Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:20:21 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

I wonder if Working with a stubborn, meddling HC who is a lame duck final year guy would inhibit interests or would the future OC candidate see a chance to turn around head case but very talented Cousins and have a shot at being next HC himself?

Yes, if we bring in Machiavelli.

Otherwise, whatever OC comes in here will look forward to having a very good QB, very good skill players at WR, and RB ... and a top notch defense.

Cousins is a coach killer...

Ask John DeFilippo... he went from short list young phenom up and coming HC candidate to unemployed head scratched in matter of a month while Cousins melted down with the HC demanding more runs.,,..

No matter, the next OC better be strong on the run and push for a good OL coach hire and upgrade of the OL or he will be leaving with Zimm and Company at end of year...

Prior to signing with Minnesota this season, Cousins had a 4-11-1 record during matchups in which he finished with 40 pass attempts or more. Yet for some reason in 2018, the Vikings quarterback had seven games with at least 40 pass attempts with DeFilippo calling the plays (which Minnesota came out as a winner in just one of these specific matchups).
Post #: 2051
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:22:31 PM   
David Levine

So DeFilippo is a Cousins killer?
Post #: 2052
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:29:14 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Sure it can absolutely go both ways!

JD was a bad match since never adapted his schemes to the QB that was chosen to be plugged into his system, he even signed off on the move at time when he should have known Cousins skill sets didnt match the type of QB best suited for his play calling.

They in a sense ruined one another in the season...

Cousins is skilled and may still prove to be a quality signal caller for the Vikes... Coaching and matches are very important... so is team chemistry and WINNING...

Cousin's legacy hinges on the next OC hire as well as it does for the OC himself...

There is still an elephant looming in the building... the one who was taping up memos to Kirk's locker and around the facility for everyone to read of Kirk's turn over stats and propensity... It in retrospect it did about as well as tearing up stuffed animals... Seems Kirk neither has big balls or a lucky horseshoe and that shit may have been more than just failed motivation from the dinosaur on this one...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 1/7/2019 10:53:37 PM >
Post #: 2053
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:34:45 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

The Vikings need to go 0-16 in 2020 so they can draft Clemson QB.
JarJar? He's a lot tougher than he looks too!

< Message edited by odin -- 1/7/2019 10:39:36 PM >
Post #: 2054
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:41:42 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

quote:

I was thinking Sunshine from remember the titans.
Post #: 2055
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:44:08 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

His teammates do call him Sunshine.
Post #: 2056
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:45:58 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

His teammates do call him Sunshine.

That's great!
Post #: 2057
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 12:30:05 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Quitter.

I could live with 0-16 after a 2019 Super Bowl season.

nm

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/8/2019 7:43:52 AM >
Post #: 2058
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 6:42:53 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: GopherFan34

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Carl Lee was a very solid CB. But Doleman, Millard, Thomas and Noga made his job a lot easier.

It was a different era. You seem to be missing the whole point of the argument.

Somebody in here catch him up. I've obviously failed to do so on three attempts.

Nobody is going to back you.

Who makes the Bears the great defense they are? Hicks and Mack or Amukamara and Fuller

Who has lead the resurgence of the Dallas defense? Lawrence and the LBs or the secondary

Philly defense goes as their DLine goes.

Bosa and Ingram top dogs for Chargers, although Safety Derwin James might be the last piece to that puzzle.

Again, just because you don't know much about the corners on those teams doesn't mean they aren't great corners. The problem with people like you is that you spend too much time listening to the announcers, who are lazy and often times just read the stat lines. With a defensive lineman, there is a tangible stat that allows for the lazy to be elevated to super star status in the eyes of the fans. With corners, they are great when you never hear their names called.

Michael Davis and Casey Hayward are both very good with the Chargers. Fuller and Amukamara blanketed Thielen and Diggs all day two weeks ago. And like I said last week, the Bears were good before Mack showed up, with Hicks being a mediocre defensive tackle before he showed up to play with the Bears. Now that he's got good corners, he's suddenly gone from relative obscurity to a pro bowler.

As for people backing me, I could care less. If everyone wants to be wrong, have at it.

Good corners are helping Hicks throw interior lineman into the legs of the QB all game long.

I get that you have to stay with your saying "Defense starts at the corners" but you are getting ridiculous.

Yes, they are. Because he has more time to do his thing. Guys aren't open.

Bears corners were able to sit on routes because their pass rush was causing early release's by the QB. Not rocket science.

It's a different game than 15 years ago fellas. If you don't have guys that can take away the 5-yard slant or 7-yard out, you are dead in 2018. The Bears defensive front has lapped up all the praise because they have good corners. Mack is Mack. He's a great player, regardless. Not rocket science.

Look no further than our game against the Bears. Without Rhodes and Hughes, we had Waynes and a virtual rookie playing. They got beat on short routes repeatedly for first downs and there was nothing our high-priced defensive linemen could do about it. Conversely, our guys were rarely open on the same routes to move the sticks.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/8/2019 6:50:21 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 2059
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 6:43:35 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Sure it can absolutely go both ways!

JD was a bad match since never adapted his schemes to the QB that was chosen to be plugged into his system, he even signed off on the move at time when he should have known Cousins skill sets didnt match the type of QB best suited for his play calling.

They in a sense ruined one another in the season...

Cousins is skilled and may still prove to be a quality signal caller for the Vikes... Coaching and matches are very important... so is team chemistry and WINNING...

Cousin's legacy hinges on the next OC hire as well as it does for the OC himself...

There is still an elephant looming in the building... the one who was taping up memos to Kirk's locker and around the facility for everyone to read of Kirk's turn over stats and propensity... It in retrospect it did about as well as tearing up stuffed animals... Seems Kirk neither has big balls or a lucky horseshoe and that shit may have been more than just failed motivation from the dinosaur on this one...

First I'm hearing of this.

link...

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2060
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 7:42:16 AM   
Ryan Buckingham

You simply can't win against a good team if your offensive line sucks. Our offensive line sucks. We can't pass protect long enough to have a vertical passing game or a productive running game. All the OC in the world will agree that the only way to win is to run the ball when needed and pass protect. If you can't pass protect you have to have a quick-hitting passing game that prioritizes the QB getting rid of the ball quickly. We don't have that, for whatever reason. Cousins holds the ball, holds the ball, and runs for his life or throws a 3 yard pass to Kyle Rudolph (who is running toward his own goal line). The quick-slants and plays designed for a quick throw get batted down because our linemen don't attack the defensive linemen and Cousins throws right into the hands of the defenders.

We're going to be a QB oriented offense, so let's match what he can do with a system that works with the talent we have. A couple of new offensive linemen will make a big difference. The Colts went from a terrible OL to a a great one with one draft. We need to do the same thing.

Improvise, overcome and adapt!
Post #: 2061
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 7:44:45 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

He, ragnor, is slightly... distorting something else to fit his agenda...

Big surprise..

https://sportsspectrum.com/sport/football/2017/09/28/redskins-qb-kirk-cousins-keeps-bible-verse-locker-reminder/

the video, Cousins pointed out a Bible Verse that he keeps taped to the side of the wall., in his locker..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 1/8/2019 7:47:29 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2062
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 8:00:17 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wonder if Working with a stubborn, meddling HC who is a lame duck final year guy would inhibit interests or would the future OC candidate see a chance to turn around head case but very talented Cousins and have a shot at being next HC himself?

Otherwise, whatever OC comes in here will look forward to having a very good QB, very good skill players at WR, and RB ... and a top notch defense.

Ask John DeFilippo... he went from short list young phenom up and coming HC candidate to unemployed head scratched in matter of a month while Cousins melted down with the HC demanding more runs.,,..

No matter, the next OC better be strong on the run and push for a good OL coach hire and upgrade of the OL or he will be leaving with Zimm and Company at end of year...

Prior to signing with Minnesota this season, Cousins had a 4-11-1 record during matchups in which he finished with 40 pass attempts or more. Yet for some reason in 2018, the Vikings quarterback had seven games with at least 40 pass attempts with DeFilippo calling the plays (which Minnesota came out as a winner in just one of these specific matchups).

Cousins was DeFilippo's guy. When you don't do what your boss tells you, you are out quickly in most situations. Cousins has limited skills. So you either design your offense to handle his limitations or you are out the door.
Post #: 2063
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 8:23:40 AM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Big surprise..

https://sportsspectrum.com/sport/football/2017/09/28/redskins-qb-kirk-cousins-keeps-bible-verse-locker-reminder/

the video, Cousins pointed out a Bible Verse that he keeps taped to the side of the wall., in his locker..

That is not at all what I am speaking of Dan...

There was several small mentions mid way though season of "someone" posting memos around the facility and on Kirks locker area of Kirks turn over stats...

no religious stuff, it was a article online I will attempt to find...
Post #: 2064
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 9:02:30 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Carl Lee was a very solid CB. But Doleman, Millard, Thomas and Noga made his job a lot easier.

It was a different era. You seem to be missing the whole point of the argument.

Somebody in here catch him up. I've obviously failed to do so on three attempts.

Nobody is going to back you.

Who makes the Bears the great defense they are? Hicks and Mack or Amukamara and Fuller

Who has lead the resurgence of the Dallas defense? Lawrence and the LBs or the secondary

Philly defense goes as their DLine goes.

Bosa and Ingram top dogs for Chargers, although Safety Derwin James might be the last piece to that puzzle.

Again, just because you don't know much about the corners on those teams doesn't mean they aren't great corners. The problem with people like you is that you spend too much time listening to the announcers, who are lazy and often times just read the stat lines. With a defensive lineman, there is a tangible stat that allows for the lazy to be elevated to super star status in the eyes of the fans. With corners, they are great when you never hear their names called.

Michael Davis and Casey Hayward are both very good with the Chargers. Fuller and Amukamara blanketed Thielen and Diggs all day two weeks ago. And like I said last week, the Bears were good before Mack showed up, with Hicks being a mediocre defensive tackle before he showed up to play with the Bears. Now that he's got good corners, he's suddenly gone from relative obscurity to a pro bowler.

As for people backing me, I could care less. If everyone wants to be wrong, have at it.

Hicks got good when Mack got there and there were less people to block Hicks.

Not all because of the corners.

Good corners help. Mack helped a lot more.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2065
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 9:07:25 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

What the Vikings lack on defense is the ability to turn the ball over. A defense with as many sacks as we had should have more turnovers.

What they lack on offense is having a more mobile quarterback who can create plays out of nothing. That being the case, it's imperative that we fix the offensive line.

It's interesting to me that arguably the two best defenses (Ravens and Bears) lost yesterday. (at home!) Football is still a team sport, but the most important position by far is the quarterback.

A mentally tough team rises to the occasion and wins games at the end of the game and unites through adversity because they still believe they will win. There seemed to be too much internal turmoil for my blood. Even Adam Thielen was involved. On defense, another team leader, Everson Griffen, lost his composure. I hope that new team leaders can emerge. This season just feels like we were off. The energy level was not right. It was there for everyone to see.

There will be some big changes during the off-season.

The two best defenses lost because their offenses and special teams failed. Ravens D got worn out because they were on the field all day long. Bears D did everything they could to stop the Eagles and keeping any team to just 16 points is a pretty damn good day...And their offense did nothing, except put them in position to win and their kicker shanked it. Ravens O was flummoxed by 7 defensive backs and the coaches refusal to adapt to it. Put in a power running attack and bludgeoned the little DB heavy defense the Chargers were employing.

They didn't lose because of good defenses and they weren't beaten by good offenses, they did a reasonably good job of keeping the opposing offenses in check (LAC has 5 FGS and no TDs scored until the 4th Qtr).

Having a great defense got both teams to the playoffs, it was time for the coaches and Offenses to step up and win.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2066
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 9:09:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins was DeFilippo's guy. When you don't do what your boss tells you, you are out quickly in most situations. Cousins has limited skills. So you either design your offense to handle his limitations or you are out the door.

Limited skills? Cousins was Defilippo's Guy?
Zimmer and Spielman picked Cousins and Defilippo....Defilippo didn't pick Cousins. Cousins isn't limited---Defilippo didn't utilize him correctly----Winston's skills are similar to Cousins which is why Koetter makes sense.

The biggest problem for Kirk the last few games was that our most dangerous 3rd and short weapon (Beebe) was hurt. Robinson was the deep threat and Beebe was the 1st down threat as teams doubled Thielen and Diggs.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/8/2019 9:11:13 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2067
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 9:34:09 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Big surprise..

That is not at all what I am speaking of Dan...

There was several small mentions mid way though season of "someone" posting memos around the facility and on Kirks locker area of Kirks turn over stats...

no religious stuff, it was a article online I will attempt to find...

Ragnarok, the schtick is getting old. You even misremember to fit your agenda. I'm not sure what I'd like to read less, the pointless debate about CBs or PassRushers or your Cousins garbage.

What was posted: Zimmer coached teams winning record based on turnovers. It was posted and discussed right before/after the bye week. It was hung in either the QB room or some other offense meeting room.

When you posted Cousins record against winning teams you failed to post every other top 10 QB's record against winning teams (only two had winning records). Same thing with this 40 plus passes stat. What is the league average when passing more than 40 times????? I'm guessing similar. If you pass that much you are behind on the scoreboard (except Tom Brady). Which means you are going to lose.

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/8/2019 9:35:26 AM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2068
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 9:48:32 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Zimmer and Spielman picked Cousins and Defilippo....Defilippo didn't pick Cousins. Cousins isn't limited---Defilippo didn't utilize him correctly----Winston's skills are similar to Cousins which is why Koetter makes sense.

The biggest problem for Kirk the last few games was that our most dangerous 3rd and short weapon (Beebe) was hurt. Robinson was the deep threat and Beebe was the 1st down threat as teams doubled Thielen and Diggs.

Flip was hired Feb 9. Cousins signed March 15. I would be surprised if Flip didn't have a seat at the table.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2069
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 9:51:03 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Flip was hired Feb 9. Cousins signed March 15. I would be surprised if Flip didn't have a seat at the table.

If I remember right that was the first week of Free Agency. What was Flip going to say if your GM and HC want Cousins. Cousins was rumored to go to the Vikes during the Super Bowl week. Cousins was the first choice with or w/o Flip. Only way it was Keenum was if Cousins wanted to go to Arizona, NYJ, or Denver.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/8/2019 9:56:04 AM >

Post #: 2070
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 10:03:04 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Vikings knew long before they hired Flip that they were going to pursue a better QB than Case Keenum, They weren't going to keep Bradford, Keenum or Bridgewater. And the best QB on the FA market was...wait for it...Kirk Cousins. They knew long before Flip was hired that Cousins would be their top priority in FA.

The only other option was the remote possibility that Brees wouldn't sign with the Saints and they would pursue him. But everybody expected Brees to stay with the Saints. So Cousins was the guy.

Please tell me what other option the Vikings had?

Post #: 2071
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 10:10:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

Cousins was looking for houses in the area during the Super Bowl Media week....pretty much means there was mutual interest.

Post #: 2072
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 10:12:13 AM   
Ush

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ryan Buckingham

You simply can't win against a good team if your offensive line sucks. Our offensive line sucks. We can't pass protect long enough to have a vertical passing game or a productive running game. All the OC in the world will agree that the only way to win is to run the ball when needed and pass protect. If you can't pass protect you have to have a quick-hitting passing game that prioritizes the QB getting rid of the ball quickly. We don't have that, for whatever reason. Cousins holds the ball, holds the ball, and runs for his life or throws a 3 yard pass to Kyle Rudolph (who is running toward his own goal line). The quick-slants and plays designed for a quick throw get batted down because our linemen don't attack the defensive linemen and Cousins throws right into the hands of the defenders.

We're going to be a QB oriented offense, so let's match what he can do with a system that works with the talent we have. A couple of new offensive linemen will make a big difference. The Colts went from a terrible OL to a a great one with one draft. We need to do the same thing.

I would also add that you reeeeaaaallly can’t win with an offensive line that sucks PLUS a statue for a QB.
Post #: 2073
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 10:15:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ush

quote:

I would also add that you reeeeaaaallly can’t win with an offensive line that sucks PLUS a statue for a QB.

I look at what the Bears have for 3rd and 4th receivers and think Beebe was really missed against the Bears. Need that third threat and it wasn't Treadwell.

Post #: 2074
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/8/2019 10:17:42 AM   
Ush

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ush

quote:

I look at what the Bears have for 3rd and 4th receivers and think Beebe was really missed against the Bears. Need that third threat and it wasn't Treadwell.

Yes. Another area Spielman tried to address in FA last offseason but failed to find someone to take over Treadwell’s spot.
Post #: 2075
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode