Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 7:19:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Todd, wrong thread? I mean you had the afterlife thing going on the religious thread.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/10/2019 7:21:40 PM >
Post #: 2251
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 7:23:29 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Todd, wrong thread? I mean you had the afterlife thing going on the religious thread.

Maybe ill go have a peak ...
Post #: 2252
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 8:23:50 PM   
joejitsu

I think the way to go with the oline is to draft two guys ( one tackle and one guard) and sign the best fa guard we can find. O'Neill and the Elf should be good with a year to get stronger / healthier. That and some coaching, and we should be okay, IMO.
Post #: 2253
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 8:32:13 PM   
Ricky J

Either that or use every draft pick on oline ... maybe a couple UDFA, too
Post #: 2254
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 8:42:09 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

I think the way to go with the oline is to draft two guys ( one tackle and one guard) and sign the best fa guard we can find. O'Neill and the Elf should be good with a year to get stronger / healthier. That and some coaching, and we should be okay, IMO.

I’d agree with this, however the key will be doing better then we did last offseason knowing our OLine was going to be very challenged getting trucked by the Eagles DLine in the NFC championship game, then losing Berger to retirement, and going through free agency signing freakin Tom Compton.

Makes for a pretty damn desperate situation going into the draft with your big acquisition being a guard the quality of Compton...
  Post #: 2255
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 9:07:15 PM   
Pager

quote:

What does everyone think of Avainte Collins? All the reports out of training camp were positive. Uneven preseason game performances, but he was asked to play like 3 spots. I have no idea how is injury recovery is going.

I thought he had the makeup to be a future RT. Give him another season (w spot play at RT), and then Oneil LT, Avainte RT.

Agree with at least 1 or 2 players in the draft, tho I don't know there will be enough quality players for that in this draft. Our oline need is HUGE, if we can get one plug and play interior starter and one average FA guy, I'd be ok with staying closer to BPA the rest of the draft and staying true to our board.

I do not want to be the Packers wasting 3 picks on CB in back to back drafts and only have 1 or 2 pan out. Good way to gut the rest of your team.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2256
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 7:17:00 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

I’d agree with this, however the key will be doing better then we did last offseason knowing our OLine was going to be very challenged getting trucked by the Eagles DLine in the NFC championship game, then losing Berger to retirement, and going through free agency signing freakin Tom Compton.

Makes for a pretty damn desperate situation going into the draft with your big acquisition being a guard the quality of Compton...

That was a real puzzler. They also did not have a fail safe for our injured starting C. Surprised Spielman actually used one of his precious 7th rd picks trading for Jones.

Complete udder mismanagement of an extremely important unit. What is really disturbing is that this has happened nearly every season Spielman has been in charge with the exception of 2017. It took a complete oline meltdown in 2016 for it to get his attention.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2257
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 7:53:43 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

That was a real puzzler. They also did not have a fail safe for our injured starting C. Surprised Spielman actually used one of his precious 7th rd picks trading for Jones.

Complete udder mismanagement of an extremely important unit. What is really disturbing is that this has happened nearly every season Spielman has been in charge with the exception of 2017. It took a complete oline meltdown in 2016 for it to get his attention.

It wouldn't be at all surprising if Cornelius Edison would have played better than Elflein this year. It never was going to happen because Elflein was a prized draft pick.
Post #: 2258
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 1:14:50 PM   
David Levine

BREAKING NEWS: Mike Priefer will not return as Vikings Special Teams Coach

It was rumored, thought and even suggested for most of the season but now it's official. The Minnesota Vikings will be moving on in 2019 without Mike Priefer as special teams coordinator.

quote:

Ben Goessling✔@GoesslingStrib
From @markcraignfl and me: Mike Priefer will not be returning as the Vikings’ special teams coordinator in 2019.

Priefer joined the Minnesota Vikings back in 2011 and has stuck with the team as Special Teams coordinator since then.

2018 seemed to be the breaking point for the Vikings as they spent a mid-round draft pick on Daniel Carlson only to cut ties with the rookie kicker two years into his career. He also drafted and oversaw the time with Blair Walsh with the Vikings.

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2019-01-11-breaking-news-mike-priefer-will-not-return-as-vikings-special-teams-coach
Post #: 2259
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 2:17:52 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

BREAKING NEWS: Mike Priefer will not return as Vikings Special Teams Coach

It was rumored, thought and even suggested for most of the season but now it's official. The Minnesota Vikings will be moving on in 2019 without Mike Priefer as special teams coordinator.

quote:

Ben Goessling✔@GoesslingStrib
From @markcraignfl and me: Mike Priefer will not be returning as the Vikings’ special teams coordinator in 2019.

Priefer joined the Minnesota Vikings back in 2011 and has stuck with the team as Special Teams coordinator since then.

2018 seemed to be the breaking point for the Vikings as they spent a mid-round draft pick on Daniel Carlson only to cut ties with the rookie kicker two years into his career. He also drafted and oversaw the time with Blair Walsh with the Vikings.

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2019-01-11-breaking-news-mike-priefer-will-not-return-as-vikings-special-teams-coach

OK.

Offseason, checklist
1. fill OC position - Check
2. fire Priefer - check
3. find GOOD Oline Coach
4. Find GOOD ST Coach
5 get some Olinemen from FA
6 Draft an Olineman 3rd WR and TE
7 Get ready to dominate

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2260
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 3:27:27 PM   
Rob Viking

Philbin never struck me as an OLine coach but he has plenty of experience. The Dolphins had a good OLine when Ajayi was having some big games, Colts OLine has vastly improved this season when he wasn't there.
Post #: 2261
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 3:54:46 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

Philbin never struck me as an OLine coach but he has plenty of experience. The Dolphins had a good OLine when Ajayi was having some big games, Colts OLine has vastly improved this season when he wasn't there.

Two really good rookies helped. RT & LG were high round picks.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2262
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 4:10:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Yup. They drafted OL in the 1st (6) and 2nd (37) rounds this year.

A strategy I heartily endorse.

In fact, they've spent a ton of high picks building their line:

2018, R1, Pick 6: LG Quenton Nelson
2018. R2, Pick 37: RT Braden Smith
2016: R1, Pick 18: C Ryan Kelly
2015: R4, Pick 134: RG Mark Glowinski
2011: R1, Pick 22: LT Anthony Castonzo
Post #: 2263
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 5:40:35 PM   
Burns

As a Hawkeye fan (let me have it haters),

I remember Joe Philbin was a very respected OL coach for the Hawkeyes in the late 90's early 2000's. He is a fan favorite for how he helped develop players and coached during his short stint at Iowa and nobody wanted to see him leave for the Packers. He helped develop Eric Steinbach and Robert Gallery (both all-Americans) and the Hawkeyes had a pretty dominate offensive line during his tenure.

Warrior Sapper 12B Combat Engineer
Post #: 2264
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 6:13:46 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Yup. They drafted OL in the 1st (6) and 2nd (37) rounds this year.

A strategy I heartily endorse.

In fact, they've spent a ton of high picks building their line:

2018, R1, Pick 6: LG Quenton Nelson
2018. R2, Pick 37: RT Braden Smith
2016: R1, Pick 18: C Ryan Kelly
2015: R4, Pick 134: RG Mark Glowinski
2011: R1, Pick 22: LT Anthony Castonzo

I approve this message

Post #: 2265
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 8:45:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burns

I remember Joe Philbin was a very respected OL coach for the Hawkeyes in the late 90's early 2000's. He is a fan favorite for how he helped develop players and coached during his short stint at Iowa and nobody wanted to see him leave for the Packers. He helped develop Eric Steinbach and Robert Gallery (both all-Americans) and the Hawkeyes had a pretty dominate offensive line during his tenure.

Is he the guy who teaches that holding that isn't really holding blocking technique?

I heard late in the season the refs were cracking down on that.
Post #: 2266
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 8:50:41 PM   
JT2

Maybe we should get better at taking advantage of the rules. Seems we're pretty comfortable just pointing out how others do it.
Post #: 2267
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 10:35:28 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Maybe we should get better at taking advantage of the rules. Seems we're pretty comfortable just pointing out how others do it.

YES! Do it! Sometimes being an innovator in the NFL isn't coming up with something new or unique rather just pushing a gray area as far as they'll let you. Remember when Seattle decided to see if the refs were willing to call defensive holding / pass interference on every play? Sure they led the league in penalties that year but they also got away with an incredible amount of muggings simply because the refs were NOT willing to properly throw the flag on every penalty for fear of a five hour game. Seattle won the Super Bowl that year.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2268
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 11:17:27 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burns

Is he the guy who teaches that holding that isn't really holding blocking technique?

I heard late in the season the refs were cracking down on that.

Well if he was teaching it and it was effective doesn't he deserve credit for it? Or are we accusing him of being a one trick pony who has nothing else to offer? Sounds like a pretty smart guy to me

edit: didn't see the previous two posts before this one - sorry

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 1/11/2019 11:21:57 PM >
Post #: 2269
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 11:21:23 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

YES! Do it! Sometimes being an innovator in the NFL isn't coming up with something new or unique rather just pushing a gray area as far as they'll let you. Remember when Seattle decided to see if the refs were willing to call defensive holding / pass interference on every play? Sure they led the league in penalties that year but they also got away with an incredible amount of muggings simply because the refs were NOT willing to properly throw the flag on every penalty for fear of a five hour game. Seattle won the Super Bowl that year.

I don't think they were afraid to jump off sides on fg attempts, either
Post #: 2270
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 11:37:24 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Or illegally block FG's by using leverage!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2271
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/11/2019 11:42:41 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Or illegally block FG's by using leverage!

Right

But as long as Belichick doesn't do it it's ok
Post #: 2272
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 6:05:00 AM   
Todd M

Stefanski talking about Cousins: I think the kid is super talented.

Talking about a 30 year old man and calling him a kid is stupid...when you're 36 yourself?
Post #: 2273
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 7:27:21 AM   
Bill Jandro

If he becomes available I'd suggest this guy for Oline coach

James Campen
Another Packer mainstay, Campen has been Green Bay’s line coach since 2007. As Matt LaFleur takes over control of the Packers, it is to be seen how much of the staff he plans to retain. Should LaFleur let Campen go, he could bring a wealth of experience and a strong resume to Minnesota. Campen played seven years in the league at center, including three seasons as a full-time starter. Since joining the Packer staff in 2004, he has developed a host of solid linemen, from three-time All-Pros David Bakhtiari and Josh Sitton to Pro Bowlers T.J. Lang and Chad Clifton. Though his overall reputation may not equal that of Philbin’s, he has a stronger resume purely as a line coach.

Post #: 2274
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 8:39:05 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Stefanski talking about Cousins: I think the kid is super talented.

Talking about a 30 year old man and calling him a kid is stupid...when you're 36 yourself?

He also was quoted as "I'll defer to coach Zimmer" when asked about fixing the OLine. Not a good sign when you're the OCord, IMO.
Post #: 2275
Page:   <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode