Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2020 11:23:50 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Diggs was just going to be a major distraction in our new look offense with Kubiak at helm...

Back to the future will be or mantra again and we will stick even more to the RUN RUN short dump PASS type offense that the HC desires.

Diggs was an expensive miscast square peg in round hole for our ground pounding attack that brings back days of future past...

Our elite D will keep scores close and our O will control time of possession with a mastermind at clock management to have us in every game right to the end...

We have to parlay this trade into a stud vet Olineman.

With our salary cap situation, wouldn't it be cheaper to draft an offensive lineman in the first round?

Yes.

But, do you want proven or Matt Kalil, Elfy, etc...?

If we had the money I'd take the veteran, but the financial difference is huge. The benefit lasts for four years.

Reiff will be cut in my scenario.
Post #: 226
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2020 11:33:05 PM   
Tom Sykes

Thanks Diggs - besides the historic moment, you gave us some good production but the attitude and public drama had to go.

For having your hand forced, Spielman came away with a pretty good deal.

Hopefully, he recognizes part of that deal has to convert into some solid veteran help via trade / RFA / etc.

Even a great draft class on paper is hit or miss and may take awhile to get big contributions out of.
Post #: 227
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2020 11:50:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I won't say who this is from. Just it's more entertainment.

BREAKING: Details have been finalized between the Vikings and Falcons in two-team mega trade. Minnesota sending Stefon Diggs, Dalvin Cook and 2020 fourth rounder to Atlanta for Julio Jones, Ito Smith Jr and the Falcons’ 2020 first round draft pick. More to come. #NFL

Who is Ito Smith jr?

A crappy running back. We must have a lot of faith in Mattison.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 228
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2020 11:54:30 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Vikings Trade WR Stefon Diggs To Bills
March 16th, 2020 at 9:37pm CST by Ben Levine
This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.

We’ve got our second major wide receiver trade of the day. Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer reports (via Twitter) that the Vikings are trading star wideout Stefon Diggs to the Bills. ESPN’s Adam Schefter has full details on the swap (Twitter link):

To Minnesota: 2020 1st-round pick, 2020 5th-round pick, 2020 6th-round pick, 2021 4th-round pick
To Buffalo: Diggs, 2020 7th-round pick

A first, 5th, 6th this year and a 4th next year is a lot, but our receiving corp is decimated by this move for the time being. We aren't getting a rookie WR that will come anywhere close to matching Diggs output. Maybe we can trade for Julio Jones with all the draft fodder we just picked up.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 229
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2020 11:55:49 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

Let’s be clear, this makes the team immediately worse.
Trader Rick taking a big gamble, in what was already likely his last year
Needs to rebuild secondary, oline, dline and now WR
Wow this could be a loooong year

You hit the nail on the head.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 230
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2020 11:58:56 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

Bummed... I really loved watching Diggs play.

But, I'm relieved they got decent compensation... I thought after the Hopkins deal we could get fleeced as well.

Lotta picks... but history has shown that doesn't necessarily pay off... I'm thinking of the Cordarrelle, Harry, Shariff in the first round draft.
Then again.... you hit on a draft like this and it can propel you.

Picks
Round 1
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 6
Round 6
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

That's 12 freaking picks before the draft starts. OMG!. I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up with more. 2 1s a 2 and 2 3s is about what started the Cowboys Dynasty. Was the Atlanta deal almost done or was that always bogus?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 231
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 7:13:39 AM   
Todd M

Not feeling too bad about the Diggs trade. He'd be on the team if he wanted to be but he didn't. We got a nice haul.
Post #: 232
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 7:13:40 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

How do you figure we need to rebuild WR? We have Thielen and Bisi plus Hollins. One to two Draft Picks after the 2nd round maybe....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 233
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 7:17:35 AM   
Todd M

I could see dropping out of one of our firsts and taking 2 receivers in the 2nd round. That's 2 wr's and possibly cb and dt before we start the 3rd round.
Post #: 234
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 7:17:38 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

Bummed... I really loved watching Diggs play.

But, I'm relieved they got decent compensation... I thought after the Hopkins deal we could get fleeced as well.

Lotta picks... but history has shown that doesn't necessarily pay off... I'm thinking of the Cordarrelle, Harry, Shariff in the first round draft.
Then again.... you hit on a draft like this and it can propel you.

Picks
Round 1
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 6
Round 6
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

That's 12 freaking picks before the draft starts. OMG!. I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up with more. 2 1s a 2 and 2 3s is about what started the Cowboys Dynasty. Was the Atlanta deal almost done or was that always bogus?

Maybe Rick can parlay all those early picks into 7th rders

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 235
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 8:05:11 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Weak cap wise but pretty good in terms of draft picks.

Maneuver and get a bunch of 2nd rounders.
Post #: 236
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 8:07:57 AM   
SteveR

Ding dong, Diggs is gone.

I am okay with that. He was decent at times but also disappeared and dropped the ball at times. Plus, drama. If one could get a decent return for him, he was totally ripe to move.

I am not a Rick fan at all, but I think he did okay here. We are not going anywhere super special in the moment. We are looking at maybe 2-4 seasons from now, after Zim is gone, and the new guy has a chance to try to build a contender. Hopefully, the new guy is good. If not, them's the breaks.
Post #: 237
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 8:10:52 AM   
Bill Johanesen

So if there are no takers on Harris we are stuck paying him $11.4 million. Got the safety market cornered!

Agree w/ earlier post, the option of next years comp pick would have been better.

With a team having to fork over a multi-year deal, a 5th rounder is probably reasonable. 4th is gravy.
Post #: 238
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 8:11:37 AM   
Ragnarök

As of right now, and including Cousins’ and Harris’ extensions, the team has 51 players under contract with contracts totaling $179,371,678 along with 2020 dead money cap hits totaling $8,759,228, equaling total cap liabilities of $188,130,906, which puts the team under the $198,200,000 2020 NFL salary cap by $10,069,094 (overthecap lists the Vikings team cap space at $10,398,270, and they may be right, but the math didn’t work, so I used my calculations instead), so that’s a long way of saying that the Vikings, as of now, have $10,069,094 in cap space available for them to pursue free agents and to sign their draft picks. At their current position on the draft board, I estimate it will take between $3 million and $4 million of cap space for the Vikings to sign their draft picks.
Post #: 239
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 9:31:45 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings must be trying to trade Reiff. That would provide cap relief, too, wouldn't it ?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 240
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 9:57:35 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

So if there are no takers on Harris we are stuck paying him $11.4 million. Got the safety market cornered!

Agree w/ earlier post, the option of next years comp pick would have been better.

With a team having to fork over a multi-year deal, a 5th rounder is probably reasonable. 4th is gravy.

No takers on Harris? You think 31 other NFL teams will say no-thanks to an elite safety who is 28 years old? It will happen. That being said it's weird to think having two of the best safeties in the NFL would be a bad thing. Has Harris signed the tag yet? If not it can be rescinded if we get no takers or not the correct offer. There's no guarantee that the comp pick would be a third rounder either. Waynes, Weatherly, and Harris would still be offset by any FAs we bring in.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 241
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 10:21:37 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

No takers on Harris? You think 31 other NFL teams will say no-thanks to an elite safety who is 28 years old? It will happen. That being said it's weird to think having two of the best safeties in the NFL would be a bad thing. Has Harris signed the tag yet? If not it can be rescinded if we get no takers or not the correct offer. There's no guarantee that the comp pick would be a third rounder either. Waynes, Weatherly, and Harris would still be offset by any FAs we bring in.

What part of "IF" is befuddling to you? And yet you state the same premise. Weird.

"Waynes, Weatherly, and Harris would still be offset by any FAs we bring in." Now THAT'S funny!

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/17/2020 10:24:00 AM >
Post #: 242
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 10:27:30 AM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

How do you figure we need to rebuild WR? We have Thielen and Bisi plus Hollins. One to two Draft Picks after the 2nd round maybe....

Bisi showed some flashes, also often looked like a 4th WR. 31/294/3 is not inspiring - especially when he spent a decent part of the year as the 2nd guy.

Hollins was an undrafted rookie that caught 2 passes.

We're beyond paper thin at WR. Our only proven guy will be 30 when the season starts and is coming off an injury plagued season.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 3/17/2020 10:28:39 AM >
Post #: 243
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 10:31:47 AM   
Bill Johanesen

The fact is, a team CAN rescind the franchise designation if it isn't signed. Timing for deciding that, Harris signing, etc is everything.
Post #: 244
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 10:41:31 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

What part of "IF" is befuddling to you? And yet you state the same premise. Weird.

"Waynes, Weatherly, and Harris would still be offset by any FAs we bring in." Now THAT'S funny!

I don't understand your reply at all. That's not me being tricky or cute or whatever. I really just plain don't understand what you're saying. Sorry.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 245
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 10:51:46 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bisi showed some flashes, also often looked like a 4th WR. 31/294/3 is not inspiring - especially when he spent a decent part of the year as the 2nd guy.

We're beyond paper thin at WR. Our only proven guy will be 30 when the season starts and is coming off an injury plagued season.

Those who think we have any NFL starter quality WRs other than Thielen are smoking something really good. Thielen came up with the big catch against the Saints, but he was mostly not himself after returning from injury.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 246
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 11:21:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

I believe they have a plan at WR in the draft and FA. Stay tuned and don't buy up all the TP.

Post #: 247
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 11:26:37 AM   
David Levine

quote:

I believe they have a plan at WR in the draft and FA. Stay tuned and don't buy up all the TP.

Unfortunately under Spielman, all of our "planned" WRs have been a disaster and he's lucked into the good ones.
Post #: 248
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 11:31:15 AM   
Ragnarök

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Those who think we have any NFL starter quality WRs other than Thielen are smoking something really good. Thielen came up with the big catch against the Saints, but he was mostly not himself after returning from injury.

We are fine at WR for the new system and mantra being implemented for this year. Passing further than ten yards down field will be done only when necessary or team luled into stacking the box blows deeper coverage.

Most WR assignments will be heavy on downfield blocking assignments to blow open longer runs for RB and screens, lots of draw plays and dump offs in backfield. Lean heavily on TE and possession receivers with methodical time of possession drive or quick Run, Run, inc Pass for three and out...

We need to add a stout possession WR with blocking skills and ability for some YAC, the sort of weapon we were supposed to get out of Treadbust...

Diggs was a luxury the current system would have used sparingly and mostly as running decoy routes to drag defenders deeper. He knew it and wanted no part of where the Vikes were headed with this all.
Post #: 249
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2020 11:37:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We are fine at WR for the new system and mantra being implemented for this year. Passing further than ten yards down field will be done only when necessary or team luled into stacking the box blows deeper coverage.

Most WR assignments will be heavy on downfield blocking assignments to blow open longer runs for RB and screens, lots of draw plays and dump offs in backfield. Lean heavily on TE and possession receivers with methodical time of possession drive or quick Run, Run, inc Pass for three and out...

We need to add a stout possession WR with blocking skills and ability for some YAC, the sort of weapon we were supposed to get out of Treadbust...

Diggs was a luxury the current system would have used sparingly and mostly as running decoy routes to drag defenders deeper. He knew it and wanted no part of where the Vikes were headed with this all.

I am thinking more along the lines of Justin Jefferson, Tyler Johnson, and Adam Thielen....3 good blockers for WR and good WRs also.

Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode