Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  260 261 [262] 263 264   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 5:59:36 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Kyle Sloter @KyleSloter

The whole practice debate from some of these “professional analysts” is laughable 😂. Act like you know what’s going on. Please...

Is he referring to us?

Post #: 6526
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:02:02 PM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Kyle Sloter @KyleSloter

The whole practice debate from some of these “professional analysts” is laughable 😂. Act like you know what’s going on. Please...

That being said by the horse’s mouth, then what in the hell is keeping this kid out of the #2 QB slot?

Throws perhaps the best ball on the team.
Makes quick decisions
Fairly athletic (Wayyyyy more athletic then the sloth Mannion)

I’m not sure a player can/ has played better (albeit preseason) then Sloter has in his one preseason with Denver, and his 1 1/2 preseasons with us, and has less to show for it in the HISTORY OF THE NFL?

If it ain’t that he’s an absolute train wreck at practice, then what the hell is wrong with him.

Checks all the boxes for me.

They'd have to be better than 119 passes-89 comp. ( 74.8%) -957 yds-9 td-0 int. lol But it was against scrubs...wait a minute, Sloter was playing with scrubs too, more so than Mannequin at least.

My guess is Zim overvalues Mannion's 53 pass attempts in actual games. Not that Mannion ever looked good throwing those passes, but Zim seems a lot more comfortable with mediocrity with experience over a more talented guy that is all "potential".
Post #: 6527
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:07:50 PM   
joejitsu

I hope Samia keeps improving at guard because his attitude is needed on the oline. He can move and he plays through the whistle. With a year of working on a pro strength program, he'll be a good one for us.
Post #: 6528
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:13:55 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kyle Sloter @KyleSloter

That being said by the horse’s mouth, then what in the hell is keeping this kid out of the #2 QB slot?

Makes quick decisions

I’m not sure a player can/ has played better (albeit preseason) then Sloter has in his one preseason with Denver, and his 1 1/2 preseasons with us, and has less to show for it in the HISTORY OF THE NFL?

If it ain’t that he’s an absolute train wreck at practice, then what the hell is wrong with him.

They'd have to be better than 119 passes-89 comp. ( 74.8%) -957 yds-9 td-0 int. lol But it was against scrubs...wait a minute, Sloter was playing with scrubs too, more so than Mannequin at least.

My guess is Zim overvalues Mannion's 53 pass attempts in actual games. Not that Mannion ever looked good throwing those passes, but Zim seems a lot more comfortable with mediocrity with experience over a more talented guy that is all "potential".

That whole "playing not to lose" thing brings championships, right? I'm sick of his preferring known garbage over obvious ability.
Post #: 6529
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:14:48 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Kyle Sloter @KyleSloter

Is he referring to us?

I wish HE would tell us what is really going on lol!

< Message edited by odin -- 8/19/2019 6:22:30 PM >
Post #: 6530
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:19:22 PM   
odin

He's very tall and beat Sloter 40-38 on the Wonderlic, looks good w/ a clipboard, is obsequious to Zim and deferential to Kirk, wears his cap facing the "normal" direction and is an excellent practice player. So, he's the #2, case closed.
Post #: 6531
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:23:52 PM   
I was hoping there would be a shifting of opinion on Sloter with the changing of the guard on the offensive staff.

Seeing as the Denver faithful were apoplectic when the QB needy Broncos waived him with pretty much zero QB talent up there, you’d think it would’ve at the very least been intriguing to see what Sloter could’ve done that Brock Osweiler, and Trevor Semian didn’t.

Sheesh... Zimmer and the boys on the staff need to give Sloter #2 run this week in Buffalo!
  Post #: 6532
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:36:01 PM   
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kyle Sloter @KyleSloter

Makes quick decisions

That whole "playing not to lose" thing brings championships, right? I'm sick of his preferring known garbage over obvious ability.

Well then I guess Zim is going with backup plan behind backup plan

Dan Bailey slips up on another banana peal= here comes Vedvik.
Mannion shows he’s the sloth that he is= here comes Sloter.

Zim went out on a limb with Carlson last year, pretty sure that is stuck in his mind, but come on, Mannion’s “experience” is almost entirely of poor play.
  Post #: 6533
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:39:55 PM   
Pager

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2019/08/upon-further-review-vikings-offense-vs.html

For those that like Daniel House's view on things - see above.

My thoughts on a few posts:

Zim won't unleash SloatGoat now that there's a clamor for it. He's smarter than us.

Samia's been up and down. But he's nasty and shows flashes. Udoh is a beast. DO NOT place either on the practice squad (I don't think they will).

Watts on the defensive side looks like another gem. He's got the frame to add some muscle.

This could be turning into a helluva draft.

< Message edited by Pager -- 8/19/2019 6:41:29 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6534
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:44:57 PM   
Pager

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/08/despite-missed-chance-vs-seattle-cousins-sees-opportunity-in-rb-screens/

I noticed this last year once with Delvin Cook. Cousins wants to lead running backs, where it seems they (RBs) seem to want to settle down a bit more.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6535
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:48:27 PM   
Dana Turner

Someone was asking where they could get a recording of the games, I go to this site, it's pretty good!

https://www.skillout.org/vikings/
Post #: 6536
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 6:55:00 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

I was hoping there would be a shifting of opinion on Sloter with the changing of the guard on the offensive staff.

Seeing as the Denver faithful were apoplectic when the QB needy Broncos waived him with pretty much zero QB talent up there, you’d think it would’ve at the very least been intriguing to see what Sloter could’ve done that Brock Osweiler, and Trevor Semian didn’t.

Sheesh... Zimmer and the boys on the staff need to give Sloter #2 run this week in Buffalo!

If Zim cant see that Sloter is much better then I have no words. He just needs to get out of his own way.
Post #: 6537
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 7:03:05 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

If Zim cant see that Sloter is much better then I have no words. He just needs to get out of his own way.

“No words”

I almost typed the same thing Richard.

And especially for someone as insanely average as Sean Mannion.
  Post #: 6538
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 7:04:45 PM   
Dana Turner

The good thing about watching a recorded game is being able to run a play over and over so that you can focus on groups of players and how they interact together.

I am sure to take some heat for saying this and let me begin by saying that some players often go "lite" in the preseason, but there are a couple of guys that stick out. First, Kendricks, I'm sorry, I know everyone loves the guy and I am really hoping that he is just playing "not to get injured in games that dojn't count", but really, this guy has been terrible to watch in these first two games. Another guy that has to be better then he has played so far is J. Johnson. Sorry, but this guy should be in danger of not making the team for his play so far this preseason. This defense better show us some form of aggressiveness in the next preseason game, you know, "the one that is a tune-up for the regular season". They have made a couple of plays this year, but in total, the first team defense has not looked good in many aspects. I am a firm believer that you can't just turn it on and if you recall last years start to the season, this team looked terrible at the beginning of the year, especially it's vaunted defense.

It's fine to have an experienced group, years playing together, yada yada, but I am really hoping that the staff unleashes these guys and they show up with an attitude that this is not touch football we are playing, because what I am seeing out of the first team defense is teams marching right down the field and not a lot of resistance.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket, but I am very disappointed in what I have seen so far from the first team defense, watch the film, it doesn't lie!
Post #: 6539
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 7:12:28 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

quote:

“No words”

Which has to make you think there is more to this than just his play. Over the past couple of seasons, everyone has loved Sloter, he's shown the type of aggressiveness we all want to see and quite honestly reminds some of us of a guy from the early days that just seem to will the team to win.

But you have to look at our coaching staff for a second. Take out Zim, the rest of the guys you have are pretty solid offensive minds with years of experience. They see this kid every day, listen to him talk, watch him prepare, see his reactions to coaching, etc., etc.. I would have to think that every team in the NFL is trying to put the best guys on their team to win a championship, these guys are no different. There is something they haven't seen from him that is holding him back, it's obviously not what he has done in the preseason, so I just bow to the guys that are in a better position than I to make these decisions. I like Sloter, but I don't know Sloter.
Post #: 6540
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 7:16:47 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Coverage and pass rush have been highly disappointing.

But we all know the preseason mantra “ vanilla... don’t give away too much...

So it is what it is..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6541
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 7:28:59 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

So it is what it is..

Yea I know Dan, but what really bothers me more than anything is our effort against the run. It really doesn't matter about vanilla when it comes to smash mouth defense against the run, we look out of position in our run fits and out matched in the trenches. The second team is playing much better than the first team in these areas, again, I know it is preseason, but I'm just say'in, I hated the terrible play of the defense at the beginning of last year and I don't want to see that type of start this year, they have work to do!
Post #: 6542
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 8:00:26 PM   
Steve Lentz

Deleted.

< Message edited by Steve Lentz -- 8/19/2019 8:01:54 PM >

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 6543
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 8:01:14 PM   
Steve Lentz

deleted

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 6544
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 8:31:45 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

The good thing about watching a recorded game is being able to run a play over and over so that you can focus on groups of players and how they interact together.

I am sure to take some heat for saying this and let me begin by saying that some players often go "lite" in the preseason, but there are a couple of guys that stick out. First, Kendricks, I'm sorry, I know everyone loves the guy and I am really hoping that he is just playing "not to get injured in games that dojn't count", but really, this guy has been terrible to watch in these first two games. Another guy that has to be better then he has played so far is J. Johnson. Sorry, but this guy should be in danger of not making the team for his play so far this preseason. This defense better show us some form of aggressiveness in the next preseason game, you know, "the one that is a tune-up for the regular season". They have made a couple of plays this year, but in total, the first team defense has not looked good in many aspects. I am a firm believer that you can't just turn it on and if you recall last years start to the season, this team looked terrible at the beginning of the year, especially it's vaunted defense.

It's fine to have an experienced group, years playing together, yada yada, but I am really hoping that the staff unleashes these guys and they show up with an attitude that this is not touch football we are playing, because what I am seeing out of the first team defense is teams marching right down the field and not a lot of resistance.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket, but I am very disappointed in what I have seen so far from the first team defense, watch the film, it doesn't lie!

I thought Kendricks was really good in 2017.
Then, I thought Kendricks had a pretty down year in 2018... and I have no idea why. Then again the whole defense was not as good.

But it's concerning... Griff, Kendricks and Rhodes have to be playing at a high level for this defense to be dominate.
Post #: 6545
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 8:31:56 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

So it is what it is..

Yea I know Dan, but what really bothers me more than anything is our effort against the run. It really doesn't matter about vanilla when it comes to smash mouth defense against the run, we look out of position in our run fits and out matched in the trenches. The second team is playing much better than the first team in these areas, again, I know it is preseason, but I'm just say'in, I hated the terrible play of the defense at the beginning of last year and I don't want to see that type of start this year, they have work to do!

Hopefully we're not still starting our backups when the real games start.
Post #: 6546
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 8:34:38 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

“No words”

Which has to make you think there is more to this than just his play. Over the past couple of seasons, everyone has loved Sloter, he's shown the type of aggressiveness we all want to see and quite honestly reminds some of us of a guy from the early days that just seem to will the team to win.

But you have to look at our coaching staff for a second. Take out Zim, the rest of the guys you have are pretty solid offensive minds with years of experience. They see this kid every day, listen to him talk, watch him prepare, see his reactions to coaching, etc., etc.. I would have to think that every team in the NFL is trying to put the best guys on their team to win a championship, these guys are no different. There is something they haven't seen from him that is holding him back, it's obviously not what he has done in the preseason, so I just bow to the guys that are in a better position than I to make these decisions. I like Sloter, but I don't know Sloter.

On the surface everything you say is reasonable and sensible.

But this is the same coaching regime that wouldn't put Diggs on the field with a horrible receiving corp until injuries forced them too.
And he tore up an elite Denver defense in his first game (I believe... memory could unreliable... but pretty sure that is right)
So I have some trepidation when it comes to sitting a guy who tears it up in preseason consistently for a guy who looks mediocre at best every time I've seen him play.
Post #: 6547
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 8:35:51 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Frankly, I doubt that Zimmer is making the call on this one.
Post #: 6548
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 8:44:54 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Frankly, I doubt that Zimmer is making the call on this one.

You're probably correct. I don't expect him to steal the starting job just yet. I'm just hopeful that someone can at least see hes much better than frickin Mannion. It's really not even close.
Post #: 6549
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/19/2019 9:27:32 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

“No words”

On the surface everything you say is reasonable and sensible.

But this is the same coaching regime that wouldn't put Diggs on the field with a horrible receiving corp until injuries forced them too.
And he tore up an elite Denver defense in his first game (I believe... memory could unreliable... but pretty sure that is right)
So I have some trepidation when it comes to sitting a guy who tears it up in preseason consistently for a guy who looks mediocre at best every time I've seen him play.

It's hardly the same coaching regime, certainly not the coaches that would be calling the shots on this.

I also don't remember people on these threads screaming for Diggs before he got his opportunity.
Post #: 6550
Page:   <<   < prev  260 261 [262] 263 264   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  260 261 [262] 263 264   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode