Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  294 295 [296] 297 298   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 7:41:20 AM   
Ian Joseph

Not worried about the extra TE or CB. Brandon Dillom is in David Morgan's spot. So, there is that.

Epps/Boyd are insurance for Hughes. When hes back, one of them is gone.

I know we aren't going into the season with 4 WRs, so I expect a 5th one added today.

Thought Blasingame did enough. I guess Abdullah is the KR, for now.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 7376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 7:57:07 AM   
osure

I normally like Zimmer but I really feel sloter has the X factor. Most things you can coach but you can coach that. It just looks like if you coached him to equal reads and coaching stuff he would beat cousins.

So the really question is why do all coaches mn and Denver keep throwing this guy out.
Post #: 7377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:08:00 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

So when do cut players start getting picked up?

Today.

Waivers and Practice Squad Rules and Eligibility 101

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/8/31/20842944/nfl-waivers-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-minnesota-vikings
Post #: 7378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:11:48 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Currently not crazy about Abdullah over Blasingame, but not apoplectic either.

I'm depressed about it. I might be suicidal if he gets plucked by another team. Kidding only a bit.

Don't let the fact that a team NOT in rebuilding mode seen 10/12 rookies make the team, and kept 1 UDFA. Feels like that has to be unprecedented. Is that being celebrated here? No. Just hand wringing over the one or two fringe guys that got away.
Post #: 7379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:14:45 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

ugghhh... i'm sick of being so negative...

Cool. That's a good start in your recovery process!
Post #: 7380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:15:22 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Can we claim a player that we cut yesterday off waivers?....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:16:08 AM  1 votes
Todd M

Man I want nothing more than to see our fat, hasn't figured it out coach take this team to the top this year with a run and stop the run philosophy stocked with roster full of mistakes by our GM led by a QB that held us back both with his play and his salary.
Post #: 7382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:21:50 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Currently not crazy about Abdullah over Blasingame, but not apoplectic either.

I'm depressed about it. I might be suicidal if he gets plucked by another team. Kidding only a bit.

Don't let the fact that a team NOT in rebuilding mode seen 10/12 rookies make the team, and kept 1 UDFA. Feels like that has to be unprecedented. Is that being celebrated here? No. Just hand wringing over the one or two fringe guys that got away.

Very interesting point.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 7383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:24:33 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Can we claim a player that we cut yesterday off waivers?....

No. They have to first pass through for everyone else.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 7384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:27:37 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

4 TEs.
4 WRs.

Looks like we are going against the grain and will be all about running the ball, screw decades of rule changes favoring the pass

The new 64 Mustang will be unveiled at halftime of week 8.

Good one

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:36:20 AM   
Bill Jandro

Me think Brandon Dillon would be easier to pass through Waivers than Blasingame

Pretty odd mixture of a roster

Post #: 7386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:48:55 AM   
Bill Jandro

I question why Spielman brought in Vedvik. In no way shape or form would Zim keep a rookie kicker after the Carlson debacle.

And Wile did not need to be replaced.

Post #: 7387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:01:19 AM   
Bill Jandro

One additional point on the Mark Fields trade: The 7th-round pick is based on Fields being on the Vikings' roster for an agreed-upon number of games, per a source. If Fields isn't on the roster long, in other words, the deal wouldn't cost the Vikings anything.

per Ben Goessling

Post #: 7388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:07:00 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I question why Spielman brought in Vedvik. In no way shape or form would Zim keep a rookie kicker after the Carlson debacle.

As positive as I am about everything this is a real head scratcher. A move that really isn't us and a really poor one at that.
Post #: 7389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:18:56 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Fed Vic is not a rookie
Post #: 7390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:39:36 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Not worried about the extra TE or CB. Brandon Dillom is in David Morgan's spot. So, there is that.

I know we aren't going into the season with 4 WRs, so I expect a 5th one added today.

If they are expecting David Morgan back anytime soon, doesn't seem like we need 4 TEs until then, should have just kept Blasingame. I also would have kept Sloter in lieu of one of the DTs Jalxxx. 6 DTs to man 2 positions? And DTs are not typically your prime ST contributors.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 9/1/2019 9:43:18 AM >
Post #: 7391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:40:16 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Fed Vic is not a rookie

Maybe not technically. But he is yet to kick in an NFL game that matters.

Post #: 7392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:43:05 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

If they are expecting David Morgan back anytime soon, doesn't seem like we need 4 TEs until then, should have just kept Blasingame. I also would have kept Sloter in lieu of one of the DTs Jalxxx.

I mentioned this before, but I think it's an underrated point. I believe they kept the fourth tight end because he is the one tight that is superior with the blocking. They need someone to play the role of Morgan when he's out.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 7393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:46:48 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

If they are expecting David Morgan back anytime soon, doesn't seem like we need 4 TEs until then, should have just kept Blasingame. I also would have kept Sloter in lieu of one of the DTs Jalxxx.

I mentioned this before, but I think it's an underrated point. I believe they kept the fourth tight end because he is the one tight that is superior with the blocking. They need someone to play the role of Morgan when he's out.

What does Tyler Conklin provide?
Post #: 7394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:48:37 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Which position group for the Vikings still needs to be supplemented? Receivers probably. Anything else? Another corner? I think for the most part we are set.

Weren't there rumors that we liked Doctson in the Treadwell draft?

We liked Treadwell too.
Post #: 7395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:49:20 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

If they are expecting David Morgan back anytime soon, doesn't seem like we need 4 TEs until then, should have just kept Blasingame. I also would have kept Sloter in lieu of one of the DTs Jalxxx. 6 DTs to man 2 positions? And DTs are not typically your prime ST contributors.

These are good points.
Post #: 7396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:54:54 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

The first part of things is the waiver process, which will be completed by noon Central time on Sunday. Whenever a team releases a player with less than four seasons of NFL experience, they are subject to the waiver process. Players with four or more seasons in the NFL that are released automatically become free agents and can sign with any other team immediately.

The order of priority for these waiver claims currently mirrors the first-round selection order for the 2019 NFL Draft, as it’s based on records from last season. (It stays that way until after Week 3, when 2019 records start being used.) By that measure, the Vikings sit at #18 on the priority list. So, if they put in a waiver claim on a player, they need to keep their fingers crossed and hope that none of the 17 teams in front of them try to claim the same player. If they do, the Vikings are out of luck.

After waiver claims have been processed, teams can start assembling their practice squads. Practice squads generally consist of younger players that teams feel can, eventually, contribute, but could use some more seasoning and development with an NFL coaching staff.

Per the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement, the minimum salary for a practice squad player is $7,600/week, which works out to just under $130,000 for a full 17-game season. Teams can pay practice squad players more than the minimum (in an effort to keep them from getting “poached” by another team), but that’s the minimum...daily norseman

Is it just 1 round of waiver claims?
Post #: 7397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:57:25 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

What am I going to have to look this up my damn self?

delete ... so much for a good joke

I thought it was funny. One of those ba dum bum moments
Post #: 7398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 10:25:31 AM   
thebigo

Even bigger to me than not keeping Sloter on the 53 man roster, is the reality that if Cousins gets hurt, Mannion is the only game in town. I'm in agreement that this whole Sloter Mannion thing has been handled in a very Childress-esque manner by Zimmer.
Post #: 7399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 10:27:30 AM   
kwheats

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

What am I going to have to look this up my damn self?

delete ... so much for a good joke

I thought it was funny. One of those ba dum bum moments

Now that the Minnesota Vikings (and 31 other NFL teams that don’t matter as much) have all set their 53-man rosters, there is still a lot of work to be done between now and the start of the regular season as far as player movement is concerned. Here’s what we can expect over the course of the next couple of days.

Waiver Claims

The first part of things is the waiver process, which will be completed by noon Central time on Sunday. Whenever a team releases a player with less than four seasons of NFL experience, they are subject to the waiver process. Players with four or more seasons in the NFL that are released automatically become free agents and can sign with any other team immediately.

The order of priority for these waiver claims currently mirrors the first-round selection order for the 2019 NFL Draft, as it’s based on records from last season. (It stays that way until after Week 3, when 2019 records start being used.) By that measure, the Vikings sit at #18 on the priority list. So, if they put in a waiver claim on a player, they need to keep their fingers crossed and hope that none of the 17 teams in front of them try to claim the same player. If they do, the Vikings are out of luck.

These waivers also don’t reset just because a team claims a player. The Arizona Cardinals, by virtue of being the worst team in the NFL last year, are #1 on the waiver priority list, which means they can claim all the players they want if they’re willing to cut their own players to accommodate them. We’ll have to see who the Vikings put claims in on.

Once the waiver process is over with, the real fun starts.

Practice Squad

After waiver claims have been processed, teams can start assembling their practice squads. Practice squads generally consist of younger players that teams feel can, eventually, contribute, but could use some more seasoning and development with an NFL coaching staff.

Here are some of the basics of the practice squad:
•Practice squads can consist of up to ten players.
•A handful of NFL teams are allowed to have an 11th “international” player, whose primary residence is outside of the United States. The Vikings are not one of those teams this season. . .if they were, you’d know. . .but it’s something to keep in mind for the future.
•Practice squad players are free to sign with any NFL team, provided that they are placed on that team’s 53-man roster. A player can’t just jump from one team’s practice squad to another team’s practice squad. They must be released by their original team and subjected to waivers first.
•If a team does sign a player from a practice squad, that player is guaranteed three weeks of active NFL pay, even if the team releases them after one game.
•One signing restriction is that a player can’t jump from one team’s practice squad to the roster of that team’s upcoming opponent, unless they do so during a bye week or at least six days before the contest between those two teams.
•Per the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement, the minimum salary for a practice squad player is $7,600/week, which works out to just under $130,000 for a full 17-game season. Teams can pay practice squad players more than the minimum (in an effort to keep them from getting “poached” by another team), but that’s the minimum.

So, how do you know if a player is eligible for the practice squad?
•A player may only serve two seasons on a practice squad. An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the team by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.
•A practice squad player needs to have less than one accrued season of NFL experience. An accrued NFL season is considered six games, but players with one accrued season who were active for less than nine games regular-season games would be practice squad eligible.
•A player is deemed to have served a full practice squad season if he is on a team’s practice for at least six weeks.
•Up to four of the 10 players can have two accrued seasons. A player can spend no more than three seasons on a practice squad.

As we did with the 53-man roster, we’ll be keeping our eyes on what the Vikings are doing as far as both waiver claims and the practice squad are concerned.

Thanks to everyone that’s gotten their roster news this weekend right here at The Daily Norseman! We’ve tried to get you all the news in the most expedient manner possible, and we’re glad that you’ve trusted us to bring you the latest happenings with our favorite team.

Sponsored Content
Post #: 7400
Page:   <<   < prev  294 295 [296] 297 298   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  294 295 [296] 297 298   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode