Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 10:57:57 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

right now every game is meaningful - this is why being a sports fan is fun...the vikings have been my team for five decades and win or lose, i've always loved being a fan...if i die without them ever winning a super bowl i don't give a shit - the ride has been a gas, baby....

Agree completely. Being a fan ultimately requires one to shut off reason to greater and lesser degrees, briefly and long-term. I've made peace with where this fits in my life and enjoy the moments and then move on fairly readily.
Post #: 901
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:07:57 AM   
Pager

Hunter is tied for 2nd with sacks and has 0 FF. That's a crazy outlier. Or something for him to work on. The other guys in the top 5 in sacks have 6,4,4, and 2.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 902
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:17:46 AM   
CPAMAN

Great call Mark Anderson on the final score. The only thing you didn't predict correctly was the score by quarter.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 903
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:19:06 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Hunter is tied for 2nd with sacks and has 0 FF. That's a crazy outlier. Or something for him to work on. The other guys in the top 5 in sacks have 6,4,4, and 2.

On a side note, Aaron Donald is a freak.......
Post #: 904
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:20:44 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Damn Eagles. Vikings may need to win out.

If they cant win out I dont think they deserve it anyway

This is how I feel. If the Vikings beat Detroit away and finish with a win at home vs. the Bears, they deserve to be a wild card team. The Bears could be playing for a bye in the final game of the season. The Vikings will not want to play at Solider Field in January.

Post #: 905
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:22:25 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

I was pissed at Kendricks too on the first reply of the long run. Turns out it was the play call. Zimmer was trying to overload to one side, the side they weren't running to. Mac and Harris didn't do a great job (i think - have to see the coach's tape) on the back end.

Interesting... it may be just one of those plays where they called the right play against our defense.

Giving up 14 points every game between a long run and pick six is like being behind 0-14 before the game starts. That shit has to stop!

Post #: 906
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:25:49 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

I was pissed at Kendricks too on the first reply of the long run. Turns out it was the play call. Zimmer was trying to overload to one side, the side they weren't running to. Mac and Harris didn't do a great job (i think - have to see the coach's tape) on the back end.

Interesting... it may be just one of those plays where they called the right play against our defense.

Giving up 14 points every game between a long run and pick six is like being behind 0-14 before the game starts. That shit has to stop!

I didn't realize that a 75 yard TD run and a pick 6 was an every game occurrence.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 907
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:26:56 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't realize that a 75 yard TD run and a pick 6 was an every game occurrence.

Its wishful thinking on Mark's part.
Post #: 908
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:27:37 AM   
Ricky J

Minnesota Vikings
‏Verified account
@Vikings 26 minutes ago

The #Vikings offense was firing on all cylinders as they put up a season-high 41 points in Interim Offensive Coordinator Kevin Stefanski's first game calling plays.

Nothing like setting the bar extremely high, huh?
Post #: 909
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:29:37 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

That was exactly the kind of offensive game plan I was expecting by the Vikes. Stefanski actually worked to our strengths with lots of play action, and using Ham and Morgan to help block and add another dimension on offense. We had receivers running wide open thanks to the effectiveness of play action. Heck, there was even a Conklin sighting! Night and day from DeFillipo's "gameplan". Great debut by Stefanski. Now if Cousins would quit turning the ball over, especially for pick 6's, we might actually be able to compete in the playoffs.

I hope the Packers take that POS Flip as their new head coach. What a one track mind coach that guy is. No imagination and zero ability to devise a game based upon the strength of his players, the strengths/weaknesses of each opponent and to adjust within the game time based upon failing results.

Post #: 910
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:39:41 AM   
Ricky J

This is some good shit, Maynard. If you have Twitter, open the link and watch all the sacks!

https://twitter.com/DanielHouseNFL/status/1074707971395842048

Daniel House
‏@DanielHouseNFL
Follow Follow @DanielHouseNFL
More
The #Vikings DL absolutely dominated MIA with 9 sacks. Andre Patterson is a whisperer with all this talent. Zimmer's blitz schemes were very aggressive and he used the skill-sets of his safeties and LBs. Zone, zero blitzes, etc. Barr showed off all of his value in the game, too.
Post #: 911
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:42:47 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

This is some good shit, Maynard. If you have Twitter, open the link and watch all the sacks!

Daniel House
‏@DanielHouseNFL
More
The #Vikings DL absolutely dominated MIA with 9 sacks. Andre Patterson is a whisperer with all this talent. Zimmer's blitz schemes were very aggressive and he used the skill-sets of his safeties and LBs. Zone, zero blitzes, etc. Barr showed off all of his value in the game, too.

I would not be at all surprised if Stafford comes down with "the flu" this week.
Post #: 912
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:46:30 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Daniel House
‏@DanielHouseNFL
More

I would not be at all surprised if Stafford comes down with "the flu" this week.

That exotic Purple Flu....
Post #: 913
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:48:09 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

Daniel House
‏@DanielHouseNFL
More

K. Johnson has missed 4 games with knee injury. If he's out, double team Galloday and man up everywhere else and send the house after Stafford.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 914
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:54:57 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Daniel House
‏@DanielHouseNFL
More

I mean we're coming off a 9 sack game and we sacked Stafford 10 times the last time we played them...
Post #: 915
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 11:57:34 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Daniel House
‏@DanielHouseNFL
More

I mean we're coming off a 9 sack game and we sacked Stafford 10 times the last time we played them...

There has to be a formula where we therefor sack him 11 or 19 times........
Post #: 916
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 12:13:33 PM   
Terry Stoneberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

If we still had pennies in Canada I'd toss you 3 for that, Terry.

Thanks Todd, Let's put 'em in a piggy bank and save for the day we share a Vikings superbowl win at a sports bar somewhere.

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

Pretty much what the Seahawks said after the game. They knew what plays were coming.

Terry, win or lose on Sunday (I expect a win) please share your thoughts on the play calling after the game...I'll be curious to hear if you're able to guess the play calls in advance with Stefanski running the show.

I very rarely have time to post these days. It is enough to just read everyone else's comments when I can. But I'll take a shot at this one.

1. I couldn't guess any plays the first quarter. Stef was on fire and our guy's play was up to it.
2. Very little motion, but Cousins was on the move on nearly every play. Rollouts, bootlegs, play action...the defense didn't have a clue to where he would set his launch point. Later in the game the defense made adjustments to stop that and it took us awhile to respond.
3. Our skill players love SPACE. Cook and even Murray are nightmares in space. Maybe it was Miami's "wide 9" DL allignment but we even managed to carve out some space on inside runs, and our RBs made them pay. There appeared to be multiple plays specifically designed to get Cook the ball in space. Those were a breath of fresh air.
4. There appeared to be an adjustment in OL design. Our guys were firing out at the snap on running plays like I've not seen before. Perhaps the previous design involved some timing blocks that involved a count of hesitation at the line.
5. We appear to still be fragile emotionally. The pick 6 was a horrible read by Cousins. I'm not going to blame that one on the OC. You can't always guess right as to what the defense was going to do, so Cousins has to know to shut that play down, either by reading at the line or throwing the ball away. But it was worse that a turnover, worse than giving up 7, it was a change of momentum that affected both Defense and Offense much longer than it should have.

That's actually not surprising when you are a team that is as talented as we are, had as high expectations at the beginning as we did, and have been as unsuccessful as we have. You could feel it come over the fans and the team, here we go again. Even this board reflects that kind of loser mentality at times. Thankfully it took the team only one and a half quarters for the defense and two and a half quarters for the offense to gain their confidence back. If Stefanski is as good as the first quarter shows he may be, I expect us to develop the strength so that a disaster like a pick 6 will only knock us back for a series or two, not half the game.

Bottom line: It's way to early to anoint Stefanski, but he couldn't have done better coming out of the gate. One of the questions that is left is how will he respond when opposing DCs get a chance to analyze the tape and design a defense against him. I think a little of what we saw yesterday was a microcosm of that very thing. The Dolphins DC reacted to the first quarter and then Stefansky reacted to that. I expect a little more of his touch each week added to the gameplan. Presuming we defeat the Lions, I, for one, want to see the Bears test us at their very best. I want to know if we've struck Offensive gold, or only the fool's version.

FWIW, I'm very excited about the future. For those who say I'm setting myself up for a letdown, I say, I'm a Vikings fan, that's what we do. If we don't, then the one time when we could set ourselves up for the letdown that doesn't come, we will have missed the superbowl party because we were too busy crying in our own beer avoiding disappointment. But...to each his own.

Oh, one last thought before I go underground. Stefanski is pretty much limited to Flips plays, it's too late for our guys to learn a new batch. I can't help but wonder if we'd gone with Stef as our OC to begin with, what would our plays have looked like. I get giddy at the thought.
Post #: 917
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 12:15:45 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

So after we beat the Lions and the Seahawks lose to KC next week, the Vikings will head into week 17 needing to beat the Bears in order to secure the 5th seed and a trip to Dallas instead of Chicago. Hopefully the Rams and Saints win and ensure the Bears have nothing to play for. Either way, it’s gonna be exciting!

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 918
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 12:17:21 PM   
David Levine

Danielle Hunter, DE: Hunter had another two sacks today, made Ryan Tannehill’s life generally miserable all day, and he tied the Vikings record for most sacks in a player’s first four years. It was a record that was previously held by some guy named Alan Page, arguably the Greatest Viking Of Them All, no big deal. Also, you’re stupid if you run the ball to his side.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/12/16/18143865/minnesota-vikings-miami-dolphins-game-summary
Post #: 919
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 12:20:18 PM   
David Levine

Mackensie Alexander has had his ups-and-downs the first two seasons of his career, but he’s starting to show why he was one of the highest-graded cornerbacks in college in 2015. Alexander got his hands on a couple of passes while allowing a paltry two yards on four targets for the game.

The Viking’ pass-rush was unstoppable. Not only did they rack up nine sacks, but they pressured Ryan Tannehill on more than 50% of his dropbacks. Danielle Hunter led the way with two sacks and multiple pressures while Anthony Barr also joined in on the fun with two sacks and several pressures.

It was an efficient day for Kirk Cousins, as he often found the open receiver and completed the pass. It wasn’t flashy, as he attempted just one pass 20-plus yards downfield, but he completed it for a big-time throw and a touchdown.

This was easily the best rushing game of the season for the Vikings, as they emphasized getting Dalvin Cook going. Cook carried 19 of the team’s 38 designed runs, as he benefited from good scheming and blocking gaining ample yards before first contact after coming into the game averaging just 1.7 yards per carry.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-nfl-week-15-minnesota-vikings-41-miami-dolphins-17
Post #: 920
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 12:26:45 PM   
Ricky J

Star Tribune Sports

@StribSports
22m22 minutes ago
More
#Vikings playoff odds actually decreased with a win Sunday. How did that happen? @RandBall writes: http://strib.mn/2LmjjRl

https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/1074728021846880256
Post #: 921
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 12:29:17 PM   
Ricky J

This spike freekin' rocks by Elf

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1074369780344180736

- Cooks reaction as he's doing it is sweet, too
Post #: 922
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 1:02:15 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Danielle Hunter, DE: Hunter had another two sacks today, made Ryan Tannehill’s life generally miserable all day, and he tied the Vikings record for most sacks in a player’s first four years. It was a record that was previously held by some guy named Alan Page, arguably the Greatest Viking Of Them All, no big deal. Also, you’re stupid if you run the ball to his side.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/12/16/18143865/minnesota-vikings-miami-dolphins-game-summary

I realize this is a gross understatement, but Hunter is just a freakin monster.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 923
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 1:04:57 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Mackensie Alexander has had his ups-and-downs the first two seasons of his career, but he’s starting to show why he was one of the highest-graded cornerbacks in college in 2015. Alexander got his hands on a couple of passes while allowing a paltry two yards on four targets for the game.

Along with another blitz sack. I'm really coming around on Alexander. I really thought the guy was a lost cause, but he is proving me wrong in a big way.

I think Holton Hill is also quietly making a good impression out there.

Post #: 924
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 1:11:11 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK, maybe not both but certainly the Vikings have proven to give up a defensive TD against or a long play from scrimmage against all season long. It has been the nemesis of this season. Those are game changers. Need to eliminate that in the final regular season games and into wild card playoff round.

See, I am anticipating the playoffs.

Post #: 925
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode