Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 12:14:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Bruce has it right. Looking at median might give more insight by eliminating outliers.

Another stat - eventual conversions on 2nd and long. What % of runs led to a pick up (on the second down or third down). Same for a pass on second down.

You may have the numbers for the past, but it may not work for the game at hand, especially if the opponent is really tough to run against or if our offense is missing a key player like Dalvin or Bradbury. Then there's situational football. Our team is pretty far ahead or pretty far behind. The score and the time on the clock may dictate run or pass and also the weather could be a factor. It can be very fluid and that's why the offensive coordinator makes the big bucks or gets fired.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2651
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 12:19:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Armon Watts was really good as a rookie.

Of 19 rookie DT/DL playing 100+ snaps:
5th in PFF overall grade: 69.6
1st in pass rush grade: 74.5
9th in run defense grade: 60.7
1st in run stop percentage: 10.4%*
2nd in pass rush productivity: 5.7%*

*best of any Vikings DT in 2019

Krauser on Twitter

Those 2 together seem a bit odd.

That stood out to me also.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2652
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 1:04:03 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Winters plays RG. I think the plan is more Samia or Udoh for that spot otherwise we would have probably kept Kline esp being we didn't save much money cutting him.

if i could add one solid position player to this team it would a guard...we've got hope on the right side and nothing on the left side....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2653
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 1:10:24 PM   
Mr. Ed

Spielman gets a deal through 2023.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 2654
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 1:50:45 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Winters plays RG. I think the plan is more Samia or Udoh for that spot otherwise we would have probably kept Kline esp being we didn't save much money cutting him.

if i could add one solid position player to this team it would a guard...we've got hope on the right side and nothing on the left side....

a true LG seems extremely necessary. but the powers within seem to be having an ill-advised love affair with Elflain.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2655
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 1:53:02 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

I'm sure we'll be seeing a bunch of posts.
Post #: 2656
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 1:55:35 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

I'm sure we'll be seeing a bunch of posts.

I think we all knew this was coming when Cousins was extended

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2657
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 3:25:39 PM   
Bruce Johnson

We have trade per Adam Shefter.

Vikings are trading a conditional 7th-round pick to the Raiders for DT PJ Hall; Raiders will receive the pick if Hall is on 53-man roster for 6 games, per source.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2658
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 3:28:12 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Eric Sugarman says he's ok.

https://twitter.com/EricSugarATC/status/1289963849009881090?s=09

Post #: 2659
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 3:31:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Hall was taken five picks before Brian O'Neill in the 2018 second round but wasn't very productive during his two seasons with the Raiders.

His PFF grades (64.9 as a rookie, 70.2 last year) are solid. This is a potentially high-upside addition at a very low cost for the Vikings.

Will Ragatz on Twitter

Post #: 2660
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 3:33:05 PM   
Bruce Johnson

technically the possibility that Vikings could take the option to split rosters into 2 bubbles (those who reported w rookies and those who didn't) and wouldn't have to cut to 80 until Aug 16. This is onerous on clubs, but Vikings may have one of few facilities that can do this

(Arif on Twitter)

Vikings at 80 and players coming off PUP soon

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/3/2020 3:34:24 PM >

Post #: 2661
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 3:33:14 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Vikings are trading a conditional 7th-round pick to the Raiders for DT PJ Hall; Raiders will receive the pick if Hall is on 53-man roster for 6 games, per source.

I'm scanning the spider web for more info. Here's the link from Daily Norseman.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/8/3/21353048/pj-hall-minnesota-vikings-las-vegas-raiders-trade

He was a 2nd round pick in 2018 and played a lot.
He's listed as only 6'0" and 304 pounds. I'm guessing he's heavier than that now. The Raiders for whatever reason were going to release him, but the Vikings wanted first shot at him. We only give up the 7th round pick if he makes our team and lasts 6 or more weeks. I hope we aren't done trying to find an answer to our Nose Tackle problem as Hall was by far more a 3T than a Nose.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/3/2020 3:38:41 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2662
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 3:38:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/8/3/21353048/pj-hall-minnesota-vikings-las-vegas-raiders-trade

He's overweight, but that may be less of an issue at nose tackle. Anyway, potential with low risk.

Post #: 2663
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 3:40:19 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's overweight, but that may be less of an issue at nose tackle. Anyway, potential with low risk.

Yep. Literally nothing to lose. We only give up the 7th round pick if he impresses enough for us to keep him. He's not a Pierce replacement IMO. I still want us to get one. Come on Snacks.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2664
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:00:06 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep. Literally nothing to lose. We only give up the 7th round pick if he impresses enough for us to keep him. He's not a Pierce replacement IMO. I still want us to get one. Come on Snacks.

He probably stayed home like a lot of us have due to Covid and gained weight like a lot of us might have. Of course he's a young professional athlete, so no excuses for him, but it really didn't help that there were no off-season activities even at the teams facilities.

I'm repeating myself, but the Vikings like to draft players that have athleticism and size, but may lack in strength, but that can be worked on more easily than talent. This is not strength, per se, (although it might be part of the issue) but the team obviously believes they can whip him back to shape. He's still on his rookie contract, too.

Post #: 2665
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:02:49 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The #Vikings have made their first two cuts to get down to 80 active players: WR Davion Davis and CB Kemon Hall.

Not too surprising to see them choosing to cut second-year players instead of undrafted rookies.

(Will Ragatz on Twitter)

I chatted with Ragatz briefly and he said this:

Yep, still 11 WRs on the roster. They could afford to move on from one.

Here was Davis' last tweet hours before he was cut:

Man i missed being around the team so much! Glad to get back to work with everyone! Let’s work!Hundred points symbolFace with look of triumph

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/3/2020 5:25:14 PM >

Post #: 2666
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:07:44 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I had to look up who Kemon Hall was. He was a practice squad player last year. I guess he was a long shot from the beginning. I'm honestly not finding much on him. There's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82M74iKXi4

And this. Apparently he was an UDFA originally picked up by the Chargers, but this does not sound like he was too good.

https://boltbeat.com/2019/05/28/los-angeles-chargers-undrafted-rookie-spotlight-kemon-hall/

I was a Davion Davis fan last year based on Leber's comments about him plus highlight videos I watched. It felt like his time was up, though. I mean, there are a lot of young receivers on the team. The emergence of Hollins probably had him doomed.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/3/2020 5:12:01 PM >

Post #: 2667
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:16:00 PM   
Bruce Johnson

P.J. Hall was 6th in run stop % thru week 8 last season according to PFF, so he can get it done, although he trailed off the last half.

He could prove to be an upgrade over Shamar Stephen.

(Warren Ludford on Twitter)

Post #: 2668
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:29:01 PM   
Steve Miller

You just know Spielman has to be writhing in pain having to give up one of his precious 7th round picks for Hall.

Save Us O Lord from the fury of the Norsemen
Post #: 2669
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:30:41 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The transition period might not take as long as some might think for new #Vikings DT P.J. Hall

With the #Raiders, his defensive coordinator was Paul Guenther, who runs a similar scheme to Minnesota after working with Mike Zimmer for multiple years when the two were w/the Bengals

(Adam Patrick on Twitter)

Post #: 2670
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:32:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The #Vikings have made their first two cuts to get down to 80 active players: WR Davion Davis and CB Kemon Hall.

Not too surprising to see them choosing to cut second-year players instead of undrafted rookies.

(Will Ragatz on Twitter)

I chatted with Ragatz briefly and he said this:

Yep, still 11 WRs on the roster. They could afford to move on from one.

Here was Davis' last tweet hours before he was cut:

Man i missed being around the team so much! Glad to get back to work with everyone! Let’s work!Hundred points symbolFace with look of triumph

Wow reading that Tweet is Painful.
The Good news is Mitchell has surpassed at least one of the WRs that were in his way.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2671
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:35:51 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Miller

You just know Spielman has to be writhing in pain having to give up one of his precious 7th round picks for Hall.

IF he has to give it, up and that's a big if, Spielman will be thrilled. That means that Hall is impressing enough that he chooses to keep him around. The draft pick for Hall is conditional on Hall making the team and sticking around for at least 6 games.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2672
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:37:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

P.J. Hall was 6th in run stop % thru week 8 last season according to PFF, so he can get it done, although he trailed off the last half.

He could prove to be an upgrade over Shamar Stephen.

(Warren Ludford on Twitter)

He did it as a 3T last year. Not much idea about how he might do as a Nose Tackle. Hall was 304 coming into the league two years ago.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2673
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:38:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The transition period might not take as long as some might think for new #Vikings DT P.J. Hall

With the #Raiders, his defensive coordinator was Paul Guenther, who runs a similar scheme to Minnesota after working with Mike Zimmer for multiple years when the two were w/the Bengals

(Adam Patrick on Twitter)

That's a plus. I still want Snacks.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2674
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2020 5:54:43 PM   
Pager

Barr and Ifeadi off COVID list.

Need Jefferson off it asap.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2675
Page:   <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode