Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  249 250 [251] 252 253   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 10:31:58 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

At the very least bring back our accurate kicker from 2 years ago and let the new guy punt and kick off...

The guy who was 24/30 from beyond 30 yards and missed 5 PATs?
Post #: 6251
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 10:42:59 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

At the very least bring back our accurate kicker from 2 years ago and let the new guy punt and kick off...

The guy who was 24/30 from beyond 30 yards and missed 5 PATs?

yes that guy. He made them when they counted and you don't rate a kickers accuracy by taking out all 30 yard and less kicks.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6252
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 12:24:40 PM   
TJSweens

It's a great way to rate accuracy. Very few FG attempts of less than 29 yards are missed by any kickers in the NFL. We can include the whole lot though. Forbath's over all percentage of 84.2% with the Vikings was good for 17th place in the NFL. His PAT % of 87.2% was 28th in the NFL.

I also dispute the logic that says the 6 that he missed didn't count.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6253
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 12:35:37 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

It's a great way to rate accuracy. Very few FG attempts of less than 29 yards are missed by any kickers in the NFL. We can include the whole lot though. Forbath's over all percentage of 84.2% with the Vikings was good for 17th place in the NFL. His PAT % of 87.2% was 28th in the NFL.

Exactly. A 30 yard FG is shorter than a PAT.

In fact looking at last year's numbers, only THREE FGS of less than 30 yards were missed across the entire league.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/kicking.htm

< Message edited by David Levine -- 8/13/2019 12:38:58 PM >
Post #: 6254
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 12:47:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Exactly. A 30 yard FG is shorter than a PAT.

In fact looking at last year's numbers, only THREE FGS of less than 30 yards were missed across the entire league.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/kicking.htm

Yes the 30 yard and less FGs are seldom missed. However, when rating a kickers accuracy they are always included or kickers would not have the accuracy percentages they do. I was surprised he was only middle of the pack in FG accuracy. Does it take 90% now to make the top ten? As for disputing the logic of subtracting all his misses nobody proposed that being done unless somehow you took my saying he made them when they counted as a proposal to do that. It wasn't. It was pointing out that in what is called clutch situations he came through most if not all of the time.
As for his missing PATs that was very strange, but PATs only count 1 and they should seldom be kicked anyway. Therefore I don't care much about them. Not to be taken as I don't care, but if my FG Kicker can make 84% or better of his FGs I can live with 87% on his PATs.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/13/2019 12:51:44 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6255
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 12:57:27 PM   
TJSweens

Suit yourself. I'd rather have a good kicker.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6256
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 1:03:06 PM   
jbusse

quote:

They seem to prefer a big leg, probably for kickoffs. Walsh, Carlson, and now Vedvik can all kick it a long way. I guess that's the main reason they didn't like Forbath. My sense is Forbath was accurate enough, except on PATs.
Post #: 6257
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 1:21:12 PM  1 votes
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

I have a parking pass for the seahawks game. Its located right next to the stadium, with an attached bridge to it.

$20. PM Me..

I didn't get the impression that David was selling anything. You are, and even if it's the best deal in the world, is this really the place to do that?

I say, don't sell shit in here. Slippery slope.

BTW, good to see you back. I was hopeful you might have some Viking knowledge/opinion to share. Be better.

I've occassionally mentioned parking passes for three years. So, this isnt anything new. I made a post and if someone reaches out, they do. If not, thts fine too.

I've put in enough blood, sweat and tears on this site to mention a hugely discounted parking pass for one of our peeps on here to use. Sorry you were offended .

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 6258
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 1:55:20 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I wish you well, Ian. Please don't be a stranger. Let's talk football again.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6259
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 2:02:24 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

I have a parking pass for the seahawks game. Its located right next to the stadium, with an attached bridge to it.

$20. PM Me..

I didn't get the impression that David was selling anything. You are, and even if it's the best deal in the world, is this really the place to do that?

BTW, good to see you back. I was hopeful you might have some Viking knowledge/opinion to share. Be better.

I've occassionally mentioned parking passes for three years. So, this isnt anything new. I made a post and if someone reaches out, they do. If not, thts fine too.

I've put in enough blood, sweat and tears on this site to mention a hugely discounted parking pass for one of our peeps on here to use. Sorry you were offended .

I thought I remembered Ian giving away prizes for contests in here Pete?

Not sure him making a couple parking passes available for a toll is that big a deal?

Understand not making this a flea market for sure though.
  Post #: 6260
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 2:03:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

84% overall with around 100% in the clutch and 87% PATs is a good kicker. I had no issue with Forbath as our kicker at all.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/13/2019 2:09:16 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6261
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 2:15:46 PM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

FGs by "Mr. Clutch" in 2017:

In Wins: 87.5%
In Losses: 66.7%

Games 1-8: 21/22
Games 9-16: 11/16

Final margin:
0-7 Points: 6/9
8-14 Points: 13/14
15+ Points: 13/15

So he was great in the first half of the season, in wins and in blowouts. Much less so in the 2nd half of the season, in losses and in close games.

Doesn't seem like a guy to pine after to me.
Post #: 6262
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 2:30:39 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

Yo Greitzer! Great article- nice to see humor and insight instead of the usual drival and clickbait sites...
Post #: 6263
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 2:35:48 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

84% overall with around 100% in the clutch and 87% PATs is a good kicker. I had no issue with Forbath as our kicker at all.

Who said he was 100% in the clutch? Where are the numbers that support that statement? And 87% on PAT is piss poor. He was so good in 2017 that he got picked up for a whopping 3 games in 2018.

Post #: 6264
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 2:39:57 PM   
odin

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

So he was great in the first half of the season, in wins and in blowouts. Much less so in the 2nd half of the season, in losses and in close games.

Should be enough evidence for all but the circumlocutory poster who always needs to have the "last word".
Post #: 6265
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 2:44:31 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

Should be enough evidence for all but the circumlocutory poster who always needs to have the "last word".

Circumlocutory. Damn this board is educational.

Post #: 6266
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 2:47:55 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

Ian...not that u need my approval..
But I see NOTHING wrong with your post.
Come on..comments about a parking pass?!
It's Vikings..all good..all love!
Post #: 6267
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:06:29 PM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

quote:

$20. PM Me..

I thought I remembered Ian giving away prizes for contests in here Pete?

Not sure him making a couple parking passes available for a toll is that big a deal?

Understand not making this a flea market for sure though.

Brad H. sold shit(opinions) on here for years.

What's the big deal?
Post #: 6268
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:19:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who said he was 100% in the clutch? Where are the numbers that support that statement? And 87% on PAT is piss poor. He was so good in 2017 that he got picked up for a whopping 3 games in 2018.

87% on PATs is piss poor and hard to explain. However, I don't give a rat's ass about PATs if he missed a few a year. FGs count triple the PATs and that is what matters to me. We lost 3 games total that year and I didn't say that he was 100% in the clutch. I'm not certain. I know he made a huge FG down the stretch to win the Saints game only to have the defense blow it. I had no problems whatsoever with Forbath.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6269
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:21:26 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

87% on PATs is piss poor and hard to explain. However, I don't give a rat's ass about PATs if he missed a few a year. FGs count triple the PATs and that is what matters to me. We lost 3 games total that year and I didn't say that he was 100% in the clutch. I'm not certain. I know he made a huge FG down the stretch to win the Saints game only to have the defense blow it. I had no problems whatsoever with Forbath.

Circumlocutory indeed.

Post #: 6270
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:23:58 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

How many of those lost games were lost because of a missed FG? Was it any? How many of those lost games were on a missed FG of less than 50 yards? If the answer is none than he was 100% in the clutch. Maybe I'm circumlocutory maybe I'm not because I don't know what that word means. I don't really care. Forbath absolutely got the job done for us.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6271
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:25:24 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

Forbath was 47/53 while with the Vikes including 7/10 on field goals 50+ yards. I'd be thrilled with that going forward. Clutch is subjective -- he did make the long field goal late against the Saints. As mentioned, he had other shortcomings (PATs and kickoffs).

That's all from me on Forbath. I'm happy to have Vedvik!
Post #: 6272
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:26:15 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Circumlocutory indeed.

around 100% in the clutch is absolutely not saying 100% in the clutch. I said around because I wasn't sure. He may have missed one clutch FG. I guess I'm circumlocutory. I don't give a rat's ass.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6273
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:31:24 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

How many of those lost games were lost because of a missed FG? Was it any? How many of those lost games were on a missed FG of less than 50 yards? If the answer is none than he was 100% in the clutch. Maybe I'm circumlocutory maybe I'm not because I don't know what that word means. I don't really care. Forbath absolutely got the job done for us.

No he didn't. If he did we wouldn't have drafted a kicker and cut him. If he was that good, he would have been picked up for more than a 3 game stint last year. There is a level of performance that separates the upper level of kickers from the guys who bounce around from team to team. Clearly Forbath doesn't have that. Otherwise he wouldn't be looking to catch on with his 5th team.

Post #: 6274
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:32:30 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

Forbath was 47/53 while with the Vikes including 7/10 on field goals 50+ yards. I'd be thrilled with that going forward. Clutch is subjective -- he did make the long field goal late against the Saints. As mentioned, he had other shortcomings (PATs and kickoffs).

That's all from me on Forbath. I'm happy to have Vedvik!

Thank you. So DL was cherry picking. DL always tries to win arguments rather than get at the truth. He doesn't care about the truth just winning. He words things in a way that might be true, but are actually lies in that they are an attempt to deceive. I didn't go back to double check DLs facts, but it appears I should have. Forbath rounded up to 89% on all FGs and 70% beyond 50 yards. I'd be thrilled with that going forward also.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6275
Page:   <<   < prev  249 250 [251] 252 253   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  249 250 [251] 252 253   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode