Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 8:42:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sam Newton@SamNewton31
@DHunt94_TX through 14 games:

– 66 tackles
– 14.5 sacks
– 20 tackles for loss

Hunter is the first since J.J. Watt and Khalil Mack in 2015 to record at least 65 tackles, 14.0 sacks and 20 tackles for loss in a season. Watt won DPOY that season.

Hunter is a gem. He deserves recognition but it will be hard to overcome what Donald is doing.

Glad we have this guy locked up. He is nothing short of amazing.

And we had some posters that thought it was an overpay....

Looking more like a brinks job. Esp when you factor in his age (as you mentioned).

He's just a pup and if it were not for Donald he would be the front runner for defensive player of the year.

I still like your idea of moving him over the LT permanently.

Its crazy, He has 5 more years on his contract after this one - and he'll still be 2 years younger than Griffen is now when he signs the next one.

How is that?

Did he graduate early from HS. I mean not many reach the pros at 20

I know he played as a 17 year-old true freshman, and played 3 years of college.

Not bad for a kid that didn't even come to the US until he was 8 years old.

and he just turned 24 Oct 29th

That's ridiculus

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 976
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 9:16:17 PM   
joejitsu

David L. had that kid pegged when we drafted him. I didn't expect too much from Hunter at first, but he's really impressed me. And he is the rare player that has played even harder once he got the big contract. He's going to be even better next year, when he has matured a little more and worked more on the iron pile.
Post #: 977
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/17/2018 10:22:29 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

One thing that has stood out to me with Cook is that he explodes up to and through the LOS...so where another RB might be down immediately he is most likely to take at least a couple and more when he gets any breathing room. He's really grown on me since he's gotten past all the injury slow downs.

What stands out to me about Cook is his yards after contact. The guy is extremely hard to tackle. I mean he isn't throwing people off him or running people over like AD in his prime. He somehow sidesteps or changes direction so would be tacklers can't wrap him up. I did not expect him to be this good of a runner between the tackles. I like Murray but he goes down much quicker and easier than Cook. If he can stay healthy and we can get this oline back to avg or above...watch out.

He's not tall, but he's definitely not little. 5'10, 210 is solid.

Murray is probably a good 15 pounds heavier than Cook, but its also stretched out over 4-5" in height.

I think height actually works against a RB more often than not.

Murray won't be here next year. Cook will need to stay healthy. He has the tools to be in the HOF if he can. Improved OL would obviously help.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 978
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 12:58:52 AM   
ratoppenheimer

The Vikings ran the ball with increased success, but they managed to get under center and use play-action, too. When using a play-fake, Cousins completed all six of his attempts for 103 yards and a touchdown. This conveniently occurred with the quarterback under center for all of those snaps. During each of the past three seasons, Cousins finished in the top-three of the league for play-action passing. Moving him under center not only helps create more downhill movement by the linebackers, but gives Cousins a chance to sell the fake.

The Vikings used motion to set up some of these play-action looks as well. It was a stark contrast to the philosophy of former offensive coordinator John DeFilippo. He emphasized using the shotgun and didn’t get his players moving laterally in space. Under DeFilippo, the Vikings ran play-action on just 18.6 percent of dropbacks. In Stefanski’s first game calling plays, the number jumped to 32 percent. Moving forward, this is a trend that must continue....daniel house, vikings corner

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 979
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 5:02:16 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
With Carolina losing, the #Vikings will clinch a wild-card playoff berth next weekend if Washington loses on Saturday at Tennessee, the Vikings win at Detroit at noon Sunday and Philadelphia loses at home against Houston at noon Sunday.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 980
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 7:35:25 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
With Carolina losing, the #Vikings will clinch a wild-card playoff berth next weekend if Washington loses on Saturday at Tennessee, the Vikings win at Detroit at noon Sunday and Philadelphia loses at home against Houston at noon Sunday.

There's a pretty good likelihood of all that happening. It would be a huge relief. And with the pressure off we can try for the #5 spot. Man that would be a nice reward after a trying season.
Post #: 981
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 7:54:51 AM   
bstinger

quote:

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson

On the other hand, if Washington and Philly both win this week, Chicago becomes a must win for us because they play each other in week 17, one of them would finish 9-7.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 982
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 8:13:47 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

No idea if 100% accurate but read that teams are 2955-698 (80% winning) since 2000 when running 30+ times.

Might seem like an amazing stat but it's not. Teams run more when they have the lead.

Getting out front like we did is so important.

Stefanski passed the acid test for me with that well scripted 1st drive. Then they did it 2 more time before the 1st qtr expired!

That one thing I kept forgetting to bring up
The scripted first drives were no longer producing ANYTHING under DeFlip.
Tells you something.
Once defenses are ON to you, you're done, as an OC.
A lot of our disappointment started weekly, when our first Offensive drives were shit. 3 and outs.
That rarely happens to good teams.
Post #: 983
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 8:21:46 AM   
SoMnFan

Feels to me like Philly wins out.
They were back to juggernaut status Monday night.
Post #: 984
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 9:32:25 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Feels to me like Philly wins out.
They were back to juggernaut status Monday night.

That's because you're a Wentz nut hugger. Anything to do with North Dakota.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 985
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 10:15:36 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson

On the other hand, if Washington and Philly both win this week, Chicago becomes a must win for us because they play each other in week 17, one of them would finish 9-7.

I believe if we win out we are in.

If we don't we will need help.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 986
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 10:19:22 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Viking.com videos

Question: Do you expect to see more runs?

Matt Birk: ... maybe a couple more but you are who you are. This team is at it's best when you throw to set up the run.

Zim's coaching record with running (I'm sure many of you have seen it but here it is anyway):

20+ runs a game, record is 45-14
-20 runs a game, 0-16-1

The old "why run and try to win 13-10 in this new age NFL?" will come up.

When actually if we run well we can play action and get medium to deep shots with passing game.

Vikes 41 Dolphins 17

This is really quite amazing Mark!

Not surprising some dipsticks can’t see the forest through the trees. (And don’t want to)

I kind of figured our talent advantage, and their walk off win let down would lead to at least a win, but shit man, right on the button.. wow!

Hey we either gain some serious momentum from this, or we go into Detoilet and once again under achieve..

Optimism may be in short supply, but that is what I envisioned when I thought about our offense in the summer.

The Defense has found its often dominant self, thus making us competitive again even if our Offense became disfunctional.

Even the Cousins haters cannot doubt the TD pass to Robinson when we were stagnant.

DLine in general and Barr re-emergence has been nice to see.

Every game I see Holton Hill play, I'm thinking that we won't be re-signing Waynes.

Stills, Parker and Amendola is a nice trio and we probably had 3-4 coverage sacks out of the 9 total. That must mean that Rhodes is healthy and Smith and Harris are playing at a high level.

Only thing missing is the old Everson Griffen. Just seems less explosive.
Post #: 987
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 10:30:30 AM   
David F.

quote:

Every game I see Holton Hill play, I'm thinking that we won't be re-signing Waynes.

Waynes is OK but do we really need Rhodes, Hughes, Waynes, Alexander, and Hill? Nope. We sure don't. Waynes can go and we can draft another CB just NOT in rounds one or two.

Rhodes
Hughes
Hill
Alexander
Rookie/low-tier FA

That's plenty good.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 988
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 10:39:42 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Waynes is OK but do we really need Rhodes, Hughes, Waynes, Alexander, and Hill? Nope. We sure don't. Waynes can go and we can draft another CB just NOT in rounds one or two.

Rhodes
Hughes
Hill
Alexander
Rookie/low-tier FA

That's plenty good.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but if you go by PFF rankings (grain of salt, I know) Waynes is actuallyout performing Rhodes.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 989
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 10:41:24 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Rhodes
Hughes
Hill
Alexander
Rookie/low-tier FA

That's plenty good.

Alexander has really stepped it up the last month or so.

Also, Waynes money transferred to OLine.
Post #: 990
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 10:43:54 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Rhodes
Hughes
Hill
Alexander
Rookie/low-tier FA

That's plenty good.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but if you go by PFF rankings (grain of salt, I know) Waynes is actuallyout performing Rhodes.

Rhodes has been nicked up all year it seems. His only real downfall, injuries.
Post #: 991
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 10:46:48 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

This spike freekin' rocks by Elf

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1074369780344180736

- Cooks reaction as he's doing it is sweet, too

Diggs at the bottom helping add some emphasis to the spike is nice to see to..

I slept thru that part of the game..

Reasons are not important..

Great win..

Keep winning, because next lose is the beginning of off season bitch fest..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 992
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 10:49:58 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Rhodes
Hughes
Hill
Alexander
Rookie/low-tier FA

That's plenty good.

Right.

I just don't think its smart value to pay Waynes what he's going to get when we have cheaper options.
Post #: 993
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 11:14:02 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rhodes
Hughes
Hill
Alexander
Rookie/low-tier FA

That's plenty good.

Right.

I just don't think its smart value to pay Waynes what he's going to get when we have cheaper options.

What do you anticipate Waynes will cost?

Post #: 994
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 11:14:15 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rhodes
Hughes
Hill
Alexander
Rookie/low-tier FA

That's plenty good.

Rhodes is already signed though.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 995
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 11:24:09 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rhodes
Hughes
Hill
Alexander
Rookie/low-tier FA

That's plenty good.

Rhodes is already signed though.

Yep. And he represents a huge amount of dead money if he is cut before June 1. After June 1, the dead money drops to about 2 and a half million if he were to be traded for ... oh, say an offensive lineman. That's why I am curious as to what Waynes stands to make on an extension.

Post #: 996
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 11:39:40 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rhodes
Hughes
Hill
Alexander
Rookie/low-tier FA

That's plenty good.

Right.

What do you anticipate Waynes will cost?

He makes 9M this year.

That number *might* be a bit inflated as its his 4th year option, but there are 20 CBs averaging at least 9M/year and that number will likely rise next year.

So, he'll probably be in the 8-10M/year range would be my guess.

And PFF has always been down on Rhodes. There must be something he does that breaks their system. They had him ranked the #15 CB coming into this year - and that's coming off a year that he was named 1st team All-Pro.

Waynes is much improved, but Rhodes is WAY better.
Post #: 997
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 11:48:08 AM   
Ricky J

Leber liked

Nick Olson

@NicholasJOlson

Pat Shurmur's first TD in 2017: Hurry up offense, trips right, play action boot, RG pulls, flood concept, Diggs wide open for the TD
Kevin Stefanski's first TD in 2018: Hurry up offense, trips right, play action boot, RG pulls, flood concept, Diggs wide open for the TD
Post #: 998
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 11:48:38 AM   
TJSweens

I'll call Rhodes better, but not WAY better. PFF underrates him, but first team All-Pro was a bit generous IMO. Rhodes and Waynes are both cover corners who are good at coverage, challenging the run, breaking up passes and a little weak at intercepting the ball.

Post #: 999
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2018 12:02:18 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I'll call Rhodes better, but not WAY better. PFF underrates him, but first team All-Pro was a bit generous IMO. Rhodes and Waynes are both cover corners who are good at coverage, challenging the run, breaking up passes and a little weak at intercepting the ball.

I think Waynes gets beat more often, but has enough speed to compensate most times. He still isn't great at locating the ball.

Mostly I don't think Waynes prevents throws like Rhodes does. And Rhodes is much more often tasked with defending the opponent's best WR.

I think he's significantly better. He's a legit #1 CB that many had as the best CB in the league last year. Waynes is a solid #2 CB.
Post #: 1000
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode