Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  263 264 [265] 266 267   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:27:09 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/08/what-do-pffs-stats-tell-us-about-the-vikings-first-two-preseason-games/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6601
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:27:11 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Talk seems to be that Hughes is close. If he's put on PUP he will be ineligible for 8 weeks.

If he isn't put on the PUP he still might not be ready to play until week 3 or 4 (just speculating).

Rhodes
Waynes
Mac
Hughes
Boyd

Keep Bene if Hughes is placed on PUP

I kept hearing gloom and doom type stuff about Hughes. Nice to hear he's close. If he isn't ready for week one we still shouldn't put him on the PUP if he will be ready by week 3 or 4.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6602
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:29:53 PM   
kgdabom

SD

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/20/2019 1:34:19 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6603
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:35:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It sounds like Jones has graded out well and Elflein has not. Perhaps Jones should start in his place. Elflein may just have had a really bad matchup vs the Seahawks, too. That happens. I want to see one more game and I'll be watching Elflein.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6604
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:36:02 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

From what I've heard Jones has played well. There will be surprises, though, no doubt. Good players will have to cut.

I didn't get any response for my take on the final cuts with regard to the cornerbacks. Any comments before I move on to the next position group? Let's make it the linebackers.

I agree with the CBs: Waynes, Rhodes, Mac, Hughes. I probably keep Boyd or Bernicke at this point. If Hughes needs to start on PUP, then you have to keep both. Hill will be on suspension, he can be evaluated when he comes back.

With Kearse looking so good at a Big Slot and safety, I think you can get away with only 5 CBs at the start of the season (again depending on Hughes and counting Kearse as S).

Because Hughes will not be ready for game one, keeping five means only having four. I think the team has to keep six including Hughes. But I like your take on the idea of counting Kearse as a nickel safety. I didn't think of that.

Bruce where are you getting that Hughes will absolutely without question not be ready for game one from? Paul Allen or Vikings personnel? Or do you consider PA to be Vikings personnel? Is he?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6605
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:36:03 PM   
kgdabom

Duplicate

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6606
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:38:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/featured/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-vikings-defeat-seahawks-in-preseason-game-no-2/

Zimmer missed a fairly clear chance to challenge a defensive pass interference call potentially committed against Bisi Johnson that could’ve given the ball to the Vikings near the goal line. Instead, Mannion threw his Pick 6 on the very next play. Zimmer seemed exasperated by the new rule after the game. “It’s hard to know when they’re going to call it, when they’re not going to call it,” he said.

Getting Zim to improve his clock mgmt and when/when not to throw the challenge flag would be like Cousins suddenly developing pocket presence.

Neither is going to happen. they are what they are.

Cousins has excellent pocket presence IMO.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6607
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:39:25 PM   
kgdabom

Duplicate.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/20/2019 1:45:11 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6608
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:43:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Here is a new 53 man roster prediction.

https://vikingsspin.wordpress.com/2019/08/20/vikings-spins-53-man-roster-prediction-1-0/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Jones playing well makes Dozier expendable.

Only 3 RB but 2 FBs?

Only read his Offense list so far.

EDIT

3- DT- A. Watts

4- OT O. Udoh

Neither make it to the Practice Squad.

I don't think Browning makes it to PS either.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6609
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:45:21 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/featured/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-vikings-defeat-seahawks-in-preseason-game-no-2/

Zimmer missed a fairly clear chance to challenge a defensive pass interference call potentially committed against Bisi Johnson that could’ve given the ball to the Vikings near the goal line. Instead, Mannion threw his Pick 6 on the very next play. Zimmer seemed exasperated by the new rule after the game. “It’s hard to know when they’re going to call it, when they’re not going to call it,” he said.

Getting Zim to improve his clock mgmt and when/when not to throw the challenge flag would be like Cousins suddenly developing pocket presence.

I’m hopeful Cousins starts playing well against good teams, and starts winning games as opposed to just stat stuffing.

However Kirk Cousins IMO is tone deaf as it comes to pocket presence...
  Post #: 6610
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:46:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

From what I've heard Jones has played well. There will be surprises, though, no doubt. Good players will have to cut.

I didn't get any response for my take on the final cuts with regard to the cornerbacks. Any comments before I move on to the next position group? Let's make it the linebackers.

I agree with the CBs: Waynes, Rhodes, Mac, Hughes. I probably keep Boyd or Bernicke at this point. If Hughes needs to start on PUP, then you have to keep both. Hill will be on suspension, he can be evaluated when he comes back.

With Kearse looking so good at a Big Slot and safety, I think you can get away with only 5 CBs at the start of the season (again depending on Hughes and counting Kearse as S).

Because Hughes will not be ready for game one, keeping five means only having four. I think the team has to keep six including Hughes. But I like your take on the idea of counting Kearse as a nickel safety. I didn't think of that.

Bruce where are you getting that Hughes will absolutely without question not be ready for game one from? Paul Allen or Vikings personnel? Or do you consider PA to be Vikings personnel? Is he?

He is paid by the Vikings as the broadcaster. He did say that Hughes will not be ready for game one He still has not even practiced with the team and we're about 19 days before game one of the season. He hasn't practiced for nearly a year, so I'm thinking he will not be counted on so quickly. When he does return, he will not be a starter anyway, unless one of the starters is injured.

Post #: 6611
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:51:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m hopeful Cousins starts playing well against good teams, and starts winning games as opposed to just stat stuffing.

Excellent was an overstatement, but I don't have any problem with his pocket presence.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6612
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 1:53:28 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He is paid by the Vikings as the broadcaster. He did say that Hughes will not be ready for game one He still has not even practiced with the team and we're about 19 days before game one of the season. He hasn't practiced for nearly a year, so I'm thinking he will not be counted on so quickly. When he does return, he will not be a starter anyway, unless one of the starters is injured.

I think once healthy be it game one or game 9 Hughes is certainly talented enough to be a starter if the injury hasn't taken that from him. I think he could be a pro bowler early in his career.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6613
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 2:22:20 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Excellent was an overstatement, but I don't have any problem with his pocket presence.

He fumbles a fair amount. That is a symptom of poor pocket presence. I'm not sure how he grades relative to the League. Worse than the typical elite QB.
Post #: 6614
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 2:33:51 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

we don't have a preference....we're telling you the team clearly prefers Mannion (Matthew Coller on Twitter)

Sloter is going to end up being "the one that got away" for the next decade...

Watch the deft and unhurried fakes Sloter does when doing play-action. Very impressive and deceptive.

Look at Sloter's poise and judgement compared to that stiff Mannequin's. How may boneheaded decisions/plays have you seen Sloter make? Do you remember his receivers getting blown up from him making panicked/ill-advised throws?

Watch how effortlessly he flings the ball all over the field with complete confidence. He reminds me of Kurt Warner with his ball placement and quick release. They kept rolling him out to the left and he still had no problem hitting receivers perfectly in stride while on the run.

WTH am I missing? Is he going to suddenly come unglued when 19 and 14 are on the field against a more skillful D when he gets smacked in the jaw? I seriously doubt it, as Sloter seems to have the unquantifiable "it" and burning desire to be great and prove his detractors wrong along with his other obvious gifts. I can totally see 19 and 14 getting huge YAC as Sloter has been showing great judgement and confidence throwing right into the teeth of the defense with his apparently excellent field vision.

He's a late-bloomer with extremely limited experience and will obviously have growing pains, but I think we could have a top-10 or better talent in a few years. Imagine him with experience and "polish". I know it is very rube-like to think/feel this way in regards to a 3rd-string qb, but I don't care about that perception. I just want Sloter to have a chance, because it would be so Viking-like to let him get away and lead another team to a championship.

Yep.

If we cut/expose him, well
Post #: 6615
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 2:35:02 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

It sounds like Jones has graded out well and Elflein has not. Perhaps Jones should start in his place. Elflein may just have had a really bad matchup vs the Seahawks, too. That happens. I want to see one more game and I'll be watching Elflein.

YES PLEASE!!
Post #: 6616
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 2:40:00 PM   
mikegreitzer

For the more "traditional" football fans here--some shade on the "QB SLIDE" rule.

https://vikings61.com/vikings-zimmer-defends-holton-hill-and-the-game-of-football/

Zimmer is from the Parcells coaching tree. He thinks football players should be football players.
Post #: 6617
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 2:43:16 PM   
Tom Sykes

RE: Sloter

I salivate over his play in a vanilla offense against 3rd teamers also.

I disagree with most in here about why he is stuck behind Mannion: I doubt it is knuckle-headed coaching myopia, its probably Sloter's fault ... for not being able to improve his mental grasp of the position and offense (to catch up with physical tools). Maybe he can only operate a vanilla / schoolyard offense (which most likely won't work against nfl defenses).

The team obviously likes the way he can throw a football / his physical skillset - a lot - we have invested quite a bit for a developmental project. Until he shows can orchestrate a fuller version of the offense, not sure he'll get a chance to prove himself against the twos or ones.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Tomasson
‏ @christomasson
3h3 hours ago
Fox analyst Charles Davis on Kyle Sloter: “I like him a lot in what he does but unless you see him working against 1st-string guys it’s hard to evaluate But he’s out there performing I think he plays with a lot of confidence I think he wants to compete for the job of.. No. 2 guy"

Chris Tomasson
‏ @christomasson
3h3 hours ago
#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer on Kyle Sloter 1/2: “I don’t know that you guys know all the little details about everything you see. You just see how he goes and does the games. He’s got to get a lot better in a lot of the other parts of being a quarterback. Making the right checks..

Chris Tomasson
‏ @christomasson
3h3 hours ago
#Vikings Mike Zimmer on Kyle Sloter 2/2: "Getting the people in the right formation, making sure the motion's there. Not missing the time clock when it’s eight yards in front of you. There’s a lot of things that he has to get better at if he wants to be the backup quarterback.’’

Chris Tomasson
‏ @christomasson
3h3 hours ago
Without fully saying so, #Vikings coach Mike Zimmer pretty said that Sean Mannion (barring injury) will be his backup quarterback. He's not getting caught up in Kyle Sloter preseason stats against third-teamers.
Post #: 6618
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 2:51:09 PM   
David Levine

Too bad Zimmer isn't getting caught up in what Mannion has done against NFL teams...

If we actually had a viable guy ahead of Sloter that would be one thing, but outside of his Jr. year of college, Mannion has never been good and his game is full of fatal flaws.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 8/20/2019 3:14:54 PM >
Post #: 6619
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 2:53:22 PM   
David Levine

I'm not surprised Mannion has been doing well in practice though. That's what he is - a practice player. He's good enough when everything is controlled and perfect. He crumbles when it isn't:

STRENGTHS
Four-year starter who owns 18 passing records at Oregon State. Tall quarterback who sees over the offensive line. Throws with high release point. Plays with desired footwork. Can sit down and shift weight properly to drive the intermediate throws. Played in pro-style offense and is comfortable with 3-, 5- and 7-step drops from under center. When protected, shows confidence to stand and deliver with accuracy to all areas of the field. Trusted by head coach Mike Riley to make pre-snap reads and audible. Played in multiple-read offense and shows patience in allowing routes to develop. Good feel for pro-style play-action passing attack and can throw with above-average accuracy and ball placement.

WEAKNESSES
Tempo of his play is a concern. Slow in takeaway from center and set-up and slow getting through progressions. Carries ball low in the pocket, allowing defenders to swipe at it. Finished career with 30 fumbles and 54 interceptions. Poise and mobility in pocket are below average. Not considered a play-extender outside of pocket. Drops eyes and misses throwing windows when he senses pressure around him. Decision making greatly influenced by level of pressure around him. Fails to throw with adequate zip when feet aren't under him and he doesn't step strongly into throw. Takes too long to get rid of throws on out routes.
Post #: 6620
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 3:08:20 PM   
Ian Joseph

Keep in mind that in order for practice squad type players to get sniped at the cutdown to 53, they have to be added to someone else's 53. I'm not sure we are in danger of losing many of our cuts to THAT.

With that being said, good linemen and quarterbacks are at big time risk, if exposed. Proceed with grave caution if cutting Sloter and Udoh.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 8/20/2019 3:11:11 PM >

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 6621
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 3:15:32 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Too bad Zimmer isn't getting caught up in what Mannion has done against NFL teams...

If we actually had a viable guy ahead of Sloter that would be one thing, but outride of his Jr. year of college, Mannion has never been good and his game is full of fatal flaws.

Sunday was the first time I had seen Mannion. I expected much worse based on the general opinion in here.

I am trying not to make up my mind about him until watching him play a bit more.

I am disappointed that Sloter has not been able to surge forward. I agree he has the ‘it’ factor.
Post #: 6622
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 3:33:30 PM   
marty

Maybe Zim should realize the potential in Sloter, and give him a lot more playing time, and see if he can get those things up to speed, while maintaining or improving the rest of his game.

I WAS inpressed with some of Mannion's throws, just didn't like his accuracy on the deeper throws.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6623
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 3:49:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I like this kind of report.

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2019/08/upon-further-review-vikings-defense-vs.html

Post #: 6624
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/20/2019 3:58:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This is huge. (no pun intended)

Linval Joseph got in a full practice with the #Vikings today for the first time this summer per multiple reports (Adam Patrick on Twitter)

Post #: 6625
Page:   <<   < prev  263 264 [265] 266 267   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  263 264 [265] 266 267   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode