Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  261 262 [263] 264 265   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 9:39:16 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

I was hoping there would be a shifting of opinion on Sloter with the changing of the guard on the offensive staff.

Seeing as the Denver faithful were apoplectic when the QB needy Broncos waived him with pretty much zero QB talent up there, you’d think it would’ve at the very least been intriguing to see what Sloter could’ve done that Brock Osweiler, and Trevor Semian didn’t.

Sheesh... Zimmer and the boys on the staff need to give Sloter #2 run this week in Buffalo!

If Zim cant see that Sloter is much better then I have no words. He just needs to get out of his own way.

“No words”

I almost typed the same thing Richard.

And especially for someone as insanely average as Sean Mannion.

Which has to make you think there is more to this than just his play. Over the past couple of seasons, everyone has loved Sloter, he's shown the type of aggressiveness we all want to see and quite honestly reminds some of us of a guy from the early days that just seem to will the team to win.

But you have to look at our coaching staff for a second. Take out Zim, the rest of the guys you have are pretty solid offensive minds with years of experience. They see this kid every day, listen to him talk, watch him prepare, see his reactions to coaching, etc., etc.. I would have to think that every team in the NFL is trying to put the best guys on their team to win a championship, these guys are no different. There is something they haven't seen from him that is holding him back, it's obviously not what he has done in the preseason, so I just bow to the guys that are in a better position than I to make these decisions. I like Sloter, but I don't know Sloter.

On the surface everything you say is reasonable and sensible.

But this is the same coaching regime that wouldn't put Diggs on the field with a horrible receiving corp until injuries forced them too.
And he tore up an elite Denver defense in his first game (I believe... memory could unreliable... but pretty sure that is right)
So I have some trepidation when it comes to sitting a guy who tears it up in preseason consistently for a guy who looks mediocre at best every time I've seen him play.

You are correct sir it was at Denver the year they won the Super Bowl. Aqiub Talib (sp?)had a real tough time covering Diggs. Yes he burst onto the scene, as they were forced into playing him.

I agree with just about everything Dana said, my only retort would be we’ve seen what Mannion can do when he plays in season, and it’s even worse then Trevor Semian.

IDK they may think they can magically get a Nick Foles like revival out of another ex- Ram? Problem is Mannion never showed anything at this level. Nothing.

But all the half hearted/ back handed compliments from Zimmer and the Coaching staff is troubling on his (Sloter) future here.iMO

< Message edited by kurt bilben -- 8/19/2019 9:41:31 PM >
  Post #: 6551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 9:42:15 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

we don't have a preference....we're telling you the team clearly prefers Mannion (Matthew Coller on Twitter)

Sloter is going to end up being "the one that got away" for the next decade...

Watch the deft and unhurried fakes Sloter does when doing play-action. Very impressive and deceptive.

Look at Sloter's poise and judgement compared to that stiff Mannequin's. How may boneheaded decisions/plays have you seen Sloter make? Do you remember his receivers getting blown up from him making panicked/ill-advised throws?

Watch how effortlessly he flings the ball all over the field with complete confidence. He reminds me of Kurt Warner with his ball placement and quick release. They kept rolling him out to the left and he still had no problem hitting receivers perfectly in stride while on the run.

WTH am I missing? Is he going to suddenly come unglued when 19 and 14 are on the field against a more skillful D when he gets smacked in the jaw? I seriously doubt it, as Sloter seems to have the unquantifiable "it" and burning desire to be great and prove his detractors wrong along with his other obvious gifts. I can totally see 19 and 14 getting huge YAC as Sloter has been showing great judgement and confidence throwing right into the teeth of the defense with his apparently excellent field vision.

He's a late-bloomer with extremely limited experience and will obviously have growing pains, but I think we could have a top-10 or better talent in a few years. Imagine him with experience and "polish". I know it is very rube-like to think/feel this way in regards to a 3rd-string qb, but I don't care about that perception. I just want Sloter to have a chance, because it would be so Viking-like to let him get away and lead another team to a championship.
Post #: 6552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 9:46:21 PM   
Ragnarök

Sorry but this coaching staff starting with the head guy in charge on down values a certain kind of QB over another, its been VERY obvious through this regime...

It was obvious when Case was the starter and I think Sloter possesses some of same gene... I seriously doubt that the Bret Favre revival season would have ever happened with the regime at hand... they value a certain kind of commodity at QB...
Post #: 6553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 9:48:51 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

quote:

quote:

we don't have a preference....we're telling you the team clearly prefers Mannion (Matthew Coller on Twitter)

Sloter is going to end up being "the one that got away" for the next decade...

Watch the deft and unhurried fakes Sloter does when doing play-action. Very impressive and deceptive.

Look at Sloter's poise and judgement compared to that stiff Mannequin's. How may boneheaded decisions/plays have you seen Sloter make? Do you remember his receivers getting blown up from him making panicked/ill-advised throws?

Watch how effortlessly he flings the ball all over the field with complete confidence. He reminds me of Kurt Warner with his ball placement and quick release. They kept rolling him out to the left and he still had no problem hitting receivers perfectly in stride while on the run.

WTH am I missing? Is he going to suddenly come unglued when 19 and 14 are on the field against a more skillful D when he gets smacked in the jaw? I seriously doubt it, as Sloter seems to have the unquantifiable "it" and burning desire to be great and prove his detractors wrong along with his other obvious gifts. I can totally see 19 and 14 getting huge YAC as Sloter has been showing great judgement and confidence throwing right into the teeth of the defense with his apparently excellent field vision.

He's a late-bloomer with extremely limited experience and will obviously have growing pains, but I think we could have a top-10 or better talent in a few years. Imagine him with experience and "polish". I know it is very rube-like to think/feel this way in regards to a 3rd-string qb, but I don't care about that perception. I just want Sloter to have a chance, because it would be so Viking-like to let him get away and lead another team to a championship.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 9:51:24 PM   
Ragnarök

I a Viking like future the Green Bay Packers will pick up Sloter after we cut him and he will sit behind an aging Rodgers for a season or two only to become our worst nightmare in the near future...
Post #: 6555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 10:14:29 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings rookie Oli Udoh's first 48 snaps at RT:
0 pressures, no penalties

Udoh has the 11th highest pass block grade of all tackles (of 121 tackles with 30+ snaps).

The only qualifying tackle graded higher than Udoh in both pass and run blocking is fellow rookie Andre Dillard.

(Krauser on Twitter)

The Strib dude has him on the PS in today's column. I think if he plays anywhere near what he did the first 2 games in the next 2, he'll get sniped immediately.

Good OT's are like gold. They go high in the draft.

No. The easy OT picks go at the top of the draft. Good OTs can (and are) found all through the draft.

Smart teams don't care where guys were drafted once the draft is over.

That's the problem with Zimmer. From what I've seen from him, he doesn't value rookies high and will let vets who suck continue to play. I really believe too that he would get snatched up quickly if he's exposed to waivers. If it came down to him and Hill, I would go with Udoh. His potential is high and he's only going to get better.

I think Hill is about as good as he's ever going to be.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 6556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 10:24:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

https://vikingsspin.wordpress.com/2019/08/19/vikings-25-seahawks-19-post-game-recap/

it's unbelievable to see how open Irv Smith was for that TD. Unfortunately hard to give him much credit for it when he was completely unguarded.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 10:29:30 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I would like the Vikings to keep only two quarterbacks and look to trade one for even a lower draft pick. I was surprised that the rookie didn't play yesterday.

Maybe the Vikings didn't put Browning in the game for fear that if teams see him they will claim him when the Vikings try to put him on the PS.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 10:30:48 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I think at a minimum the coaches need to start talking about Sloter to #2, Boone to #2, and Irv to #1. I know Irv to #1 seems premature. Irv’s blocking’s last night was far superior to Rudolph’s and Irv’s receiving skills this far have shown to be at least as good as rudolph’s with potential for so much more.

Incredibly premature. Rudolph has been looking great in camp and good in the two pre season games so far.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 10:50:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was hoping there would be a shifting of opinion on Sloter with the changing of the guard on the offensive staff.

Seeing as the Denver faithful were apoplectic when the QB needy Broncos waived him with pretty much zero QB talent up there, you’d think it would’ve at the very least been intriguing to see what Sloter could’ve done that Brock Osweiler, and Trevor Semian didn’t.

Sheesh... Zimmer and the boys on the staff need to give Sloter #2 run this week in Buffalo!

If Zim cant see that Sloter is much better then I have no words. He just needs to get out of his own way.

“No words”

Which has to make you think there is more to this than just his play. Over the past couple of seasons, everyone has loved Sloter, he's shown the type of aggressiveness we all want to see and quite honestly reminds some of us of a guy from the early days that just seem to will the team to win.

But you have to look at our coaching staff for a second. Take out Zim, the rest of the guys you have are pretty solid offensive minds with years of experience. They see this kid every day, listen to him talk, watch him prepare, see his reactions to coaching, etc., etc.. I would have to think that every team in the NFL is trying to put the best guys on their team to win a championship, these guys are no different. There is something they haven't seen from him that is holding him back, it's obviously not what he has done in the preseason, so I just bow to the guys that are in a better position than I to make these decisions. I like Sloter, but I don't know Sloter.

But this is the same coaching regime that wouldn't put Diggs on the field with a horrible receiving corp until injuries forced them too.
And he tore up an elite Denver defense in his first game (I believe... memory could unreliable... but pretty sure that is right)
So I have some trepidation when it comes to sitting a guy who tears it up in preseason consistently for a guy who looks mediocre at best every time I've seen him play.

It's hardly the same coaching regime, certainly not the coaches that would be calling the shots on this.

I also don't remember people on these threads screaming for Diggs before he got his opportunity.

I was.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 10:53:38 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

“No words”

It's hardly the same coaching regime, certainly not the coaches that would be calling the shots on this.

I also don't remember people on these threads screaming for Diggs before he got his opportunity.

I was.

I think there were quite a few that were. I know I was asking for us to activate him on game day and give him a try.
Post #: 6561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 11:01:39 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

“No words”

I was.

I think there were quite a few that were. I know I was asking for us to activate him on game day and give him a try.

Diggs generated some buzz in his rookie preseason when footage of him in a drill where he was supposed to avoid two defenders and he put so many nifty moves on them with his footwork they couldn't even get a hand on him.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 11:10:36 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Offensive linemen often get devoloped on the NFL level because the college game is very different and o-linemen are not developed well at that level.

I'm kind of lost as to what point you're making? I really have no idea if you're agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, or just making random generalities.

Do you think Udoh should be on the PS? On the main roster? Does him being a 6th round pick color your perception?

I guess I'm not being clear, although I thought I was. Udoh has shown that he has the ability to be a very good lineman at this level. He came from a small college and even there was sort of a late bloomer. Here he is getting the benefit of NFL level coaching and is practicing with and against NFL level players. I'm thinking that he deserves consideration for "Mr. Mankato" for the surprising level of play he has shown at training camp and during the first two preseason games. There are very few offensive linemen who are ready to play out of college and almost always they get drafted very high. Most colleges do not have a Pro style offense. Pro style quarterbacks are scarce even at the NFL level and of course even rarer at the collegiate level. It's a different game where the quarterbacks usually don't take the ball under center and many of them are productive because they can run with the ball more than stand in the pocket and pass. The offensive linemen are not asked to do the same things they do at the NFL level and so when they get here they have a lot to learn. However, a lot of the players here at this level do get drafted later on potential and get developed. After the draft I was very high on Udoh. I remember commenting that I thought he would be good because of his size and athleticism and I was afraid that if we exposed him he would be snatched before going to the practice squad. That was before I have read about his good play during the games. So absolutely I believe he deserves to be kept on the 53 man roster. I would rather keep him that Kyle Rudolph or Everson Griffen. I would rather keep him than Sloter or any of the running backs other than Cook and Mattison. I would rather keep him more than Pat Elflein. I would rather keep him than any wide receiver on the team other than Diggs and Thielen. Any! I would rather keep him than any linebacker on the team except Barr and Kendricks. I would rather keep him than any of our punters or kickers. I would rather keep him than any of our cornerbacks after the first four that I mentioned this morning. I would rather keep him than Hill at OT and even Samia at Guard. Yes, even though Samia was selected in the fourth round and Udoh was selected in the sixth round I do not go only on the round that they were drafted in. Do I think he should be a starter, now? No, but I want to keep him and allow him to continue to develop because it looks like he can be a really good player at a position that is hard to get good players at. OT''s are harder to find than guards. I would like to see Udoh practice against the ones and twos. I would like to see him play vs the twos and threes in the games. He is a developing player so I would like to see him get lots of reps. I am even open to him being a starter as the season progresses. Right now I figure he still has a lot to learn. He is still raw and learning the game at the NFL level, but I will be mad as hell if we cut him and he gets snatched by another team. I will be cursing and shouting expletives and that's something I never do. So, am I more clear now?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 11:12:19 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I think at a minimum the coaches need to start talking about Sloter to #2, Boone to #2, and Irv to #1. I know Irv to #1 seems premature. Irv’s blocking’s last night was far superior to Rudolph’s and Irv’s receiving skills this far have shown to be at least as good as rudolph’s with potential for so much more.

Incredibly premature. Rudolph has been looking great in camp and good in the two pre season games so far.

https://twitter.com/Rstegs/status/1163243909801283589

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 11:26:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

My Japanese wife works at a store in Eagan and has shared with me that twice this week Viking players have come in as customers. She is very outgoing and spoke to them saying that "her husband knows all of the players and is a big fan, but I don't follow football, but are you one of the Vikings?" The one that she spoke to today said, shhh! She described them as being really big and muscular- that they stand out as being different than the other ordinary customers who walk in. In both cases she did not think to ask what their name was because it didn't matter to her, but she apologized to me because she knew it mattered to me.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 12:12:10 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Offensive linemen often get devoloped on the NFL level because the college game is very different and o-linemen are not developed well at that level.

I'm kind of lost as to what point you're making? I really have no idea if you're agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, or just making random generalities.

Do you think Udoh should be on the PS? On the main roster? Does him being a 6th round pick color your perception?

I guess I'm not being clear, although I thought I was. Udoh has shown that he has the ability to be a very good lineman at this level. He came from a small college and even there was sort of a late bloomer. Here he is getting the benefit of NFL level coaching and is practicing with and against NFL level players. I'm thinking that he deserves consideration for "Mr. Mankato" for the surprising level of play he has shown at training camp and during the first two preseason games. There are very few offensive linemen who are ready to play out of college and almost always they get drafted very high. Most colleges do not have a Pro style offense. Pro style quarterbacks are scarce even at the NFL level and of course even rarer at the collegiate level. It's a different game where the quarterbacks usually don't take the ball under center and many of them are productive because they can run with the ball more than stand in the pocket and pass. The offensive linemen are not asked to do the same things they do at the NFL level and so when they get here they have a lot to learn. However, a lot of the players here at this level do get drafted later on potential and get developed. After the draft I was very high on Udoh. I remember commenting that I thought he would be good because of his size and athleticism and I was afraid that if we exposed him he would be snatched before going to the practice squad. That was before I have read about his good play during the games. So absolutely I believe he deserves to be kept on the 53 man roster. I would rather keep him that Kyle Rudolph or Everson Griffen. I would rather keep him than Sloter or any of the running backs other than Cook and Mattison. I would rather keep him more than Pat Elflein. I would rather keep him than any wide receiver on the team other than Diggs and Thielen. Any! I would rather keep him than any linebacker on the team except Barr and Kendricks. I would rather keep him than any of our punters or kickers. I would rather keep him than any of our cornerbacks after the first four that I mentioned this morning. I would rather keep him than Hill at OT and even Samia at Guard. Yes, even though Samia was selected in the fourth round and Udoh was selected in the sixth round I do not go only on the round that they were drafted in. Do I think he should be a starter, now? No, but I want to keep him and allow him to continue to develop because it looks like he can be a really good player at a position that is hard to get good players at. OT''s are harder to find than guards. I would like to see Udoh practice against the ones and twos. I would like to see him play vs the twos and threes in the games. He is a developing player so I would like to see him get lots of reps. I am even open to him being a starter as the season progresses. Right now I figure he still has a lot to learn. He is still raw and learning the game at the NFL level, but I will be mad as hell if we cut him and he gets snatched by another team. I will be cursing and shouting expletives and that's something I never do. So, am I more clear now?

Crystal.
Post #: 6566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 3:04:44 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

And a bit man crushy, to say the least..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 3:06:27 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

I’d keep Sloter over udoh and it’s not even close..
Now if you want to cut manion/bunion and keep udoh, sign me up..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 8/20/2019 3:08:36 AM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 3:07:29 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Dp

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 6:20:23 AM   
marty

Crystal, like crystal meth ?

Keep Udoh over Griffen, Rudolph, and or Sloter ?

From a person that uses some drugs, to another that sounds like he does, this sort of personnel choice sounds a little like someone on crystal meth.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 6:28:23 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Positives through 2 games: (from Vikings Spin on Twitter)

*The Vikings O-linemen have not allowed a QB sack
*Cousins to Thielen might be even more lethal in 2019
*Offensive scheme & play calling are much better
*Vikings excelling at situational football
*Vikings cut penalties down from game 1 to game 2

Post #: 6571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 7:29:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Coverage and pass rush have been highly disappointing.

But we all know the preseason mantra “ vanilla... don’t give away too much...

So it is what it is..

Yea I know Dan, but what really bothers me more than anything is our effort against the run. It really doesn't matter about vanilla when it comes to smash mouth defense against the run, we look out of position in our run fits and out matched in the trenches. The second team is playing much better than the first team in these areas, again, I know it is preseason, but I'm just say'in, I hated the terrible play of the defense at the beginning of last year and I don't want to see that type of start this year, they have work to do!

Kendricks had rib and hamstring injuries last year and played hurt most of the year....doesn't surprise me that they are trying to keep him healthy going into the season.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 7:57:17 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Sorry but this coaching staff starting with the head guy in charge on down values a certain kind of QB over another, its been VERY obvious through this regime...

It was obvious when Case was the starter and I think Sloter possesses some of same gene... I seriously doubt that the Bret Favre revival season would have ever happened with the regime at hand... they value a certain kind of commodity at QB...

I think your right

Zim is old and conservative

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 8:03:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

I think your right

Zim is old and conservative

Not only is Zim---Kubiak is also.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 8:03:49 AM   
jbusse

Jerick McKinnon will reportedly have a platelet-rich plasma treatment on his surgically repaired knee. Doesn't sound promising when they have to resort to that. Brandon Roy comes to mind.
Post #: 6575
Page:   <<   < prev  261 262 [263] 264 265   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  261 262 [263] 264 265   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode