Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 8:46:40 AM   
Bill Jandro

Packers haven't taken a 1st rd olineman in 10 years. That's why I've always admired what Campen has done over there.

He developed Bahktari (4th rd pick) in to one of the top LT's in the game.

Appears he can identify good prospects in the middle to late rds of the draft. being that has been Spielmans motto let's get someone in here who can do more with less.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2276
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 9:10:23 AM   
Todd M

I want the theme to be - they hogged the OL in the draft.

Take 5 and roll with everything else we have.
Post #: 2277
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 9:28:07 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Stefanski talking about Cousins: I think the kid is super talented.

Talking about a 30 year old man and calling him a kid is stupid...when you're 36 yourself?

He also was quoted as "I'll defer to coach Zimmer" when asked about fixing the OLine. Not a good sign when you're the OCord, IMO.

Every since Zim started publicly talking about needing to run more, so many things coming out of the organization just don't sound right to me
Post #: 2278
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 9:47:22 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

If he becomes available I'd suggest this guy for Oline coach

James Campen
Another Packer mainstay, Campen has been Green Bay’s line coach since 2007. As Matt LaFleur takes over control of the Packers, it is to be seen how much of the staff he plans to retain. Should LaFleur let Campen go, he could bring a wealth of experience and a strong resume to Minnesota. Campen played seven years in the league at center, including three seasons as a full-time starter. Since joining the Packer staff in 2004, he has developed a host of solid linemen, from three-time All-Pros David Bakhtiari and Josh Sitton to Pro Bowlers T.J. Lang and Chad Clifton. Though his overall reputation may not equal that of Philbin’s, he has a stronger resume purely as a line coach.

Ah, so HE is the OL guy at GB. I agree in that I hope he is seriously considered if available.

Still, the nagging thing is Favre/Rodgers helped make the OL look better than it was by dancing/scrambling (helps passing game) and simply having the threat of a downfield passing game (helps running game).
Post #: 2279
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 9:49:09 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Talking about a 30 year old man and calling him a kid is stupid...when you're 36 yourself?

He also was quoted as "I'll defer to coach Zimmer" when asked about fixing the OLine. Not a good sign when you're the OCord, IMO.

Yeah, geez! I figure as a minimum he'd say the standard we look at all aspects, everybody provides input, blah, blah. Maybe that's what he meant in terms of Zimmer having the final call on position need. Still, a blatant statement.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/12/2019 9:51:49 AM >
Post #: 2280
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 9:53:19 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

If he becomes available I'd suggest this guy for Oline coach

James Campen
Another Packer mainstay, Campen has been Green Bay’s line coach since 2007. As Matt LaFleur takes over control of the Packers, it is to be seen how much of the staff he plans to retain. Should LaFleur let Campen go, he could bring a wealth of experience and a strong resume to Minnesota. Campen played seven years in the league at center, including three seasons as a full-time starter. Since joining the Packer staff in 2004, he has developed a host of solid linemen, from three-time All-Pros David Bakhtiari and Josh Sitton to Pro Bowlers T.J. Lang and Chad Clifton. Though his overall reputation may not equal that of Philbin’s, he has a stronger resume purely as a line coach.

Ah, so HE is the OL guy at GB. I agree in that I hope he is seriously considered if available.

Still, the nagging thing is Favre/Rodgers helped make the OL look better than it was by dancing/scrambling (helps passing game) and simply having the threat of a downfield passing game (helps running game).

Good point. Kind of like how Keenum helped our oline look better last season.

I still think we need to invest major resources in this unit. Campen has a track record of "coaching guys up" so that always helps.

Post #: 2281
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 9:54:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Every since Zim started publicly talking about needing to run more, so many things coming out of the organization just don't sound right to me

I think you have to be able to run. Look at the Colts last week---Luck got the big lead and they just run the ball down Houston's throat 2nd half.

I don't think Zimmer cares the %---he wants to get 1st downs on 3rd and 1 and be able to run. I think we are reading this like we just played Tecmo Bowl for 2 hours straight. Run the ball effectively as needed.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2282
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 9:56:10 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, geez! I figure as a minimum he'd say the standard we look at all aspects, everybody provides input, blah, blah. Maybe that's what he meant in terms of Zimmer having the final call on position need. Still, a blatant statement.

He isn't going to force something----in order to be hired Zimmer and Spielman probably already told him their plans. I really like Arif's draft....draft the DT first round and grab Oline next two.

Post #: 2283
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 9:57:01 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Seems every year Zimmer goes back and 'assesses' his performance. Wonder if he'll do that this year? Or are things simply leaning to 'my way or the highway'.

There was also that weird take during the season along the lines of asking players if he had lost the team, then alluding to ~ I knew I wasn't losing the team but had to ask anyway.

OK, might as well espouse it now and get this thing rolling with the NFL: MANDATORY 5 YEAR TERM LIMITS FOR HEAD COACHES!

You heard it here first.
Post #: 2284
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 9:58:01 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think you have to be able to run. Look at the Colts last week---Luck got the big lead and they just run the ball down Houston's throat 2nd half.

I don't think Zimmer cares the %---he wants to get 1st downs on 3rd and 1 and be able to run. I think we are reading this like we just played Tecmo Bowl for 2 hours straight. Run the ball effectively as needed.

Effectively running the ball is good
Post #: 2285
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 10:00:02 AM   
Bill Jandro

Zim wants to keep it old school. Run the ball and play good defense.

This is an ok strategy provided you have the oline capable of pushing better defenses around. we're a long way or should I say several players (Oline) away from remotely being able to do this.

I think the bad feeling Ricky is getting about Zim tells me this will be his final season here.

Post #: 2286
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 10:00:21 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure you have to be able to run. But did Zimmer see the results? WAS HE WATCHING THE GAMES?

Did Zimmer know that Cook LED THE LEAGUE in contact behind the LOS? Wasn't Cook on average first contacted 1.5 yards BEHIND the LOS?

And how does your pie-in-the-sky line "Run the ball effectively as needed" play into reality?
Post #: 2287
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 10:03:00 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He isn't going to force something----in order to be hired Zimmer and Spielman probably already told him their plans. I really like Arif's draft....draft the DT first round and grab Oline next two.

Your earlier post said we need to run like the Colt's can.

The model for being able to do that is draft oline early and often not DT.

Post #: 2288
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 10:05:05 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Zim wants to keep it old school. Run the ball and play good defense.

This is an ok strategy provided you have the oline capable of pushing better defenses around. we're a long way or should I say several players (Oline) away from remotely being able to do this.

I think the bad feeling Ricky is getting about Zim tells me this will be his final season here.

Re: possibility of this being Zimmer's final season here. Wouldn't be surprised at all. Barring a deep playoff run, would expect it.
Post #: 2289
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 10:06:54 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

quote:

A 5th would be a good get. Maybe the Raiders do a 4th because they have a lot of walking around money and won't be as attached to the smaller coin.

I heard the Raiders are going cheap until they move to vegas. Like cap floor.

This kind of explains why they dumped mack and Cooper.

Send them a 2nd and 5th for Osmelele

Osemele's contract is not cheap, and he had a bad year, so although he's a nice upgrade, not so sure I'd do that.

Does Waynes for Osemele make sense?

I think so.
Post #: 2290
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 10:07:10 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sssssh. He's playing 'Tecmo Bowl'... or maybe Madden.

"See, it was 3rd and 4 and Cook ran for 5. We CAN run!"
Post #: 2291
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 10:08:42 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or Electric football
Post #: 2292
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 11:25:02 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But only based on signing two starting interior OL in FA, right? Any plan that doesn't yield two starting interior OL plan is denial......
Post #: 2293
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 11:28:18 AM   
Todd M

I don't care who falls. OL.

I will accept a small trade down if the board lines up right...but spend the extra stock on OL.

OL.
Post #: 2294
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 11:37:03 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Look at the teams ahead of us in the draft..

How many of them have their franchise Qb, who is underperforming because he is getting sackrd or has no running game to work play action off of..

Those are the teams most likely to make a run at OL

And we are one of them..

Our screen game sucked, we had some good games running the ball that opened up play action, but in general , opposing DC’s would just run blitz with the caveat to collapse to the Qb if it was a pass play.

Our linemen got bull rushed, pushed back and thrown around like blocking dummy bags all season long.

The interior was pathetic.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2295
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 11:49:46 AM   
Todd M

Picking at 18 you are generally going to get your 1st or 2nd choice in guard. Identify 2 of them and get at making this team better.

I don't I know enough or will know enough about being able to trade down. Doesn't matter...get one.
Post #: 2296
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 11:51:50 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are reading too much into Zimmer's response and my post....overdrafting a guard when it is plenty in the next draft would be a mistake. Running the ball down the throats doesn't=overdrafting a guard. Quentin Nelson was a 1st round grade, I read from Arif that OG are plenty of equal grade in the 2nd and 3rd round to any 1st round guard. In addition the 2-3 OT available will be drafted before we draft. So don't get pissed if Oline isn't address in the 1st round.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/12/2019 11:56:58 AM >

Post #: 2297
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 11:52:27 AM   
Todd M

Getting value has been Rick's MO...chances are we will see and hear about it if we simply don't stay and make our pick...I'd rather just play this one straight. At least in the 1st round.
Post #: 2298
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 11:55:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

I can see Zimmer being pissed that you can't run the ball when needed.....that doesn't equal running the every down and never passing. Zimmer isn't and shouldn't have to spell it out for you. Matchups favor/call for you to run the ball and we couldn't the last 3 games somewhat. Did Zimmer ever complain about Cousins passing? He is happy with the passing offense. Throwing the ball 70% is Tecmo Bowl...after Flip was fired they still passed more than they ran...just not to that degree.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/12/2019 12:08:59 PM >

Post #: 2299
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2019 12:16:05 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I can see Zimmer being pissed that you can't run the ball when needed.....that doesn't equal running the every down and never passing. Zimmer isn't and shouldn't have to spell it out for you. Matchups favor/call for you to run the ball and we couldn't the last 3 games somewhat. Did Zimmer ever complain about Cousins passing? He is happy with the passing offense. Throwing the ball 70% is Tecmo Bowl...after Flip was fired they still passed more than they ran...just not to that degree.

Who said anything about "running (the) every down and never passing."

You trying to wrap this into a mystery inside a riddle inside a quagmire?
Post #: 2300
Page:   <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode