Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/31/2020 4:55:21 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

He's not a Viking, but he was last year so I'm posting it here.

JAYRON KEARSE
DB, DETROIT LIONS

NFL suspended Lions S Jayron Kearse three games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.
Kearse was arrested for a DUI last October, leading to his suspension. He made 62 appearances with the Vikings the past three seasons, most recently recording 28 tackles on a career-high 270 (25%) defensive snaps. He'll be available to return in Week 4 at home against the Saints.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Jul 31, 2020, 3:52 PM ET

I still wish he was with us. He could do a lot of things for us on D.
Post #: 2601
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/31/2020 4:59:47 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm thinking that Osborn is looking good.

https://twitter.com/KJ_Osborn/status/1289281894127869953?s=20

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2602
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/31/2020 6:32:09 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I'm thinking that Osborn is looking good.

https://twitter.com/KJ_Osborn/status/1289281894127869953?s=20

Nice catch by Osborn.
I like that all our WRs look solid. None that I've seen looking twig like. Oborn, Jefferson, Thielen, Tajae and Bisi all very solidly built,

There was a picture of Dantzler just a little under the Osborn clip and still Skinny, but even he looks like he may have bulked up a little.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2603
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/31/2020 6:37:20 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

If Holmes is cut he will be considered a very bad 3rd rd pick. I think kicking the tires on Snacks or (if healthy) Timmy Jernigan might be better than keeping the sloth in Stephens.

Smith is probably cheaper than Gedeon(whom also wasn't a great selection) being it appears Wilson has supplanted him as the 3rd LB. I think they really like Dye to contribute this year.

Brandel should be a protected player on the PS

plus smith has three years left on his rookie deal - gedeon is in his last year...that said, i'd still keep gedeon over smith - he's more instinctive and physical - a thumper that's good against the run....

it wouldn't shock me if we let barr go next season - keep dye, wilson, kendricks and 2021 2nd/3rd round rookie....

I was curious about the salary cap implications of releasing Barr. I mean, I'm a huge fan of him, but I can see that perhaps we are not getting the best value for the huge bucks we are paying. Looking at it, it's clear that we can't cut him this season and even next year will be painful. (7.8 million in dead money) Without looking it up that's comparable to Reiff's contract and impact of cutting him this season. I guess it's possible, but it looks like to me unlikely if he continues to play at a solid, if not spectacular level of play.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/anthony-barr-14418/

Agreed - Kyle & Barr are in similar cap situations - savings might not be worth cutting unless we can replace the production with far cheaper options. Wilson will be URFA next year and might cost too much to be a net cap savings. Don't see Smith or Dye as replacements for Barr.

Reiff's cap situation is entirely different. He'd only have a 2.2M cap hit this year and next with 11M and 12M cap savings. 22.75M combined (20 & 21 season) cap savings. Comparing savings to dead money - it's entirely different than Kyle & Barr, imo.

As long as Zim is our HC Barr will be wearing purple.

I agree. He runs a lot of our scheme through Barr. I wish he would use him more to blitz than to play coverage, but that's his decision.

Somebody here posted stats that showed Barr was extremely unsuccessful as a pass rusher IIRC.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2604
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/31/2020 10:36:36 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

This might sound like crazy talk, but I think our government SHOULD impose a no looting/arson ban.

So you want looting and arson?

Well, why wouldn't I?
Post #: 2605
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/31/2020 11:47:43 PM   
Pager

Barr - after 2018 season.

His 79.7 pass-rushing grade is seventh among linebackers and his pass-rushing productivity grade of 13.8 is first, according to Pro Football Focus. It’s easy to see why the Jets are looking past his counting stats.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/12/jets-sign-anthony-barr-pass-rusher-analysis-vikings-2019-nfl-free-agency/

I remember it differently than KGB - I've always always thought/remembered the stats for Barr as a very effective rusher - just without a lot of opportunities.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2606
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 7:35:26 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

His 79.7 pass-rushing grade is seventh among linebackers and his pass-rushing productivity grade of 13.8 is first, according to Pro Football Focus. It’s easy to see why the Jets are looking past his counting stats.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/12/jets-sign-anthony-barr-pass-rusher-analysis-vikings-2019-nfl-free-agency/

I remember it differently than KGB - I've always always thought/remembered the stats for Barr as a very effective rusher - just without a lot of opportunities.

My memory is that although he didn't get credit for sacks so much, he was successful in disrupting the play. If it was third down, then that is just about as good. I mean, sometimes a player gets credit for a sack, but the loss on the play was only a yard or two. That happens a lot and I think when it happens that I'm happy that the player gets credit for the sack, but that it really was pretty much the same as an incomplete pass. If the team is trying to catch up with the score, an incomplete pass may actually be better because it stops the clock. The inverse of that is that when a team is leading and is on offense near the end of the game, in my opinion it's better to take a modest sack then to throw the ball away. I believe some smarter quarterbacks are aware of that. Of course, then a defensive player gets credit for the sack. It pads their stats. Anyway, I'm just saying that I think that sacks are overblown. A player gets say 8 sacks throughout the season- one every other game. How did he do on all of the other plays? It might have been 80 plays over the two games.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2607
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 9:25:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

@SeanBormanNFL

Britton Colquitt’s 2019 season yielded a #Vikings single-season record for net punting average (42.6 yards per punt) - per the team’s website.

Dan Bailey increased his FG percentage from 75% to 93.1% with Colquitt as his holder.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2608
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 10:30:05 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

@SeanBormanNFL

Britton Colquitt’s 2019 season yielded a #Vikings single-season record for net punting average (42.6 yards per punt) - per the team’s website.

Dan Bailey increased his FG percentage from 75% to 93.1% with Colquitt as his holder.

Glad these 2 are on board for the next couple years.

FG unit has given many ulcers through the years.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2609
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 10:37:04 AM   
David F.

Or just maybe some other toxic piece of the special teams is no longer with the team? I can’t be the only one to notice exactly when special teams took a significant upswing in quality can I?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2610
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 10:42:21 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

My memory is that although he didn't get credit for sacks so much, he was successful in disrupting the play. If it was third down, then that is just about as good. I mean, sometimes a player gets credit for a sack, but the loss on the play was only a yard or two. That happens a lot and I think when it happens that I'm happy that the player gets credit for the sack, but that it really was pretty much the same as an incomplete pass. If the team is trying to catch up with the score, an incomplete pass may actually be better because it stops the clock. The inverse of that is that when a team is leading and is on offense near the end of the game, in my opinion it's better to take a modest sack then to throw the ball away. I believe some smarter quarterbacks are aware of that. Of course, then a defensive player gets credit for the sack. It pads their stats. Anyway, I'm just saying that I think that sacks are overblown. A player gets say 8 sacks throughout the season- one every other game. How did he do on all of the other plays? It might have been 80 plays over the two games.

Barr can be an effective pass rusher if used enough. Compounding the problem of not using him in that role enough is that he’s poor in pass coverage. In 2019 opposing offenses completed 81% of passes targeting him (per PFF). In the last six games of 2019 which includes playoffs teams completed 100% of their passes targeting Barr. Could just as well send him at the QB if he cant cover - if you ask me.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2611
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 10:44:50 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Or just maybe some other toxic piece of the special teams is no longer with the team? I can’t be the only one to notice exactly when special teams took a significant upswing in quality can I?

I think having a professional place holder is why bailey's accuracy is much improved.

Post #: 2612
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 10:50:16 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Barr can be an effective pass rusher if used enough. Compounding the problem of not using him in that role enough is that he’s poor in pass coverage. In 2019 opposing offenses completed 81% of passes targeting him (per PFF). In the last six games of 2019 which includes playoffs teams completed 100% of their passes targeting Barr. Could just as well send him at the QB if he cant cover - if you ask me.

He doesn't really belong on the field on obvious passing downs unless he's used as a pass rusher. Good coaches get him matched up against a wr and it's all over.

We keep hoping every year Zim will unleash him in the pass rush and it never happens. This year though with a clear lack of proven DE talent maybe will see him there more often. Not going to bet the farm on it though.

Post #: 2613
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 11:00:42 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

I think having a professional place holder is why bailey's accuracy is much improved.

I’ve got a feeling we’re going to be enjoying the benefit of all sorts of things that lead to improvement of various aspects of special teams. It was nice to go a whole season without a punt getting blocked too.

Post #: 2614
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 2:22:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

OMG what a joke.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2615
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 2:23:59 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I remember somebody posting Barr's pass rushing stats as very poor. Maybe he did well in 2018 and poorly otherwise. What were his pass rushing numbers for 2019

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2616
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 2:44:25 PM   
kgdabom

NFL.Com just ranked the best of the last 10 MVP seasons. 9 Qbs and one RB. Guess which one ranked the best of them all.

Adrian Peterson
Minnesota Vikings · 2012
Stats: 348 carries, 2,097 rushing yards, 12 rushing TDs, 6.0 yards per carry, 131.1 rushing yards per game.

Conventional wisdom holds that it usually takes two seasons to fully recover from ligament injuries in the knee. In 2012, Peterson proved conventional wisdom doesn't apply to him. Less than nine months after tearing his ACL and MCL in 2011, the running back opened 2012 by racking up 84 yards and two scores on the ground in a Week 1 win over the Jaguars. It was just the beginning of the second-greatest rushing season in NFL history. In the end, Peterson fell 8 yards short of Eric Dickerson's all-time single-season record. What made this season even more remarkable was the fact that Peterson thrived while operating with second-year pro Christian Ponder under center. Not to knock Ponder, but this meant every opponent knew Peterson was going to get the football early and often, and they still couldn't stop him. Peterson became the only non-QB to win MVP in the 2010s, and while playing time lost to injuries and suspension might keep the 35-year-old Washington veteran from breaking Emmitt Smith's all-time rushing record, he'll be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Follow Gil Brandt on Twitter.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/1/2020 5:12:35 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2617
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 4:26:02 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He doesn't really belong on the field on obvious passing downs unless he's used as a pass rusher. Good coaches get him matched up against a wr and it's all over.

We keep hoping every year Zim will unleash him in the pass rush and it never happens. This year though with a clear lack of proven DE talent maybe will see him there more often. Not going to bet the farm on it though.

Not sure what you mean by "clear lack of proven DE talent".
Post #: 2618
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2020 6:26:01 PM  1 votes
Todd M

quote:

quote:

OMG what a joke.

Ok. It definitely checks out as sound then.

I of course was already there but getting the kg stamp on it drives it home.
Post #: 2619
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2020 12:07:54 AM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

OMG what a joke.

Thanks for your faith in me Todd.

Honestly I just think DF's vendetta against Prieffer is pure comedy. He was stolen from us by another NFL team. Ancient history and IMO ridiculous that DF keeps harping on about him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2620
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2020 7:08:56 AM   
Bruce Johnson

When I go to Twitter I can only find angry politics. Politics divides us, but sports brings us together. That's one of the best things about being a Vikings fan. We are linked together by our common passion for our team. I just wish there was more going on. There's nothing. Nothing is probably better than something at this time, though. If there is news, it's going to be bad. (ie. somebody has tested positive)

Well, I believe the Minnesota Twins, Lynx and United all won yesterday. We have that and it was a good day for Minnesota from that perspective.

If you want something to cheer about you can watch this. I enjoyed it. (Minnesota United scoring quite a few goals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEeDGHCfXmc

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/2/2020 7:26:13 AM >

Post #: 2621
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2020 9:02:02 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

When I go to Twitter I can only find angry politics. Politics divides us, but sports brings us together. That's one of the best things about being a Vikings fan. We are linked together by our common passion for our team. I just wish there was more going on. There's nothing. Nothing is probably better than something at this time, though. If there is news, it's going to be bad. (ie. somebody has tested positive)

Well, I believe the Minnesota Twins, Lynx and United all won yesterday. We have that and it was a good day for Minnesota from that perspective.

If you want something to cheer about you can watch this. I enjoyed it. (Minnesota United scoring quite a few goals)

The opponents GoalKeeper was a sieve. He made a nice stop on the PK, but 4 of the 5 goals allowed he had rather easy chances to save. Fun to watch.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2622
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2020 9:13:48 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

OMG what a joke.

Thanks for your faith in me Todd.

Honestly I just think DF's vendetta against Prieffer is pure comedy. He was stolen from us by another NFL team. Ancient history and IMO ridiculous that DF keeps harping on about him.

Maybe I’m wrong - who knows? Maybe it’s just by chance that special teams measurably improved in so many aspects. Perhaps the change in personnel was the key. Seems like we we’re changing up the personnel plenty in the past with no results to speak of... who knows? I guess in the meantime we can all agree it’s nice to have solid special teams - something we haven’t been able to enjoy for quite some time.

Post #: 2623
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2020 10:51:24 AM   
Bruce Johnson

A new Justin Jefferson video of practice. He's going to catch some deep passes from Cousins.

http://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1289726324869718018

Post #: 2624
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2020 11:36:22 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

The opponents GoalKeeper was a sieve. He made a nice stop on the PK, but 4 of the 5 goals allowed he had rather easy chances to save. Fun to watch.

Is this a joke or have you never stepped on a pitch?
Post #: 2625
Page:   <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode