Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 11:36:19 AM   
Pager

https://thevikingage.com/2019/08/15/hill-might-remain-minnesota-vikings/

All the reports I've read is that Hill has looked good. Getting reps with second team, I doubt he gets cut. Here's hoping the sting of no paycheck and no team functions is a wake-up call.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6426
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 12:39:59 PM   
Bill Jandro

Vedvik appears to be one heck of a P.

But our obvious ST weak link is FG's. If Vedvik will be kicking off and doing long FG's plus FG's from the right hash mark I don't see why we'd even consider keeping Bailey around.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6427
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 1:44:57 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

But our obvious ST weak link is FG's. If Vedvik will be kicking off and doing long FG's plus FG's from the right hash mark I don't see why we'd even consider keeping Bailey around.

He's a better kicker than Bailey and a better punter than Wile, so have him do both. As others have mentioned, would give us a spot on the roster for Blasingame or Udoh.
Post #: 6428
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 4:57:36 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Our tight end position is one of the deepest on our team. If Morgan goes on PUP that isn't all bad. We can avoid cutting one for now and if another one does get hurt during the season it's nice to have Morgan coming back in reserve. Perhaps we can say the same with regard to Hill and the cornerbacks. I hope that we carry just two qb's with one on the practice squad. Still, there will be some painful cuts. There are going to be three games in the next 12 days. Maybe a lot of this will be sorted out by their play. I don't know why I worry so much about the bottom of the roster. This team is built to go a long way. Paul Allen said on the radio that this team is the best team that he has seen at the beginning of the season since the Bret Favre team that went to the NFC championship game. That team was loaded with talent.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6429
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 6:41:22 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

He's a better kicker than Bailey and a better punter than Wile, so have him do both. As others have mentioned, would give us a spot on the roster for Blasingame or Udoh.

Would be fantastic if Vedvik could do both! But if I was the coach, Bailey would probably be the one I let go. He's still struggling in practice. Wile is not a bad punter, but he's not good at being a holder on Field Goals.

But watching Bailey missing FGs this training camp season has to worry Viking fans. I don't want us losing (or tying) because of missed FGs.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 6430
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 7:31:52 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Our tight end position is one of the deepest on our team. If Morgan goes on PUP that isn't all bad. We can avoid cutting one for now and if another one does get hurt during the season it's nice to have Morgan coming back in reserve. Perhaps we can say the same with regard to Hill and the cornerbacks. I hope that we carry just two qb's with one on the practice squad. Still, there will be some painful cuts. There are going to be three games in the next 12 days. Maybe a lot of this will be sorted out by their play. I don't know why I worry so much about the bottom of the roster. This team is built to go a long way. Paul Allen said on the radio that this team is the best team that he has seen at the beginning of the season since the Bret Favre team that went to the NFC championship game. That team was loaded with talent.

I heard Paul Allen say that as well. He made it sound like he was somewhat pessimistic about last year's team. Didn't seem quite right, as I've listened to him over the years, and I didn't detect that in his outlook last year.
Post #: 6431
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 7:38:28 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

quote:

Would be fantastic if Vedvik could do both! But if I was the coach, Bailey would probably be the one I let go. He's still struggling in practice. Wile is not a bad punter, but he's not good at being a holder on Field Goals.

But watching Bailey missing FGs this training camp season has to worry Viking fans. I don't want us losing (or tying) because of missed FGs.

If Bailey missed an important field goal from the right hash mark, people would go ballistic. If I were Zimmer, it wouldn't be worth the risk. Vedvik himself is a risk, but maybe less prone to second guessing, as Bailey has not kicked well lately.
Post #: 6432
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 10:41:58 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/16/kirk-cousins-plans-to-look-for-more-off-schedule-run-opportunities/

Does anyone have the slightest fear that our coaches are trying to re-invent Kirk's game? I believe there was a reason he was coached up to stay in pocket and not look for those "run opportunities" while in Washington. I believe they knew his lack of field awareness, ball security and fumbling issues were a real problem as well as the fact they had just lost the hyper scrambling RG3 to injury forcing them to reinvent their game with Kirk at signal caller...

Hopefully its all just a smokescreen and some improved O line blocking and an improved running game called by reinvented O schemes afford Kirk the pocket comfort he requires for his game to work and his play action abilities to prosper. The idea of him taking a page from Fran's book and scrambling around to buy time to create plays has opposing D players licking their chops at swatting that ball outta there Im sure...

Didnt pay Kirk as we did to have him come in and be Case Keenum 2.0 with a stronger arm...

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/featured/two-key-areas-a-deeper-look-into-kirk-cousins-fumbles-and-play-action-success/

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/08/how-kirk-cousins-accuracy-can-drive-the-vikings-offense/

In 2016 Cousins gained 4,917 yards at an impressive 8.1 yards per attempt, which ranked third in the NFL only behind Matt Ryan and Tom Brady. He ranked eighth in Pro Football Focus’s passing grade, a shade behind Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.

The McVay offense is predicated on play-action throws and bootlegs that ask the quarterback to hit intermediate crossing routes in stride and complete deep throws when opportunities present themselves. When using play-action in ’16, Cousins averaged 10.4 yards per attempt (second best in the NFL per PFF) and when launching the ball more than 20 yards in the air the former Michigan State QB posted the fourth highest rating in the league.
Post #: 6433
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 10:42:25 PM   
mikegreitzer

If the Vikings go with Bailey in week one, he'll be gone by mid-season.

Why screw around? You brought in Vedvik to save us the anguish!
Post #: 6434
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 10:43:28 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikegreitzer

If the Vikings go with Bailey in week one, he'll be gone by mid-season.

Why screw around? You brought in Vedvik to save us the anguish!

Completely unknowable.
Post #: 6435
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/17/2019 10:53:48 PM  1 votes
geoffrey greitzer

Opinion board...no one is God here.
Relax....Bailey should be gone
Post #: 6436
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 12:06:43 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

I heard Paul Allen say that as well. He made it sound like he was somewhat pessimistic about last year's team. Didn't seem quite right, as I've listened to him over the years, and I didn't detect that in his outlook last year.

I agree, although we certainly did have concerns about the offensive line. Doesn't it feel like the offensive line should be better this year? Doesn't it feel like the offensive line coaching situation is in a better place than a year ago when the coach suddenly passed away?

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/18/2019 12:11:09 AM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6437
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 12:07:10 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Self deleted a duplicate post.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/18/2019 12:10:03 AM >

Post #: 6438
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 2:00:10 AM   
ratoppenheimer

bailey has missed 18 field goals in training camp...over the last four years bailey has missed only 19 fg's on 112 attempts....

he has missed fours years worth of fg's in one training camp with zero pressure...i would guess that he's having the worst training camp of any kicker in the league....

if we lose to atlanta by three points and bailey misses two fieldgoals zimmer is going to look like a big idiot....

hopefully vedvik aces everything he does in pre season and makes the decision even more obvious than it is right now....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6439
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 6:11:18 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree, although we certainly did have concerns about the offensive line. Doesn't it feel like the offensive line should be better this year? Doesn't it feel like the offensive line coaching situation is in a better place than a year ago when the coach suddenly passed away?

There were good reasons to be optimistic last year as well, coming on the heels of the season where they made it to the NFC championship game, with Cousins thought to be a solid upgrade over Keenum, and DeFilippo thought to be bringing in the latest and greatest offensive schemes. The offensive line wasn’t expected to be as awful as it turned out, given that it was middle of the road in 2017.
Post #: 6440
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 6:45:15 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

bailey has missed 18 field goals in training camp...over the last four years bailey has missed only 19 fg's on 112 attempts....

he has missed fours years worth of fg's in one training camp with zero pressure...i would guess that he's having the worst training camp of any kicker in the league....

if we lose to atlanta by three points and bailey misses two fieldgoals zimmer is going to look like a big idiot....

hopefully vedvik aces everything he does in pre season and makes the decision even more obvious than it is right now....

Do kickers routinely, or maybe a better word is typically do worse in the training camps as they prepare to have their best stuff when the season begins? I don't know.

Post #: 6441
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 6:48:30 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There were good reasons to be optimistic last year as well, coming on the heels of the season where they made it to the NFC championship game, with Cousins thought to be a solid upgrade over Keenum, and DeFilippo thought to be bringing in the latest and greatest offensive schemes. The offensive line wasn’t expected to be as awful as it turned out, given that it was middle of the road in 2017.

You make good points. The offensive line coach that took over had experience with a Super Bowl team. The situation with Elflein proved to be a snag, though. I was surprised how bad of a year Remmers had at his new position. I thought he would do better.

Post #: 6442
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 8:13:43 AM   
Viking Rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You make good points. The offensive line coach that took over had experience with a Super Bowl team. The situation with Elflein proved to be a snag, though. I was surprised how bad of a year Remmers had at his new position. I thought he would do better.

Remmers has never been great, but he was much better at RT than at RG. Because the line was so thin in talent, Zimmer and Co. tried to experiment by moving him to G, and it turned out to be a disaster. What was really telling though is how he was left there to go the entire season. It was painful to watch, and shows how inadequate the coaching was and the horrible decisions that were made.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 6443
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 9:47:07 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

Do kickers routinely, or maybe a better word is typically do worse in the training camps as they prepare to have their best stuff when the season begins? I don't know.

My recollection is they do better, on average, in training camp. Last year at the Cowboys camp, Bailey did well, but was cut nevertheless:

In training camp practices in Oxnard, Dan Bailey made 42 of 47 field goal attempts in special teams' and 11 on 11 drills. -- per Todd Archer on Twitter.
Post #: 6444
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 10:25:35 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

Obviously it's not good all the misses and missing in TC is probably not his norm but regarding the statement some people are better with pressure than not. There are lots of activities im better at with more competition than not.

Hst, im not saying there's nothing wrong.
But to think this rookie that's able to do cool things is going to make all his FGs v. Atlanta is misguided, imo
(like how i threw out that "imo" Todd?)
Post #: 6445
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 10:29:08 AM   
Chris Olson

Saw this on facebook today (sorry if it isn't the appropriate thread):

Milwaukee, WI. (AP) - A fifteen-year old boy was at the center of a Milwaukee County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.
The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.
The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him.
After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.
After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Green Bay Packers, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Skol Vikes!
Post #: 6446
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 10:38:03 AM   
thebigo

quote:

If we go with Vedvik to start the season and lose to atlanta by three points and vedvik misses two fieldgoals zimmer is going to look like a big idiot....
Post #: 6447
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 11:21:49 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

Saw this on facebook today (sorry if it isn't the appropriate thread):

Milwaukee, WI. (AP) - A fifteen-year old boy was at the center of a Milwaukee County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.
The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.
The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him.
After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.
After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Green Bay Packers, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Skol Vikes!

You had me all the way.

Post #: 6448
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 11:47:16 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

If we go with Vedvik to start the season and lose to atlanta by three points and vedvik misses two fieldgoals zimmer is going to look like a big idiot....

You could flip it around and say the same thing. Trusting a kicker who's kicked poorly throughout training camp seems foolish as well.

Edit: Sorry, repeating rat.

< Message edited by jbusse -- 8/18/2019 11:55:35 AM >
Post #: 6449
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/18/2019 12:14:35 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

vedvik is having a solid summer - bailey is not....

let's see how it plays out over the next couple of weeks...i'm not sold on anyone yet....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6450
Page:   <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode