Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  298 299 [300] 301 302   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 6:33:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Sloter unclaimed. Maybe we dont know as much as we thought.

He will get scooped up at some point but not as a #2 like many in here swear by.

There are three teams out there with one healthy QB on the roster, including Seattle (who saw Sloter first hand two weeks ago) and Denver (that already had him on their roster) – that didn't claim him.

I think we have all been mesmerized by him in comparison to what else is here, not to a level-headed QB standard.

So you're saying NFL teams consider Sloter to be a bottom feeder, in comparison to what else is here?
Post #: 7476
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 6:37:16 PM   
thebigo

Sloter to Cards practice squad.
Post #: 7477
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 6:44:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I understand Colquit is a very experienced holder. I believe a lot of what has happened is a result of our placekicker not really liking Wile as a holder.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 7478
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 6:44:31 PM   
Ricky J

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 9/1/2019 8:43:54 PM >
Post #: 7479
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 6:45:03 PM   
thebigo

I'm hopeful for Blasingame, that he can bring an equal set of blocking skills vs Ham and an extra set of "skill position" skills that actually would provide a threat that opposing defenses would have to consider.
Post #: 7480
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 6:50:23 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Our practice squad is complete now with one more player who the Vikings got to see in action directly in their last preseason game. In fact, he was perfect in the preseason. (3 for 3)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/1/20844011/minnesota-vikings-final-practice-squad-spot-chase-mclaughlin-buffalo-bills

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 7481
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 6:58:16 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Our practice squad is complete now with one more player who the Vikings got to see in action directly in their last preseason game. In fact, he was perfect in the preseason. (3 for 3)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/1/20844011/minnesota-vikings-final-practice-squad-spot-chase-mclaughlin-buffalo-bills

Wow. Has there ever been a team who spent so much effort screwing around with the special teams unit, only to end up sucking worse than when they started screwing around?
Post #: 7482
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 7:03:17 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

I'm hopeful for Blasingame, that he can bring an equal set of blocking skills vs Ham and an extra set of "skill position" skills that actually would provide a threat that opposing defenses would have to consider.

The coaches have confidence in CJ. But Blasingame is more athletic and versatile. Maybe he will build confidence in his game while he is shelved (and hopefully not signed by another team).
Post #: 7483
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 7:12:53 PM   
Ian Joseph

Most teams arent using FBs. Blasingame is not in danger of being poached, unless someone gets hurt.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 7484
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 7:14:48 PM   
thebigo

Anyway. I guess with Sloter signed with Zona, that is one less load off of Zimmers mind.
Post #: 7485
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 7:16:10 PM   
thebigo

Or is that "one more load off of Zimmers mind."?
Post #: 7486
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 7:17:16 PM   
thebigo

Or is that "one less load on Zimmers mind."?
Post #: 7487
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 7:18:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Most teams aren't using FBs. Blasingame is not in danger of being poached, unless someone gets hurt.

Good point.
Post #: 7488
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 7:39:38 PM   
Dana Turner

It's been interesting to see how the roster has shaped out. I was a little surprised at 4 WR's, but then again, I think they have a lot of versatility with Smith, so I can see him being the 5th guy in a lot of scenarios. I'm not a big fan of Abdullah and actually thought that Hegotgame would have been a better choice for versatility purposes, but at least we were able to get him on the practice squad, so it will be fun to watch this guy grow.

Not surprised to see Sloter go, he was becoming a distraction and really, was just another guy. This of course is my opinion, but I have seen many young QB's look good in preseasons but never amount to much. This kid might be a starter some day, but John Elway and the Broncos along with a pretty sharp Offensive staff at Minnesota didn't think enough of him to keep him in house, so I will just let the people that were around him every day make those decisions.

Boyd and Fields now will battle for a spot when Hall gets reinstated. One of them will stick and the other might find the PS. I'm a little concerned about CB depth, but we will see. Rhodes just gets dinged up so much and if the way he played in the preseason is any indication of what is coming this year from him, I'm a little worried, he wasn't very good. But then again, there were a couple of guys that played very disinterested football during the preseason, so maybe it was just "playing not to get hurt" type stuff.

Really, this team will go as far as Cousins takes them. He's the one that needs to prove that he's more than a stat guy. So far, he's only been able to compete against the teams at the bottom of their divisions, he has to take the next step. Personally, I don't see any indication that he has the mental strength to be capable of doing this, but I can certainly be proven wrong and would love him to do just that.

Finally, we need Zimmer to also prove he can play chess with the really good coaches in the league. He's got a big enough sample size now for many to be concerned about his ability to get teams ready to play. We have a talented roster, I don't think Rick gets the credit he deserves for this, but it's up to the coaching staff to get guys ready to play and Zimmer has spit the bit on numerous occasions, he must prove he is capable of growth, otherwise, we are watching his last season as a head coach in Minnesota and rightfully so. The really good coaches understand the mental part of the game, tendencies, situations, momentum, moral, Zimmer doesn't seem to have that depth, at least not yet, hopefully he can learn to understand the reason the great ones are great is because they never stop learning. We'll see.

I like the new offense, the defense should be solid, I haven't seen our special teams be special yet, but there was a lot of moving pieces during the preseason, so we can see them take shape now. I hope they are better than we have seen so far! Let the season begin, skol Vikings!

< Message edited by Dana Turner -- 9/1/2019 7:44:03 PM >
Post #: 7489
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:11:30 PM   
Ian Joseph

Dude on twitter said the Vikes are currently projected to have 11 draft picks, including FIVE 7th rounders.

Weeeeeeeee!

Believe.
Post #: 7490
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:15:29 PM   
stfrank

quote:

Dude on twitter said the Vikes are currently projected to have 11 draft picks, including FIVE 7th rounders.

Weeeeeeeee!

That means we can draft a couple more kickers next year!
Post #: 7491
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:17:55 PM   
Ian Joseph

Whatever.. Trader Rick will be playing with his nipples during draft weekend.

Believe.
Post #: 7492
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:32:41 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Most teams arent using FBs. Blasingame is not in danger of being poached, unless someone gets hurt.

The team could put him on our own 53 man roster instead, couldn't they?

Post #: 7493
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:56:06 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Sloter unclaimed. Maybe we dont know as much as we thought.

He will get scooped up at some point but not as a #2 like many in here swear by.

There are three teams out there with one healthy QB on the roster, including Seattle (who saw Sloter first hand two weeks ago) and Denver (that already had him on their roster) – that didn't claim him.

I think we have all been mesmerized by him in comparison to what else is here, not to a level-headed QB standard.

So you're saying NFL teams consider Sloter to be a bottom feeder, in comparison to what else is here?

No ... what I was trying to say is that our back-up QB standard is so typically low, that someone playing well has our expectations inflated beyond what they should be (against third teamers).

Or something like that.
Post #: 7494
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 8:56:57 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

The team could put him on our own 53 man roster instead, couldn't they?

Theoretically, yes.

Believe.
Post #: 7495
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:11:35 PM   
quote:

Anyway. I guess with Sloter signed with Zona, that is one less load off of Zimmers mind.

I’d guess that load would come back full force if (football gawds forbid) we had to play Sean Mannion for any significant length of time.
  Post #: 7496
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:25:37 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

Wow. Has there ever been a team who spent so much effort screwing around with the special teams unit, only to end up sucking worse than when they started screwing around?

Maybe we should have slowed down trying to fix things. How do you know we will suck worse? Is that your prediction this season for our special teams unit?
Post #: 7497
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:32:47 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

It's been interesting to see how the roster has shaped out. I was a little surprised at 4 WR's, but then again, I think they have a lot of versatility with Smith, so I can see him being the 5th guy in a lot of scenarios. I'm not a big fan of Abdullah and actually thought that Hegotgame would have been a better choice for versatility purposes, but at least we were able to get him on the practice squad, so it will be fun to watch this guy grow.

Not surprised to see Sloter go, he was becoming a distraction and really, was just another guy. This of course is my opinion, but I have seen many young QB's look good in preseasons but never amount to much. This kid might be a starter some day, but John Elway and the Broncos along with a pretty sharp Offensive staff at Minnesota didn't think enough of him to keep him in house, so I will just let the people that were around him every day make those decisions.

Boyd and Fields now will battle for a spot when Hall gets reinstated. One of them will stick and the other might find the PS. I'm a little concerned about CB depth, but we will see. Rhodes just gets dinged up so much and if the way he played in the preseason is any indication of what is coming this year from him, I'm a little worried, he wasn't very good. But then again, there were a couple of guys that played very disinterested football during the preseason, so maybe it was just "playing not to get hurt" type stuff.

Really, this team will go as far as Cousins takes them. He's the one that needs to prove that he's more than a stat guy. So far, he's only been able to compete against the teams at the bottom of their divisions, he has to take the next step. Personally, I don't see any indication that he has the mental strength to be capable of doing this, but I can certainly be proven wrong and would love him to do just that.

Finally, we need Zimmer to also prove he can play chess with the really good coaches in the league. He's got a big enough sample size now for many to be concerned about his ability to get teams ready to play. We have a talented roster, I don't think Rick gets the credit he deserves for this, but it's up to the coaching staff to get guys ready to play and Zimmer has spit the bit on numerous occasions, he must prove he is capable of growth, otherwise, we are watching his last season as a head coach in Minnesota and rightfully so. The really good coaches understand the mental part of the game, tendencies, situations, momentum, moral, Zimmer doesn't seem to have that depth, at least not yet, hopefully he can learn to understand the reason the great ones are great is because they never stop learning. We'll see.

I like the new offense, the defense should be solid, I haven't seen our special teams be special yet, but there was a lot of moving pieces during the preseason, so we can see them take shape now. I hope they are better than we have seen so far! Let the season begin, skol Vikings!

Nicely articulated post, not just the points I agree with (bolded) but some I don't.
Post #: 7498
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:34:58 PM   
Tom Sykes

Chris Tomasson
‏@christomasson
27m27 minutes ago

#Vikings punter Britton Colquitt expects to be holder “That’s one of the things they told me when they were signing me is that’s a very important thing to them It’s not like ‘Hey you’re a good punter’ It was ‘We need you to help this holding situation.’ So I’m excited to do that"

Chris Tomasson
‏@christomasson
24m24 minutes ago

New punter Britton Colquitt said his agent first heard from the #Vikings late last night and the punter jumped at the opportunity. He played for Denver when the Broncos won a Super Bowl in 2015 under Gary Kubiak but said he didn't even know Kubiak was with the Vikings until today
Post #: 7499
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:36:07 PM   
quote:

Whatever.. Trader Rick will be playing with his nipples during draft weekend.

Eeeeewwwww

G rated site...
  Post #: 7500
Page:   <<   < prev  298 299 [300] 301 302   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  298 299 [300] 301 302   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode