Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  188 189 [190] 191 192   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 11:05:47 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I think the WR depth is better viewed with four trees rather than one long one.

WR1: Thielen, Beebe
WR2: Diggs, Zylstra
WR3: Taylor
WR4: Badet

Obviously Diggs moves to 1 if Thielen is out although that might be semantics as our 1 and 2 seem interchangable. My point is that Badet is a perfect fit for WR4 in the sense that he is first in line to play the 4th WR in a formation. That doesn't mean he's the fourth best or would take over the #2 spot of there were a couple of injuries.

Mitchell is the third best WR on the Vikings.

You are making it almost impossible to root for Mitchell.

Can you dial it back just a little?

KG you know that YouTube didn't show you how good Diggs and Thielen were going to be....so why do you think it tells you about Mitchell, who is a 7th round pick? I hope they all over perform and catch on with another team and we keep the best.....Beebe showed me a ton last year and no matter what Thielen and Diggs will get 60 % of the targets.

Third WR will likely have a ceiling of 30 receptions this year based on historical averages of Kubiak #3s averaging 21 receptions per season.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4726
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 11:13:09 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I will take that if the tight ends and running backs are more active as pass catchers. (Plus if the running game is more potent)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4727
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 12:30:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I will take that if the tight ends and running backs are more active as pass catchers. (Plus if the running game is more potent)

I think you will be happy on all of those points.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4728
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 1:47:12 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Abdullah certainly has some shake and bake.

I think ball security has always been the problem with him.

Exactly.

Ball security never stood out as a problem, not any more than the average RB...

but I will always remember him for this game saving short pass against McNeese St (who my Nebraska buddies and I affectionately call the "McNeese brothers" because McNeese is on the backs of their jerseys...ha!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmE8dghBMIo

I think we are set with Cook, Mattison and Abdullah at RB...all 3 potential homerun hitters

< Message edited by Chris Olson -- 5/25/2019 1:49:01 PM >
Post #: 4729
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 2:17:28 PM   
marty

KG you know that YouTube didn't show you how good Diggs and Thielen were going to be....so why do you think it tells you about Mitchell, who is a 7th round pick? ....

Simply not true, Diggs looked quite good on YouTube highlights, TOE was pretty excited about Diggs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxFESYGYvY&feature=share

If anything, watching the Diggs highlights, Mitchell doesn't have any sort of after the catch ability compared to Diggs, but Mitchell does seem to get open, and was pretty productive.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4730
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 2:55:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

KG you know that YouTube didn't show you how good Diggs and Thielen were going to be....so why do you think it tells you about Mitchell, who is a 7th round pick? ....

Simply not true, Diggs looked quite good on YouTube highlights, TOE was pretty excited about Diggs:

If anything, watching the Diggs highlights, Mitchell doesn't have any sort of after the catch ability compared to Diggs, but Mitchell does seem to get open, and was pretty productive.

Quite exciting YouTube for Diggs. Oddly though he was not very productive.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4731
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 3:13:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

IMO the Phil quote was not talking specifically about Thielen Diggs college highlight videos ... but the fact that college highlight videos simply do not tell you how good players are going to be in the NFL.

The worst players to ever play in the NFL have college highlight videos. They look like sure-thing all-pros.

Those videos tell us nothing other than we are geekier than other fans who don't watch them.

I heard that putting too much stock in college highlight videos for 7th rd. pick WRs in particular is a sure sign of mental aberration.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 5/25/2019 3:26:24 PM >
Post #: 4732
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 3:43:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Davion Davis' highlights were spectacular. I hope that he will be a stud, but I acknowledge that college highlights don't get you very far in the NFL. He will have to prove it on the field and when you are a late round draft pick or a ufa, you have to show something right away. Still, there's nothing wrong with being excited about any of these new players. It is the season to be hopeful.

My special hope is that some of these newer players really do shine. It doesn't really matter which ones. It can be a higher draft pick or it can be a ufa. It can be KG's guy and I will be thrilled, or it can be another one, but I just hope that one or two of these late rounders really stand out high above the others. We can't expect that they will all be like Diggs was.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/25/2019 3:44:48 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4733
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 3:58:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

IMO the Phil quote was not talking specifically about Thielen Diggs college highlight videos ... but the fact that college highlight videos simply do not tell you how good players are going to be in the NFL.

The worst players to ever play in the NFL have college highlight videos. They look like sure-thing all-pros.

Those videos tell us nothing other than we are geekier than other fans who don't watch them.

I heard that putting too much stock in college highlight videos for 7th rd. pick WRs in particular is a sure sign of mental aberration.

That is why I barely use highlight videos to form opinions. I look for game film that shows the good, the bad, and the ugly. I use a combination of Production, Measurables, Game Film, and scouting reports to form my opinion. The most important part of that for me is game film.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4734
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 4:04:42 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is why I barely use highlight videos to form opinions. I look for game film that shows the good, the bad, and the ugly. I use a combination of Production, Measurables, Game Film, and scouting reports to form my opinion. The most important part of that for me is game film.

That is great not just good news!

Even though putting too much stock in the game film of 7th rd. pick WRs is the same sure sign of mental aberration.
Post #: 4735
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 4:18:23 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Not much here any more. Every other post is some whacked crap from KGBUM. He shits all over the board incessantly; guess he doesn't have anything else to do. After years here, time to throttle way back. Maybe return to enjoy reading posts and posting during the few times KGBUM isn't monopolizing the board. Sadly, far too many will actually go tit for tat with him, page after page, on some issue that quickly goes illogical. That is probably more disheartening. Aloha.
Post #: 4736
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 5:27:14 PM   
Pager

Diggs: 6 ft
Thielan: 6' 2"
Taylor: 6' 5"
Beebe: 5' 9"
Badet: 6 ft
Treadwell: 6'3"
Zlystra: 6' 2"
Mitchell: 6'1"
Johnson: 6 ft

Taylor adds another element: Height.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 4737
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 6:18:37 PM  1 votes
Ricky J

One would think a decent #3 and 4 would emerge from that list

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 5/26/2019 8:49:45 AM >
Post #: 4738
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 6:32:59 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is great not just good news!

Even though putting too much stock in the game film of 7th rd. pick WRs is the same sure sign of mental aberration.

I don't care what round he was picked. Once he's picked the round becomes completely irrelevant to me. He has the production, measurables and game film to back up my faith in him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4739
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 6:34:55 PM   
kgdabom

I wish that people on ignores comments would not show up when somebody quotes them. Is that possible Mods? However, I am very glad to hear that the resident jerk might take more time away from the board. Unfortunately I will believe that when I no longer see his name pop up.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/25/2019 6:36:27 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4740
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 6:40:58 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

You left off Davis, the little guy that could surprise. I think WR more than any other position in football is a position where a guys heart plays more in to it than talent. I believe the thing that separates Diggs, a fifth round pick and AT, a free agent is their heart. Neither guy is exceptionally fast or more talented then most good receivers in the league, it's that willingness to go the extra mile to become the best version of themselves. You see it in all walks of life, not just sports, but the guys that automatically put in the extra time, get up at 4am to get out there and start working, they end up forcing themselves into the picture. We all remember how AT got himself noticed, then Diggs, but you can see the opposite from guys like Treadwell. He's going to find out very soon that you don't just make it in the NFL because you were a first round pick. I say let these guys go at it and you will see who needs to be on this team, they all have talent, but which ones will give that extra effort because its the natural thing to do, those guys will rise above, just like AT and Diggs did. Treadwell will be gone, then all that will be left is late round picks and free agents, a couple will rise to the top, should be interesting to watch!
Post #: 4741
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 7:00:03 PM   
marty

Diggs has heart, but you can also see quickness in the college film, gets up to speed very quickly, creating some separation. And, it seems like he is one step ahead of the opposition, quickness of mind, to make adjustments in the air, and to setup or fool the opponent when he takes steps.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4742
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 7:04:56 PM   
marty

If the Vikings make the playoffs, and are not getting a lot out of returns, they should consider Diggs for returns, like Anthony Carter.

I heard that putting too much stock in college highlight videos for 7th rd. pick WRs in particular is a sure sign of mental aberration

I resemble that remark, and wear it as a badge of honor. I am excited about Mitchell's potential, but believe that Johnson or Beebe will probably beat him out this year for the #3 spot.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4743
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 8:11:57 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

Diggs has heart, but you can also see quickness in the college film, gets up to speed very quickly, creating some separation. And, it seems like he is one step ahead of the opposition, quickness of mind, to make adjustments in the air, and to setup or fool the opponent when he takes steps.

Yes, no doubt you could see Diggs had potential, I was really stocked when we selected him, not because i knew who he was, I didn't, but when watching the tape on him, he had the potential. That's my point, I remember Rice when he first started his rise. He had a relentless workout regimen that became famous, he worked harder than anyone and it paid off. He wasn't particularly fast, but he worked so hard at his route running, his preperation, his knowledge of the DB's in the league and how to beat them, that he turned himself in to a HOFer. He could have settled for just being a guy talented enough to play in the NFL, but his heart, his character, wouldn't allow it. The history of the NFL has many guys like John Randle who came from nowhere to became great players and story's, but in each case, it was their heart that drove them, that is the same with guys like AT and Diggs, talent yes, but they have an extra advantage because of their heart.

I just like those story's, they guy who gets overlooked for the flashy guy that everyone drools over. This league is full of that, it's probably why I still watch it even though I think the league has diminished it's product.
Post #: 4744
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 8:29:31 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

You left off Davis, the little guy that could surprise. I think WR more than any other position in football is a position where a guys heart plays more in to it than talent. I believe the thing that separates Diggs, a fifth round pick and AT, a free agent is their heart. Neither guy is exceptionally fast or more talented then most good receivers in the league, it's that willingness to go the extra mile to become the best version of themselves. You see it in all walks of life, not just sports, but the guys that automatically put in the extra time, get up at 4am to get out there and start working, they end up forcing themselves into the picture. We all remember how AT got himself noticed, then Diggs, but you can see the opposite from guys like Treadwell. He's going to find out very soon that you don't just make it in the NFL because you were a first round pick. I say let these guys go at it and you will see who needs to be on this team, they all have talent, but which ones will give that extra effort because its the natural thing to do, those guys will rise above, just like AT and Diggs did. Treadwell will be gone, then all that will be left is late round picks and free agents, a couple will rise to the top, should be interesting to watch!

Yeah, I got a little lazy. Leber said Davis stood out at OTAs. I'm hopeful we find a few players in the second tier (behind Diggs/Thielan) that can man the 3rd spot and step in when injuries. When it comes to WRs, I'm looking for a players that add a different element. Badet with speed. Taylor with height. Mitchel/Beebe/Johnson all seem more similar to Diggs/Thielan. I haven't seen anything on Davis yet so I can't compare yet.

Completely agree on rooting for the scrappers. When you get to the professional level, the difference is athletic ability is pretty minimal. I had a H.S. buddy that played a few PGA events, but was on the Nationwide Tour, Canadian PGA, etc. i think he told me it was like 1/2 stroke a tournament was the difference between keeping your card or losing it. My friend had all the talent in the world, just wasn't a range rat. VJ Sinhg was known for playing a tourny then hitting 500 range balls after. On the flip side, another H.S. friend, made a nice career in the NHL. Wasn't even the most talented player on our H.S. team. Played for the Avs and blues based purely on effort.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 4745
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 9:24:39 PM  1 votes
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Not much here any more. Every other post is some whacked crap from KGBUM. He shits all over the board incessantly; guess he doesn't have anything else to do. After years here, time to throttle way back. Maybe return to enjoy reading posts and posting during the few times KGBUM isn't monopolizing the board. Sadly, far too many will actually go tit for tat with him, page after page, on some issue that quickly goes illogical. That is probably more disheartening. Aloha.

+1

Poison.
Post #: 4746
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 9:30:07 PM   
JT2

quote:

I think Diggs may have the best quickness/footwork of any WR in the league.

Redzone, single coverage, his fake slant, fade is ridiculous.
Post #: 4747
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 10:25:47 PM   
odin

quote:

Too bad contributing posters are cutting back as a result of this ongoing nonsense; it seems to be a worse plague than the Hydra was to the old board. Picking fly shit out of pepper over and over and over again. The Hydra was abusive but at least provided some interesting content at times.

One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the Last Word Troll abideth for ever.
Post #: 4748
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2019 10:31:06 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Kind of like the Hydra on meds ...

Damn! Just read this after posting a comparison of the Last Word Troll w/ the Hydra when replying to Bill.

< Message edited by odin -- 5/25/2019 10:36:20 PM >
Post #: 4749
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2019 12:00:30 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Only two current #Vikings wide receivers played in every single game last season: Adam Thielen... and Brandon Zylstra. Look for the former Cobber and CFL wideout to take on an expanded role in his 2nd season in Purple. (Andy Carlson on Twitter)

📺: https://t.co/LE3zXFqfpD https://t.co/PfEoFbmuyp

Post #: 4750
Page:   <<   < prev  188 189 [190] 191 192   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  188 189 [190] 191 192   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode