths. No he does not stretch the field and rarely makes plays downfield. Lacks the ability to break away for big yardage on short routes.

Unsure what is meant by " numbers you love" Rudy is a above average TE with limitations noted in previous posts. . Smith is a rookie who in theory upgrades the skill set of the position. Nobody can possibly know what to expect from Smith and why I keep Rudolph who can be counted on to keep chains moving and a good target inside the red zone with his height and hands- has a season working with Cousins. If Smith can do what Kelce does than Rudy ought to see less PT and targets. If he is unwilling to accept such a role than best to trade him for a pick. If Smith struggles adjusting to the NFL game and Rudy is gone then what do you do? You state there is a lot going on at TE- is it reasonable to expect struggles from Smith in his first season with blocking assignments or recognizing coverage?

If Smith is capable of 800 yds plus makes plays downfield taking coverage with him as a rookie TE- the Viking offense ought to be improved. If Smith on top of that is a upgrade in blocking much more improvement.

Rudy is who he is. Maybe good is too high of praise for you. How about Rudy is a solid receiving TE who lacks speed/quicks and struggles as a blocker but has experience with the NFL game.

Rudy has value to the team that "you" don't appreciate - that is a snarky comment meant with a friendly tone to be clear.

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 4621
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:01:14 PM   
David F.

https://www.vikings.com/video/rudolph-confirms-extension-talks-explains-current-situation-with-vikings

He seems nervous. I think he's starting to realize he should have just taken a flat cut in pay and played out the year.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4622
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:13:05 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Andrew Krammer@Andrew_Krammer
Pat Elflein, the #Vikings left guard, has played it before. But he's confident in his departure from center, mainly, because he's healthy.
"I was in the weight room. I wasn't in the hospital this offseason."

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
#Vikings rookie Irv Smith Jr. on tight end combo with Kyle Rudolph: "It’s going to be special. I've just been trying to pick his brain, learn from him and I feel like we can complement each other very well. It’s going to be a scary offense.’’

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Say the Vikings gave Kyle Rudolph a league-minimum $930K base salary in 2019, converted the remaining $6.345M of his salary to a signing bonus and kept his bonuses ($250K roster, $100K workout) intact. Same amount of cash for Rudolph, with ~$5M in cap saving for Vikings.

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
The key to getting a deal done, though, is likely how the guarantees shake out beyond this year. Making Rudolph one of the league's highest-paid TEs for the next 5 years doesn't mean much if there's not much guaranteed money to go with it.

Kyle Rudolph on being at OTAs: "I could have easily skipped optional practice but that’s not what a leader of this team does. These guys expect to see me out here each and every day and I’m going to do that.’’

Post #: 4623
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:17:40 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
Quarterback depth chart: Cousins, Manion, Sloter, Browning.

Stefon Diggs not at Vikings OTAs today. Here but not participating Mike Hughes Brian O’Neill David Morgan Tashawn Bower Taking center snaps on first team Bradbury Elflein is left guard 2nd team QB Mannion.

Andrew Krammer@Andrew_Krammer
#Vikings OTA No. 2 in books.
-Bradbury at center, Elflein at left guard.

Post #: 4624
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:38:05 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Any interest in McCoy?

McCoy will put us right back up against the cap. His best days are behind him anyway.

Let's see what JJ, Holmes, Odenigbo, Watts, Stephen can do.

looks like odenigbo has been moved to defensive end....

Post #: 4625
Page:   <<   < prev  183 184 [185] 186 187   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  183 184 [185] 186 187   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode